PDA

View Full Version : Moode Player Help

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kit1cat
01-09-2015, 07:46
I updated to moode player 2.2 yesterday but I am having problems getting moode to recognise my NSA310 nas drive.

Can any users of moode/volumio with a nas drive give me some guidance to what I should be putting in the Remote Directory, username and password fields.

My Remote Directory is \\NSA310\music in windows, my nas user name admin, password 1234.

I am sure I am making a simple mistake it was working great in moode 2.1.

Thanks

Barry

Kit1cat
01-09-2015, 17:42
Now sorted. :)

struth
01-09-2015, 17:48
whats new in moode 2.2 Barry?

Rothchild
01-09-2015, 17:57
whats new in moode 2.2 Barry?

I know I'm not Barry but, http://moodeaudio.org/docs/tcmods-relnotes.txt

struth
01-09-2015, 18:20
Cheers Marc. Seems to have quite a bit of change. Ive downloaded it.

struth
01-09-2015, 18:53
This download is not turning into an image file when I extract it ... seems very odd

struth
02-09-2015, 10:28
Currently installing moode 2.2. Have had radio on and now connecting hdd via usb. Radio sounded very good and a few more stations. Some more different settings too.

The Black Adder
02-09-2015, 10:38
Let us know how it goes, Grant... I'd be interested in upgrading if it's worthwhile. :)

struth
02-09-2015, 10:48
Thats it up and running Josie. Might just be foo, but I think it sounds better...more controlled. It now has a place for album art too...ok im still not getting it but if you touch it it takes you to web looking for pic. Dunno how or where youd save it though but someone brighter than me will. Output felll a little lower too.(likely just an impression)
Time will tell but it seems to update quicker too.

struth
02-09-2015, 10:50
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/ce9e77d83378048af6f28ec0b0259838.jpg

Rothchild
02-09-2015, 10:58
Thats it up and running Josie. Might just be foi nut I think it sounds better...more controlled. It now has a place for album art too...ok im still not getting it but if you touch it it takes you to web looking for pic. Dunno how or where youd save it though but someone brighter than me will. Output felll a little lower too.(likely just an impression)
Time will tell but it seems to update quicker too.

I keep my album art in the corresponding album folder (which in turn is in an 'artist' folder) Subsonic also does 'search for and store' for album (and artist) artwork and this is where it puts the files (which is why I have them there!).

A typical folder structure would go /music/James Brown/James Brown - The Payback/bunch of tracks, album art, cue sheets and a playlist file

struth
02-09-2015, 11:12
The album art would have been in the folder after ripping as a jpg. Not sure what its called and cannot access it while connected to pi. Its not overly important i suppose.. Sound is king along with ease of use and reliability. My computing skills are limited these days as everything moves onward and i drift backwards:doh:
I might have a look later when i pluck up the courage Marc but am a little daunted by some of it tbh...

Rothchild
02-09-2015, 11:15
Perhaps you want to hit me up on PM and I'll try and get you working, then we can put together a noobs guide to improving your pi skills (having practiced on you ;-))

Where is your music stored for the pi at the moment?

struth
02-09-2015, 11:22
Its on a powered hdd in the usb of pi. I have other copies so it could be re done. Maybe it should be but yes maybe the answer. I have similar copies on other drives on pc. I will take a look and pm you what it looks like
Cheers Marc

The Black Adder
02-09-2015, 11:44
A quick question.

When using Moode. What is the best way to update the HDD with more music? I find it a bit flaky when you unplug it and copying over the network is slloooooooooow!

AlanS
02-09-2015, 11:46
A file called folder.jpg in the same as the music files works fine.

dbPowerAmp puts one there if ripping.

Sometimes the cover images does not show but WTF I'm listening to music not admiring the album art and it is free software that does a good job.

Top marks to Tim Curtis

struth
02-09-2015, 11:48
I keep my album art in the corresponding album folder (which in turn is in an 'artist' folder) Subsonic also does 'search for and store' for album (and artist) artwork and this is where it puts the files (which is why I have them there!).

A typical folder structure would go /music/James Brown/James Brown - The Payback/bunch of tracks, album art, cue sheets and a playlist file

Ive regained access to the moode on pc upstairs with this new 2.2 build. I used to have it then upnp seemed to come on instead and wouldnt go off. This replaced the blue moode icon.. So i can see again whats on the hdd and alter it from afar agin.
Now it seems that for the ones ive looked at the album art folder is not there. Not sure why but looks like maybe jriver has embedded it into the tracks..dunno but the folder that was there is is not in view. I sent down a copy to one album to test but on update its not showing. Might be a wrong name so pm inbound Marc

mikmas
02-09-2015, 11:50
A file called folder.jpg in the same as the music files works fine.

Works for me too - every time .... once I start playing a track from an album the cover image appears

struth
02-09-2015, 11:51
A quick question.

When using Moode. What is the best way to update the HDD with more music? I find it a bit flaky when you unplug it and copying over the network is slloooooooooow!

I rip new stuff on a pc and now i have got a connection to moode again can send it to the hdd on pi via internal bb. Then just update the music folder on pi hdd. On pc look on left bar when looking for files etc. If not there look in network.

Ps you only need to update the music file section if there is other stuff on the hdd..itll be much quicker

struth
02-09-2015, 11:52
Works for me too - every time .... once I start playing a track from an album the cover image appears

Going to rename it that first and see if that works

struth
02-09-2015, 11:59
Cancel that pm...thats fixed it. Woopee! .....so this means i will have to send down god knows how many album arts to the hdd downstairs from pc :eek: It will be something nice to do when bored.
Thanks all.

The Black Adder
02-09-2015, 12:01
I rip new stuff on a pc and now i have got a connection to moode again can send it to the hdd on pi via internal bb. Then just update the music folder on pi hdd. On pc look on left bar when looking for files etc. If not there look in network.

Yep, got Moode listed in my drives but because it's copying over the network it's mega slow. Do you have your Pi linked via cable to your router? Mine is wifi.

struth
02-09-2015, 12:08
Yep, got Moode listed in my drives but because it's copying over the network it's mega slow. Do you have your Pi linked via cable to your router? Mine is wifi.

Yes pi is on ethernet. Wireless from pc to router though. Its not super fast sending. I get an ave speed of 4mb/s on transfer. Its quick enough as your usually only adding a few at a time.. If your doing more then it would be better to power down pi and unplug then take hdd and hard wire via a pc and transfer.
I usually am only doing 1 or 2 at a time and it takes about a minute an album.
As for album art as mine seems to have been embedded and the folders removed. I now have to on pc. Find art and save it to moode hdd over wifi under title folder.jpg as stated by the lads. This time it works. It didnt on the 2.1 version for me

Again thanks ti all...made my day brighter

struth
02-09-2015, 12:34
Its looking like this now

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/e073e4763c5501faba34aa79ed27f22f.jpg

The Black Adder
02-09-2015, 12:53
Yes pi is on ethernet. Wireless from pc to router though. Its not super fast sending. I get an ave speed of 4mb/s on transfer. Its quick enough as your usually only adding a few at a time.. If your doing more then it would be better to power down pi and unplug then take hdd and hard wire via a pc and transfer.
I usually am only doing 1 or 2 at a time and it takes about a minute an album.
As for album art as mine seems to have been embedded and the folders removed. I now have to on pc. Find art and save it to moode hdd over wifi under title folder.jpg as stated by the lads. This time it works. It didnt on the 2.1 version for me

Again thanks ti all...made my day brighter

Thanks, Grant :) I think I'll use a physical connection from my router to the Pi anyway, the wifi can get a bit sticky sometimes.

Kit1cat
02-09-2015, 13:04
Glad you got the cover art working Grant :) I am having a few problems with it in moode 2.2 :( no problems in 2.1 :steam:

AlanS
02-09-2015, 13:05
I use an ethernet cable for Pi and NAS. Learned the hard way and never posted to a forum once about it.

struth
02-09-2015, 13:18
I use an ethernet cable for Pi and NAS. Learned the hard way and never posted to a forum once about it.

Its one of the reasons the forum exists..to pool collective knowledge and assist each other.

struth
03-09-2015, 15:51
Interestingly after sending a few image files down to pi all the images seem to have appeared from nowhere lol. Thats saved me much work..not sure why but not complaining

Kit1cat
03-09-2015, 16:09
Interestingly after sending a few image files down to pi all the images seem to have appeared from nowhere lol. Thats saved me much work..not sure why but not complaining

Art work is handled differently in moode 2.2, some people are having problems, a bug fix, release 2.3 is due sometime.

struth
03-09-2015, 16:13
Art work is handled differently in moode 2.2, some people are having problems, a bug fix, release 2.3 is due sometime.

Yes well initially even though pics for all music should have been there they were not showing in the folders. when I used the "folder.jpg and sent it down about 3 times all of a sudden it seems they have now appeared. maybe it got the message where to look or it might just have been working to rule;)

AlanS
05-09-2015, 22:44
For anyone who has album art problems version 2.3 now available.

I have downloaded it but yet to apply it.

struth
05-09-2015, 23:16
I wonder what Volume knob cli support for USB DAC's is?

Rothchild
06-09-2015, 06:09
CLI is normally an abbreviation of 'Command Line Interface' aka the terminal, aka the prompt.

It's the most basic and (quite often) the most powerful way of interacting with the computer. I think in Windows it's referred to as 'the shell'.

CLI interface for USB volume is likely to be a little program that allows you to adjust the volume on a usb soundcard / dac and will probably look like 'ALSAMixer' (which there were screenshots of in the giant 'dinosaur FBA' thread.

AlanS
06-09-2015, 11:22
2.3 seems ok

I had ripped my first album with no cover art. A search found the image, saving it as folder.jpg, updating the MPD database and it appeared as one would hope.

I didn't have much problem with covers in 2.2 though.

So far so good

Darren66
16-09-2015, 17:04
Cpl questions if anyone can help.I have audio through pi and dac running Moode 1.8. How do I update this to the latest version and also how to go about setting up volume between player-dac and stereo amp.

Thanks Darren

struth
16-09-2015, 18:16
Download the latest moode..think it is 2.3. From moode. org. Unzip and image it to sd card

Darren66
17-09-2015, 07:38
Download the latest moode..think it is 2.3. From moode. org. Unzip and image it to sd card

Thanks Grant should have seen that.
Alsa volume and volume control.Hardware, software, disabled.
Any advice on these.
IQ-Audio DAC going into Cambridge Audio 840a amp.
Darren

Kit1cat
17-09-2015, 07:55
Thanks Grant should have seen that.
Alsa volume and volume control.Hardware, software, disabled.
Any advice on these.
IQ-Audio DAC going into Cambridge Audio 840a amp.
Darren

I f you only want to use the volume control in your amp select disabled, if you want to use volume control in moode or a mixture of moode/amp select hardware.

Darren66
17-09-2015, 08:03
I f you only want to use the volume control in your amp select disabled, if you want to use volume control in moode or a mixture of moode/amp select hardware.

Thanks Barry,just didn't want to damage anything. Will have a play around. What does the salsa volume do.

Kit1cat
17-09-2015, 08:39
Thanks Barry,just didn't want to damage anything. Will have a play around. What does the salsa volume do.

Basicly there are 3 volume settings in alsamixer, the first two in moode 2.3 are set to on my default (you can turn them off if you have too much gain) the 3rd is like a master volume control, if moode volume is set to hardware the master volume is controlled from within moode, if moode volume is set to disabled the master volume is fixed and the volume controlled by the amp.

Darren66
17-09-2015, 14:36
Basicly there are 3 volume settings in alsamixer, the first two in moode 2.3 are set to on my default (you can turn them off if you have too much gain) the 3rd is like a master volume control, if moode volume is set to hardware the master volume is controlled from within moode, if moode volume is set to disabled the master volume is fixed and the volume controlled by the amp.

Thanks Barry had a quick use of both. Will stick with disabled and use the amp for volume control for now.
I did mean alsa not salsa.

mikeyb
25-09-2015, 09:50
Thanks Barry had a quick use of both. Will stick with disabled and use the amp for volume control for now.
I did mean alsa not salsa.

Hi Darren,

to get the best audio output from the Pi/DAC, you need to set MoOde to HARDWARE volume control and set the volume to 86 as a start point as this is 0db gain, you can adjust this up or down from within MoOde or by using Alsamixer via Putty or similar using your Pi's IP address.

If you do it within MoOde remember to save/refresh the settings.

As I say 86 is 0db, and you can increase or decrease to suit your ears/system as you like. It really does make a difference, and 86 is right for my amp etc. This still gives you the volume control via your amp, although for some reason using my iPad I can control the volume if I Airplay any music to the Pi, otherwise the amp is in total control. Don't use software volume control within MoOde or any other renderer for that matter ( Volumio/RuneAudio/PiCoreplayer) as its rubbish.

This image shows the Digital Output setting I have using Putty to gain access to Alsamixer and confirms that MoOde is set to 86 and 0 gain.
https://mikeyb.smugmug.com/Other/Odds-and-Sods/i-mGVsjRF/0/O/MoOde%20Alsamixer.jpg

These show the settings within MoOde
https://mikeyb.smugmug.com/Other/Odds-and-Sods/i-7FZFt3w/0/O/MoOde%20Hardware%20volume%20setting.jpg

https://mikeyb.smugmug.com/Other/Odds-and-Sods/i-dNn25b4/0/O/MoOde%20Volume%20Control%20at%2086.jpg

Mike.

Kit1cat
25-09-2015, 11:25
Hi Mike, I think when using airplay from your ipad via moode you are then using a software volume control. I have checked via alsamixer and any vouilme control from the ipad (spotify, ipeng etc) does not alter the digital volume control in alsamixer, it remains fixed.

Darren66
25-09-2015, 16:54
Hi Darren,

to get the best audio output from the Pi/DAC, you need to set MoOde to HARDWARE volume control and set the volume to 86 as a start point as this is 0db gain, you can adjust this up or down from within MoOde or by using Alsamixer via Putty or similar using your Pi's IP address.

If you do it within MoOde remember to save/refresh the settings.

As I say 86 is 0db, and you can increase or decrease to suit your ears/system as you like. It really does make a difference, and 86 is right for my amp etc. This still gives you the volume control via your amp, although for some reason using my iPad I can control the volume if I Airplay any music to the Pi, otherwise the amp is in total control. Don't use software volume control within MoOde or any other renderer for that matter ( Volumio/RuneAudio/PiCoreplayer) as its rubbish.

This image shows the Digital Output setting I have using Putty to gain access to Alsamixer and confirms that MoOde is set to 86 and 0 gain.
https://mikeyb.smugmug.com/Other/Odds-and-Sods/i-mGVsjRF/0/O/MoOde%20Alsamixer.jpg

These show the settings within MoOde
https://mikeyb.smugmug.com/Other/Odds-and-Sods/i-7FZFt3w/0/O/MoOde%20Hardware%20volume%20setting.jpg

https://mikeyb.smugmug.com/Other/Odds-and-Sods/i-dNn25b4/0/O/MoOde%20Volume%20Control%20at%2086.jpg

Mike.

Thanks for explaining that Mike will give it a go.

mikmas
25-09-2015, 18:55
Hi Darren,

to get the best audio output from the Pi/DAC, you need to set MoOde to HARDWARE volume control and set the volume to 86 as a start point as this is 0db gain,

Apparently all is not as it once was - see the post from Gordon@IQ (first one on page 3) it confused me but maybe you can make sense of it:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?40053-Moode-Alsamixer-layout/page3

SteveW
26-09-2015, 08:16
Could do with a bit of Moode help!
Just set up pi and IQaudio dac, all fairly smooth, and thanks to posts here, enough guidelines to get it working straight off.
Just one thing, it's found my Qnap nas - and the flac folder where my music is.
The problem is missing artists. Where have Leonard Cohen and David Byrne gone?
Any tips ?
Cheers
Steve

Starterman
26-09-2015, 10:55
The problem is missing artists. Where have Leonard Cohen and David Byrne gone?

You will probably find them in the pub.
:-)

SteveW
26-09-2015, 11:12
Arf..

struth
26-09-2015, 11:20
Any possibility they are there but been colated under a different title by the pi ?

Desmo
26-09-2015, 11:40
Is it just those two artists or have others/all of them gone missing? Could be a problem with the tagging.

SteveW
26-09-2015, 11:44
Hi Grant.
Well.. No idea what I've done other than twiddling about in configuration and actually not changing anything, except refreshing just about every folder I could see.
So it's all turned up. Even Leonard and David.
Also noted some albums missing before, eg Pink Floyd had some missing - they have all turned up too!
I hope it all stays stable.
Got to go out soon, so am not going to have much chance to listen to all this till later in the week.
First impressions are quite impressive though.
Cheers Steve

struth
26-09-2015, 11:52
Lol. Had similar initally with the album art. It never showed up and a couole od days later after retagging only a handfull of folders to folder.jpg they all just turned up....

SteveW
09-10-2015, 05:20
I'm having a problem with Moode.
My Qnap nas library has simply disappeared from the Moode player library.
A week or so ago it had done this, then reloaded after refreshing folders etc in the configuration section.
I've tried all sorts- resetting various parameters, file names etc all to no avail.
Fortunately Plug Player on my iPhone still sees the library, and it functions very well.
So I have abandoned using Moode player, but wondered if I'm not alone ?
Steve

struth
09-10-2015, 08:55
Maybe the sd card is corrupted. You could try a re image

SteveW
09-10-2015, 18:04
Ahh...right. I'll try that
Cheers

guyhayton
11-10-2015, 11:33
I don't know why it happens to me, but I have also suffered with a disappearing NAS-based library with Moode.
As Grant suggests, a reimage of the SD card solves the problem... only for it to happen again a couple of days later. After four reimages with no correlation of factors or circumstances I started to get frustrated.

For now I have given up on Moode until another version comes out. I have gone back to RuneAudio, which whilst not as pretty nor as featured, is rocksolid in my setup. It is easy to forget that RPI based audio is still in its infancy.... I know that because I keep forgetting LOL

mikeyb
11-10-2015, 11:46
Hi Guy,

Yeah the software can be troublesome, I stopped using Volumio as it kept disappearing from my control app on my android phone and my iPad, I switched to MoOde and no issues since.

I have since found that the Lumin App on iPad can also send music to MoOde as it is a uPnP controller, it's handy for streaming my personal music from my NAS.

However most of the time I use my phone and Bubble uPnP App to control my own music, Tidal, and Google Music. The only thing missing for me from Bubble is the ability to use TuneinRadio, but if necessary I just AirPlay that from my iPad.

MoOde is just about to upgrade to 2.4 so you never know it might solve your issues, but in all honesty there's not a lot to choose between any of them for me as I don't use my PC to control any of them, if I did then this might have a bearing on my choice.

Currently listening to Wellenfield via AirPlay from Tidal and it sounds superb, to think I wanted to buy a dedicated streamer costing several hundred £'s and all in my Pi setup has cost under £100, although this will increase when I source a Linear PSU which is supposed to improve the sound quality even more.

Tim, the guy behind MoOde has plenty info over on DiyAudio and Computer Audiophile Forums if you need more help.

MoOdeAudio.org is his site.

Mike.

struth
11-10-2015, 11:56
Only trouble i get with the pi is when my bband cuts out. This happens often but only for say 10/20 secs. The loss of link to pi means it just stops working and when bband comes on again i have to switch off the pi then restart. It would be good if this could be addressed in future issues. Not sure why it should do this but it does

SteveW
12-10-2015, 10:00
Hi Grant
I wonder if my issues have been caused by my Broadband cutting out also?
It's quite a regular occurance, especially on a Sat or Sunday.
This weekend we were trying to load BBC iplayer on the telly, and it wasn't happeneing. Quick re-boot of the router and its back.

however, hadn't thought about the impact on the pi.
Could be?

So...in the meantime I went and bought another sd card from Maplins.
Got Moode image onto it ok (I even downloaded the whole lot again, just in case!)
Anyway...whilst radio worked fine, I made a mistake in entering my NAS details.
Then I tried re-entering the correct details, but it just wouldn't go into browse mode on the player.

So...I thought, 'bugger it'. Re Format and reload.
Now another problem. In re-formatting the card, it says that the capacity is 75mb...on a 16 gig card (on offer at maplins)

mmm...

struth
12-10-2015, 10:14
When i format my cards on win 8 pc it just uses quick format..takes 15 secs.. The card then shows itself as empty.
As for the bb disconnections then yes the pi just loses connection from router and in turn your controller. Only thing to do is switch off for say 20 secs. That allows all the internal charges to decay. Then power up. Usually works first time although it sometimes still misses... Not often though. As said earlier you may only be seeing what windows can read so best to format at fat32. If your pc doesnt do it then there are utilities that can. A clean instal on fat32 card should work first time. Also on restarting you will need to check that the pi has not been moved. IE from /7 to /6 local addtress or similar..putting your router address into a browser a!d refreshing should show whats connected to it... Ive never managed to get mine to work wirelessly so its easy to find for me as moode is the only wired connection

mikeyb
12-10-2015, 10:14
Hi Steve,

Size showing of SD card is correct. It's been created as a boot disc so will only show up as 75mb.

When updating any of the settings remember to 'refresh/reboot' MoOde so the settings are saved.

Rebooting can take a good few minutes to come back up on your desktop so don't be too hasty.

Mike

SteveW
12-10-2015, 10:47
Deep.. Deep Joy !!
Ok, formatted to fat 32.
Re-imaged card.
Put card back in Pi - then powered up.

Then configured by starting with system first, then MPD ( hardware for vol,set at 86)
Then finally source.
Bingo- it's now reloading my nas library.

So relieved.
Also a sense of understanding.
I remember the early days of linns DS system also having an awful lot of issues.
This is no different - it's all developing.

struth
12-10-2015, 11:07
Sounding good Steve.

mikeyb
12-10-2015, 12:11
Hi Steve,

You can set it to 100 as that is now 0db and adjust up or down from there. It used to be 86 last time I looked but it's been changed to 100 now, so you might find an improvement if you go to 100.

Mike.

SteveW
12-10-2015, 12:32
Cheers Mike
That's interesting.
I'll do that then!

SteveW
12-10-2015, 12:56
Now Ive set it to disabled.
Looks like there has been some changes.
Will check it's working shortly.

SteveW
12-10-2015, 13:36
Bugger... Now nothing! In terms of volume anyway..!
The library is building itself nicely again though. Just got to figure out getting some sound out.

struth
12-10-2015, 13:45
Wrong is2 driver? Alsa if available too low?

SteveW
12-10-2015, 14:23
Funny thing is (OK, not that funny), that I can't enter a volume fig now in the box, as below.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/E79CECEF-0B38-44D5-BED7-9D01A85F2495_zpsnahbqt34.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/E79CECEF-0B38-44D5-BED7-9D01A85F2495_zpsnahbqt34.png.html)

struth
12-10-2015, 14:31
Em. !!! I use a sabre now and trying to remember the settings...maybe try different vc.. Not hardware try none and use amp vcs maybe.
I do have a back up pidacplus and had a similar problem. Took me a while to work out..it was just a wro!g setting..make sure you update or reboot as needed after changing things or it wont work

struth
12-10-2015, 14:36
If you cannot get it let me know Steve and i will go find mine and plug it in and get the settings for you mate

SteveW
12-10-2015, 14:50
Hi Grant
You are a gentleman! However, I've just got it sending sound out again.
Fiddled about in settings/ hardware/ tried no i2s etc etc
Then I fired up MPoD... Which has a slide vol control. Turned that up and got music.
God, it's all a bit of a kerfuffle.
I was wondering how much damage it would do the Pi by lobbing it through the window!!

Thanks again anyway.

struth
12-10-2015, 14:54
Just setting mine up. Will get the settings

struth
12-10-2015, 15:00
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/6cc12c60feefe29c85ad08a371b7a348.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/7553288b939cfa60a53e77f2f3ee5967.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/251c573159646a1bda2c277ab0774aa7.jpg

Thats the settings on mine and sounds awesome

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/788477f7eaa2c71101657ed2ec3c4734.jpg

Bit messy at moment lol

Once playing tablet should look akin to this

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/284ab105199c42498dec243f8d992fbe.jpg

struth
12-10-2015, 15:12
Not sure it aint sounding better than the sabre lol....probably just the grass is greener syndrome

SteveW
12-10-2015, 15:13
Cheers Grant
That's great to have as a reference.
I'm almost too scared to try anything else at present!!
Might tempt the gods of software to laugh again.

struth
12-10-2015, 15:20
Been meaning to do that for it and the sabre ..pics often work wonders

struth
13-10-2015, 13:29
This is the sabre settings for future note

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/bc2ed566a27fed8024f1ba92d366d52a.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/74d67be57e4352ab97e2e04d3f1bc6de.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/8a98e1fd93a000d5eef2ec68af81ffad.jpg

And looks like this playing

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/13/224fce68d453a1a3873097f6e1e1ac01.jpg

Will try and get these stickied later for reference

TimCurtis
13-10-2015, 21:56
Hi,

Here is some general Moode info that might be helpful :-)

1) USB port power

If using a port powered USB HDD or USB audio device that requires extra power, turn on "Max USB current 2x" setting in Moode System config. This causes 1200mA to be delivered to USB instead of default 600mA.

2) Moode freezes, becomes unstable or behaves very strangely

- SD Card has become corrupted
- Faulty power supply

3) USB audio device not recognized

- Turn on "Max USB current 2x" setting in Moode System config
- Use a powered USB hub

4) USB audio device intermittently disconnects

- Faulty USB cable
- Faulty power supply

5) Volume control configuration

MPD provdes volume control using its high quality 32 bit float w/dither software volume control or it can control an audio devices on-board hardware volume controller via internal coupling to ALSA. MPD volume control can also be disabled to support use of an external analog or digital volume control.

ALSA volume control will only be present if the audio device has an on-board hardware volume controller and ALSA successfully detects and configures it. This is indicated in Moode System config by a value present in the ALSA volume (%) field. Otherwise it will be blank and the message "Hardware volume controller not detected" will be displayed.

There are several possible volume control configurations depending on whether or not the audio device has an on-board hardware volume controller.

- Hardware volume controller = NO

The only valid settings for MPD volume control are "Software" or "disabled". If set to "disabled" then MPD will default to 100% volume level (0dB)

- Hardware volume controller = YES

a) Set MPD volume control to "Software", set ALSA volume (%) to 100 (0dB)
b) Set MPD volume control to "Hardware" and in Customize popup enable Logarthmic curve if it provides a more "linear-to-the-ear" feel.
c) Set MPD volume control to "disabled" and set ALSA volume (%) to 100 (0dB)

NOTE: its been observed that some i2s DACS are apparantly sending an incorrect hardware volume range to ALSA resulting in 100% volume being greater than 0dB. In this case do the following:

- Use ALSAMIXER to determine the correct volume % for 0dB. The dB gain value will be displayed in upper left of ALSAMIXER screen.
- Use this new % value to set ALSA volume (%) in (a) and (c) above, and for (b), use the value to set "Maximum volume (%)" in Customize popup.

WARNING: when making changes to volume control settings ensure that Moode knob is set to 0 and play back is stopped.

6) Volume knob Command Line Interface (CLI)

The Volume knob cli provides a mechanism for external applications to control Moode volume and mute state. The cli is implimented as a BASH script named knob.sh located in /var/www directory.

The types of external apps that would make use of knob.sh include Infrared (IR) controllers or Rotary Encoder drivers.

Example:

ssh root@moode (pwd = moode)

/var/www/knob.sh 32
/var/www/knob.sh mute
/var/www/knob.sh unmute
/var/www/knob.sh 45

Notice the Moode UI instantly reflecting the changes entered above :-)

Regards,
http://moodeaudio.org
http://twitter.com/MoodeAUdio
Tim Curtis

TimCurtis
13-10-2015, 22:15
Hi,

Here is a technical overview of Moode Player for the hacker types :-)

Overview

Moode is a Web user interface (WebUI) front-end for Music Player Daemon (MPD) headless music server. Moode runs on Raspberry Pi using a customized Raspbian Linux OS and custom compiled version of MPD. Moode can also function as an Airplay receiver, UPnP renderer and DLNA server.

Software

Moode is complex software with many component parts. It consists of PHP, JQuery/Javascript, HTML, CSS and BASH source code, a set of configuration files and a SQL database that contains player settings and configuration. There are 71 source code files, 7 SQL database tables and 10 configuration files. Source code includes 19 PHP, 29 Javascript, 4 BASH, 14 HTML, and 5 CSS. Many other support files exist but are not generally involved in feature coding or bug fixes.

Architecture

Moode is designed using client-server architecture. The front-end WebUI executes in the client Web Browser and communicates over the network to the the back-end servers on the Raspberry Pi. This architecture allows Moode to be running in multiple client Browsers simultaneously for example a Laptop, Tablet and Smartphone, and the WebUI will be in sync in all Browsers.

- See attached diagram

Infrastructure components

- Raspbian based OS

- MPD music server
- PHP5 scripting server
- NGINX Web server
- SQLite database engines
- Zend Media PHP-Reader

- Libav-tools audio codecs
- libSoX resampler
- USBmount storage auto-mounter
- Shairport-sync Airplay receiver
- DJmount miniDLNA server
- upmpdcli UPnP renderer for MPD
- upexplorer UPnP metadata provider
- Samba CIFS/SMB file sharing
- JQuery Javascript
- JQuery Knob
- JQuery Countdown
- JQuery Scroll
- Twitter Bootstrap
- Designmodo Flat UI
- Font Awesome
- WiringPi GPIO interface
- IQ_rot rotary encoder driver
- Knob.sh volume knob cli

Regards,
http://twitter.com/MoodeAudio
Tim Curtis

TimCurtis
14-10-2015, 19:08
Hi,

Moode 2.4 Test Release 4 is available for download :-)

Visit moodeaudio.org and press the TEST CODE button to select from one of the three download sites.

This test release is running latest mainline Raspbian kernel 4.1.10+ and includes custom compiled MPD version 0.19.10, updated libav-tools and many other new features, updates and fixes.

Please refer to the release notes for details.

Regards,
Tim

Aligauld
15-10-2015, 09:13
Hi,

Moode 2.4 Test Release 4 is available for download :-)

Visit moodeaudio.org and press the TEST CODE button to select from one of the three download sites.

This test release is running latest mainline Raspbian kernel 4.1.10+ and includes custom compiled MPD version 0.19.10, updated libav-tools and many other new features, updates and fixes.

Please refer to the release notes for details.

Regards,
Tim

Shiny.
Downloaded and configured.
Thanks for the cue file stuff Tim it's working beautifully.
Oh, and a very warm welcome to AOS

Cheers,
Alistair

Kit1cat
15-10-2015, 12:07
Hi Tim,

Downloaded and trying 2.4 test version, but having problems with volume control on my Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ setup, hardware voulme control seems stuck on what is set in system config, no control with volume dials in the playback screen and software volume contol not working at all.

Barry

mikeyb
15-10-2015, 13:35
Hi Tim,

Downloaded and trying 4.2 test version, but having problems with volume control on my Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ setup, hardware voulme control seems stuck on what is set in MPD config, no control with volume dials in the playback screen and software volume contol not working at all.

Barry
Hi,

That's correct, if using hardware control the volume ( although strictly speaking its gain not volume - 100 is 0db ) is set within mpd, The volume is then controlled by your amplifier.

My setup never changed volume using the dials within MoOde when set as hardware.

Mike.

TimCurtis
15-10-2015, 13:47
Shiny.
Downloaded and configured.
Thanks for the cue file stuff Tim it's working beautifully.
Oh, and a very warm welcome to AOS

Cheers,
Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Glad its working :-)

Btw what DAC are u using?

Regards,
Tim

Kit1cat
15-10-2015, 13:52
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply , but that has never been the case with any other version of moode I have used. I have my preamp set at a fixed gain/volume, moode set to hardware volume control of the dac and I control my power amp output from the volume control dials in the moode playback screen. Just switched back to moode 2.3 which is working just as I have described. Strange.

Barry

mikeyb
15-10-2015, 14:00
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply , but that has never been the case with any other version of moode I have used. I have my preamp set at a fixed gain/volume, moode set to hardware volume control of the dac and I control my power amp output from the volume control dials in the moode playback screen. Just switched back to moode 2.3 which is working just as I have described. Strange.

Barry
Hi,

Ok strange, pretty sure it didn't work that way with mine but then again that might have been with an earlier version.

I'll need to check it out.

Mike.

TimCurtis
15-10-2015, 14:05
Hi Tim,

Downloaded and trying 4.2 test version, but having problems with volume control on my Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ setup, hardware voulme control seems stuck on what is set in MPD config, no control with volume dials in the playback screen and software volume contol not working at all.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Very odd.

I have exact same Pi-2B + Pi-DAC+ and no issues, but this is a "test" release so could be bug. I'll re-load test 4 on this system and see what happens.

Here is the way volume should work:

1) The only MPD volume control setting that disables the Moode volume knob is "disabled". The knob will be grayed out, set to 0 and will not accept any input. MPD will output 100% volume (0dB). This is the setting when using an external analog or digital volume control for example on a preamp, integrated amp or stand-alone volume control.

2) If MPD is set to "Software" there should always be a functional Moode knob.

a) If audio device has hardware volume controller, ALSA volume needs to be set to 100 (0dB) since MPD will be controlling volume using its software volume control. MPD and ALSA volume controls are not coupled in this case.
b) If audio device does not have hardware volume controller, then nothing further needs to be done.

3) If MPD is set to "Hardware" then

a) If audio device has hardware volume controller, the Moode knob will be functional. MPD will be using the audio devices hardware volume control via an internal coupling between MPD and ALSA.
b) If audio device does not have hardware volume controller, the Moode knob will be functional but will always reset to 0 because this is not a valid configuration.

Regards,
Tim

Kit1cat
15-10-2015, 14:17
Hi Tim, thanks for the explanation of how the volume control works, 3a covers my setup. Barry

TimCurtis
15-10-2015, 15:19
Hi Tim, thanks for the explanation of how the volume control works, 3a covers my setup. Barry

Hi Barry,

I started with the test4 download image and Pi-2B with IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ and no issues.

In my experience troubleshooting, whenever the UI behaves really strangely and does not seem to be working correctly, hangs, freezes, does not update, etc. it's almost always due to a bad or corrupt SD Card.

Another potential cause of odd UI behavior is stale Web Browser cache. In other words the Browser is using old pages from its cache instead of new ones from the web server on the Pi. The fix that usually works for this is to (a) clear the Browser cache using whatever option is available in the Browser to do this, or (b) close all instances of the Web browser, this usually resets its cache. Note that Firefox and IE 11 Browsers have been problematic.

Here is procedure I used for testing:

(1) Boot with test4 image
(2) Set I2S audio device to "IQaudIO Pi-DAC+" (System config page)
(3) reboot

Verify MPD Hardware volume control

(1) Set MPD volume control to "Hardware" (MPD config page)
(2) Set Logarithmic curve to "Yes" (Customize popup)
(3) Move Moode volume knob to 10 then to 0 to establish initial MPD-ALSA volume level of 0
(4) Verify ALSA volume (%) is 0 on System config page
(5) Play a radio station, adjust Moode volume knob

Verify MPD Software volume control

(1) Set MPD volume control to "Software"
(2) Set Moode knob to 0
(3) Set ALSA volume (%) to 100 (System config page)
(4) Play a radio station, adjust Moode volume knob

Verify configuration works after reboot

(1) reboot
(2) Play a radio station, adjust Moode volume knob

Regards,
Tim

Kit1cat
15-10-2015, 16:29
Thanks Tim, will try re-doing the sd card when I have a minute.

Kit1cat
15-10-2015, 18:52
New image did the trick, now up and running :)

Aligauld
15-10-2015, 19:42
Hi Alistair,

Glad its working :-)

Btw what DAC are u using?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim

I've got the hifiberry dac+

Cheers,
Alistair

The Black Adder
16-10-2015, 15:13
Hi.

I'm having some trouble updating Moode with my HDD which is plugged in directly to the Pi.

Using RPi2 B+ IQAUDIO DAC+

Basically, I've simply added a few more albums to my HDD. When I plugged it back in I clicked on USB and Update this folder.

What happened next was simply nothing, the HDD simply kept on whirring away, the light on the HDD showed no data being shared and it eventually spun down. Moode kept on saying 'Updating'.

I've been at this way too long now and can't understand what to do as it's not showing me any error or progress report. The USB folder is still empty too.

Can anyone share with me the best way to update a HDD and how to configure Moode each time I do want to update my music please?

Thanks

struth
16-10-2015, 15:17
Is it a self powered hdd?...kinda sounds like a power issue

TimCurtis
16-10-2015, 15:37
Hi.

I'm having some trouble updating Moode with my HDD which is plugged in directly to the Pi.

Using RPi2 B+ IQAUDIO DAC+

Basically, I've simply added a few more albums to my HDD. When I plugged it back in I clicked on USB and Update this folder.

What happened next was simply nothing, the HDD simply kept on whirring away, the light on the HDD showed no data being shared and it eventually spun down. Moode kept on saying 'Updating'.

I've been at this way too long now and can't understand what to do as it's not showing me any error or progress report. The USB folder is still empty too.

Can anyone share with me the best way to update a HDD and how to configure Moode each time I do want to update my music please?

Thanks

Hi,

Hot-plugging USB (unfortunately) is not supported. Pi must be powered off:

(1) Moode Menu, Turn off, POWER OFF
(2) unplug USB drive
(3) plug into PC and copy files to it
(4) plug back into Pi
(5) Power up Pi
(6) Moode Source config screen, UPDATE MPD DB

An easier way though is to directly access the USB drive while it is plugged into Pi and Moode is running. Moode posts samba (cifs/smb) shares for NAS, SDCARD, USB, USB1, USB2 and USB3 folders.

These should show up in Mac Finder in the Sidebar under Shared, moode. In Windows a drive can be mapped to the share by specifying \\moode\USB as the server. Similarly in Mac Finder, "Go, Connect to server..." specify cifs://moode/USB as the server. If using Linux then u will know how to mount the share :-)

Once connected to the share, you can copy files or folders directly to it, then bring up Moode Source config screen and press UPDATE MPD DB.

Regards,
Tim

mikmas
16-10-2015, 15:46
An easier way though is to directly access the USB drive while it is plugged into Pi and Moode is running. Moode posts samba (cifs/smb) shares for NAS, SDCARD, USB, USB1, USB2 and USB3 folders.

These should show up in Mac Finder in the Sidebar under Shared, moode. In Windows a drive can be mapped to the share by specifying \\moode\USB as the server. Similarly in Mac Finder, "Go, Connect to server..." specify cifs://moode/USB as the server. If using Linux then u will know how to mount the share :-)
Regards,
Tim

thanks for the info Tim - I tried this on my Mac a while back but unfortunately uploading was painfully slow via WiFi so I gave up - do you know of a simple way to do this with a direct wired connection between Pi and Mac (wither USB or ethernet)?

In Volumio I had no problem with hot-plugging my SSD drive but indeed no luck with Moode. The restart method works quite well most of the time (if lengthy) but I still get occasions when Moode won't recognise the drive

struth
16-10-2015, 15:58
I just added 3 albums today using the samba method, as I find that convenient and dont have to muck about removing the hd. Takes maybe 90 secs an album tops but wouldnt use the method for many more than 3 ...

The Black Adder
16-10-2015, 16:28
Aaaaaah...

Righty-Ho! - Tim, your a starbar! :)

All updated nicely.

With updating in the future then, should I do this over the network? Thing is, it's reeeeealy slow copying as I'm using Wifi. Would using the Ethernet cable be better?

Thanks
Jo

TimCurtis
16-10-2015, 17:03
thanks for the info Tim - I tried this on my Mac a while back but unfortunately uploading was painfully slow via WiFi so I gave up - do you know of a simple way to do this with a direct wired connection between Pi and Mac (wither USB or ethernet)?

In Volumio I had no problem with hot-plugging my SSD drive but indeed no luck with Moode. The restart method works quite well most of the time (if lengthy) but I still get occasions when Moode won't recognise the drive

Hi,

I've never tried direct connection between Pi and Mac.

A fellow from NZ sent me some info on getting hot-plug usb to work, just have not gotten to that particular item on my to-do list yet. Eventually it will work :-)

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
16-10-2015, 17:21
Aaaaaah...

Righty-Ho! - Tim, your a starbar! :)

All updated nicely.

With updating in the future then, should I do this over the network? Thing is, it's reeeeealy slow copying as I'm using Wifi. Would using the Ethernet cable be better?

Thanks
Jo

Hi Jo,

Yes, wired Ethernet will be a lot faster, but you would need to shut down, pull wifi adapter, plug in ethernet cable then boot up. Then reverse after the copy is complete to get the Pi back on WiFi.

Regards,
Tim

The Black Adder
16-10-2015, 18:19
Thanks, Tim.

To be honest, I think I'll just use Ethernet anyway.

Cheers
Jo

SteveW
17-10-2015, 17:50
So frustrating, I kept loosing my library.
So formatted my sd card, and loaded the latest test image.
Worked great this morning, loading the nas library really quickly.
However, I started mucking around with one or two of the settings ( resampling rates)- and now I'm loosing the volume.
And then the library has gone again. Damn.

SteveW
17-10-2015, 17:57
Oh hang on...
Fired up MPoD player on the phone.. Hit/ ticked ' outputs' in settings, and it's all working again.
Lordy. Time for a drink.

TimCurtis
17-10-2015, 18:56
Oh hang on...
Fired up MPoD player on the phone.. Hit/ ticked ' outputs' in settings, and it's all working again.
Lordy. Time for a drink.

Hi Steve,

Very odd.

Whenever the UI starts behaving really strangely, hangs, no audio, etc. one of the following is suspect:

- bad or corrupt SD Card
- failing power supply
- network issue

I would suggest trying a new SD card.

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
17-10-2015, 19:05
So frustrating, I kept loosing my library.
So formatted my sd card, and loaded the latest test image.
Worked great this morning, loading the nas library really quickly.
However, I started mucking around with one or two of the settings ( resampling rates)- and now I'm loosing the volume.
And then the library has gone again. Damn.

Hi Steve,

Just want to make sure I get this symptom right, but when you say "losing my library" do you mean that the NAS folder disappears from the Browse panel, or do you mean that when u press "Library" tab it comes back blank and shows 0 tracks?

Regards,
Tim

SteveW
17-10-2015, 21:17
Hi Tim
Many thanks for your involvement.
The library was just 'lost'. Wish I'd taken a screen shot, as actually I think it showed one track.
I reformatted a card this morning and loaded your new 'test' version.
Started having problems again.
I am also wondering if MPoD interferes with the Moode player settings?
Anyway.. Just tried revising the settings to this
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/7D851E10-42E0-479B-B33E-B622C834DEF7_zpseehosqf5.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/7D851E10-42E0-479B-B33E-B622C834DEF7_zpseehosqf5.png.html)

Now my library has started to update ( over 29,000 tracks)
Now stuck at just over 8000, as here..
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/706A70AD-F7B2-4E14-A733-89A88E381314_zpstlehszjz.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/706A70AD-F7B2-4E14-A733-89A88E381314_zpstlehszjz.png.html)

SteveW
17-10-2015, 21:29
Hi Steve,

Just want to make sure I get this symptom right, but when you say "losing my library" do you mean that the NAS folder disappears from the Browse panel, or do you mean that when u press "Library" tab it comes back blank and shows 0 tracks?

Regards,
Tim

Just realised what you meant Tim.
The library is there, but zero tracks.
I can access the library through other software like Plug Player or one of Linn's UPNP controllers Songbook Lite- where the full library is shown.

TimCurtis
17-10-2015, 22:35
Just realised what you meant Tim.
The library is there, but zero tracks.
I can access the library through other software like Plug Player or one of Linn's UPNP controllers Songbook Lite- where the full library is shown.

Hi Steve,

The way the Library loader was originally designed lends itself to issues with some large collections. I've improved it quite a bit but had to stay within the limits of the original design. You may have to use the Browse panel to select music, or an external app like MPoD...

Andreas, the fellow who is working on Moode 3 project has redesigned the Library loader so it will work nicely with large collections but Moode 3 project will probably take a year to complete since it involves a ground-up rewrite and debug of the entire code base :-)

Regards,
Tim

SteveW
18-10-2015, 07:41
Hi Tim
Understood.
Great tip though, of using Browse to access the library. It's all there, and by using the drop down menu it's easy enough to get what you want onto the playlist.
Well done.
Thank you.

SteveW
18-10-2015, 08:17
When my son was working in Greece he used to hear a saying - 'You make plans, and God laughs'
Just checked my library and thought of this
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/1A1AD002-1B29-45AE-AD43-13B977866F15_zpsjpsu1nqf.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/1A1AD002-1B29-45AE-AD43-13B977866F15_zpsjpsu1nqf.png.html)

Starterman
18-10-2015, 10:58
I have just spent about 6 hours over 2 days trying to get Moode running again, after a random "nothing happens" failure.

I have now renamed FBA Frustration Based Audio!

Anyway, I have wiped most of the foam from around my mouth and my blood pressure is back below 300. In order to save some other poor sod (and myself, next time) a heart attack, here is my setup procedure - modified from Tim's readme.

It is specific to my particular setup of IQDAC+, USB hard drive and USB dongle for remote control. Hopefully it's of some help for others:

Moode Audio Payer SD Card Setup

Use Moode 2.3 image (not Zip file, this needs to be unzipped using 7-zip):
C:\Users\dave\Downloads\moode-sdimg-r23\moode-sdimg-r23

Use Winddiskimager to write IMG file to SD card.

Then…..
================================================== ===============README: PLAYER SETUP Moode Audio Player, (C) 2014 Tim Curtishttp://moodeaudio.org Designed for Raspberry Pi================================================ ================= NOTE: Use http://moode -or- http://moode.local 1. INITIAL SETUP a) insert sd card (but not USB wireless dongle) b) connect ethernet cable c) connect USB storage device (if any) 2. POWERING UP - IF USB AUDIO DEVICE a) power on Raspberry Pi without USB audio device connected b) http://moode c) plug audio device device into USB port d) reboot - IF I2S AUDIO DEVICE a) power on the Raspberry Pi with I2S audio device connected b) http://moode c) Menu, Configure, System d) select i2s audio device then SET e) reboot (via Settings, Power off, Reboot)f) Set MPD to hardware volume WARNING: Set volume to 0 and stop play back before changing this setting.g) Select Customise, Hardware volume curve – set to Logarithmic - VERIFY/SET ALSA VOLUME a) http://moode b) Menu, Configure, System c) Press SET after entering appropriate value (no need to reboot) - VERIFY AUDIO PLAYBACK a) http://moode b) Click a radio station from the Playlist c) Check correct operation of volume control 3. TIME ZONE AND AUDIO DEVICE DESCRIPTION a) http:/moode b) Menu/System, Timezone c) Menu, Customize, Audio device description, Device 4. ADD SOURCE CONTAINING MUSIC FILES - USB STORAGE DEVICE a) http:/moode b) Menu, Configure, Sources c) press UPDATE MPD DATABASE button d) WAIT for completion (no spinner on the Browse tab) e) click Browse tab then Menu, Refresh - NAS DEVICE a) http://moode b) Menu, Configure, Sources c) click NEW button to configure a music source (MPD DB update initiates automatically after SAVE) d) WAIT for completion (no spinner on the Browse tab) e) click Browse tab then Menu, Refresh At this point a FULLY OPERATIONAL PLAYER exists. ================================================== ===============CUSTOM CONFIGSCustomize the player configuration by using any of the followingprocedures.============================== =================================== 1. CHANGE PLAYER HOST AND NETWORK SERVICE NAMES a) http:/moode b) Menu, Configure, System c) Press SET after entering appropriate value in each name field d) reboot 2. CHANGE PASSWORD FOR USER ROOT a) ssh root@moode (pwd moode) b) passwd root (prompts will follow) c) reboot 3. CONFIGURE FOR WIFI CONNECTION a) power off (from Menu/Turn off) b) insert wifi dongle c) power up (leave eth cable connected!) d) http://moode e) Menu, Configure, Network f) configure a wifi connection (can take ~ 60 seconds to complete) BTHub3-????Security WPA/WPA2 Personal Note: WLAN “Not Used” should change to the WLAN address Note 2: 1st got “No Interface Present” then refreshed the page using Windows (top left) refresh. This seemed to work. g) power off, unplug eth cable, power upThis bit seems to be random with several attempts needed and the patience of a bloke dressed in orange robes! 4. DISABLE ETH0 INTERFACE FOR FASTER BOOT - WARNING: this is for an already operational WIFI setup! a) /var/www/tcmods/r23/cmds/utility.sh edit-eth0 b) # out the eth0 lines c) reboot ================================================== ===============END README============================================ =====================

Check ALSAMixer settings by running Putty. 192.168.1.104
Login as Pi
Password: raspberry

Explanation of volume settings:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?40322-Moode-Player-Help/page10

Starterman
18-10-2015, 11:02
Haha, don't you just love computers. All the paragraph formatting has disappeared up microsoft's rear end.

TimCurtis
18-10-2015, 14:23
When my son was working in Greece he used to hear a saying - 'You make plans, and God laughs'
Just checked my library and thought of this
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/1A1AD002-1B29-45AE-AD43-13B977866F15_zpsjpsu1nqf.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/1A1AD002-1B29-45AE-AD43-13B977866F15_zpsjpsu1nqf.png.html)

Hi,

Glad to see that it's working :-)

I see that you are using IOS. The appearance of Moode can be improved by adding it as a "Home Screen" app. When this is done, the Browser frame is removed and it will look a native app :-)

Press the "rectangle-with-arrow-sticking-out-the-top" icon on the footer bar, then press "Add to Home Screen". You will find the Moode app on one of your Home Screen pages.

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
18-10-2015, 14:41
Haha, don't you just love computers. All the paragraph formatting has disappeared up microsoft's rear end.

Hi Dave,

Good to here its working and that your vital signs are returning to normal :-)

What is the USB remote control dongle that u are using? Sounds interesting.

I'm making a new Volume Control guide as a PDF that can be viewed/downloaded from moodeaudio.org that reflects a change I've made to the code so the ALSA volume (%) field on System config will show the actual volume %. Currently it is showing the value from the ALSAMIXER slider scale which is not a % but a "mapped or hybrid value" according to ALSA guy.

I'll tune up the setup guide a bit too.

Regards,
Tim

Starterman
18-10-2015, 19:51
Hi Tim,

If it is any use I can email you my personalised setup guide - which has my additions in blue, but is actually legible, unlike the pasted in version above. It is written from the point of view of somebody who is not particularly computer literate.

Sorry if I mislead you, the Wifi dongle is a standard one. I meant that I use it so that I can control the Pi from a browser (with no ethernet connection), not that it enables an actual remote control handset as such. This is the one:
http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/wifi-dongles/wifi-dongle-nano-usb

Is there an easy way to duplicate my micro SD card, in case I have another problem?

Could I also clarify that I am doing the power down procedure correctly:
System Menu -> Turn-off -> Power-off
Wait until the green light has stopped flashing (in my case about 10 seconds after the USB drive has spun down) then turn off the 5V PI/DAC supply.

The reason for asking is that I cannot see any other way to power up, other than turning on the 5V supply, when following step 3:
3. CONFIGURE FOR WIFI CONNECTION
a) power off (from Menu/Turn off)
b) insert wifi dongle
c) power up (leave eth cable connected!)

Also, since going from V2.1 to V2.3 my bootup time has gone from 90 seconds to 'ages'. I never managed to work out how to do step 4:
4. DISABLE ETH0 INTERFACE FOR FASTER BOOT
- WARNING: this is for an already operational WIFI setup!
a) /var/www/tcmods/r23/cmds/utility.sh edit-eth0
b) # out the eth0 lines
c) reboot

I have no idea where to look to do 4a.

Sorry for more questions!!

Cheers,
Dave

TimCurtis
18-10-2015, 21:26
Hi Tim,

If it is any use (1) I can email you my personalised setup guide - which has my additions in blue, but is actually legible, unlike the pasted in version above. It is written from the point of view of somebody who is not particularly computer literate.

Sorry if I mislead you, the Wifi dongle is a standard one. I meant that I use it so that I can control the Pi from a browser (with no ethernet connection), not that it enables an actual remote control handset as such. This is the one:
http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/wifi-dongles/wifi-dongle-nano-usb

(2) Is there an easy way to duplicate my micro SD card, in case I have another problem?

(3) Could I also clarify that I am doing the power down procedure correctly:
System Menu -> Turn-off -> Power-off
Wait until the green light has stopped flashing (in my case about 10 seconds after the USB drive has spun down) then turn off the 5V PI/DAC supply.

The reason for asking is that I cannot see any other way to power up, other than turning on the 5V supply, when following step 3:
3. CONFIGURE FOR WIFI CONNECTION
a) power off (from Menu/Turn off)
b) insert wifi dongle
c) power up (leave eth cable connected!)

Also, since going from V2.1 to V2.3 my (4)bootup time has gone from 90 seconds to 'ages'. I never managed to work out how to do step 4:
4. DISABLE ETH0 INTERFACE FOR FASTER BOOT
- WARNING: this is for an already operational WIFI setup!
a) /var/www/tcmods/r23/cmds/utility.sh edit-eth0
b) # out the eth0 lines
c) reboot

I have no idea where to look to do 4a.

Sorry for more questions!!

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Here are answers to your questions :-)

(1) I can email you my personalised setup guide

Yes, please email me the document. I am looking for input on how to improve the admittedly sparse setup guide.

(2) Is there an easy way to duplicate my micro SD card

Not that I am aware of. I just copy the image to the card.

(3) Could I also clarify that I am doing the power down procedure correctly:

The procedure is correct. The Raspberry Pi LED will flash 10 times during shutdown. Then disconnect power.

(4)bootup time has gone from 90 seconds to 'ages'

This is odd. My Pi's boot up < 1min, usually 30 secs even without the fast boot patch.

Here is how to do 4a. It must be done from a terminal session to Moode. Use the PuTTY app if you are on Windows, otherwise for Mac or Linux just open a terminal and ssh in.

Linux/Mac
ssh root@moode (pwd = moode)

Windows
PuTTY, host name = moode, connection type = ssh, then press OPEN button, a terminal window will open and password prompt will appear (pwd = moode)

Once the Moode command prompt appears in the terminal window, enter the command string in step (1) below. If you are using Moode 2.4 test release then replace r23 with r24

(1) /var/www/tcmods/r23/cmds/utility.sh edit-eth0

This opens the network interface config file in the nano editor

==================
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
wpa-ssid <YOUR-SSID-NAME>
wpa-psk <YOUR-WIFI-PASSWORD>

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
==================

(2) Put comment char (#) in front of last two lines as follows:

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

(3) Save the file by entering the keystrokes below. <return> is the return or enter key

Ctrl-x
y
<return>

(4) reboot

Regards,
Tim

SteveW
18-10-2015, 21:43
Excellent Tim
Many thanks

SteveW
19-10-2015, 06:27
Damn...

Went from this last night
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/D5699CFA-593F-4A5D-A28B-8AF2939BFEB3_zps4rzaiowv.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/D5699CFA-593F-4A5D-A28B-8AF2939BFEB3_zps4rzaiowv.png.html)

To this first thing this morning.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/0F2270D2-CF05-4993-80EA-28A106214418_zps9mw7svlb.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/0F2270D2-CF05-4993-80EA-28A106214418_zps9mw7svlb.png.html)

SteveW
19-10-2015, 06:32
Still.. Not a major problem as MPoD app on the iPhone has retained the whole library.

Starterman
19-10-2015, 08:11
Many thanks Tim!!!

I have emailed you my version of your user guide.

If I feel brave enough I will have a go at disabling the ethernet code. :eek:
In the meantime I'm happy to listen to some tunes.

Kit1cat
19-10-2015, 08:36
"(2) Is there an easy way to duplicate my micro SD card

Not that I am aware of. I just copy the image to the card."

Image writer for windows allows you to copy a image from your SD card to your computer hard drive, you should then be able to write that image to a new SD card which would give you a duplicate of your origanal Sd card. I have not treid this but I think it sholud work.

killie99
19-10-2015, 10:38
I think this is a general computer issue rather than a Moode issue. I cannot connect to the gui using http://moode , I have to enter the actual ip address (i downloaded ip Scanner to find out the ip address of the pi). Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

struth
19-10-2015, 10:48
It rarely works for me eitther but does on occasion. Not worked out the reason yet Stuart. I always just use the local ip anyways which if you find your router address will be easy to find. The router address will always stay the same but unless you change at router to static addresses the the pi may change when switched off and back on(normally if nothing else has been assigned a ip then it will stay same). Its easy to find anyways.
I asume it may be a router or a browser issue

Aligauld
19-10-2015, 10:49
I think this is a general computer issue rather than a Moode issue. I cannot connect to the gui using http://moode , I have to enter the actual ip address (i downloaded ip Scanner to find out the ip address of the pi). Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Hi There,
I've always had to input the ip address of Moode but I just created a link on the desktop or home screen of my ipad using the ip and that connects just fine.

Cheers,
Alistair

Aligauld
19-10-2015, 10:59
I use Rocket Dock to keep the desktop tidy but this is the general idea
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/aligauld/desktop%201_zpsc6b2azyz.jpg

and the details
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/aligauld/desktop%202_zpsazeeorfx.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Alistair

Canetoad
19-10-2015, 11:37
"(2) Is there an easy way to duplicate my micro SD card

Not that I am aware of. I just copy the image to the card."

Image writer for windows allows you to copy a image from your SD card to your computer hard drive, you should then be able to write that image to a new SD card which would give you a duplicate of your origanal Sd card. I have not treid this but I think it sholud work.

It does work. :)

Kit1cat
19-10-2015, 11:55
It does work. :)

Great, that's handy to know. :)

Rothchild
19-10-2015, 12:59

I find if I use the hostname in a browser to connect to my box, I have to use the port number too - don't know what port moode runs on but on mine I go http://diepi:4040 (cos my subsonic server is on port 4040) and I can get through (I can also use ipaddress:4040 for the same thing)

Also recommend (if you can) using your router to reserve a particular IP address for the pi so it's always in the same place (numberwise).

TimCurtis
19-10-2015, 16:57
Damn...

Went from this last night
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/D5699CFA-593F-4A5D-A28B-8AF2939BFEB3_zps4rzaiowv.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/D5699CFA-593F-4A5D-A28B-8AF2939BFEB3_zps4rzaiowv.png.html)

To this first thing this morning.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/Stevewaller/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/0F2270D2-CF05-4993-80EA-28A106214418_zps9mw7svlb.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/Stevewaller/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/0F2270D2-CF05-4993-80EA-28A106214418_zps9mw7svlb.png.html)

Hi Steve,

Very odd.

I notice that "Updating" appears in the Browse button. Is an MPD database update in progress when you press the Library tab button?

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
19-10-2015, 17:08
@Steve,

I forgot to mention something regarding the really really slow boot time.

If after selecting REBOOT in Moode the "Connecting" page with the big spinner appears and the Browser is left open, Moode sometimes does not reconnect. This can make it seem as if the reboot is taking forever because the Moode UI does not come up. In this case just close the browser tab and open a new one and access Moode afresh. A typical reboot up to the point when Moode UI is available takes < 1 min. Ssh access to Linux on the Pi is usually available < 30 secs.

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
19-10-2015, 17:29

Hi Stuart,

The symptom "cannot access by name and must use ip address" suggests a configuration issue in the router or that the router does not include either DNS or mDNS name resolution services.

Moode WebUI is basically a web site accessed via standard http port 80. There are three urls that can be used to access Moode depending on how names are resolved on the network.

(1) http://moode
(2) http://moode.local
(3) http://IP-ADDRESS-OF-PI

For example on my home network, my router, an ASUS RT-N66U, includes a DNS name resolution service that automatically places the host name of the Pi in its database when the Pi receives its ip address from the router. This allows the router to resolve the host name "moode" to its ip address in the url http://moode.

Another approach used by routers is to include a name resolution service called Multicast DNS or mDNS instead of DNS (Unicast DNS). This service performs name resolution for host names with a .local suffix. In this case http://moode.local should work.

Lastly, if name resolution service is not present in the router, the ip address can be used.

Regards,
Tim

robtweed
19-10-2015, 17:55
Tim

Having played around with both Volumio and RuneAudio, I have to say I'm very impressed with Moode - all sorts of stuff that required fiddling about in the others "just works" in Moode.

The Internet Radio selections are great and nice to have them all pre-setup - especially the Linn and Naim stations. One observation though: the BBC Radio 3 link does not appear to be the HD (320k) stream, but shows up in Audio info as a 128k stream. Any chance this could be changed?

One thing that would make Moode perfect in my opinion - the ability to tell it to play tracks at random from a complete NAS or local USB source.

Great work, Tim!

Rob

TimCurtis
19-10-2015, 19:01
Tim

Having played around with both Volumio and RuneAudio, I have to say I'm very impressed with Moode - all sorts of stuff that required fiddling about in the others "just works" in Moode.

The Internet Radio selections are great and nice to have them all pre-setup - especially the Linn and Naim stations. One observation though: the BBC Radio 3 link does not appear to be the HD (320k) stream, but shows up in Audio info as a 128k stream. Any chance this could be changed?

One thing that would make Moode perfect in my opinion - the ability to tell it to play tracks at random from a complete NAS or local USB source.

Great work, Tim!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the nice compliment! I really appreciate it :-)

The BBC stations are all 128k MP3 streams and not the new 320k HLS streams. Apparently MPD, the music server engine that Moode uses, does not yet have the capability to decode the HLS format. I think the capability will be developed for MPD because there are a lot of UK audio enthusiasts asking for HLS support on various forums.

If you want to try random song play from an entire source, use the Browse panel to add NAS/folder or USB/folder to the Playlist then press the random button on the Playback panel. I'm not sure what the track limit is for the Playlist, but I just tested ~3500 tracks from a test NAS/Music folder. At one point in the past I think I tested successfully at ~ 12K tracks.

The only issue is that the automatic scroll-to function that positions the currently playing item in the Playlist within the viewable area does not seem to work quite right. Another opportunity for bug fixing :-)

Regards,
Tim

The Black Adder
19-10-2015, 19:07
Hi Tim.

Would you know why track titles/artists are not displayed whilst listening to BBC channels? Other stations like Jazz Groove display them so just wondered if this is something to do with the station decoding or Moode itself?

Thanks
Josie

TimCurtis
19-10-2015, 19:55
Hi,

@robtweed, I forgot how much I enjoy random play. Thanks for bringing it up :-)

Tim

TimCurtis
19-10-2015, 20:16
Hi Tim.

Would you know why track titles/artists are not displayed whilst listening to BBC channels? Other stations like Jazz Groove display them so just wondered if this is something to do with the station decoding or Moode itself?

Thanks
Josie

Hi Jo,

Its because the station does not include the "Title" metadata tag in its stream. If a station includes the Title tag its usually formatted as "Album - Song Title" like you see when playing The Jazz Groove. Other stations just stuff the song title in the "Title" tag. When a station does not include the Title tag, Moode just displays the station URL.

The reason radio stations don't include some or any metadata in their streams has to do with the type of streaming software they use and whether they have a process for providing the metadata.

Actually, the logic in Moode for dealing with radio station metadata is pretty complex because stations don't follow the rules and do all sorts of bad things with metadata.

Regards,
Tim

The Black Adder
19-10-2015, 20:32
Hi Jo,

Its because the station does not include the "Title" metadata tag in its stream. If a station includes the Title tag its usually formatted as "Album - Song Title" like you see when playing The Jazz Groove. Other stations just stuff the song title in the "Title" tag. When a station does not include the Title tag, Moode just displays the station URL.

The reason radio stations don't include some or any metadata in their streams has to do with the type of streaming software they use and whether they have a process for providing the metadata.

Actually, the logic in Moode for dealing with radio station metadata is pretty complex because stations don't follow the rules and do all sorts of bad things with metadata.

Regards,
Tim

Ah.. I see.

Thanks Tim. Sorry for the questions but, how come my DAB radio displays information on BBC channels? Is that something totally different?

Thanks
Jo

TimCurtis
19-10-2015, 21:08
Ah.. I see.

Thanks Tim. Sorry for the questions but, how come my DAB radio displays information on BBC channels? Is that something totally different?

Thanks
Jo

Hi Jo,

I'm not familiar with "DAB radio" but after reading about it, DAB sounds somewhat similar to the XM/Sirius and HD Radio digital broadcast systems in the States. XM/Sirius is a subscription based over-the-air digital broadcast systems, and HD radio is the digital equivalent of analog FM radio. The market for these systems is primarily car audio.

The stations DAB and Internet broadcasts would likely be using separate streaming systems. The DAB system is including metadata.

Regards,
Tim

struth
19-10-2015, 21:21
I think Dab, like tv etc uses PIP's(programme information platform) for metadata. the internet streams might not

killie99
19-10-2015, 21:53
Hi Stuart,

The symptom "cannot access by name and must use ip address" suggests a configuration issue in the router or that the router does not include either DNS or mDNS name resolution services.

Moode WebUI is basically a web site accessed via standard http port 80. There are three urls that can be used to access Moode depending on how names are resolved on the network.

(1) http://moode
(2) http://moode.local
(3) http://IP-ADDRESS-OF-PI

For example on my home network, my router, an ASUS RT-N66U, includes a DNS name resolution service that automatically places the host name of the Pi in its database when the Pi receives its ip address from the router. This allows the router to resolve the host name "moode" to its ip address in the url http://moode.

Another approach used by routers is to include a name resolution service called Multicast DNS or mDNS instead of DNS (Unicast DNS). This service performs name resolution for host names with a .local suffix. In this case http://moode.local should work.

Lastly, if name resolution service is not present in the router, the ip address can be used.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim, I use a Netgear WNR3500L but I don't see anything about mDNS in the menu's. I think I can use Tomato firmware on it, I'll need to see if that might work.

robtweed
20-10-2015, 06:47
Tim

Many thanks for the responses to my earlier questions!

One further question - or more like looking for tips. I have some live material I've recorded at uncompressed 96/24. If I store the files on my NAS source (actually a USB drive attached to a Mac Mini on my home network), I can't play them without serious sound break-up: it would seem that even though everything is connected over hard-wired Ethernet, either the file isn't being streamed to Moode on the Raspberry Pi fast enough, or the buffer on Moode isn't correctly sized. I've tried all sorts of buffer sizes on Moode, from very small to very large, with some improvements here and there, but I still get break-up.

Perhaps there are options I can use when defining the NAS source on Moode that would allow me to tune how the files are sent to the Raspberry Pi over TCP - eg packet size etc? Any suggestions / advice welcome.

Placing the files on a local USB drive on the Pi solves the problem, so it's not entirely critical. 44/16 sources (both uncompressed and Apple Lossless) stream just fine from the Mac by the way, so it's clearly an issue with the sheer rate of streaming that's required with 96/24 files that's the issue.

Cheers

Rob

robtweed
20-10-2015, 08:18
Tim

Your suggestion on random play worked perfectly. I'd missed that trick of adding the entire source to the playlist - nice one! By the way. it seems to cope with my iTunes library of >11,000 tracks just fine.

Now I'm very happy! I'm now getting all audio sources being sent bit-perfectly and un-tampered-with to my Caiman II DAC via the Pi/Moode/Digi+. All other solutions I'd used did things like re-sampling to 48/16 (eg Apple TV), or were impossible to determine if/how they were tampering with the original stream.

This is a great, and crazily low-cost streaming solution! A great combination with the Caiman II too - I have it connected from the Digi+ via the co-ax wired connection (pro 75 Ohm cable), simply because the 2 Toslink connections on the Caiman were already in use for other devices with only Toslink connections.

One suggestion - on the play screen, it might be an idea to have the playlist in its own separate scrollable div tag so you can still scroll up and down in the main area where the play and volume controls reside. I think it might help make that screen more usable with very large playlists. Alternatively have a view option where you can disable / turn off the playlist display altogether from that screen so the responsiveness of the screen isn't affected by having to cope with a very large playlist.

I'm tempted, Tim, to see what I could do with a bit of Node.js on the back-end, and React.js / React Native on the front.... but then again work has a habit of getting in the way of such fun stuff!

Thanks, BTW, to this forum and its participants which is how I discovered all about these options, components and tricks/suggestions in the first place.

Rob

TimCurtis
20-10-2015, 15:39
Tim

Many thanks for the responses to my earlier questions!

One further question - or more like looking for tips. I have some live material I've recorded at uncompressed 96/24. (1) If I store the files on my NAS source (actually a USB drive attached to a Mac Mini on my home network), I can't play them without serious sound break-up: it would seem that even though everything is connected over hard-wired Ethernet, either the file isn't being streamed to Moode on the Raspberry Pi fast enough, or the buffer on Moode isn't correctly sized. I've tried all sorts of buffer sizes on Moode, from very small to very large, with some improvements here and there, but I still get break-up.

Perhaps there are options I can use when defining the NAS source on Moode that would allow me to tune how the files are sent to the Raspberry Pi over TCP - eg packet size etc? Any suggestions / advice welcome.

(2) Placing the files on a local USB drive on the Pi solves the problem, so it's not entirely critical. 44/16 sources (both uncompressed and Apple Lossless) stream just fine from the Mac by the way, so it's clearly an issue with the sheer rate of streaming that's required with 96/24 files that's the issue.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

The two symptoms below suggest a bottleneck either in the Mac Mini, the file sharing protocol or configuration being used in the Mini, or less likely but still possible, an issue in the network device (router or switch) that connects both the Pi and the Mini.

(1) If I store the files on my NAS source (actually a USB drive attached to a Mac Mini on my home network), I can't play them without serious sound break-up

(2) Placing the files on a local USB drive on the Pi solves the problem

It's not a streaming protocol (like what a radio station uses) that occurs between NAS and Pi but rather a file transfer protocol (like a file copy). The Pi believes the NAS is a locally attached disk even though it is somewhere else on the network. The sample rate of the song file is not a factor and buffer changes in MPD should never be required.

To troubleshoot this I would start with a 30 sec ping test initiated on the Pi and to the Mini while playing a song located on the Mini in Moode to see what the round trip times look like and also whether there is any packet loss. We want to see 0% packet loss :-)

Stress Test Comparator: this is what a ping test looks like from a Pi-1B (OC'd to 1GHz) over WiFi to my file server (ms1) while Moode is playing a 120MB DSF (DSD rip) song file located on the server. This Pi is connected to a BerryNOS Red TDA1543 DAC and configured for SoX resampling at 16/176.4 kHz. CPU runs at 75% for DSF resampled. I play DSF, 24/96 FLAC, etc from file server to this Pi and never any audio glitches.

Authenticated to rp1 ([192.168.1.51]:22).
Linux rp1 4.1.10+ #820 PREEMPT Sun Oct 4 15:33:59 BST 2015 armv6l

___ ___ ___
/ _ \ / _ \< /
/ , _// ___// /
/_/|_|/_/ /_/

Moode Audio Player
Release 2.4

This software is provided for free by
the copyright holders and contributors
and comes with no expressed or implied
warranties or any other guarantees.

Last login: Tue Oct 20 11:09:52 2015 from 192.168.1.155
root@rp1:~# ping ms1
PING ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=1 ttl=128 time=3.01 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=2 ttl=128 time=5.54 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=3 ttl=128 time=2.40 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=4 ttl=128 time=4.97 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=5 ttl=128 time=5.71 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=6 ttl=128 time=2.72 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=7 ttl=128 time=5.00 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=8 ttl=128 time=5.49 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=9 ttl=128 time=3.25 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=10 ttl=128 time=1.13 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=11 ttl=128 time=5.43 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=12 ttl=128 time=5.95 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=13 ttl=128 time=6.26 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=14 ttl=128 time=5.18 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=15 ttl=128 time=5.54 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=16 ttl=128 time=4.31 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=17 ttl=128 time=3.92 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=18 ttl=128 time=5.62 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=19 ttl=128 time=2.86 ms
64 bytes from ms1.home.local (192.168.1.21): icmp_req=20 ttl=128 time=2.36 ms
^C
--- ms1.home.local ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 19031ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.131/4.336/6.268/1.462 ms
root@rp1:~#

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
20-10-2015, 15:42
Tim

Your suggestion on random play worked perfectly. I'd missed that trick of adding the entire source to the playlist - nice one! By the way. it seems to cope with my iTunes library of >11,000 tracks just fine.

Now I'm very happy! I'm now getting all audio sources being sent bit-perfectly and un-tampered-with to my Caiman II DAC via the Pi/Moode/Digi+. All other solutions I'd used did things like re-sampling to 48/16 (eg Apple TV), or were impossible to determine if/how they were tampering with the original stream.

This is a great, and crazily low-cost streaming solution! A great combination with the Caiman II too - I have it connected from the Digi+ via the co-ax wired connection (pro 75 Ohm cable), simply because the 2 Toslink connections on the Caiman were already in use for other devices with only Toslink connections.

One suggestion - on the play screen, it might be an idea to have the playlist in its own separate scrollable div tag so you can still scroll up and down in the main area where the play and volume controls reside. I think it might help make that screen more usable with very large playlists. Alternatively have a view option where you can disable / turn off the playlist display altogether from that screen so the responsiveness of the screen isn't affected by having to cope with a very large playlist.

I'm tempted, Tim, to see what I could do with a bit of Node.js on the back-end, and React.js / React Native on the front.... but then again work has a habit of getting in the way of such fun stuff!

Thanks, BTW, to this forum and its participants which is how I discovered all about these options, components and tricks/suggestions in the first place.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Playlist is scrollable separate from the main playback panel. Are u not getting any scrollbars or scrolling action when the huge playlist is loaded?

Regards,
Tim

robtweed
20-10-2015, 16:04
Sorry, Tim, you're right - the Playlist is separately scrollable.

However I am finding that having such a huge playlist loaded into the browser is clobbering the performance of the rest of the page (I'm using Chrome on a Macbook Air) - everything becomes really sluggish

Rob

robtweed
20-10-2015, 16:53
Thanks Tim

Well I'm getting 0% packet loss on all tests, but when I get the audio glitches, it's at times when the ping time spikes occasionally above 15-20ms. Most of the time the ping time is around 4ms, during which time the sound is just fine as you'd expect.

The servers upstairs are connected through an ethernet powerline extender, so I guess that might be a culprit for the occasional long round trips. The Mac Mini does nothing else but act as a music server, so there shouldn't be any problem there. I can only otherwise assume there's other network traffic causing some occasional congestion.

BTW what's your recommended MPD buffer settings (I can't remember what the original settings were)

Rob

TimCurtis
20-10-2015, 18:16

However I am finding that having such a huge playlist loaded into the browser is clobbering the performance of the rest of the page (I'm using Chrome on a Macbook Air) - everything becomes really sluggish

Rob

Hi Rob,

The sluggish performance is due to the design of the Playlist loader in Moode. It reads the entire Playlist into the Browsers memory space. This is ok 99% of the time since typical Playlist is not too large.

I like your suggestion for an option to "turn off the Playlist [loader]". This would effectively solve the performance issue. The Playlist would still exist on the server (Pi) and random play would still work from an entire NAS or USB source.

I'll have to play around with this a bit and see what happens :-)

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
20-10-2015, 18:33
Thanks Tim

Well I'm getting 0% packet loss on all tests, but when I get the audio glitches, it's at times when the ping time spikes occasionally above 15-20ms. Most of the time the ping time is around 4ms, during which time the sound is just fine as you'd expect.

The servers upstairs are connected through an ethernet powerline extender, so I guess that might be a culprit for the occasional long round trips. The Mac Mini does nothing else but act as a music server, so there shouldn't be any problem there. I can only otherwise assume there's other network traffic causing some occasional congestion.

BTW what's your recommended MPD buffer settings (I can't remember what the original settings were)

Rob

Hi Rob,

The result of the ping test and the presence of Powerline adapters strongly suggests the bottleneck is the Powerline adapters.

Default MPD settings:
- Audio buffer size (KB) 2048
- Buffer fill before play 20%

Regards,
Tim

Kit1cat
22-10-2015, 10:05
Hi Tim,

Is there any way to alter channel balance from within moode or alsamixer? I came across this for alsamixer, but it not working when I log on to alsamixer via my ipad, pressing the keys alters the DSP program.

"You can also control left & right levels for the current channel independently, as follows:

[Q | W | E ] -- turn UP [ left | both | right ]

[Z | X | C ] -- turn DOWN [ left | both | right ]

If the currently selected mixer channel is not a stereo channel, then all UP keys will work like W, and all DOWN keys will work like X. "

http://linux.die.net/man/1/alsamixer

Thanks

Barry

TimCurtis
22-10-2015, 11:49
Hi Tim,

Is there any way to alter channel balance from within moode or alsamixer? I came across this for alsamixer, but it not working when I log on to alsamixer via my ipad, pressing the keys alters the DSP program.

"You can also control left & right levels for the current channel independently, as follows:

[Q | W | E ] -- turn UP [ left | both | right ]

[Z | X | C ] -- turn DOWN [ left | both | right ]

If the currently selected mixer channel is not a stereo channel, then all UP keys will work like W, and all DOWN keys will work like X. "

http://linux.die.net/man/1/alsamixer

Thanks

Barry

Hi Barry,

The "amixer" command can be used to set separate L/R channel volumes, however they will be overridden by Moode volume setting since Moode is using MPD to set volume and MPD has no capability to set or maintain individual L and R channel volumes.

amixer set <MIXER_NAME> L%,R%

Ex:

root@rp3:~# amixer set Digital 40%,60%
Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 207
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 83 [40%] [-62.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 125 [60%] [-41.00dB] [on]

Regards,
Tim

Kit1cat
22-10-2015, 12:04
Thanks Tim, but I think it will be easier to move my chair :)

TimCurtis
22-10-2015, 16:42
Thanks Tim, but I think it will be easier to move my chair :)

lol, sometimes doing things the analog way is better!

T.

TimCurtis
22-10-2015, 16:43
Hi,

A new version of knob.sh is available for download and testing at
http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/knob.sh.zip

This version supports mute toggle and volume stepping to better support IR remotes.

Examples:

/var/www/knob.sh 10
/var/www/knob.sh mute (this will toggle the mute state)
/var/www/knob.sh up 3
/var/www/knob.sh down 3

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
23-10-2015, 01:03
Hi,

Added the very nice ES9032 based Mamboberry HiFi DAC+ to Moode 2.4 :-)

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
24-10-2015, 16:45

Rob

Hi Rob,

Turning off the Playlist loader will definitely fix the performance issue :-) just need to design it into a feature that makes sense and looks good in the UI. The blank playlist is not so nice looking...

Also, your nice idea got me looking at the code that performs automatic scrolling to the selected Playlist item. This code never worked quite right due to way it was calculating the number of pixels that had to be scrolled up or down to get the item in view. This is FIXED. And there was some bad code that I got rid of so "double-bonus" :-)

Btw, the Playlist on/off feature probably won't make it into 2.4 but if you want to turn it off manually, email tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll send you the edit that needs to be made in player_lib.js file. Its really simple.

Regards,
Tim

Kit1cat
25-10-2015, 09:37
"Turning off the Playlist loader will definitely fix the performance issue :-) just need to design it into a feature that makes sense and looks good in the UI. The blank playlist is not so nice looking..."

How about the Audio Info screen?

Barry

TimCurtis
26-10-2015, 00:38
Hi,

Dynamic Range Radio added to Moode 2.4 plus a feature to disable the Playlist display when using random play through a large music collection. This will prevent the WebUI from being bogged down from having a huge playlist loaded into the Browser memory. Thanks @robtweed :-)

Regards,
Tim

robtweed
26-10-2015, 14:54
You're welcome, Tim! Can't wait to try it out. When will it be available for testing?

Rob

struth
26-10-2015, 16:34
Is there any way a vista pc can see and use the server sending device.(forgot the name but it lets you sent music to pi over bband) That i use in my win8 pc. It would be great if i could. It doesnt appear anywhere on the panel on left under moode.

TimCurtis
26-10-2015, 16:46
You're welcome, Tim! Can't wait to try it out. When will it be available for testing?

Rob

Hi Rob,

The plan of record is to releaseMoode 2.4 around the end of October, maybe on All Hallows Eve :-)

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
26-10-2015, 16:49
Is there any way a vista pc can see and use the server sending device.(forgot the name but it lets you sent music to pi over bband) That i use in my win8 pc. It would be great if i could. It doesnt appear anywhere on the panel on left under moode.

Hi Grant,

Are you looking for a way to copy music files from Vista PC to Moode? I'm not sure I understand the question...

Regards,
Tim

struth
26-10-2015, 17:08
Hi Grant,

Are you looking for a way to copy music files from Vista PC to Moode? I'm not sure I understand the question...

Regards,
Tim

Sorry, yes. I can do it from my win 8 pc upstairs but can find no trace of it on the vista one. Ive looked a few times but dunno it its a vista problem(wouldnt surprise me) Cannot remember the name of the system I use but may be samba.

TimCurtis
26-10-2015, 18:09
Sorry, yes. I can do it from my win 8 pc upstairs but can find no trace of it on the vista one. Ive looked a few times but dunno it its a vista problem(wouldnt surprise me) Cannot remember the name of the system I use but may be samba.

Hi Grant,

Try mapping a drive
http://www.wintuts.com/Map-Network-Drive

For example: z: mapped to \\moode\NAS (or \\moode\USB, \\moode\SDCARD)

Then the z: drive will show up in Windows File Explorer

Regards,
Tim

struth
26-10-2015, 18:34
Hi Grant,

Try mapping a drive
http://www.wintuts.com/Map-Network-Drive

For example: z: mapped to \\moode\NAS (or \\moode\USB, \\moode\SDCARD)

Then the z: drive will show up in Windows File Explorer

Regards,
Tim

Why didnt I think of that :doh: coz I'm an idiot!! I will give that a go tomorrow Tim. thanks

struth
27-10-2015, 00:00
Nice one Tim. That seems to have done the trick.. I will be able to use my beloved EAC again now, as it wouldn't work on the win 8 pc. Most grateful:)

robtweed
29-10-2015, 09:36
I found a great site providing details of all/most UK Radio stations that provide streams over the Internet:

http://www.listenlive.eu/uk.html

In that list is the BBC Radio 3 HD (320k) service link - which expands to this:

[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=2
File1=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_p?s=1446103278&e=1446117678&h=86402c5541e56f44fbfccca69255992c
Title1=No Title
Length1=-1
File2=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_q?s=1446103278&e=1446117678&h=82b4d6fed1a10cfebea7dd75f5450ab7
Title2=No Title
Length2=-1

I tried adding the first to Moode and up it came - and Audio Info confirms that it is indeed the 320k stream

BTW it took me a while to find the Create Radio Station link (under the menu option link for every radio station) - I'd just comment that it didn't seem the most intuitive place to put it, hence my difficulty finding it. However, I have to say it worked a treat - I've added quite a few UK stations from that list.

One question, Tim - if I've added Radio stations, what happens when I next upgrade Moode - I know you're always adding stations on each release. Will my customised list be overwritten?

Cheers

Rob

robtweed
29-10-2015, 13:38
OK so it's not that simple - I was playing that Radio 3HD stream all morning, changed to a different station, went back to the Radio 3 HD stream and it was no longer working. When I checked inside the .pls file, the URLs had changed - using the latest ones brought it back. It appears that the BBC keep changing them which is a pain

Not sure if Moode could be modified to extract the latest URL from a .pls file (the .pls link remains the same)?

Rob

TimCurtis
29-10-2015, 15:24
OK so it's not that simple - I was playing that Radio 3HD stream all morning, changed to a different station, went back to the Radio 3 HD stream and it was no longer working. When I checked inside the .pls file, the URLs had changed - using the latest ones brought it back. It appears that the BBC keep changing them which is a pain

Not sure if Moode could be modified to extract the latest URL from a .pls file (the .pls link remains the same)?

Rob

Hi Rob,

This is with Moode 2.4 test release correct?

Here is a test that you can try that uses the MPD "load" command instead of "add" which is what Moode uses for radio stations.

(1) ssh root@moode (pwd = moode)
(2) telnet localhost 6600 (this is connection to MPD)
(3) load "/var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/NAME_OF_BBC3_PLS_FILE.pls"

(4) In Moode UI go to last item in Playlist which should be the loaded pls file and start play back
(5) At some point switch to another station, then try BBC3 again and see if it plays

If you have added radio stations then connect to the "RADIO" cifs/smb share that Moode posts and copy off the pls files. Then copy them back after new image. Remember to open Browse panel, click on menu for WEBRADIO and select "Update this folder"

Regards,
Tim

robtweed
29-10-2015, 16:52
Hi Tim

yes - this is 2.4 test release.

I'm a bit confused what pls file to use - but whatever I tried, I got the following message from the load command, eg:

OK MPD 0.19.0
load "/var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/BBC Radio 3 HD.pls"
ACK [50@0] {load} No such playlist

and nothing showed up in the playlist.

Rob

robtweed
29-10-2015, 17:01
Tim

Perhaps you could go through all the steps before I use the load command...

So the BBC R3 HD link is this:

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/http-icy-aac-lc-a/format/pls/vpid/bbc_radio_three.pls

Its contents vary over time, but right now it's this:

[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=2
File1=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_p?s=1446130544&e=1446144944&h=d4793dce4c907846f6d4a6e7f1371b31
Title1=No Title
Length1=-1
File2=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_q?s=1446130544&e=1446144944&h=de591be243a25e9c204aaae5a205146b
Title2=No Title
Length2=-1

If I'm typing load "/var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/BBC Radio 3 HD.pls" that assumes that a file exists in that path - I see the files that are in there already as a result of using the Create Radio Station. Do I first create a new Radio Station using the UI, and if so do I use the .pls URL or one of the ones it contains? Or is there a different step I've missed?

I'm confused :-)

Rob

TimCurtis
29-10-2015, 17:35
Tim

Perhaps you could go through all the steps before I use the load command...

So the BBC R3 HD link is this:

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/http-icy-aac-lc-a/format/pls/vpid/bbc_radio_three.pls

Its contents vary over time, but right now it's this:

[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=2
File1=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_p?s=1446130544&e=1446144944&h=d4793dce4c907846f6d4a6e7f1371b31
Title1=No Title
Length1=-1
File2=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_q?s=1446130544&e=1446144944&h=de591be243a25e9c204aaae5a205146b
Title2=No Title
Length2=-1

If I'm typing load "/var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/BBC Radio 3 HD.pls" that assumes that a file exists in that path - I see the files that are in there already as a result of using the Create Radio Station. Do I first create a new Radio Station using the UI, and if so do I use the .pls URL or one of the ones it contains? Or is there a different step I've missed?

I'm confused :-)

Rob

Hi Rob,

My bad. Here is what to do:

(1) Make a new pls file called "Rob.pls" containing

[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=2
File1=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_p?s=1446130544&e=1446144944&h= d4793dce4c907846f6d4a6e7f1371b31
Title1=No Title
Length1=-1
File2=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_q?s=1446130544&e=1446144944&h= de591be243a25e9c204aaae5a205146b
Title2=No Title
Length2=-1

(2) copy it to /var/www/mpd/music/WEBRADIO

(3) load /var/www/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/Rob.pls

That should work :-)

Tim

robtweed
29-10-2015, 18:08
I assume you meant /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/
/var/www/mpd doesn't exist.

I'm still getting the same error:

root@moode:~# telnet localhost 6600
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
OK MPD 0.19.0
load "/var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/BBC_R3HD_Test.pls"

The file exists in that path and contains:

[playlist]
numberofentries=2
File1=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_p?s=1446130544&e=1446144944&h= d4793dce4c907846f6d4a6e7f1371b31
Title1=No Title
Length1=-1
File2=http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_q?s=1446130544&e=1446144944&h= de591be243a25e9c204aaae5a205146b
Title2=No Title
Length2=-1

Rob

TimCurtis
29-10-2015, 18:43
I assume you meant /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/
/var/www/mpd doesn't exist.

I'm still getting the same error:

root@moode:~# telnet localhost 6600
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
OK MPD 0.19.0
load "/var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/BBC_R3HD_Test.pls"

The file exists in that path and contains:

[playlist]
numberofentries=2
Title1=No Title
Length1=-1
Title2=No Title
Length2=-1

Rob

Hi Rob,

Maybe permissions...

chmod 777 /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/BBC_R3HD_Test.pls

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
29-10-2015, 19:36
@Rob,

I tested on my end and there were couple of issues including permissions, malformed URI's in the pls file and that the load command takes relative path i.e., load WEBRADIO/BBC_R3HD_Test.pls :-)

Of course due to BBC silly geo-locking of the streams I can't verify whether the URL's actually work, or whether they are automatically refreshed as a result of being loaded as a playlist file in MPD.

Tim

From ssh session

(1) chmod 777 /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/BBC_R3HD_Test.pls
(2) nano /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/BBC_R3HD_Test.pls

in the File1 and File2 lines remove the space in the URI's
Ex: 1446117678&h= 86402c5541e56f44fbfccca69255992c

(3) Ctrl-x y <return> to save the file

From Moode UI

(4) Browse panel, click on menu for WEBRADIO folder and "Update this folder"
(5) Verify that BBC_R3HD_Test is in Radio Station list

From ssh session

(6) telnet localhost 6600
(7) load WEBRADIO/BBC_R3HD_Test.pls

From Moode UI

(8) Verify two new items at bottom of Playlist
(9) Test playback

robtweed
30-10-2015, 10:16
Hi Tim

Thinking about this issue, there's actually no problem adding the Radio 3 HD link using the standard means - the problem is that the BBC frequently change the underlying URLs, so the trick is to keep these updated by replacing the URL in the playlist file. I'm going to knock together a Node.js function for this and run it from within a setTimeout loop on the pi - that should do the trick.

Another question - I think you've been asked this before but just wondering whether you've got a Spotify client scheduled for inclusion in Moode? I've used the one in RuneAudio. My interest in this has been renewed by finding this brilliantly cunning module for creating a playlist from Spotify Radio, thereby working around the fact that there's no API for Spotify Radio at present:

https://github.com/callahanrts/spotify-radio-to-playlist

I just tested it on my Macbook Air and it works, and I was able to use the playlist I created from it on my Samsung Smart TV, but I'd rather have it available bit-perfect via the Pi (I've no idea what re-sampling occurs between the TV and its Toslink output), and integrated through Moode

TimCurtis
30-10-2015, 13:14
Hi Rob,

I can impliment directly in Moode if a fresh playlist file needs to be fetched each time BBC 320K station is played, but I first need to verify that the direct streaming URL inside the .m3u8 playlist file actually works. I can't do that from the States due to BBC geo-locking these 320K streams.

If you wouldn't mind, run the procedure below to verify the direct streaming URL for BBC 3. Note that in (1) we fetch a fresh copy of the playlist file from BBC then in step (7) we use MPD LOAD command instead of ADD.

Questions are:

a) does stream play continuously?
b) when switching to another station and then back to BBC stream does it still play?

Btw, I had to quote all the http urls in this post to prevent them from becoming live links.

Regards,
Tim

SSH SESSION

(1) wget "http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8"
(2) cp ./bbc_radio_three.m3u8 /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO
(3) chmod 777 /var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO/bbc_radio_three.m3u8

MOODE UI

(4) Browse panel, click on menu for WEBRADIO folder and "Update this folder"
(5) Click WEBRADIO folder and verify that "bbc_radio_three" is in the list

SSH SESSION

(6) telnet localhost 6600
(7) load WEBRADIO/bbc_radio_three.m3u8

MOODE UI

(8) Verify that new "Streaming source" item at bottom of Playlist
(9) Test playback

================================================== ===

BBC HLS STREAM LINKS
"http://steveseear.org/high-quality-bbc-radio-streams/"

BBC Radio 1
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8"

BBC Radio 1Xtra
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_1xtra.m3u8"

BBC Radio 2
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8"

BBC Radio 3
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8"

BBC Radio 4
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8"

BBC Radio 4LW
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_fourlw.m3u8"

BBC Radio 4 Extra
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_four_extra.m3u8"

BBC Radio 5 Live
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_five_live.m3u8"

BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra.m3u8"

BBC Radio 6 Music
"http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_6music.m3u8"

BBC Asian Network
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_asian_network.m3u8"

================================================== ===

robtweed
30-10-2015, 13:37
Hi Tim

All steps up to (8) worked OK

However, when I click on Streaming Source in the Playback panel, nothing happens. Audio Info shows:

Input Processing
Source: http://as-hls-uk-live.edgesuite.net/pool_7/live/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio%3d320000.m3u8?dvr_window_length=24
Decoded to:
Rate: 0 bps

Rob

robtweed
30-10-2015, 13:40
BTW, the downloaded file contained the following:

root@moode:~# cat bbc_radio_three.m3u8
#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-VERSION:2
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=339200,CODECS="mp4a.40.2"
http://as-hls-uk-live.edgesuite.net/pool_7/live/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio%3d320000.m3u8?dvr_window_length=24

If I find the bbc_radio_3 station in the Browse panel and click Edit Station, no URL is present in the URL field.

Rob

robtweed
30-10-2015, 13:55
Aha but if I use the .pls URL, the steps work perfectly.

URL is "http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/http-icy-aac-lc-a/format/pls/vpid/bbc_radio_three.pls"

Audio Info shows:

Input Processing
Source: "http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_q?s=1446205564&e=1446219964&h=b85bdda2e7b0de9e50fddf148901675b"
Decoded to: Stereo, 16 bit, 48 kHz
Rate: 321 kbps

I can switch stations and BBC R3 comes back

It shows as No Title in the Playlist, presumably because this is what it's defined as in the .pls file:

root@moode:~# cat bbc_radio_three.pls
[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=2
File1="http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_p?s=1446205564&e=1446219964&h=d4d8d410385e6bc5b68601dbb947cecf"
Title1=No Title
Length1=-1
File2="http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_lc1_radio3_q?s=1446205564&e=1446219964&h=b85bdda2e7b0de9e50fddf148901675b"
Title2=No Title
Length2=-1

Rob

TimCurtis
30-10-2015, 16:27
Hi Rob,

I'm glad the link in the pls file works but everything I've read suggests that the m3u8 links are the ones that should be used. I think I know why the first m3u8 based playlist did not work and I have a different one that hopefully will work.

The BBC playlist below is from the Naim minimserver site http://minimstreamer.com/naim/bbcradio.html and it adds a level of indirection i.e., its a playlist of playlist links.

http://minimstreamer.com/samples/BBC%20Radio.m3u.sample

Simply paste the contents at the link into a file named BBC_HD_Stations.m3u (not m3u8) and copy it to /var/lib/mod/music/WEBRADIO and then run steps 3-9 substituting the new file name as appropriate.

My theory is that the initial connection between MPD and BBC need to be to the stations m3u8 playlist file and not its direct stream url.

Btw, thanks for testing :-)

Regards,
Tim

mikeyb
30-10-2015, 20:05
Hi,

Here's an issue to check out, I noticed it tonight after using my iPad to airplay Tidal to my MoOde controlled Pi, after using the iPad most of the day this way, I then switched to using my android smartphone and Bubble uPnP to control Tidal to the Pi and it sounded much quieter? Something was wrong so I then went onto MoOde via the web page and checked the settings and the Hardware volume was set at 38?

I normally have it at between 90 and 100.

So, why is the volume control on the iPad changing the volume setting, software volume control I could understand, but my setup is definitely hardware volume, or am I being stoopid and missing something?

Thanks

Mike.

PS: running MoOde 2.3

TimCurtis
30-10-2015, 21:33
Hi,

Here's an issue to check out, I noticed it tonight after using my iPad to airplay Tidal to my MoOde controlled Pi, after using the iPad most of the day this way, I then switched to using my android smartphone and Bubble uPnP to control Tidal to the Pi and it sounded much quieter? Something was wrong so I then went onto MoOde via the web page and checked the settings and the Hardware volume was set at 38?

I normally have it at between 90 and 100.

So, why is the volume control on the iPad changing the volume setting, software volume control I could understand, but my setup is definitely hardware volume, or am I being stoopid and missing something?

Thanks

Mike.

PS: running MoOde 2.3

Hi Mike,

The Airplay receiver (shairport-sync) in Moode interfaces to ALSA hardware or software volume directly and its separate from Moode volume. If hardware volume is being used by shairport then the ALSA volume % will change.

In one of the 2.x releases I plan to save current volume setting before starting shairport then restore it after shairport stops.

Too many volume controls!

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
31-10-2015, 02:03
Hi,

Moode Audio Player release 2.4 is available for download at http://moodeaudio.org :-)

This release includes new Linux kernel, latest version of MPD and updated ALSA utils plus a variety of updates, bug fixes, new I2S DAC's and a really great selection of user contributed listener-supported, commercial-free radio stations.

Note that external scripts can now access current song metadata including albumart url and radio station logo url via the new currentsong.txt file.

Refer to release notes for details.

Enjoy!

Regards,
moodeaudio.org (http://moodeaudio.org)
Moode Twitter Feed (http://twitter.com/MoodeAudio)
Tim Curtis

======================
2.4 Release 2015-10-30
======================

New features

- NEW: Linux kernel version 4.1.10+ Raspbian (Jessie)
- NEW: MPD version 0.19.10 compiled with pipe, recorder and httpd options
- NEW: Support for exFAT file system
- NEW: Support for CUE sheets (.cue files)
- NEW: Autoplay last played item after player start (System config setting)
- NEW: Knob.sh mute toggle, up/down step, print current volume, volume limit check
- NEW: Current song metadata and coverart URL written to currentsong.txt file
- NEW: Playlist display-disable Customize setting for random play large collection

Media

- NEW: Absolute Radio 00s
- NEW: Absolute Radio 60s
- NEW: Absolute Radio 70s
- NEW: Absolute Radio 80s
- NEW: Absolute Radio 90s
- NEW: Classic And Jazz
- NEW: Dynamic Range Radio
- NEW: France Culture
- NEW: France Musique
- NEW: Jazz24
- NEW: KDHX 88.1 FM St. Louis
- NEW: Koffee
- NEW: La Premiere
- NEW: Mad Music Asylum
- NEW: Musiq 3
- NEW: Radio Monte Carlo FM - RMC 1
- NEW: Radio Swiss Jazz
- NEW: RadioActive FM 88.6

Updates

- UPD: I2S audio device selection automatically populates Customize and Audio info popups
- UPD: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro Dual Clock, PlainDAC and PlainDAC+ added to i2s select and device db
- UPD: Audiophonics PCM5122 DAC, Lucid Labs Raspberry Pi DAC and Mamboberry DAC+ added to i2s select and device db
- UPD: Arcam irDAC, Chord 2Qute, QuteHD (S/PDIF), LKS MH-DA003 and Nuforce HDP DAC added to device database
- UPD: ifi AUdio Nano iDsD, and Matrix Mini-i Pro added to device database
- UPD: Compensate for blank Title tag transmitted by some radio stations
- UPD: Compensate for really long url being sent in Title tag by Classic And Jazz station
- UPD: Disable kernel select feature pending future removal due to lack of use
- UPD: Automatically set Analog volume controls for HiFiBerry DAC+ and DAC+ Pro
- UPD: Change "Delete item(s)" to "Remove item(s)" in Playlist action menu and popup
- UPD: Improved help text on Network configuration page
- UPD: Setup instructions have more detail for easier WiFi setup
- UPD: Improve label and help text for DSD audio on MPD config page
- UPD: Update MPD "audio buffer size" and "fill before play %" to new defaults
- UPD: Update libav-tools to version 6.11.4, alsa-utils to version 1.0.28
- UPD: Update /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf for new card ordering reqts in alsa-utils 1.0.28
- UPD: Change from using mapped ALSA volume to straight percentage in System config
- UPD: Selected Playlist item remains highlighted after pause/stop for improved visibility

Bug fixes

- FIX: Cover image extract issue for specific m4a format
- FIX: Slider controls on config pages not changing to theme color on iPad
- FIX: Incorrect parsing of radio station url when it contains "=" char
- FIX: Controls mis-aligned on System config page when using IE/Chrome
- FIX: Upmpdcli always being started via init.d script at boot time
- FIX: AAC decode bit depth shows as "f" instead of a bit depth, assume decode to 24 bit
- FIX: Network config Apply Settings if pressed for existing WiFi conection, deletes setting
- FIX: Excessive MPD logging ("verbose") causing potential performance issue
- FIX: Inaccurate positioning for customScroll when varying item heights in Playlist

mikeyb
31-10-2015, 06:04
Hi Mike,

The Airplay receiver (shairport-sync) in Moode interfaces to ALSA hardware or software volume directly and its separate from Moode volume. If hardware volume is being used by shairport then the ALSA volume % will change.

In one of the 2.x releases I plan to save current volume setting before starting shairport then restore it after shairport stops.

Too many volume controls!

Regards,
Tim
Hi Tim,

I wondered if that was the case, I'll try and remember to reset the volume on the iPad to max before switching off. I'm assuming that should put the volume back to 100 [emoji6]

Thanks for the prompt reply and explanation.

Mike.

struth
31-10-2015, 06:39
Hi,

Moode Audio Player release 2.4 is available for download at http://moodeaudio.org :-)

This release includes new Linux kernel, latest version of MPD and updated ALSA utils plus a variety of updates, bug fixes, new I2S DAC's and a really great selection of user contributed listener-supported, commercial-free radio stations.

Note that external scripts can now access current song metadata including albumart url and radio station logo url via the new currentsong.txt file.

Refer to release notes for details.

Enjoy!

Regards,
moodeaudio.org (http://moodeaudio.org)
Moode Twitter Feed (http://twitter.com/MoodeAudio)
Tim Curtis

======================
2.4 Release 2015-10-30
======================

New features

- NEW: Linux kernel version 4.1.10+ Raspbian (Jessie)
- NEW: MPD version 0.19.10 compiled with pipe, recorder and httpd options
- NEW: Support for exFAT file system
- NEW: Support for CUE sheets (.cue files)
- NEW: Autoplay last played item after player start (System config setting)
- NEW: Knob.sh mute toggle, up/down step, print current volume, volume limit check
- NEW: Current song metadata and coverart URL written to currentsong.txt file
- NEW: Playlist display-disable Customize setting for random play large collection

Media

- NEW: Absolute Radio 00s
- NEW: Absolute Radio 60s
- NEW: Absolute Radio 70s
- NEW: Absolute Radio 80s
- NEW: Absolute Radio 90s
- NEW: Classic And Jazz
- NEW: Dynamic Range Radio
- NEW: France Culture
- NEW: France Musique
- NEW: Jazz24
- NEW: KDHX 88.1 FM St. Louis
- NEW: Koffee
- NEW: La Premiere
- NEW: Mad Music Asylum
- NEW: Musiq 3
- NEW: Radio Monte Carlo FM - RMC 1
- NEW: Radio Swiss Jazz
- NEW: RadioActive FM 88.6

Updates

- UPD: I2S audio device selection automatically populates Customize and Audio info popups
- UPD: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro Dual Clock, PlainDAC and PlainDAC+ added to i2s select and device db
- UPD: Audiophonics PCM5122 DAC, Lucid Labs Raspberry Pi DAC and Mamboberry DAC+ added to i2s select and device db
- UPD: Arcam irDAC, Chord 2Qute, QuteHD (S/PDIF), LKS MH-DA003 and Nuforce HDP DAC added to device database
- UPD: ifi AUdio Nano iDsD, and Matrix Mini-i Pro added to device database
- UPD: Compensate for blank Title tag transmitted by some radio stations
- UPD: Compensate for really long url being sent in Title tag by Classic And Jazz station
- UPD: Disable kernel select feature pending future removal due to lack of use
- UPD: Automatically set Analog volume controls for HiFiBerry DAC+ and DAC+ Pro
- UPD: Change "Delete item(s)" to "Remove item(s)" in Playlist action menu and popup
- UPD: Improved help text on Network configuration page
- UPD: Setup instructions have more detail for easier WiFi setup
- UPD: Improve label and help text for DSD audio on MPD config page
- UPD: Update MPD "audio buffer size" and "fill before play %" to new defaults
- UPD: Update libav-tools to version 6.11.4, alsa-utils to version 1.0.28
- UPD: Update /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf for new card ordering reqts in alsa-utils 1.0.28
- UPD: Change from using mapped ALSA volume to straight percentage in System config
- UPD: Selected Playlist item remains highlighted after pause/stop for improved visibility

Bug fixes

- FIX: Cover image extract issue for specific m4a format
- FIX: Slider controls on config pages not changing to theme color on iPad
- FIX: Incorrect parsing of radio station url when it contains "=" char
- FIX: Controls mis-aligned on System config page when using IE/Chrome
- FIX: Upmpdcli always being started via init.d script at boot time
- FIX: AAC decode bit depth shows as "f" instead of a bit depth, assume decode to 24 bit
- FIX: Network config Apply Settings if pressed for existing WiFi conection, deletes setting
- FIX: Excessive MPD logging ("verbose") causing potential performance issue
- FIX: Inaccurate positioning for customScroll when varying item heights in Playlist

couldnt find the download Tim

mikeyb
31-10-2015, 06:41
Hi Grant,

It's just above the PayPal logo on http://moodeaudio.org . Here is the link.

http://moodeaudio.org/docs/download.html

Mike.

struth
31-10-2015, 06:54
Hi Grant,

It's just above the PayPal logo on http://moodeaudio.org . Here is the link.

http://moodeaudio.org/docs/download.html

Mike.

I dont get a paypal logo either.. got test code but nowt in it very odd

struth
31-10-2015, 07:06
Changed browser and got it.... its not working in Opera. none of the links were so used firefox. thanks

mikeyb
31-10-2015, 07:11
Changed browser and got it.... its not working in Opera. none of the links were so used firefox. thanks
Hi,

Ah, never thought of that, its too early lol.

Glad you've sorted it, I'll wait and see what you think of 2.4 before I try it [emoji6]

Mike.

robtweed
31-10-2015, 14:36
Also problematic in Chrome on Mac. I had to use Safari to get the download link.

Happy to report that v2.4 works a treat. Nice work, Tim!

Adding a Spotify client would make it even better! :-)

Rob

struth
31-10-2015, 14:39
Not carded it up yet but will do so soon .wasat a preview of my daughters halloween party... Looking really spooky in daytime. Lol

robtweed
31-10-2015, 14:51
Hi Tim

Sadly the BBC_HD_Stations.m3u test didn't work. The MPD load command caused the stations to appear in the playlist, but none of them played (this was using your latest 2.4 release)

Rob

TimCurtis
31-10-2015, 14:55
Also problematic in Chrome on Mac. I had to use Safari to get the download link.

Happy to report that v2.4 works a treat. Nice work, Tim!

Adding a Spotify client would make it even better! :-)

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the feedback :-)

You can always use Airplay receiver on Moode to play streaming music services. This way you get all the nice features of the music services native UI plus if you have multiple Pi's u get synchronized multi-room audio !

If you get a few moments, try the BBC test in my earlier post. I think I can get the BBC HLS streams supported in Moode if I can figure out whats going on with the "official" m3u8 links.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?40322-Moode-Player-Help&p=697261#post697261

Btw, it might be stale Browser cache thats causing issue with the updated moodeaudio.org. After I upload the new pages, I always have to refresh Browser to get the new pages and popups to show.

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
31-10-2015, 14:57
Hi Tim

Sadly the BBC_HD_Stations.m3u test didn't work. The MPD load command caused the stations to appear in the playlist, but none of them played (this was using your latest 2.4 release)

Rob

Hi Rob,

Very odd. I'll investigate.

Are there any more of the PLS links for BBC?

Regards,
Tim

robtweed
31-10-2015, 15:16
Understood that I could use Airplay. However, doesn't Airplay package up things as an Apple Lossless 44.1/16 format? I'd rather have the raw 320k stream direct from Spotify

Rob

TimCurtis
31-10-2015, 15:45
Understood that I could use Airplay. However, doesn't Airplay package up things as an Apple Lossless 44.1/16 format? I'd rather have the raw 320k stream direct from Spotify

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, Airplay resamples to 16/44.1 if necessary and uses Apple Lossless (ALAC) container format. The transport protocol is RAOP which is Apple's version of standard RTSP. Apple added device authentication and AES stream encryption.

Compressed audio formats are decoded to 16/44.1 anyway so as long as no resampling is being done in the audio pipeline ahead of Airplay it will just use the 16/44.1 samples coming out of the codec.

Regards,
Tim

struth
31-10-2015, 16:19
Moode 2.4 now running fine..excellent in fact ... Think it may just be foo but it sounds better than the 2.2 issue i was running in this pi... Only issue was getting it to findcand read the hdd. Had to switch it off then back on for some reason..

Thanks Tim for another top job

robtweed
31-10-2015, 16:31
Thanks Tim - I was wondering if I was fretting over nothing :-)

BTW Grant - I had delivery of one of those Anker power supplies and am now powering the Pi with it, and using my lashed together 8XAA battery supply to power the Caiman II. Had the house to myself earlier and able to crank the sound up to nice levels. My system is sounding phenomenal now - incredible clean sound and detail that I've not heard before on tracks I've known for years :-)

struth
31-10-2015, 16:37
Good to know Rob.. Tell us how many hrs you get from a charge:)

robtweed
01-11-2015, 12:40
Ran the Pi for 10-12 hours yesterday and the Anker had dropped to 70%. Got it powering both the Pi and the Caiman II today so I'll see what kind of drain I get today.

I reused the connector adaptors I'd bought for my AA battery rig:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-12v-2-1mm-CCTV-Power-Connector-Adapter-for-RG59-2-Cable-Jack-Socket/170741936666?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D32957%26meid%3D99a2b536588044e3b59b4625002d 8d7b%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D181 312916297&clk_rvr_id=902881578728&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=921738051452&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

The socket that came with that kit fits the tip of the cable that comes with the Anker and the plug fits the Caiman II. The other cable that comes with the Anker - the USB cable - fits the USB power socket on the Pi. So a pretty simple way to power up both devices.

Rob

robtweed
01-11-2015, 17:09
Tim

Two odd things I've noticed.

1) My 2 Mac minis that are connected to my network by wired Ethernet display moode as Shared in Finder which is what I'd expect. However my Macbook Air which of course is wireless-connected doesn't show it in Finder (I can access it by SSH and browser OK though)

2) Although I have Airplay enabled in Moode, none of my Macs show it on their Airplay dropdown. I tried resetting, rebooting, switching volume control from disabled to software, but no luck

Any ideas?

Cheers

Rob

robtweed
01-11-2015, 17:17
Tim

Quick follow-up - strangely enough, moode is showing up OK on Airplay on my iPhone, just not on the Macs. I don't have any firewall enabled on any of them BTW.

Rob

TimCurtis
01-11-2015, 17:33
Tim

Quick follow-up - strangely enough, moode is showing up OK on Airplay on my iPhone, just not on the Macs. I don't have any firewall enabled on any of them BTW.

Rob

Hi Rob,

(1) On Macbook Air, Finder, Shared, All. I usually have to open "All" to see the Pi's.

(2) I'm seeing the Moode Airplay receivers no problem on Macbook Air (Yosemite).

Suggest rebooting all the macs and letting them rediscover things. I've had to do this on occasion. Btw, what version of OS X are u running on the mini's and the Air?

Regards,
Tim

robtweed
01-11-2015, 17:57
OK so that may be one issue - the Air is now on El Capitan, whereas the Minis are on Yosemite. It appears that on El Capitan you don't have an All.. option in Finder. Looks like El Capitan doesn't see the Pi :-(

I've tried the trick of "sudo pkill coreaudiod" to reset Airplay, but I still only see my Apple TV box coming up (on all Macs). All very weird.

robtweed
01-11-2015, 18:20
And just to confirm that rebooting the Air didn't help :-(

robtweed
01-11-2015, 18:23
Well I spoke too soon - moode just appeared in Finder - took some time after the reboot, but still no joy with it showing up in the Airplay dropdown unfortunately

TimCurtis
02-11-2015, 01:28
Hi Rob,

I retested Airplay support and no issues in my test environment. The Pi Airplay receivers all show up in IOS, OS X system volume and iTunes volume. It's odd that your Mini's that are running Yos are not seeing the Airplay receivers but in Elcap its probably bug.

On your MBA, do the Airplay receivers show up in iTunes volume control?

Here are my Apple components:

Macbook Air
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
- iTunes 12.3.1.23

iPhone 5
- IOS 9.1

iPod Touch 5th Gen
- IOS 9.1

iPad Mini 2
- IOS 9.1

Regards,
Tim

robtweed
02-11-2015, 07:38
Well maybe it's me going mad! Rebooted the Pi this morning and everything now shows up OK on the Air! :-)

robtweed
02-11-2015, 07:41
Grant

Running both the Pi and Caiman II for about 12 hours from the Anker battery pack yesterday left it still with about 30% power, so pretty good results I think

Rob

struth
02-11-2015, 09:41
Grant

Running both the Pi and Caiman II for about 12 hours from the Anker battery pack yesterday left it still with about 30% power, so pretty good results I think

Rob
Havevyou tried using it while charging Rob or cant that be done?

robtweed
02-11-2015, 12:06
Grant

I haven't been brave enough to try that....yet Must have a look in the instruction manual to see what it says about that :-)

robtweed
02-11-2015, 12:14
Grant

Looks like it's possible - here's what the instruction booklet notes about doing so:

"When the battery's power level is below 30%, the multi-voltage port will not charge another device while the battery is being charged. The USB charging ports are not affected by this limitation

Simultaneous charging and discharging, although supported and not in any way dangerous, will slightly reduce the external battery's lifespan"

Rob

struth
02-11-2015, 12:27
Interesting, Rob.. So it would still keep the pi going but not a 12volt supply. Food for thought..thanks for that great bit of info.

TimCurtis
03-11-2015, 15:22
Hi,

FYI for those of you using new release 2.4, there is a network throughput issue due to old mount settings. It's particularly evident on WiFi connections. It can be fixed by clicking "Advanced options" when configuring a NAS mount and entering the settings below for Rsize and Wsize fields. Fix will b in release 2.5 :-)

** RECOMMEND REMOVE EXISTING NAS MOUNT AND RE-MOUNT WITH NEW SETTINGS

Rsize = 61440
Wsize = 65536

Note old settings: Rsize/Wsize (8048/8096)

Here is some test data from my network when performing MPD DB Update on CIFS/NAS based collection of 14,508 tracks, mostly FLAC. I'm seeing a significant improvement in WiFi throuput with the new settings :-)

Wired: 14,508 tracks, MPD DB update

- New 06 mins, 40 tracks/sec (1.17X faster)
- Old 07 mins, 34 tracks/sec

Wifi: 14,508 tracks, MPD DB update

- New 14 mins, 17 tracks/sec (2X faster)
- Old 26 mins, 09 tracks/sec

Regards,
Tim

The Black Adder
08-11-2015, 06:12
Hi Tim.

Just a quickie if I may. How does moode determine the sampling rate? I just want to experiment with changing the sampling rate (or to not upsample at all using for example 44khz) but I can't find an option in Moode to do this.

Thanks
Josie:)

TimCurtis
08-11-2015, 15:28
Hi Tim.

Just a quickie if I may. How does moode determine the sampling rate? I just want to experiment with changing the sampling rate (or to not upsample at all using for example 44khz) but I can't find an option in Moode to do this.

Thanks
Josie:)

Hi Josie,

Menu, Configure, MPD

MPD configuration

- Resampling (choose a rate or "disabled")
- Sample rate converter (set to SoX: Very High Quality)
- APPLY
- Wait a bit for MPD to restart

If Resampling is set to "disabled" Moode leaves the samples at their original rate.

Regards,
Tim

struth
08-11-2015, 15:56
Grant

Looks like it's possible - here's what the instruction booklet notes about doing so:

"When the battery's power level is below 30%, the multi-voltage port will not charge another device while the battery is being charged. The USB charging ports are not affected by this limitation

Simultaneous charging and discharging, although supported and not in any way dangerous, will slightly reduce the external battery's lifespan"

Rob

I decided to go with a dual linear psu. 1 side to do the rpi and the other to do the phono stage. Will let you know how it goes

The Black Adder
08-11-2015, 16:25
Hi Josie,

Menu, Configure, MPD

MPD configuration

- APPLY

If Resampling is set to "disabled" Moode leaves the samples at their original rate.

Regards,
Tim

Doh!... yes... thank you , Tim... how I missed that I don't know... complete blonde moment, even though I'm not blonde. lol

Regards
Josie :)

struth
08-11-2015, 16:55
Hi Josie,

Menu, Configure, MPD

MPD configuration

- APPLY

Regards,
Tim

Meant to ask Tim... Is there any differen e between disabled and selecting 44 16. When playing a 44 16 flac file.?

TimCurtis
08-11-2015, 17:16
Meant to ask Tim... Is there any differen e between disabled and selecting 44 16. When playing a 44 16 flac file.?

Hi Grant,

No diff.

You can tell by looking at the Audio Info popup. FLAC 16/44.1 files with either "disabled" or 16/44.1 resampling set will result in the Decode rate = 16/44.1 = Output rate. Also CPU % utilization will be very low indicating resampler disengaged.

Regards,
Tim

struth
08-11-2015, 17:20
Hi Grant,

No diff.

You can tell by looking at the Audio Info popup. FLAC 16/44.1 files with either "disabled" or 16/44.1 resampling set will result in the Decode rate = 16/44.1 = Output rate. Also CPU % utilization will be very low indicating resampler disengaged.

Regards,
Tim

Thanks Tim. Wasnt sure if the resampler was engaged or if as they will be the same it would just ignore it...nice to know

cyclopse
08-11-2015, 17:37
Hi Josie,

Menu, Configure, MPD

MPD configuration

- APPLY

Regards,
Tim

Brilliant, much easier than changing manually for the different resolutions.

Thanks

Steve

Kit1cat
10-11-2015, 12:58
Hi Tim,

I have been doing some research into trying to setup a wlan static ip address for moode. (Router does not support ip reserve) Can it be done?

Came accross this article http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/16683276-how-to-setup-a-static-ip-address-on-your-raspberry-pi

Would this work? I can access the files using serverauditor from my ipad.

Thanks

Barry

The Black Adder
10-11-2015, 13:06
Hi Tim.

Just a quick question. In Alsamixer does the Analogue Playback Boost [dB gain: 0.00, 0.00] to [dB gain: 0.80, 0.80] slider do any filtering or is it just (as it suggests) a boost in the db range?

Thanks
Josie

TimCurtis
10-11-2015, 14:30
Hi Tim,

I have been doing some research into trying to setup a wlan static ip address for moode. (Router does not support ip reserve) Can it be done?

Came accross this article http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/16683276-how-to-setup-a-static-ip-address-on-your-raspberry-pi

Would this work? I can access the files using serverauditor from my ipad.

Thanks

Barry

Hi Barry,

That should work, just have an ethernet cable handy :-)

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
10-11-2015, 14:43
Hi Tim.

Just a quick question. In Alsamixer does the Analogue Playback Boost [dB gain: 0.00, 0.00] to [dB gain: 0.80, 0.80] slider do any filtering or is it just (as it suggests) a boost in the db range?

Thanks
Josie

Hi Josie,

For DAC's based on the PCM5122 chip which includes IQaudIO Pi-DAC+, HifiBerry DAC+ and DAC+ Pro, the two sliders in alsamixer named "Analogue" and "Analogue Playback Boost" are for the analog volume controls on the chip. These controls have only two steps 0 and 100. I forget what the dB equivalents are.

IQaudIO recommends setting both volumes to 100 for their Pi-DAC+ board. HifiBerry recommends setting "Analogue" to 100 and "Analogue Playback Boost" to 0 for their DAC+ boards.

Moode makes these settings automatically during startup for these DAC's.

Regards,
Tim

The Black Adder
10-11-2015, 14:57
Hi Josie,

For DAC's based on the PCM5122 chip which includes IQaudIO Pi-DAC+, HifiBerry DAC+ and DAC+ Pro, the two sliders in alsamixer named "Analogue" and "Analogue Playback Boost" are for the analog volume controls on the chip. These controls have only two steps 0 and 100. I forget what the dB equivalents are.

IQaudIO recommends setting both volumes to 100 for their Pi-DAC+ board. HifiBerry recommends setting "Analogue" to 100 and "Analogue Playback Boost" to 0 for their DAC+ boards.

Moode makes these settings automatically during startup for these DAC's.

Regards,
Tim

Ah... righty-ho. Thanks very much.
Jo :)

Wayne Bull
10-11-2015, 22:35
Hi Tim,

Firstly hello to your good self and everyone else at AOS who have not seen my welcome post.

I have a Iqaudio pi-digiamp. Would this have to be set to software volume control, thus controlling the alsa volume?

Cheers

Wayne

TimCurtis
11-11-2015, 00:11
Hi Tim,

Firstly hello to your good self and everyone else at AOS who have not seen my welcome post.

I have a Iqaudio pi-digiamp. Would this have to be set to software volume control, thus controlling the alsa volume?

Cheers

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

The optimal config for IQaudIO PI-DigiAMP+ (and Pi-DAC+) is the following:

(1) Menu, Configure, MPD
MPD volume control = "Hardware"

(2) Menu, Customize, Hardware Volume Control
Logarithmic curve = "Yes"

Regards,
Tim

Wayne Bull
11-11-2015, 06:26
Hi Wayne,

The optimal config for IQaudIO PI-DigiAMP+ (and Pi-DAC+) is the following:

(1) Menu, Configure, MPD
MPD volume control = "Hardware"

(2) Menu, Customize, Hardware Volume Control
Logarithmic curve = "Yes"

Regards,
Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll give that a try.

Wayne Bull
11-11-2015, 10:15
Thanks Tim, I'll give that a try.

Tim,

I've applied your given settings. I'm using either mupeace or bubbleupnp for playback control.

One thing I've noticed with these settings is that the actual volume doesn't seem to kick in until I reach around the 50/100 mark.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Kit1cat
11-11-2015, 12:29
Hi Barry,

That should work, just have an ethernet cable handy :-)

Regards,
Tim

Thanks Tim, it's working great, managed to copy the modified interfaces file to my computer hard drive for future use.

Another question, is the Power Off option ment to turn the pi/dac completely off, it just seems to turn the usb ports off on my pi/dac?

Barry

TimCurtis
11-11-2015, 14:53
Tim,

I've applied your given settings. I'm using either mupeace or bubbleupnp for playback control.

One thing I've noticed with these settings is that the actual volume doesn't seem to kick in until I reach around the 50/100 mark.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Hi Wayne,

If u are going to use external player apps, set MPD volume control to "Software" and then in System config set ALSA volume % to 100.

The Hardware volume + Logarithmic curve settings in Moode only apply to the Moode volume knob.

Regards,
Tim

TimCurtis
11-11-2015, 15:05
Thanks Tim, it's working great, managed to copy the modified interfaces file to my computer hard drive for future use.

Another question, is the Power Off option ment to turn the pi/dac completely off, it just seems to turn the usb ports off on my pi/dac?

Barry

Hi Barry,

Raspberry Pi design did not include a built-in mechanism to detect operating system "halt" or "poweroff" commands and then disconnect electrical power after OS shuts down, nor does it include a power switch on the board.

It can be done but requires custom coding and some electronics (relay) to disconnect power from the board, then a physical switch on the board/exclosure to reconnect power to the board so it can boot.

Something like that :-)

Regards,
Tim

Kit1cat
11-11-2015, 15:17
Hi Barry,

Raspberry Pi design did not include a built-in mechanism to detect operating system "halt" or "poweroff" commands and then disconnect electrical power after OS shuts down, nor does it include a power switch on the board.

It can be done but requires custom coding and some electronics (relay) to disconnect power from the board, then a physical switch on the board/exclosure to reconnect power to the board so it can boot.

Something like that :-)

Regards,
Tim

Thanks Tim :-)

struth
11-11-2015, 15:55
Sure a switch could be incorperated on a cusom box and a micro usb on to the pi. I have considered this as its extremely difficult to power off and back on again in my condition. Its probably the only drawback the rpi had for me. Going to have ti consider all this when the new psu comes.. I forgot about it when ordering and im not sure how to get round it yet.

Kit1cat
11-11-2015, 16:06
Sure a switch could be incorperated on a cusom box and a micro usb on to the pi. I have considered this as its extremely difficult to power off and back on again in my condition. Its probably the only drawback the rpi had for me. Going to have ti consider all this when the new psu comes.. I forgot about it when ordering and im not sure how to get round it yet.

Hi Grant, you may find that your new psu has a built in on/off switch, I know the chinese linear psu I looked at did. I have used a in-line power switch with the pi and a maplins psu, worked ok, now using a battery so I just pull the plug out of the battery.

struth
11-11-2015, 16:30
Hi Grant, you may find that your new psu has a built in on/off switch, I know the chinese linear psu I looked at did. I have used a in-line power switch with the pi and a maplins psu, worked ok, now using a battery so I just pull the plug out of the battery.

It does Barry.. Trouble is that it seems to be the same switch for both lines. I would have preferred to switch the phono off but leave pi on but thats not going to happen.. Lack of forethought from me...showing my age

Wayne Bull
11-11-2015, 17:41
Hi Wayne,

If u are going to use external player apps, set MPD volume control to "Software" and then in System config set ALSA volume % to 100.

The Hardware volume + Logarithmic curve settings in Moode only apply to the Moode volume knob.

Regards,
Tim

Cheers Tim. Most helpful.

I think I'll try using the moode software exclusively then as I believe it's been said the sound quality is not so good using software.

Kit1cat
11-11-2015, 17:53
It does Barry.. Trouble is that it seems to be the same switch for both lines. I would have preferred to switch the phono off but leave pi on but thats not going to happen.. Lack of forethought from me...showing my age

Any particular reason for wanting to keep the pi on Grant? I kept mine on to keep the same ip address, but now I have set it up with a static ip address it's no longer a problem, so I turn it off which saves on the battery.

struth
11-11-2015, 18:03
Felt it was maybe better software wise to keep it on but that could be wrong. It uses little power I think. But it may be that I will have to or leave both on.or off..if I find no improvement then I can just return to using the normal smps thing and learn a lesson. Doubt that but you never know till you try it..it will look good though

Kit1cat
11-11-2015, 18:13
Fair point Grant, alway's a chance of corrupting the SD card. In my case, turning it off saves having to recharge the battery every day.

struth
11-11-2015, 23:20
Fair point Grant, alway's a chance of corrupting the SD card. In my case, turning it off saves having to recharge the battery every day.

Yes it will draw enough I guess to drain a battery even in idle. Been quite impressed with moode 2.4. seems to be quite stable not that the other versions werent. Dunno whether there is a limit to the library you can have without having any probems but Ive not found any slowing down so far. Mind you I dont have a massive library(about 6000 tracks or thereabouts)

mikeyb
11-11-2015, 23:52
Hi,

Two issues I have is that it doesn't appear as a renderer choice in my Bubble uPnP app on android unless I go to the web page and listen to one of the radio stations first, once I do that it shows up as one of my renderers in Bubble.

AirPlay with my iPad doesn't have this issue.

And it won't scan my iTunes folder on my NAS, it's probably me being a numpty and not getting the linking right, although it shows a green tick so it should work, but doesn't.

Mike.

struth
12-11-2015, 00:04
I dont use upnp myself so dunno... I do use the samba thing which always works well. not the fastest but quicker than unplugging and doing it on pc re adding tracks etc. I just use the allotted ip to control it. it occasionally changes if I switch it off but its not a problem. easy to find.

mikeyb
12-11-2015, 00:09
I dont use upnp myself so dunno... I do use the samba thing which always works well. not the fastest but quicker than unplugging and doing it on pc re adding tracks etc. I just use the allotted ip to control it. it occasionally changes if I switch it off but its not a problem. easy to find.

Hi,

Yeah I've done that too, I use Bubble because it can access Tidal, Google Music, my WDMycloud NAS and some other services I don't use. Plus I use Bubble to control my Marantz MCR510 media player that I have in my computer room, it's handy being able to do it via one App.

It doesn't do Spotify unfortunately but I prefer Tidal anyway.

Mike.

TimCurtis
12-11-2015, 01:33
Hi,

Two issues I have is that it doesn't appear as a renderer choice in my Bubble uPnP app on android unless I go to the web page and listen to one of the radio stations first, once I do that it shows up as one of my renderers in Bubble.

AirPlay with my iPad doesn't have this issue.

And it won't scan my iTunes folder on my NAS, it's probably me being a numpty and not getting the linking right, although it shows a green tick so it should work, but doesn't.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Send email to tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll help troubleshoot the iTunes NAS issue. I have iTunes library on file server and no issues.

Not sure about "renderer not showing up until.." issue. I use Linn Kinsky control point on IOS for testing and not Bubble/Android because I don't have an Android device...

Regards,
Tim

mikeyb
12-11-2015, 10:19
Hi Mike,

Send email to tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll help troubleshoot the iTunes NAS issue. I have iTunes library on file server and no issues.

Not sure about "renderer not showing up until.." issue. I use Linn Kinsky control point on IOS for testing and not Bubble/Android because I don't have an Android device...

Regards,
Tim
Hi Tim,

Will do.

Thanks,

Mike.