PDA

View Full Version : And a good evening from London....

zingyzangyzongy
17-09-2015, 22:45
Hi folks,

Thought I had better join a hifi forum as I have been lurking about many sites especially those relating to vintage hifi which is something I have just 'discovered'. Don't know why it has taken me so long, but there you go - better late than never! I'm no expert by any means, but I've spent plenty of time in recording studios and appreciate a decent sound. I'm more the sort of person who buys gear and lives with it for a long time, rather than endlessly chasing something elusive. At the moment I love my current setup.

In 1985 my first hifi was an MF A1 amp/SystemdekII/Yamaha CDP/Nakamichi BX125E/Gale 301 setup bought new. I still use the turntable and I recently refoamed the speakers, but they live in the loft along with the tape machine. CDP was replaced by Marantz CD63MkIIKI. I recently bought what I consider a beautiful -looking and -sounding Yamaha CR700 (1971?), and immediately realised how wimpy my MF amp was (no offence to A1 fans!), and sold it. I have never looked back. Next I bought a tatty but cheap pair of Ditton 44s (1972ish), contemporary to my receiver and tarted them up cosmetically as they were pretty banged up around the corners and the speaker cloth was literally crumbling. They look so much better and sound great (or did until tonight, but I'll be starting a thread on that asap!). I also have a Sony 6055 which I haven't really got know yet, though aesthetically the Yamaha wins hands down for me. ;-) I have a few other bits n bobs too.

I like most music forms, but particularly (in no particular order) jazz/rnb/soul/experimental/avant garde/pop/rock/blues/dance/some classical, etc

struth
17-09-2015, 22:56
Welcome Pim. We have a few members who have Dit 44's and they are well regarded in vintage terms. Speakers I find n many ways have not got much better than some of the old great ones

zingyzangyzongy
17-09-2015, 23:05
Thanks Grant. Nice to be here :-)

I'm just trying to figure out where to ask my question regarding some work I've been doing on my gear, and a resultant problem with my Dittons (or one, anyway!).

struth
17-09-2015, 23:19
Try blank canvas for starters and if needed it can be moved later Pim

walpurgis
17-09-2015, 23:23
Hi Pim. Welcome to AOS.

Vintage gear is very popular here, so you'll be in good company.

There are quite a few members who use Ditton 44s. If you have questions about them, try asking in the Blank Canvas area. I'm sure you'll get loads of replies.

Yes, the Yamaha CR-700 is a nice bit of kit. Yamaha were one of the best quality makes of that time and I personally rank them alongside Luxman, Sansui and Harman Kardon as Japanese origin superior quality gear.

Feel free to bung some pictures in the Gallery section. They're always appreciated.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

zingyzangyzongy
17-09-2015, 23:26
Thanks Geoff (and Grant), I will head over there now.
Pics will be forthcoming once I have figured out how to do it.

Cheers!

Spectral Morn
18-09-2015, 11:20
Welcome to AoS Pim

Regards Neil

Barry
18-09-2015, 22:23
Welcome to AoS Pim.

What was your involvement in recording studios - are/were you a recording engineer?

We love vintage equipment here as well, and I commend you on your broad taste in music. :)

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry

zingyzangyzongy
18-09-2015, 23:19
Hi Neil and Barry

Indeed it is a warm welcome here - like the sounds we listen to, no doubt :) Thanks very much.

I have just had my first problem solved here by some tweaking of my Ditton 44s - all the more frustrating because I had a new cd of The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy album that I was desperate to play. However, now I can hear it, although quiet at this time of night. I think it's going to be almost as good as the Backstabbers album.

Barry, my involvement in studios was as a musician. I still have a small recording setup using Mac and ProTools through nearfield Yamaha MSP5s, which I like, but not as cosy and fat as my Dittons. Once you have recorded and mastered records through the highest-quality studio systems it is hard to accept poor sound at home. I'm not an obsessive, but it doesn't cost much to rise far above the dross that is often sold as 'hifi'!

I look forward to rummaging around this forum - I have it feeling it might become costly :D

walpurgis
18-09-2015, 23:33
Glad you got the 44s sorted. What was the problem?

Improving your system does not have to cost a fortune. I'm a firm believer in getting the best sound for my pound (I'm a skinflint :)).

There are some clever choices that can be made when upgrading. Making your own gear is always a good option if you have the tech knowhow. Or, using quality refurbished vintage stuff can pay dividends.

I see you're in London too Pim. Whereabouts?

zingyzangyzongy
19-09-2015, 00:05
Hey Geoff

My thread is now in Past Masters about the 44s, but basically I had a short on the speaker socket plate, but all sorted now, happily.

I just get so much pleasure from my current 'new' setup aesthetically and aurally that it will be a while before I change. I just love those moments when you put on an album you haven't listened to in ages and hear something new - I put on Heroes by Bowie and heard a tambourine that I had never noticed in 35+ years! That is the joy.

I also love the idea of refurbing/reusing or generally keeping old things working.

I'm in Dulwich. And I'm off to bed.

Night!

Floyddroid
19-09-2015, 15:33
Welcome Pim.

Great system, great views and a good mix of music genres you like. I hope you enjoy it here. it's still the best forum to be part of.