PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith :- Is it just me ?

Audio Al
30-09-2015, 05:14
When Sam first arrived in the music industry I thought " He is different "
Now several years / recordings later my keenness is fading , His voice now grates on my ears when he goes into the high pitched squeal :eek: screech
I now turn the radio down when he comes on

Sorry Sam , you no longer do anything for my audio enjoyment :(

DarrenHW
30-09-2015, 05:49
Me too, one hit wonder riding the momentum while it lasts and now responsible for possibly the worst Bond theme to date :rolleyes:.

nuff
30-09-2015, 06:00
I've always said he sounds like he's in pain when he sings! I can't listen to him at all.

spm
30-09-2015, 07:29
I don't mind hearing the odd track on the radio and quite like the Bond theme but I haven't listened to his album and not particularly keen to on the basis I suspect his style would grate after a while.

rossman
30-09-2015, 15:13
Having listened to a lot of Soul music in my time I have never considered him to be different, more of a copyist.

I did quite like his music when he first appeared on the scene and my wife was playing his album in the car but the longer I listened, the more his slight lisp and especially what sounds to my ears like autotune began to grate on me too.

DarrenHW
30-09-2015, 15:26
Having listened to a lot of Soul music in my time I have never considered him to be different, more of a copyist.

Indeed, just another flavor of the month white guy who sounds a bit black.

lovejoy
30-09-2015, 15:47
I was fooled in the same way by Mumford and Sons when they first appeared.

Riding as they were on the coat tails of Fleet Foxes who were genuinely interesting and talented, I even had conversations at the pub along the lines of 'if you like Fleet Foxes, then you'll like Mumford and Sons'. Fast forward another album and it became abundantly clear that this was no genuine band at all, but another cynical corporate bunch of me-too money grabbing swines who'll jump on whichever bandwagon is rolling into town at the time. They fooled me once and I bought the first album. Listening to the third one made me laugh uncontrollably for multiple seconds.

The only good Sam Smith though is the brewery carrying that name. The singer never fooled me for a second ;-)