PDA

View Full Version : Going back to valves I think...

Haselsh1
13-09-2015, 15:52
You know, I have never been truly happy with any form of amplification and have changed my mind countless times since 1997 when I bought my first valve power amplifier, but recently, after three years of transistors albeit with a valve pre, I am now seriously considering an Icon Audio 6AS7 triode integrated amplifier for the remainder of my hi-fi and music days. I am seriously hoping that this will happen before Christmas of this year so that I may enjoy those gorgeous blue electron clouds over the winter months and so that I can hear the sounds of Mr Knopfler via a beautiful liquid midrange that this amplifier will give. My current Croft Micro 25 Basic will be used purely as a phono stage for use with a forthcoming Ortofon 2M Silver and that, as they say, will be that, for quite a while.

Audio Al
13-09-2015, 16:30
Top man , can't better a good valve setup :D

Firebottle
13-09-2015, 16:46
Shaun, you've expressed an interest in my new power amp so I would be very happy for you to trial it with no obligation.
As you have said you aren't in a huge rush that suits the situation well.

Macca has also said he is interested so once I have one built I will get it over to the UK for trials :)

Ali Tait
13-09-2015, 17:46
Aye, count me in Alan please.

Haselsh1
13-09-2015, 18:22
Guys, to be totally honest, I haven't a f+++ing clue what I shall do next but because of that I shall do nothing until the end of the year. I do know that my amplification will change because my current power amps are now over twenty years old and I don't trust them. I am always extremely grateful to people who offer me sincerity and so with that in mind, I am truly looking forward to my hi-fi future.

SteveTheShadow
13-09-2015, 18:59
Aye, you can't beat a good glowy valve amp.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7181882/IMG_0032.jpg

Marco
13-09-2015, 19:00
Very nice, Would love to hear that sometime, Steve :)

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
13-09-2015, 19:05
Aye, you can't beat a good glowy valve amp.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7181882/IMG_0032.jpg

What is it?

User211
13-09-2015, 19:10
What is it?

Yeah.

User211
13-09-2015, 19:11
Guys, to be totally honest, I haven't a f+++ing clue what I shall do next but because of that I shall do nothing until the end of the year. I do know that my amplification will change because my current power amps are now over twenty years old and I don't trust them. I am always extremely grateful to people who offer me sincerity and so with that in mind, I am truly looking forward to my hi-fi future.

Mere whippersnappers:)

Stratmangler
13-09-2015, 19:20
I am now seriously considering an Icon Audio 6AS7 triode integrated amplifier for the remainder of my hi-fi and music days

Why?
I thought you liked listening to music.

I've heard Icon Audio amplifiers on many occasions, and I've yet to hear one that sounded any good.
There was one Manchester HiFi show when Icon Audio amplifiers were like a rash - all over the place, and not one of the rooms where they were being used sounded any good whatsoever.

You'd be a lot better served talking to Nick (Lurcher) if you want to return to valves, and have him build you something that performs well and does sound decent.

SteveTheShadow
13-09-2015, 19:26
What is it?

It's just something I have developed over a few years.
It is a KT88, class AB push-pull amplifier that uses the output valves in straight pentode mode (not ultralinear)
The screen grids are regulated.
Input/driver section is a set of 12SJ7 pentodes, also with regulated screens.
Feedback is local from the plates of the output valves back round to their grids via the coupling caps from the input stage.
Fixed regulated bias is used on the output stage and the amp only accepts balanced sources.
There is no phase splitter.
As I only use computer audio, I just use the balanced outputs of my Musical Fidelity M1 DAC direct into the XLR
inputs on the back of the amplifier.

Output is probably around 50WPC

SteveTheShadow
13-09-2015, 19:42
Very nice, Would love to hear that sometime, Steve :)

Marco.

We usually go to LLandudno around Easter time so I could drop by Wrexham in the new year.

Marco
13-09-2015, 19:52
Sounds good, mate. Don't forget me :)

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
14-09-2015, 13:32
It's just something I have developed over a few years.
It is a KT88, class AB push-pull amplifier that uses the output valves in straight pentode mode (not ultralinear)
The screen grids are regulated.
Input/driver section is a set of 12SJ7 pentodes, also with regulated screens.
Feedback is local from the plates of the output valves back round to their grids via the coupling caps from the input stage.
Fixed regulated bias is used on the output stage and the amp only accepts balanced sources.
There is no phase splitter.
As I only use computer audio, I just use the balanced outputs of my Musical Fidelity M1 DAC direct into the XLR
inputs on the back of the amplifier.

Output is probably around 50WPC

Very nice job there! Strange choice of driver valve, what made you choose the 12SJ7?

SteveTheShadow
14-09-2015, 13:44
Cheaper than 6SJ7 due to the 12V heaters.
Also, nobody uses small signal pentodes so they are relatively inexpensive, and they are the perfect valve for
the feedback scheme as they have a very high output impedance, which is exactly what you want with an amp that uses plate to grid feedback.
The high open loop gain also makes it possible to do a two stage, all pentode amp with feedback, and still kick serious butt. :)
I like pentodes. They tend to be looked down on as inferior by everyone except guitar amp makers, but done properly
they are serious high end contenders in terms of the sound quality achievable.

Arkless Electronics
14-09-2015, 14:34
Cheaper than 6SJ7 due to the 12V heaters.
Also, nobody uses small signal pentodes so they are relatively inexpensive, and they are the perfect valve for
the feedback scheme as they have a very high output impedance, which is exactly what you want with an amp that uses plate to grid feedback.
The high open loop gain also makes it possible to do a two stage, all pentode amp with feedback, and still kick serious butt. :)
I like pentodes. They tend to be looked down on as inferior by everyone except guitar amp makers, but done properly
they are serious high end contenders in terms of the sound quality achievable.

Hmm lateral thinking.. like it!