PDA

View Full Version : So, what are we all driving these days?

Filterlab
05-04-2008, 12:34
Due to some extraordinary circumstances, I have acquired in the last fortnight a Heico tuned Volvo S70 T5 is very nice Graphite Metallic. 310bhp, sodding moves like a rocket, unfortunately it also drinks like one, but considering I do less than 7,000 miles a year I'm not really bothered. :)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Filterlab/T5-3r.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Filterlab/T5-2r.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Filterlab/T5sigr.jpg

Gromit
05-04-2008, 14:52
Nice motor Rob - definite Q-car. :)

My wheels...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/Gromit011/1er4small.jpg

120d Sport and Honda Blackbird.

Filterlab
05-04-2008, 14:54
Nice bike mate, now that's quick! I love the Honda Blackbird, although I have a soft spot for the Kawasaki Z12R.

You know how I feel about BMWs though. :(

The Volvo used to be a surveillance vehicle for 'someone'. Hence the power uprate, massive front brakes and enormous clutch. ;)

Gromit
05-04-2008, 15:23
Nice bike mate, now that's quick! I love the Honda Blackbird, although I have a soft spot for the Kawasaki Z12R.

You know how I feel about BMWs though. :(

The Volvo used to be a surveillance vehicle for 'someone'. Hence the power uprate, massive front brakes and enormous clutch. ;)

I got the Blackbird last year after a long-time diet of BMW Boxers (see my avatar) and other large capacity twins. The Blackbird's no longer the quickest bike out there but it's still nippy enough (it's been dyno'd at 144bhp at the rear wheel). Bombproof motor and general build quality too - this one's done 44k now and still feels like it's done a tenth of that. :)

The great shame about the 120 (as you know from my previous rant) is that it's a fabulous thing to drive - goes great for a diesel, handles beautifully and is smooth and quiet. Trouble is it rattles and squeaks like no car I've owned before plus it leaks in the rain and has had a failed intercooler pipe. We've always owned new Citroens before and not one of them (we've had 3 in the last 15 years, covering over 80k in each) has given us the problems the BM has. BMW are selling an economy class product at Club Class prices. If it was priced the same as a Focus I wouldn't moan as much but even then the Ford's better screwed together. Saying that though, the BM dealer has been superb.

Filterlab
06-04-2008, 20:35
So, I take it that it's only myself and Gromit who drive? What on earth is happening on this forum, when people are here they just ignore pretty much everything. Next they'll be complaining that nobody posts. Sheesh!

Right, I'm off to the Volvo forum for the rest of the evening.

shane
06-04-2008, 21:48
Do you really want to see pictures of a 10-year old Rover 216 with 110,000 miles on it?

Here's a picture of what I used to drive. A very long time ago...

http://www.thepippin.plus.com/Misc/small%20ranger.jpg

Mr Ed
07-04-2008, 06:27
Similarly, pics of matching his 'n' hers Honda Civics (well, mine's blue and her's is silver and has an Aga under the bonnet...).

But this is my bit of mid life crisis for the 3 days we get called Summer...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/2395410252_57a257bebc.jpg

There are about 20 cottage industries making kits for what Caterham insist are called 'Lotus Seven Inspired Sportscars', ranging from Caterham's pay £20k and drive it away to spend a couple of grand on the kit, start by trashing a donor Sierra and be prepared to fabricate a lot of parts from scratch.

My Tiger Cat is in the latter category. Under the bonnet is a Ford 2.0L Zetec with a set of Piper 285 race cams and a pair of Weber DCOE 45 carbs. There is 85mm of ground clearance and you are very exposed, 30mph feels pretty fast!

It weighs 100Kg less than a Reliant Robin and tops out at 192bhp, so the take off from standing is rather satisfying, but anything over 80mph is a strain on the neck muscles!

Roll on Summer!

Ed.

Marco
07-04-2008, 07:13
So what are we all driving these days?

My wife up the wall! :lol: Only kidding...

I've got a flexible lease contract for business and can get any 'executive-class' car I like, but that's pretty much for business use, and only when I drive long distances and want a bit of comfort.

For everyday and local use I just use a little run-around (Renault Clio) or in the good weather my wife's Morris Minor Traveller, which is really cool.

I love classic cars and much prefer them to modern ones - they have so much more character, where 95% of modern cars all look very similar and are simply variations on a theme. I would like to own an E-type Jag or a classic Aston Martin. Those are all on my shortlist when I retire, which I'm on course to do when I'm 50 in 8 years time.

Then I'll go on a lengthy holiday and tour around Europe via as many country roads as possible :smoking:

Ed,

Love the Caterham!!

Marco.

Mr Ed
07-04-2008, 07:22
Ed,

Love the Caterham!!

Marco.

Hi Marco,

It's not a Caterham - I don't have that sort of £££ to squander on toys, that's all needed for the HiFi... Apart from that, nobody over 5'6" and size 7 shoes can fit in a Caterham!

My toy started as a Tiger Cat kit (£2300 + VAT at the time) and a £100 MOT failed Ford Sierra plus rather a lot of grafting!

Tiger's website is www.tigerracing.com.

Cheers,

Ed.

Marco
07-04-2008, 07:25
Ah, sorry... I misread your post. The pic you posted looks a bit like one :)

It sounds as fast as f*ck, though! It must be a lot of fun to drive.

Marco.

Steve Toy
07-04-2008, 10:02
I have no wheels at the moment. Whoever invented dual mass flywheels (fitted to most modern cars) wants shooting. No, shooting's too good for 'em. A red hot poker would be more like natural justice.

I thought it was just the clutch...

Anyway, the 06 Vectra 1.9 CDTi, my workhorse with just over 70,000 miles on the clock should be back from the stables later today and I'll be over a grand lighter.

Filterlab
07-04-2008, 10:09
Steve, bearing in mind your job, have you ever thought of going for something a little stronger than a Vauxhall? If something as major as the flywheel has failed in just 70k then you're heading for major cost soon - 80k, the worst mileage for any car.

greenhomeelectronics
07-04-2008, 11:25
I can see me having to go back to having a proper job so I can have a decent motor again :-( I always used to have decent stuff but now just have a 1999 Seat Alhambra Deisel that gives my arse a headache every time I drive it. I've got a 1996 Jag 3.2 Gold as well though but it sits on the drive rotting most of the time. Thinking of selling them both and getting an LPG Range Rover. Rob - the Volvos are a delight, I had a V70 back in 2000 and it was an excellent motor. Parts were bloody expensive though, my boss borrowed it one weekend and smashed the headlight - £187 plus fitting !!! I got him back though by buggering up his Jag the very next weekend :-) I never did get promoted.

Filterlab
07-04-2008, 11:33
Yep, the parts are high but if the Volvos are maintained well (and I'm a stickler for maintenance) then they're no worse than most cars. I do tend to do replacement bits and bobs myself though, saves a tonne of money. £187 for a headlight is a lot, PFV are currently doing a pair of projector headlamps with a pair of projector style indicator lenses for £249. That's aftermarket prices for you though.

Seriously, this Volvo is very fast indeed and super stable at the same time. Quiet as a mouse and built like a church - destroys my BMW 740 in every way, including performance. And people let me pull out of junctions. :)

Colinx
25-04-2008, 18:53
I'm afraid to say I got boring, having been around kart racing, for a while,then doing the usual hot fords/vauxhall thing, (2.3 turbo viva any one)then chipped and braked siera's, T5 70's I know just have a boring V40. They way its running at the mo, thats probably what I'll have till it rots, which may take longer than me. The gods and shopping fit in the back, as doors the fishing gear, the wife drives it without moaning, so I'm on a winner.

greenhomeelectronics
04-05-2008, 08:00
Update - I had to do something about that Alhambra so bought a Range Rover with gas conversion - bloody amazing vehicle. It's a 4.6 V8 but costs about 40 quid for 75 litres of gas that will do about 250 miles - at least that's what it has done on the first fill. The diesel alhambra used to do about 500 miles on 70 quid so you can see the comparison. The Rangie is big enough to tow my boat, every bit as luxurious as the Jag, plenty big enough for our business so it's like having 3 cars in one. LPG is much more friendly than petrol or diesel environmentally speaking - hence the lack of tax on it. The Chancellor has promised (we all know how well kept Labour's promises are) that there will be no tax for at least 3 years from the last budget. This means that in 3 years time they will introduce taxes on it. :) We will most likely keep it until then.
Dave.

funkpilz
06-05-2008, 09:26
I'm driving a turquoise/white Hercules bike. It's quite nice actually, and undeniably "oldskool".

shane
06-05-2008, 11:26
Update:

The Rover just blew it's head gasket (again). Cost to repair £750+, value of car £500. Bye bye Rover.

Hello Fiat Punto diesel. At least it's got a CD player of sorts.

Filterlab
06-05-2008, 11:34
Update:

The Rover just blew it's head gasket (again). Cost to repair £750+, value of car £500. Bye bye Rover.

I said a similar thing ten years ago when my 827 got stolen (and used in a bank robbery!). You got some good mileage out of yours though, most died at 110 miles. :)

BajaGringo
26-05-2008, 03:23
My daily driver is a 2003 Mercedes ML350.

The mechanical love of my life is parked in the garage and I take it out when I "want" to drive...

http://www.BajaGringo.com/photos/BMW740i.png

Filterlab
26-05-2008, 13:10
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

I hate to say it Baja but the worst car I ever owned was a BMW 740i! Dreadful, a mechanical nightmare and I never got the thing sorted in its entire ownership period. Shame, it went like the wind, my Volvo would eat it for breakfast though.

Is yours OK?

BajaGringo
26-05-2008, 17:47
You know, I really lucked out. Mine has been relatively problem free. I am active on a couple of the online 7 series forums and cringe at some of the stories I hear. I am up to 190,000 miles / 300,000 Km and she still runs like a top without even so much as a squeak, rattle or oil leak. I have taken very good care of the car and based on others tales, I have been quite lucky.

It is fun to drive...

Kurt-Holz
27-05-2008, 01:32
I had a BMW many years ago , one of the 633's, it was a great ride, but did have some issues

not as many as the many jaguars i have owned and loved

but as they say, no pain no gain

BajaGringo
27-05-2008, 01:37
The cars we choose to drive, like the women in our lives may at times be a love-hate relationship...

;)

Filterlab
27-05-2008, 10:34
....I have been quite lucky.

Very!

Mine was a 60,000 mile example with a full BMW main dealer history, one owner from new. I think mine must have been the holy grail. :(

Beechwoods
27-05-2008, 22:06
I drive one of these... a Mitsubishi Delica

http://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/--5d1256762e.jpg

Only with all-terrain tyres for an extra 'monster truck' affect.

Best car I ever owned.

I also have a VW Camper and long for the day I can justify getting a fully kitted 4wd Syncro transporter... probably the coolest vehicle ever!

http://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/plompentruck_s.jpg

combwork
12-06-2008, 14:54
I have no wheels at the moment. Whoever invented dual mass flywheels (fitted to most modern cars) wants shooting. No, shooting's too good for 'em. A red hot poker would be more like natural justice.

I thought it was just the clutch...

Anyway, the 06 Vectra 1.9 CDTi, my workhorse with just over 70,000 miles on the clock should be back from the stables later today and I'll be over a grand lighter.

Can't post a photo of mine as I had to sell it, but it was........ A Fiat Multipla! Car before that was a Fiat Multipla too (which I wrote off; insurance money almost paid for the second one). Car before that was a Citroen V6 XM Estate. One of only 28 'Exclusive' models registered in the U.K. Electric everything, most of which worked (sometimes). Beautiful design ruined by cost cutting when they built the things. I was driving it when I had my first stroke. Not much fun; even less for my wife and daughter who were with me at the time. I'm on 9 months suspension having had an epileptic fit 3 months ago so I sold the car. If I stay symptom free for the next 9 months I'll be after another Multipla.

They alas also have the curse of a dual mass flywheel. What was/is the point of these things? There must be a reason for them, other than just pushing the service costs up~~~~~~~~~~~:hotrod:

Filterlab
12-06-2008, 17:13
What was/is the point of these things?

To enable the manufacturers to obtain better economy in their engines easily.

combwork
12-06-2008, 22:07
To enable the manufacturers to obtain better economy in their engines easily.

Fair enough; in the case of the Multipla it was a big car with good performance and 50 to the gallon. I guess the economy is down to a combination of things; clever electronics, high gearing and the dual mass flywheel which I guess must be lighter overall than a conventional flywheel. I wonder how many cylinders you'd need to be able to dispense entirely with the dead weight of a flywheel.......................:mental:

Mike
12-06-2008, 23:45
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

I hate to say it Baja but the worst car I ever owned was a BMW 740i! Dreadful, a mechanical nightmare and I never got the thing sorted in its entire ownership period. Shame, it went like the wind, my Volvo would eat it for breakfast though.

Is yours OK?

Serves you right for buying an old mans BMW :ner:

Should have bought an M5 like I did. T'was a beast! :)

goraman
13-06-2008, 03:31
2002 1495cc Hyundia Accent 3 door.I get 27 to 28 around town and 35 to 36 on the freeway on average.I have to hard of time putting up a picture because the file size limits. The cool points is the simple but well done Alpine stereo.The old school Hurst white shift knob.The polished alloy wheels,Kat fog lights and Yakama rack.I have packed 5 people and several heavy trunks and a cast iron Rolls Royce sewing machine takeing the wheels all the way to the wells.and she putts right along with out fail.

Filterlab
13-06-2008, 10:49
Well I don't think a 298bhp BMW V8 is quite an old man's BMW, but it is half way there. :)

Volvo now sold, will be Honda shopping next week... talking of old man. ;)

Mike
13-06-2008, 15:59
<Raises eyebrow> You've done nothing but rave about your Vulva, what changed your mind? :scratch:

Which Honda?

Mike Reed
13-06-2008, 16:05
[QUOTE=Shian7;11712]<Raises eyebrow> You've done nothing but rave about your Vulva, ]

I do hope that's a typo! Changing cars is one thing..........

Mike
13-06-2008, 16:16
Just my opinion of Volvo's sir. ;)

It's a long and bitter story.

Donald Hanson
13-06-2008, 18:25
Well, in the "good ole USA" We are expecting $5.00+ per gallon gasoline and $6.00+ diesel by the end of this year.

I do feel sorry for all those huge RVs that I see on the highways pulling the smaller vehicle behind for when/if the reach their destinations.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I took an example from them. On my birthday, my GF got me a bicycle rack for the back of my Toyota 4-Runner and I take my bike where ever I must drive and use it for the short trips. Cut my fuel consumpion in half and almost doubled my beer consumption.

An equitable trade-off in my opinion.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Mike
13-06-2008, 19:24
Well, in the "good ole USA" We are expecting $5.00+ per gallon gasoline and $6.00+ diesel by the end of this year.

Awww... Bless!

We already pay double that!!! :steam:

alb
13-06-2008, 19:32
Only because we are stupid enough to put up with these prices. Methinks.

Mike
13-06-2008, 19:52
Only because we are stupid enough to put up with these prices. Methinks.

Dead right!..... But what other option do we have? :confused:

<Ducks in the face of the incoming political onslaught>

Marco
13-06-2008, 21:09
Which Honda?

A Melody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUH6hoUfNB8

And he's going to make it extra special and have a shopping basket fitted ;)

Marco.

Filterlab
13-06-2008, 21:14
<Raises eyebrow> You've done nothing but rave about your Vulva, what changed your mind? :scratch:

Which Honda?

I love Volvos, I always have, but in a month or so my daily journey will change from 6 miles a day to 60 miles a day. In a 310 bhp monster that barely scrapes in 20mpg on a good day it spells pretty bad financial sense. At current prices for V-Power (the only thing strong enough to run the T5 with the current ECU) I'd be spending £16.60 per day on petrol just to get to work and back. I get an additional allowance of £15.00 per day, but I'm taxed on that so it equates to less, cutting further into my salary than I'd like. Frankly I'm not prepared to pay almost £4000 a year just to get to work.

I feel really sorry for folk like Steve whose whole cost base is a vehicle and its associated running costs, must be a nightmare when fuel gets jacked up by 20% in one year. I know the costs get passed on directly to the customer but it still has to be accounted for.

The replacement will be an Accord; either a 1.8 V-Tec SE Exec or a 2.0 V-Tec SE Exec - whichever I find. :) I know it may seem a dull choice but for the next two years my mileage will be comparatively high - i.e. 25,000pa instead of 7,000pa (which is what it has been for the last three years). Until I buy a house in the countryside near the new office I have no choice but to commute.

Also I have to say that right from a young age I've had nothing but high performance cars. It started when I was 19 and I bought an Audi 200 Turbo, tuned it to 347 bhp and went from there. Since then I've had several cars all ranging from 200 bhp to 350 bhp and I'm a bit tired of the continual costs associated. Now's the time to calm down for a few years and sort some other stuff out. :)

Donald Hanson
13-06-2008, 21:15
We need (all of us) to do a modified boycott of oil products. I know that sounds niave and overly simple, but if we just did more pooling that would make a difference.

While traveling to British Columbia a few weeks back I could not help noticing the traffic jams are as intense as they ever were AND, AND! I could not help noting all the single occupancy large SUVs and similar type vehicle. Yes, I was one of the guilty parties. But it set me to thinking; if we were to have a localized bulletin board type system and just loaded three people per automobile, just think of the impact that would make on our wallets, traffic, and most importantly, the demand for oil products.

Well, the rave is over thank you for allowing.

Filterlab
13-06-2008, 21:16
I have to hard of time putting up a picture because the file size limits.

Have a read here mate:

How to host and embed your images. (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2)

Filterlab
13-06-2008, 21:18
...Yes, I was one of the guilty parties...

That's the thing though - everyone says "oh we should all look for alternative means of transport" and then they mutter under their breath "not me though as I love my comfortable, private, personal, air-conditioned, fast, safe, secure and direct mode of transport".

Mike
13-06-2008, 21:31
Get a good motorbike ya big pansies! :ner:

The relationship between the words 'performance' and 'car' will become very silly indeed! :trust:

Filterlab
13-06-2008, 21:58
Would never touch one mate, it's practically suicide round here! Plus they're inconvenient, ruthlessly exposed and weather dependent - and the leathers make you look like a pansy. :)

Mike
14-06-2008, 08:18
and the leathers make you look like a pansy. :)

Don't be ridiculous.

Eveyone wants to look like a Power Ranger :lolsign:

Marco
14-06-2008, 08:57
Do you cut a dash with the ladies in your leathers then, Mike?

You big shexi boy you! :lol:

Marco.

Mike
14-06-2008, 09:18
Oi, steady on now! :eyebrows:

TBH, I hung up my leathers a while ago. I don't race anymore coz I don't bounce so well now, and I gave road riding due to turning into a maniac every time I went out. 165mph every time I went anywhere was going to get me locked up very quickly. Or dead! :mental:

anthonyTD
14-06-2008, 10:31
Oi, steady on now! :eyebrows:

TBH, I hung up my leathers a while ago. I don't race anymore coz I don't bounce so well now, and I gave road riding due to turning into a maniac every time I went out. 165mph every time I went anywhere was going to get me locked up very quickly. Or dead! :mental:
hi mike,
i agree, i have been riding motorcycles since i was 9 years of age, did a lot of motor cross when i was young, then as soon as i was 16, i was on the road!
dont think i have been without a bike for more than 4 years total since being a kid.
but,its taken its toll on me over the years, having had sevral acidents,and numorous fallings off, i too have come to the decision that there are too many maniacs on the road today for bikers like me, especially as everything hurts these days, [back, neck, legs etc] although i still class myself as one of the lucky ones,as in: i am still here!
still have a bike in the garage, but these days, it goes for an MOT each year, and thats about it!
anthony...:)

Filterlab
17-06-2008, 07:57
Don't be ridiculous.

Eveyone wants to look like a Power Ranger :lolsign:

:lol:

http://cache.halloweenmart.com/images/ip015490.jpg

Mike
17-06-2008, 15:49
Oi!... Where did you find that photo of me in my pyjamas? :eyebrows:

Filterlab
18-06-2008, 08:16
Oi!... Where did you find that photo of me in my pyjamas? :eyebrows:
http://www.mikeinhispyjamas.com

;)

Pool Hall Richard
18-06-2008, 11:04
I’ve got a 9 month old VW Golf Match. Tidy motor. 6 speed gearbox and best of all…………..has an ipod link built into the centre armrest. So I spend most evening changing the first 5 playlists around on my ipod as its those you can select direct from the main radio controls. Dunno how I lived without this in the past. Rarely listen to the CDR’s I spent so long burning for use in the car. A decent motor………………the second one I’ve owned. I’m definitely sold on VW now.