PDA

View Full Version : *BARGAIN-priced* Tisbury passive preamp!

Marco
25-09-2015, 19:37
Ok, folks, time for another Billy Bargain from moi, as occasionally I like to 'spread the love', by passing on equipment to AoS members at knock-down prices... So here we have a minty-mint, superb sounding Tisbury passive preamp:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/673/fVzwo5.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/538/ZaSMcn.jpg

This is one of the earlier ones, which is point-to-point wired internally, rather than PCB-based, and I think sounds better for it. It's certainly a great little thing, and the fact that it can live, sonically, with my Croft preamp, says it all! Only selling due to having ordered a Goldpoint passive from the States.

New, these are now £130... I'm asking only £65.00 DELIVERED, anywhere in mainland UK. First to PM me or express interest here, gets it! :cool:

Marco.

mad-moon
25-09-2015, 20:31
yes please...I'll take this Marco ta..pm on way

Marco
25-09-2015, 20:42
Hi Alan,

Replied! :)

Marco.

Marco
25-09-2015, 20:57
Sold to Alan - many thanks! :thumbsup:

Marco.

mad-moon
29-09-2015, 11:25
Wee pre arrived...a neat little box...cheeerz Marco....right... I'm off to give it a run out..magic

Marco
29-09-2015, 11:28
Nice one, mate. Hope you like it! :)

Marco.

mad-moon
29-09-2015, 13:17
The best £65.00 I've ever had the pleasure to spend...what a cracking little tool...As a pre it has just stamped all over my Roksan L3 (which I was using as a pre to my home brew dual mono power amplifier)..this wee Tisbury has taken away the colouration from my power amp inflicted by the Roksan..It is super crisp and clear..and the listening is effortless...I heartily recommend the Tisbury pre to anyone..thanks again Marco

P.S.... anyone wanna buy a Roksan L3 integrated amplifier...mint with remote and box??

DSJR
29-09-2015, 14:45
I know some people prefer an active preamp, but it's my view that ALL active devices add a touch or worse, lose a touch in the signal fed them. It might not be audible in the very best designs, but I've been stunned how even an insensitive power amp (1.3V) can respond well to a good passive.

By the way, unlike some, I don't find the attenuator as used in the Tisbury to be a bottleneck at all (I use two, one per side in my home made passive). I'm sure you can get genuinely better, but my Gawd they cost in comparison (I haven't tried the excellent looking ones at fair prices as used by Anthony TD of this parish).

Marco
29-09-2015, 14:50
The best £65.00 I've ever had the pleasure to spend...what a cracking little tool...As a pre it has just stamped all over my Roksan L3 (which I was using as a pre to my home brew dual mono power amplifier)..this wee Tisbury has taken away the colouration from my power amp inflicted by the Roksan..It is super crisp and clear..and the listening is effortless...I heartily recommend the Tisbury pre to anyone..thanks again Marco

P.S.... anyone wanna buy a Roksan L3 integrated amplifier...mint with remote and box??

Lol - glad it worked! It's doing the same thing in your system, as it did in mine. Nice one - enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
29-09-2015, 15:00
I know some people prefer an active preamp, but it's my view that ALL active devices add a touch or worse, lose a touch in the signal fed them. It might not be audible in the very best designs, but I've been stunned how even an insensitive power amp (1.3V) can respond well to a good passive.

By the way, unlike some, I don't find the attenuator as used in the Tisbury to be a bottleneck at all (I use two, one per side in my home made passive). I'm sure you can get genuinely better, but my Gawd they cost in comparison (I haven't tried the excellent looking ones at fair prices as used by Anthony TD of this parish).

To an extent, Dave, I'd agree. The Tisbury got pretty darn close to offering the 'open window', addictive, musical sound of the Croft, which is why I lived with it happily for the time I had it, especially to save the life of expensive NOS valves :)

However, overall the Croft still had the edge, but considering the huge difference in cost (£4k versus £85, which is what the Tissie cost me originally from ebay), the latter is a remarkable device and shows what good passives can do.

In that respect, I'm hoping that the Goldpoint (at £500 all in, with 47-step dual-mono steppers) will be a step up from the Tisbury, and level the playing field with the Croft. The unit cleared customs today, so I should have it by tomorrow or the day after. Exciting times lie ahead! :cool:

Marco.

jandl100
30-09-2015, 06:21
I know some people prefer an active preamp, but it's my view that ALL active devices add a touch or worse, lose a touch in the signal fed them.

So do passive preamps, Dave, so do passives. ;)
I've had quiet a few, and they all have their own unique sonic signature.
Personally, I think the Tis is one of the best of them - curiously, I prefer it to the noticeably more transparent point-to-point wired Glasshouse #1 passive I had at the same time as the Tis. The Tis seems to be more in tune with the music, somehow. :scratch:

mad-moon
30-09-2015, 08:40
So do passive preamps, Dave, so do passives. ;)
I've had quiet a few, and they all have their own unique sonic signature.
Personally, I think the Tis is one of the best of them - curiously, I prefer it to the noticeably more transparent point-to-point wired Glasshouse #1 passive I had at the same time as the Tis. The Tis seems to be more in tune with the music, somehow. :scratch:

I agree Jerry...My Roksan L3 was my pre..and coloured the sound something terrible..however the Roksan as an integrated it is a cracker..getting back to the Tisbury..my music has blossomed..It is the cleanest crispest sound I've had to date...It just seems to have melded with my system..like it was made for it...huge souind stage opened right up..and even at silly louder volumes the clarity is exceptional...the dynamics at lower volumes are more defined also...which is something I've struggled with in the past..

Marco
30-09-2015, 09:50
Great to hear that, Alan. It's always satisfying selling kit to someone, and them getting such satisfaction from it. Shows too that I don't buy any old rubbish! :D

Marco.

mad-moon
30-09-2015, 09:55
Great to hear that, Alan. It's always satisfying selling kit to someone, and them getting such satisfaction from it. Shows too that I don't buy any old rubbish! :D

Marco.

:thumbsup: