PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Cases

tubehunter
30-09-2009, 20:36
My latest project, a DAC without any Opamps.

Just really love working with Acrylic.

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t350/halx00/IMG_4753.jpg

Come and collect Steve.

StanleyB
30-09-2009, 20:45
Very nice. Are you using European or Japanese transistors?

DaveK
30-09-2009, 20:52
My latest project, a DAC without any Opamps.
Just really love working with Acrylic.
Come and collect Steve.

Looks beautiful but I gotta ask: what does it sound like? :)
Cheers,

tubehunter
30-09-2009, 20:55
No transistors either, just taken output direct from the Dac chip via some quality paper in oil capacitors and resistor to ground. Gives about 1.4v out so a preamp is needed.
But I must say it sounds fantastic, very real.

Duncan

leo
30-09-2009, 20:58
Love it! I've no problem with electronics but totally useless with the casework

Give us a clue of the dac, any pics without the lid:eyebrows:

leo
30-09-2009, 20:59
No transistors either, just taken output direct from the Dac chip via some quality paper in oil capacitors and resistor to ground. Gives about 1.4v out so a preamp is needed.
But I must say it sounds fantastic, very real.

Duncan

So passive I/V , is it NOS? parallel TDA1543 maybe?

StanleyB
30-09-2009, 21:25
I did a a similar design using the PCM1781, which gives out 2Vrms. Fantastic sound when used with low capacitance cable, but it really needed a buffer output in order to combat difficult interconnect loads. It was also temperamental with different preamps input impedance.

tubehunter
30-09-2009, 21:27
24bit/192khz Multi-bit Delta-Sigma

DaveK
30-09-2009, 21:43

Wish folks would only post in English - I'm rubbish at Greek!:lolsign:

StanleyB
30-09-2009, 21:56
Just like the Caiman then;). Looks real cool in blue. The only real change I would have made is to engrave your brand name on one front panel and bond a second one onto it. Once the light hits that, it really sticks out then. The existing white and red colours you use somehow take away a bit of the 'in your face' appeal of the case work. But that's just me, so don't take it as a criticism:).

Steve Toy
30-09-2009, 22:07
I would love to collect it before the weekend...

Dave Cawley
30-09-2009, 22:48
FET source follower next?

Dave

Marco
30-09-2009, 23:26
Looking fantastic, Dunc - the Toyster's wetting his pants already! :lolsign:

No doubt I'll get to hear it soon...

Marco.

John
01-10-2009, 07:21
Great work Duncan I bet Steve will love it

RochaCullen
01-10-2009, 08:03
Did you make the case, or buy it as is?

StanleyB
01-10-2009, 08:20
Generally speaking, you can design the case and have it made in acrylic. That's what I did. If you are thinking of using acrylic, contact Andy at:
Plastic Online
Tel: 01482 333 800
Email: info@plasticonline.co.uk
Web: www.plasticonline.co.uk
Unit 2 Pioneer Park, Clough Road, Hull, East Yorkshire, HU6 7HW

I designed an audio rack and submitted it to several companies around the UK. Andy was the only guy I could find who understood what I wanted, how professional I wanted it to be, and could actually make it to my specifications. Communication was outstanding and price was bank balance friendly:).
He can even make turntable platters,covers, and base out of acrylic!
Just mention Stanley from Home HIFI recommended him.

tubehunter
01-10-2009, 12:08
Yes I made the case. Front panel is 10mm clear, top 3mm translucent blue and the back/base is 3mm frosted blue Acrylic. Four Aluminium struts are used as strengtheners. Rubber feet.
I like to use only non-ferous materials in my projects.

I'm lucky enough to have a job where I maintain four fully stocked Engineering workshops and a Heat treatment suite.

So just about any job is feasible with any material.
It's a good job I'm not into Vinyl any more or I'd be making turntables from scratch.

Next I 'm casting some real big heat sinks for the F5 class A amp.

Marco
01-10-2009, 13:28
It's a good job I'm not into Vinyl any more or I'd be making turntables from scratch.

Now that's something I'd love to see!

Who knows what the future holds... Sounds to me like you could be tempted if the project was intriguing enough ;)

It also sounds to me that Stan and you could 'team up' in some way, perhaps in terms of you making some cases for his designs?

One to ponder, I feel, for both of you... :)

Marco.

P.S Has the Toyster been and gone yet?

Tripmaster
05-10-2009, 13:32
Yes I made the case. Front panel is 10mm clear, top 3mm translucent blue and the back/base is 3mm frosted blue Acrylic. Four Aluminium struts are used as strengtheners. Rubber feet.
I like to use only non-ferous materials in my projects.

I'm lucky enough to have a job where I maintain four fully stocked Engineering workshops and a Heat treatment suite.

So just about any job is feasible with any material.

Next I 'm casting some real big heat sinks for the F5 class A amp.

Hi

A friend of mine will require a pair of heat sinks for his F2. If your casting works out OK would you be interested in making a couple more?

Thanks

Richard