PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Outer Hebrides

Sirfalot
13-09-2015, 12:27
Recently found this forum whilst hunting for recommendations for new music. My tastes are varied:

Jazz - Maceo Parker, Manu Katche, Till Bronner, Mario Biondi
Blues - Pete Alderton, Muddy Waters
Female Vocal - Silje Nergaard, Kari Bremnes, Ai Otsuka, Alan, Stina Nordenstam
Male vocal - Richard Hawley, Chris Jones
Rap/Dubstep - Franco El Gorilla, Burial
Rock/Pop- The War On Drugs, Pizzicato 5
Ambient/Electro - SOHN, Bent, Marconi Union
I also listen to a lot of chamber music and opera.

System is Naim Unitiqute 2 - Chord Hugo - Naim XS2 - PMC Twenty.23. Headphones are Sennheiser HD800.

I would be delighted to receive any recommendations for new music.

Barry
13-09-2015, 14:53
Welcome to AoS Phil,

I have to confess I haven't heard of much of your listed artist(e)s, apart from Manu Katche and Muddy Waters - so I'm not going to be able to help you much with any recommendations for new music.

That said, I'm enjoying music of a recent discovery: The Esbjörn Svensson Trio, and Bugge Wesseltoft.

I'm sure there will be other Members who will be along shortly with some recommendations,

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry

Eisener Bart
13-09-2015, 15:16
Welcome, Phil!

walpurgis
13-09-2015, 15:32
Hi Phil. Welcome to AOS.

Interesting music choices.

If you have plans for any changes in your Hi-Fi system we'd like to hear about them.

As for music.

How about a bit of Natalie Merchant, formerly of 10.000 Maniacs. She has an appealing voice and plays with top class musicians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_Wqtnlv4U

Or a bit of UnionJack. That's a bit different: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbhnb1oc9iU

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

dougmon
13-09-2015, 15:43
As far as new music, I'm going to take a somewhat of a leap here.

If you like Maceo Parker, I would think you might like The JB Horns. If you like them, you might try The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, a sort of funkified take on the New Orleans brass band (or maybe this is just what the traditional News Orleans brass bands sound like nowadays).

And if you like funk from New Orleans, you might try Galactic, particularly "Crazyhorse Mongoose" or "Coolin' Off".

As I said, I might be inferring too much from your list, but maybe not.

crackorama
13-09-2015, 17:19
Hello, try Dudu Pukwana, Vashti Bunyan , Death Grips and Arvo Part.
Niel.

Sirfalot
14-09-2015, 18:46
... this is exactly what I am looking for. I will check out your suggestions over the next couple of days. I appreciate your input.

Many thanks.