PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Gloucester

thommy
03-09-2015, 09:00
Hello,

I am Thommy and I am well into DIY hifi!

I have just built a single ended triode tube amp with ECC83s & EL34s.

It is fed by a DDDAC1794 (DIY), and runs a pair of Wilmslow Audio Prestige speakers (also DIY).

I play piano and love classical music, but also electronic music too.

The Black Adder
03-09-2015, 09:10
Hi Thommy.

Welcome to AOS... Very nice. You like your DIY stuff. Is it on the same lines as a Leak Stereo 20 or is it something something?

Be great to see some pics posted soon.

Enjoy!
Jo

walpurgis
03-09-2015, 09:11
Hello Thommy. Welcome to AOS.

DIY projects are very popular here. Why not post some photos in the Gallery section. They'd be appreciated.

Tell us about the rest of your system and what plans if any you have for it.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

thommy
03-09-2015, 09:15
Thankyou!

Have just updated my signature with some of the other gear I have here.

Yes the amp is a bit like a Leak stereo 20, although in triode mode it's probably putting out about 7w per side.

struth
03-09-2015, 09:42
Welcome to the forum Thommy.

Barry
03-09-2015, 11:00
Welcome to AoS Thommy,

Congratulations on building your SET amp. Was it your own design or another's? There are several keen DIY'ers here, so feel free to join in any discussion in the DIY thread.

Is there any particular period of Classical music you particularly enjoy (and play)? We also have a section where we discuss Classical music , so again please feel free to join in there.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry

thommy
04-09-2015, 08:30
Hey Barry,

I had a few discussions with Phillip up at Bluebell Audio in Scotland, and he then sent me some parts and a circuit, both of which I have since tweaked. I am quite a long way from having enough understanding to draw a circuit from scratch, but it sure is an interesting hobby!

As far as music goes, avant garde, 20th century european composers and modern classical seem to be my particular areas of interest. I very much enjoyed the performance by Nils Frahm during this years Proms season.

Puffin
04-09-2015, 11:50
Hi Thommy, and welcome. I first came across doede douma when I was looking for an NOS Dac. I seem to remember that he had built one using 64 Philips 1543s (these things were normally 8 op-amps) but it was said that the more you stacked the better the sound.

I ended up getting a LiTe Dac aH that was the subject of many mods on Headfi. Not bad for not much money. I also seem to remember that I went for the LiTe as the costs of building one of DDs creations was far greater. I suppose DDs my have sounded better.

Rob.