PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful craftsmanship

hermit
19-09-2015, 12:16
Stumbled on these (simonmearsaudio.com/uccello-horn-loudspeakers.html) beautifully crafted Uccello horns yesterday. I hope that they sound as good as they look. Anyway, given the price of £10,500, I bought my first euromillions ticket last night. I lost. There's always next week:)

YNWaN
19-09-2015, 13:22
Oh, I've heard those quite a few times.

hermit
19-09-2015, 16:09
Oh, I've heard those quite a few times.

Please do tell. What was your opinion of them?

YNWaN
19-09-2015, 16:40
They were good - my friend Tony who owns Some Klipsch La Scala was very taken with them and they are certainly nicely made - not really my thing though.

hermit
19-09-2015, 16:48
Thanks. They're really just a fantasy for me unless I win the lottery. They look really good value when you consider the craftsmanship.

Gordon Steadman
19-09-2015, 17:36
Just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't need my wife to object to those arriving in the music room. Not my sort of thing at all.

Marco
19-09-2015, 17:47
Yup, me neither. Sorry, Paul!

Also, the time I heard them (at the Cranage Hall show earlier this year, in the Puresound room), they sounded rather coloured... And I'm certainly not a horn hater. In the right set up, no other speakers, IMO, can get real instruments, such as trumpet and sax, so right :)

Marco.

PaulStewart
21-09-2015, 19:17
Maybe it's a Paul Thang..... I love 'em, love LaScalas and Klipshorns too.

Marco
21-09-2015, 22:38
Hi Paul,

I certainly wouldn't write them off with just one listen at a show. However, on that occasion, the Uccellos didn't really appeal to me, sonically or aesthetically.

One of the best examples of horns I've heard were demonstrated at the same show (Cranage Hall), in the G-Point Audio room, which were the Universum 3 mk II: http://gpoint-audio.com/our-collection/autotech/

Pretty much awesome in every way, and without a hint of obvious horn coloration - just a huge big 'live' sound!! Gorgeous looking too, in an 'art sculpture' kind of way :)

Marco.