PDA

View Full Version : A 'hello' from Northamptonshire

Vulcanzero1
21-09-2015, 16:27
First post, despite being a member since 2012. That's because I need some help please!

Some background first though. I'm 65, have tinnitus from too many rock concerts and I can't hear above about 6k! But I still love my music and my hi-fi starting from when my parents bought me my first complete Quad system from Horns in Oxford, next to my old school in 1966. I added up the number of Quad items I've owned the other day and it totals 22. Now the obligatory system summary:-

2 x Quad Eighty's
1 x Quad QC-24 preamp
1 x Quad QC-24P phono preamp
Revox B710 Mk2 cassette recorder
Trigon Chronolog music server with 500GB SSD
Auralic Vega DAC
Technics SP10 Mk2 + SME V + Micro Benz Glider cartridge in a rather beautiful solid ebony/stainless steel plinth made by yours truly. See here if you're interested http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/charles-toop-turntable-project.php
Stax SR-009 headphones + modified Stax SRM-T1S energiser
Eminent Technology LFT8-b planar magnetic ribbon hybrid loudspeakers
REL Stentor Mk3 sub

And a Revox A700 on the way!

Music taste is sort of varied - Pink Floyd, Genesis, Mindy Smith, Eric Clapton, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, etc. I try to go to a few concerts every year. Art Garfunkel in Oxford last Saturday with David Gilmour coming up at the RAH later this week as examples.

And my username relates to my involvement with Vulcan XH558 as a photographer for the last 30 years, ie. ever since it became the display aircraft in the RAF. So far have had 4 air-air photography sorties with it and another one or two before it finally finishes flying in October.

Now I've done all this, I'll wait patiently until I can ask my question!

Spectral Morn
21-09-2015, 18:38
Welcome to AoS Charlie

Nice system and that's a beautiful Sp10 and a lovely plinth you have made.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
22-09-2015, 09:54
Hello Charles. Welcome to AOS.

That's a nice system you have.

I'm not sure what your question is. If it's a general Hi-Fi query, start a thread in the Blank Canvas area and ask away.

If it's about vinyl playback, Analogue Arts is the spot. There is a sub-forum dedicated to Technics there too.

Your hearing is not much different to mine. I'm a little older. I seemingly can't hear much above 6kHz, although I sense if higher frequencies are missing. Fortunately, I don't have tinnitus these days. Had a touch years ago.

Your involvement with Vulcan XH558 is interesting. Some photos in the non-Hi-Fi, Abstract Chat section would be good. There are many aviation fans here (me included).

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Vulcanzero1
23-09-2015, 14:33
Hello Geoff
Thanks for your reply. The question is going to be about magnetic tape for the Revox A700. I think that goes in the analogue Arts section so will give it a try.
And I'll try to upload one or two Vulcan pics. I don't use dropbox or any external hosting so if I can't upload files direct from my PC, it's going to be difficult.

cheers
Charles

walpurgis
23-09-2015, 15:00
Analogue Arts is OK for tape queries.

If you want to start a thread in Abstract Chat about Vulcans. You can email photo's to me and I can add them.

Barry
27-09-2015, 20:16
Welcome to AoS Charlie.

We seem to be about the same age and have followed a similar path, re Quad equipment. I can actually beat your record, simply because I'm a bit of a Quad fanatic and to datehave had 25 items pass through my hands, of which 20 remain.

Love your TT and arm, especially in that beautiful plinth of yours! I have heard Eminent technology speakers at an audio show and was rather taken with them.

Applaude your tastes in music, again very similar to my own.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry