PDA

View Full Version : Phil Woods (sax) .....RIP

take5
30-09-2015, 07:05
Its been a bad few days for the saxophone world. First Wilton Felder, then Ray Warleigh, a great Australian alto player who lived in London.

But this news......... Phil Woods died yesterday.

He had been ill with Emphysema for many years and in fact retired formally a few weeks ago, but this has still hit me.
He played his last gig 2 weeks ago and announced on stage that night that it would be his last. He did the gig sitting down and had a tank of air next to him, which was hooked up to him and which he seemingly used in between tunes.

In my view, he was THE guy... The best. You want to hear how an alto saxophone should sound. Phil Woods is the guy.

Folks first became aware of him in the 50s and he knew and played with Charlie Parker. In fact he later married Charlie Parkers wife. Then during the 60s 70s and 80s. He was the GUY. Hugely influential on alto sax players everywhere. I tried to get that sound for years and failed miserably.

Many of you non jazzers will have heard him. Although a jazzer, he played on LPs by Steely Dan and Paul Simon, amongst others. But he is probably best known outside jazz for playing the sax solo in Billy Joels "Just the way you are " To my ears he is still playing Jazz in that song. But just so melodic.

And that sound. Nobody sounds like that. That sound was "it" for me for many many years.

I bought as many Phil Woods recordings as I could, and then sadly/ stupidly sold all my vinyl including all this stuff, when CDs came in. What an idiot. Ive gradually been picking up Phil woods Lps again, as I can. They will be played a lot today.

I only saw him once, about 15 years ago in RNCM in Manchester. After just listening on LPs for all those years, I could barely believe I was going to see him and was as excited as a 5 year old at xmas.
It didnt disapoint.
His playing wasnt at the level it had been 20/30 years before, but the sound was.....................
That sound... oh yes.
I remember thinking at the time how lucky I was to finally hear it live after after all those years and before he died ( he was ill then ). it was a "holy grail" moment for me, and a tone that I will never forget.

So long, Phil woods. You were "THE GUY "

take5
30-09-2015, 07:32
Here you go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HaA3YZ6QdJU

He solos at 3.00 and then again on the fade out at the end. Do yourselves a favour and listen to it all.
A master/artist at work

Perfection.

Audio Al
30-09-2015, 12:45
I love good Sax it add so much to music

RIP that man

talisman2
30-09-2015, 14:00
just been looking through my vinyl , I didn't realise how many LPs featured Mr Woods , got to agree with you about that sound ; Pure Gold !!!

talisman2
30-09-2015, 19:44
Brian , check out "Bop City" by Ben Sidran and listen to the title track !! wicked sax solo by the 'Master'

take5
01-10-2015, 07:11
Alf, thanks for that.

yes, I have that on Lp and played it yesterday, along with "up jumped Spring". I took that lp to scalford show a few years ago, and it went down well.

I had a bit of a Phil Woods day yesterday . Fantastic.

the tone, phrasing, time, in your face attitude, gentle, melodic. He really did have everything covered. No wonder he had such a long, highly regarded and in demand career

talisman2
03-10-2015, 20:30
Its been a bad few days for the saxophone world. First Wilton Felder, then Ray Warleigh, a great Australian alto player who lived in London.

He had been ill with Emphysema for many years and in fact retired formally a few weeks ago, but this has still hit me.
He played his last gig 2 weeks ago and announced on stage that night that it would be his last. He did the gig sitting down and had a tank of air next to him, which was hooked up to him and which he seemingly used in between tunes.

In my view, he was THE guy... The best. You want to hear how an alto saxophone should sound. Phil Woods is the guy.

Folks first became aware of him in the 50s and he knew and played with Charlie Parker. In fact he later married Charlie Parkers wife. Then during the 60s 70s and 80s. He was the GUY. Hugely influential on alto sax players everywhere. I tried to get that sound for years and failed miserably.

Many of you non jazzers will have heard him. Although a jazzer, he played on LPs by Steely Dan and Paul Simon, amongst others. But he is probably best known outside jazz for playing the sax solo in Billy Joels "Just the way you are " To my ears he is still playing Jazz in that song. But just so melodic.

And that sound. Nobody sounds like that. That sound was "it" for me for many many years.

I bought as many Phil Woods recordings as I could, and then sadly/ stupidly sold all my vinyl including all this stuff, when CDs came in. What an idiot. Ive gradually been picking up Phil woods Lps again, as I can. They will be played a lot today.

I only saw him once, about 15 years ago in RNCM in Manchester. After just listening on LPs for all those years, I could barely believe I was going to see him and was as excited as a 5 year old at xmas.
It didnt disapoint.
His playing wasnt at the level it had been 20/30 years before, but the sound was.....................
That sound... oh yes.
I remember thinking at the time how lucky I was to finally hear it live after after all those years and before he died ( he was ill then ). it was a "holy grail" moment for me, and a tone that I will never forget.

I have another Ben Sidran Album "On The Live Side" which features Mr Woods on alto sax , so if you ain't got it ! then get it !!

RobbieGong
03-10-2015, 22:20

It didnt disapoint.
That sound... oh yes.

Sad to hear and a fantastic read Alf - Thanks

take5
04-10-2015, 13:19
Sad to hear and a fantastic read Alf - Thanks

LOL.

Robbie. I wrote it. Im Brian.

Alf posted on the thread though. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

RobbieGong
04-10-2015, 18:53
LOL.

Robbie. I wrote it. Im Brian.

Alf posted on the thread though. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

Oops ! Sorry Brian I did actually mean you :o

take5
29-04-2016, 07:04
Ive been having a spell recently of listening to alto, and as usual I end up with Phil Woods.

just found this clip which I havent seen before and thought it was worth sharing.

Willow weep for me as youve never heard it before. 6/8 time..... with the bass line from All Blues. fantastic idea and arrangement.

Sanborn plays really well in this idiom. Love how Woods picks up on Sanborns ending and recreates it at the start of his solo. but then Woods just wails. what a sound and phrasing. I said 6 months ago he was the Guy. Still is.

And what a band!

Fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jUgyG5JtuU