PDA

View Full Version : When you don't have a tape out.

Spectral Morn
28-09-2009, 11:02
Hi Guys

This may seem like a daft question, but I will ask it anyway. I have a pre-amplifier (Chapter Audio Preface Signature)that I would quite like to use a reel to reel with, but it does not have a fixed level tape output, only a variable rca output (I will be using the XLR balanced output for connection to my power amplifier thus leaving the RCA free). Both outputs can be on at the same time. Output level will have to be increased via the very high quality volume control. I will also be using a Sony STB500 tape switching control centre in this set up as well.

Volume levels don't have to be high to provide good recording levels, thus allowing listening during recording.

Other than issues with three head monitoring, are there any other reasons why this won't be okay ?

As a gripe I think all pre-amplifiers, integrated amps etc should have at least one fixed level output....have these guys not heard of headphone amplifiers....some may not be using tape now but there are lots of items that can avail of a fixed out.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
28-09-2009, 12:30
Both inputs can be on at the same time.

Neil - can I just check you mean 'outputs' rather than 'inputs' here?

I can't see any issue with your proposed approach, assuming the output to the RCA is unaffected by the signal levels going to your power-amp (unlikely).

I must admit I go direct source to tape when it's important stuff I'm recording, and monitor off the tape via headphones. That does entail unplugging everything everytime I want to do this though!

Spectral Morn
28-09-2009, 12:39
Neil - can I just check you mean 'outputs' rather than 'inputs' here?

I can't see any issue with your proposed approach, assuming the output to the RCA is unaffected by the signal levels going to your power-amp (unlikely).

I must admit I go direct source to tape when it's important stuff I'm recording, and monitor off the tape via headphones. That does entail unplugging everything everytime I want to do this though!

Sorry typo....yes outputs.

Hooking everything up direct just would not be feasible (way to much hassle, though better). The output from the RCA is unaffected when the XLR output is active. These outputs are designed to allow hook up to power amplifiers via RCA or XLR. You can select one to be on or both, pity you can't make one fixed level out)

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember something about tape loops being a different impedance to standard outputs and inputs...also that they can be buffered. Its a vague memory which is why I ask the above question.

Maybe Alex N might like to comment or AnthonyTD

Regards D S D L

steve dixon
02-10-2009, 17:58
does it have a headphone socket, if so you could use a headphone to two phono's connector, and if you have a headphone volume control even better, most of those leads have a 3.5mm jack but you can by an adaptor for pennies at maplins. hey presto another output.