PDA

View Full Version : An itch is turning into a scratch

Clive197
20-09-2015, 08:36
Have any of you guys owned (or own) a Devialet amp, preferably the 200? Have any of you had experience of the product?

I'm seriously thinking of chopping in all my Cyrus kit and buying said item.

Please help me and talk me out of such madness. OR IS IT? :scratch:

Clive

jandl100
20-09-2015, 09:05
Some folks love them others say that they are kind of greyed out tonally and uninteresting.

I guess you just have to hear them for yourself and make your own mind up.

hifi_dave
23-09-2015, 17:36
They do the job, if that's what you want. A one box solution.

Personally, I found them a bit uninvolving.

amsterdam
24-09-2015, 12:49

Quite a change of heart Dave:scratch:http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?31522-Devialet-at-Radlett-Audio&highlight=hi-fi_dave+devialet & http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?26311-Radlett-Audio-blog-(occasional)-on-The-Art-of-Sound/page8&highlight=hi-fi_dave+devialet

Macca
24-09-2015, 13:30
If you are happy now why change? I never understood the whole 'reduce the box count' thing. I know minimalism is fashionable and no-one wants a load of clutter everywhere if they can help it, but at the same time it can be a bit obsessive to care about it either way - what is worse: obsessing about having too few possessions or too many?

overtsi
24-09-2015, 13:43
Clive,

You really do need to listen to one at home, particularly if you are thinking of using the built-in MC phono input, because it is very noisy.

With Spendor D7s you will be getting very audible hiss on the phono input at surprisingly low level listening.

Yomanze
24-09-2015, 14:12
If anything gets a huge amount of forum coverage then I know not to touch it, because it's hard to cut through the marketing & forum hype.

Devialet are in this place at the moment... will they be 5yrs from now? No.

Fashions come and go, true quality lasts forever.

Tarzan
24-09-2015, 14:46
I heard the 240 is it, a couple of years back and it sounded blooming great to my ears, speakers were Sonus Faber, forget them source, however l thought it sounded superb, l know this does not help much.:rolleyes:

Clive197
24-09-2015, 21:14
Latest update.

Today I went for a dem on the 200. A non starter, sounded thin to my ears even while playing through D7's and with the OPPO BDP-105D as a source.

However also listened to the 400 (a 200 with another 200 as a slave)...... WOW that's better. Problem it costs the best part of £10,000. OUCH!

Clive197
25-09-2015, 08:11
Clive,

You really do need to listen to one at home, particularly if you are thinking of using the built-in MC phono input, because it is very noisy.

With Spendor D7s you will be getting very audible hiss on the phono input at surprisingly low level listening.

Interested on how you know that. When I had the dem, I listened to a record and could hear no such hiss, in fact it was very quite. I always check to hear how noisy a Phonostage is by turning up the volume when the TT is at idle.

Clive197
25-09-2015, 17:00

That's funny Dave, according to your website your a Devialet dealer!:scratch:

Barry
25-09-2015, 21:13
That's funny Dave, according to your website your a Devialet dealer!:scratch:

See post #4 supra.

Joe
26-09-2015, 11:40
Clive,

Not in my experience. The phono stage is excellent, and much quieter than the one it replaced.

overtsi
26-09-2015, 12:01
Joe,

Admittedly I use a very LOMC - 0.2mV - I believe your VdH comes in at 0.65? - which could account for much of the perceived hiss, but even at a middling level 0.35mV I still find the MC phono audible.

I would also hope that the MC stage of your D Premier would be better than my D200.
Sid

Clive197
26-09-2015, 15:21
Due to various issues with the Devialet 400 including not being able to play direct from a NAS, flaky AIR and a very small round display window which can only be seen if you look from directly above, I'm coming down very strongly on staying with what I've got.

Clive197
28-09-2015, 16:57
Decision made. The grass is always greener on the other side. Staying with Cyrus. Better the devil you know.