PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new laptop/music server please

hal55
24-09-2015, 07:00
My lenovo laptop is ancient and is now really starting to give evidence of dying soon. I'm after a cheap Ebay replacement which will perform duties as a music server (I use a Lite Audio DAC), Facebook and Youtube viewer and emails. The most intensive program I run is Photoshop as I'm a keen amateur photographer.
I don't need a high powered machine and reliability and longevity, plus a good quality screen for photo editing are more important than nearly anything else. I do stream downloaded content to the TV, one of the few modern things I've caught up with. Games are of absolutely no interest.
Typical ebay brands in the price range I'm looking at are Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Toshiba. Although my existing Lenovo has been very good recent comments I've heard about them are not nearly as positive.
Simply, what brands are good, what should I stay away from? In the price range I'm looking at 500gb seems typical but I'll add an external HD which should bump up total storage to 1.5tb, way more than enough.
Any comments o help a real computer luddite much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hal55

Mark Grant
24-09-2015, 09:50
What's the budget as the choices are endless ?

I like lenovo and many places sell refurbs at good prices here in England, not sure about in Australia though.

I think a separate simple low cost laptop for music streaming and then another more powerful with a better screen and higher resolution for photosahop and web/emails would be better as the sure way to slow down and destroy any windows installation is to browse the internet and click on links in emails etc.

When you get a newer laptop consider reformatting the old one and reinstalling windows and trying that as a nice and clean music laptop that wont get corrupted by using it online a lot.
Fitting an SSD hard drive in an old laptop will transform it and SSD are low price.