PDA

View Full Version : Pi Web Radio

JPNut
23-09-2015, 20:00
It may be just me. And then again...

Listening to Pi/Volumio/IQ Audio DAC I am again struck that it sounds much, much better playing Web radio rather than from the attached hard drive.

What is it? My ears? The rest of the system is Prima Luna 3/5 & Kef Reference 1s. Not exactly super hi fi but good enough to tell good from - not as good.

Answers on a postcard........

struth
23-09-2015, 20:11
Very odd that. I'd say mine is way better the other way round

JPNut
23-09-2015, 21:00
Interesting. This isn't a slight difference either. Any other thoughts welcome.

struth
23-09-2015, 21:05
Could be a gain issue. Volumio does require some setting up re levels, in the linux via a keyboard and tv screen. You could try moode and see if you are still of the same mind. It doesn't require ny setting up bar what you can do from your tablet or whatever your controlling it with. I would say its better in every way into the bargain.

JPNut
23-09-2015, 21:09
I'll give it a go over the weekend and report back. Thanks for the feedback

lovejoy
24-09-2015, 10:04
Interesting find - I've never played directly from a hard drive, only ever over the network. I know that the Pi's Ethernet shares its resources with the USB, so there maybe some contention or latency issues going on - Is your USB HDD self powered or is it drawing current from the Pi? Either of those options could be having an affect. The amount of juice the hard drive is taking from the Pi might be affecting quality, or a nasty external SMPS powering the HD could be leaking all sorts of RF/HF noise.

Have you tried streaming your music over the network from a PC/NAS rather than from a directly connected HD? Would be interesting to do a comparison.

mikmas
24-09-2015, 11:29
I get better SQ playing from .WAV files than the radio - but I use an SSD rather than HDD as this runs via the USB power without taxing the Pi power plug as much (the adapter is an 'official' Pi accessory rated at 2 amp). Access to files is also much faster than with HDD, basically a win-win situation ....

I tend to get frequent dropouts listening to radio on Pi - worse with Moode than Volumio (although Moode has a much better and longer station list)

JPNut
24-09-2015, 21:21
The current HDD is a portable device powered not from the pi but from a hub. I have however also tried a self powered HDD with the identical result. I haven't tried streaming from a PC or NAS yet. The Pi itself is directly connected by Ethernet to the router.
I can see that there are many happy (?) hours ahead to get to the bottom of this! The radio sounds very, very good though. If USB was the same quality I'd be a very happy camper indeed.

struth
24-09-2015, 21:25
Shouldnt be a power problem then. may be a level problem. does the hdd sound quiet and thin? mine did on volumio till I set up the section on the tv with a keyboard. Fortunately moode doesnt need you to do that which suits me as I am linux deficient:doh: