PDA

View Full Version : Good evening Gentlemen.

Syncopator
03-09-2015, 20:53
Joined this evening in order to ask for information, and to offer a bit of same.

My equipment is listed in my profile so there's no point in mentioning it here.

I have a modest collection of L.Ps, c.ds and cassettes, but listen to music very infrequently now.

Music I enjoy includes some of the Classics, dance and jazz bands of the 20s and 30s, swing of the 40s, some of the "trad bands" from the 50s/60s revival, and west coast jazz of the 50s and 60s.

struth
03-09-2015, 20:56
Welcome David. I like big bands and jazz etc too. great stuff. If you need/ want help then ask in the appropriate section and I am sure you will receive some.

Barry
03-09-2015, 21:03
Welcome to AoS David.

Why do you only "listen to music very infrequently now"? Are there problems with your system? What are they, and is that the information you seek?

Looking at your profile, I can't see anything wrong with your system:

Source: Rega Planar 3,

Amplification: G-Ohm and TMA3,

Loudspeakers: Dali Royal Towers and Dali Menuett IIs

You have an admirable taste in jazz music - it would be a shame if you could not continue to enjoy it.

So if you could outline why you don't listen to music much, I'm sure someone here would be willing to help you and offer some advice

Regards
Barry

brian2957
03-09-2015, 21:05
Welcome to AOS David :)

Syncopator
03-09-2015, 21:47
Why do you only "listen to music very infrequently now"?
Wherever I go, be it a shopping centre, individual shops, hospital corridors, dentist's waiting rooms etc., I am forced to listen to someone else's choice of "music".
What I want, above all else, when I get home, is peace and quiet.

Are there problems with your system?
Considering the system to be everything between the input transducer (pick-up, tape head, laser optical system) and my brain, yes there are problems.

My ears.

For the following measurements I set the frequency of my generator to the frequency of highest sensitivity in my better ear - the left.

The generator's output amplitude and external attenuator were set so as to achieve the greatest dynamic range without having to change both settings during the measurements. (Don't worry about it if you don't understand.)

My right ear's response is down, referred to 1kHz, at 1kHz by about 8dB, a little more than 20dB at 2kHz, almost 30dB at 3kHz, 40dB at 4kHz, and 60 dB at 8kHz.
My left ear is 0dB down at 1kHz (the reference), about 2dB at 2kHz, about 11dB at 3kHz, 20dB at 4kHz, 31dB at 6kHz, and 49dB at 8kHz.

I think it more useful if I start a new thread for the information I seek.

walpurgis
03-09-2015, 21:51
Hello David. Welcome to AOS.

Members are happy to offer information and guidance and also appreciative of new advice too.

There are sections here addressing every aspect of Hi-Fi, so I'm sure you will find plenty to interest you.

If you have system changes planned we'd like to hear about them.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

walpurgis
03-09-2015, 21:58
I know what you mean about other people's music. I have similar views.

Judging by your description of your hearing measurements, I'm guessing you are about my age. I tested mine too (not so thoroughly) and got somewhat similar results. Funnily enough, my left ear is my best too.

Syncopator
03-09-2015, 22:22
I know what you mean about other people's music. I have similar views.

Judging by your description of your hearing measurements, I'm guessing you are about my age. I tested mine too (not so thoroughly) and got somewhat similar results. Funnily enough, my left ear is my best too.

Hello Walpurgis,

I'm half way to 151 years old. Sounds a lot when you say it like that, doesn't it?

I made my first measurements a few years back, and repeated them a couple of months ago. Both sets were good matches to the audiologists', the only difference being the absolute reference. I don't have a calibrated microphone.

walpurgis
03-09-2015, 22:36
Hello Walpurgis,

I'm half way to 151 years old. Sounds a lot when you say it like that, doesn't it?

I made my first measurements a few years back, and repeated them a couple of months ago. Both sets were good matches to the audiologists', the only difference being the absolute reference. I don't have a calibrated microphone.

Ah. You have a few years on me. Not by a vast margin.

My hearing seems to be mostly missing above an audible 8kHz. However, if there are upper treble problems in the sound from my system (or somebody else's) I can definitely sense or perceive it, strange as that sounds.

struth
03-09-2015, 22:55
I'm just a wein by comparison.:) I have some hearing problems too with both tinnitus and complete loss over 11k. The tinnitus was the hardest thing but the brain does adapt.

walpurgis
03-09-2015, 23:04
Speak up sonny! :wheniwasaboy:

struth
03-09-2015, 23:08
I see the man but cannot read the rest.must be over 11k;)

rdpx
05-09-2015, 01:29
I have hearing loss up to about -80dB, recently had an operation in one ear to bring that back to about -50 or so, am only 44 yrs old, but wear hearing aids, and find I can still enjoy a good stereo.

Do you wear aids? If not, you should try them. They take a couple of weeks to get used to, but are well worth the effort...

?

Eagle owl
05-09-2015, 09:59
Hello and welcome David.

Geoff. :wave:

Syncopator
05-09-2015, 10:30
Do you wear aids? If not, you should try them.

Yes, both port and stb'd.
I use them principally for listening to the television, which, with those crappy miniature apologies for 'speakers, inevitably pointing downwards or to the rear, are an absolute travesty.
And that's not to mention the appalling audio quality transmitted by some of the stations. Grossly compressed, audible distortion, very low modulation index.

If one wants decent audio from a television it is assumed by the manufacturers that you will overcome their inability or unwillingness to provide such a facility by even more expense for a "sound bar". And how, exactly, is a pair of 'speakers separated by what, a metre, two metres, supposed to create anything which approaches a realistic sound stage?

The use of one's own audio system to complete the job means a digital/audio interface. More unnecessary expense.
Why not provide a pair of jacks into which one can plug their own 'speakers. Simple.

Hello and welcome David. Geoff. :wave:

Thank you.