PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Selling Vinyl...

rdpx
14-09-2015, 14:21
Hi there,

I seem to have come into possession of a number of very decent condition vintage LPs, some of which seem to be quite valuable and many of which I think I should probably sell on.

I was wondering whether anyone on here had any experience or advice they would be willing to share.

Where is the best place to sell records? eBay? Discogs? on here?

If eBay, is BUY IT NOW better than plain auction?

I have a couple of classical DECCA "Factory Sample" records. If just normal pressings they appear to be fairly valuable (£30 or so on Popsike etc). Does the fact that they are test pressings increase the value?

I have a 6 LP set that is Near Mint, apart from a small scratch on the first 1m 20s of side 1. I believe value to be around £80 if MINT. Does the scratch render it valueless? (this particular example DECCA: WAGNER/TRISTAN/SOLTI)

What is best to do with LPs of small value? Job lot, car boot or 0.99p eBay auction?

The LPs I have are predominantly classical, with a couple of valuable looking DECCA ones. There are also some valuable looking rock (EG. Physical Graffiti/Exile on Main Street) that look like they have just come from the shop, and a fair few 70s ATLANTICs and other Jazz titles.

Any advice or experience would b e greatly appreciated.

Robert

Macca
14-09-2015, 14:54
I'd sell them here first. No fees and much less likely to be mucked around by a buyer. Check eBay completed listings for an idea of value - rare vinyl in good condition tends to sell quite fast here.

A scratch will reduce value but depends how bad it is. A soft click or two is not generally a deal-breaker, but something that sounds like a pistol shot might well be.

struth
14-09-2015, 14:56
Book prices are just that. A guide to what has been paid, not what will be. A scratch that takes ouf a track will reduce the value. How much? Depends on the rarity and elstwhere condition of the whole package. Ie someone may have a tatty set but a decent 1st record. For classical stuff just sjop around and see who has the biggest sales.. Discogs get good sales if your competitive ... Here you can sell a lot cheaper as you have no costs and little risk. Ebay is potentially a huge audience but the costs are high and conmen everywhere.

rdpx
14-09-2015, 16:06
Book prices are just that. A guide to what has been paid, not what will be. A scratch that takes ouf a track will reduce the value. How much? Depends on the rarity and elstwhere condition of the whole package. Ie someone may have a tatty set but a decent 1st record. For classical stuff just sjop around and see who has the biggest sales.. Discogs get good sales if your competitive ... Here you can sell a lot cheaper as you have no costs and little risk. Ebay is potentially a huge audience but the costs are high and conmen everywhere.

Good point about eBay being a hassle. I sold an Ortofon Concorde a couple of months back, and while it all went through with no problems, the buyer took about two weeks to pay me and ignored all communications...

I'll do a bit of research into prices etc and maybe list a couple on here to see what people think. I don't want to be seen as profiteering from the members - though I suppose I will soon find out if anyone thinks I am asking too much. The Exile on Main Street copy I have is 1st press and seems to be effectively brand new, and seems to sell for anything from about £40 up to £100. I'll have a closer look at prices/condition.

R

twotone
14-09-2015, 16:15
I sell on Discogs but the fees are high along with the Paypal fees, much better off selling on the forums but make sure you grade properly, record collectors are a funny bunch and very very sensitive too:eek:

take5
14-09-2015, 16:26
I seem to have come into possession of a number of very decent condition vintage LPs, some of which seem to be quite valuable .

The LPs I have are predominantly classical, with a couple of valuable looking DECCA ones.

The world of valuable classical is very complicated. in general first pressings are the valuable ones.
So a first pressing could be worth £1000, with a 3rd pressing worth £10.

For example, you mention that you have some Decca. Not all Decca are valuable.

What you are looking for is the SXL versions. within that, you want the first pressing. usually called ED1
this will have what is called a wide band. there will be a groove. it will say "Original recording by " at about 10 o clock on the label. ED2 will say "made in england"
It is obviously in your interest to know tjis stuff and to find out exactly what you have.

Google DECCA SXL WIDE BAND ED1, or some variation.

good luck.

Send us a post card from whichever exotic country you retire to after you find all the valuable decca stuff

rdpx
14-09-2015, 18:35
The world of valuable classical is very complicated.

I know!!

I have a few SXLs - I think the ones I have are in the £20-50 zone though, no huge rarities.

A couple of them are factory samples though, and I was wondering if that would make them more valuable?

[e.g. SXL 6444 - Zubin Mehta/LA Phil/Stravinsky Sacre du Printemps - sold for between £16-£30 as normal label]

R

Wakefield Turntables
14-09-2015, 18:46
I own a Tom Jones factory sample on DECCA, it cost 50p!

PaulStewart
14-09-2015, 19:12
Hi Robert,

Classical stuff I don't have a list of, bu ifyou PM me the rock stuff with the catalogue numbers I'll check the in the Rare Record Collectors book for you. That will give you a starting point

Cheers

rdpx
14-09-2015, 22:02
Hi Robert,

Classical stuff I don't have a list of, bu ifyou PM me the rock stuff with the catalogue numbers I'll check the in the Rare Record Collectors book for you. That will give you a starting point

Cheers
Thanks Paul. I'll drop you a line in next day or so. R

twotone
15-09-2015, 07:26
Great resource here for Decca labels and records.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8266

rdpx
15-09-2015, 15:01
Thanks Tony - that's a really useful page. I have a couple of the Philips Hi-Fi Stereo labels, plus the sought after Columbias.

I have been doing a lot of looking up on Popsike over the past day or so and am constantly finding gems. I have stumbled on some that at first search appear to be worth £100 or £200, then realise they are either non-quad pressings [Deaf School], or UK 1st pressings [Hall & Oates] so only in the £10-£30 range.The Physical Grafitti that I have however, does seem to have 1st pressing Matrix numbers and would appear to be worth well over £300. Description of it matches THIS ONE (http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=121070279121) pretty much exactly.

spm
15-09-2015, 15:24
5 or 6 years ago when money was a bit tight and I didn't think I would play vinyl anymore I sold some records. Looking at completed listings I had some which seemed to be exactly the same with same matrix numbers that sold well with lots of bids and mine made only a fraction of the price with few bids, even when I thought mine were in better condition. I even used very similar description (where appropriate). I put it down to not having an established vinyl selling reputation on ebay so I would caution against getting too optimistic. However it also worth saying that prices then were very much lower than they seem to be now - prices really seem to have taken off.

struth
15-09-2015, 15:33
Vinyl buying and selling is firnicketty business at best. Lowish demand rarities can make huge money one week and not sell a few weeks later. Zeppelin stuff though if rarish always sells as its high demand

rdpx
17-09-2015, 00:53
Vinyl buying and selling is firnicketty business at best. Lowish demand rarities can make huge money one week and not sell a few weeks later. Zeppelin stuff though if rarish always sells as its high demand

I think the tactic with the low demand ones is to just hang on to them. I mean if I have a good condition copy of a record that I can see has consistently sold for £40 or so over the past few years, then if it doesn't sell quickly, it doesn't mean that it is no longer worth £40.

I guess this is also what I need to think about RE eBay auction/BIN and also how to set the start price.

I think being very honest about condition is going to be vital here as well.

R