PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about headphones -Advice welcome

gadgie
31-08-2015, 12:24
Now I have another CD, I'm thinking of headphones now.

I'm thinking about getting Momentum 1 over ears, or beyerdynamics DT880 pro 250ohm. I've heard the Momentums and they seem quite good.

Running through my Cyrus 1 and TEAC CD when I get it.

Or is there any other makes I should consider. I was thinking about going to HD650 or something, but would there be a massive difference?

Eisener Bart
31-08-2015, 12:31
Brian,

I have Sennheiser Momentum (first version) and my opinion - it's cans for portative.

For serious listening of cans you have to buy a headamp.

Beyers with high Ohms will requre designated headamp, 'cos most of cans are low Ohms.

HD650 will play good most of musical genres (or "moods") except some extreme heavy genres.

dougmon
31-08-2015, 13:33
I mostly agree with Sergio here; though I own HD600s and have only heard HD650s in a store. But I think that HD600s are great all-around headphones. I'm even thinking of buying another pair just in case; they're that good. Keep in mind here that the Sennheisers (HD600, HD650) are not for everyone; some find the treble rolled off, some find the presentation too laid-back. I just think of them as neutral.

Dane
31-08-2015, 16:40
I have Grado RS- 1 (the older model than the the RS 1 e) Before that I had RS 80, now called RS 80 e. It was a quite good headphone and, as my RS 1, easy to drive from the jack in the amp. I agree that a headphone amp will improve the sound in regards of the jack on some stereo amp's. I experienced that when I bought a headphone amp, first with the RS 80 and later with the RS-1. More headroom, bass and small details. I moved from stereo to a hifi amp. And because the Grado's are so easy to drive, I found they did not need the headphone amp anymore because they suddenly sounded equally good from the headphone amp and the hifi amp's jack. Now, if you go for something like Beyerdynamics or Sennheiser, that is tougher to drive, I think you will need a headphone amp to get the best out of them. But with easy driven headphones like Grado, I would think that you're Cyrus 1 should offer a good sound. But that aside, I looked at pictures of Cyrus 1 and I can't see a headphone jack on it. Are there different Cyrus 1 models? Anyway, I would recommend you listen to Grado RS 80 e if you have the opportunity at a dealer close to you. It's been some years since I sold my RS 80, but I remember the sound being pleasant and coherent with a good amount of detail. And I found them good enough to stick with Grado when I upgraded.
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/513a5e0ce4b0e63d5edfa376/554eb6d9e4b089d79afe3382/554eb704e4b0e06fcd388556/1431222021423/Grado-SR80e-and-Intelligentsia-Coffee-2.jpg?format=500w

Edit I've just checked the price tag on the headphones you thinking about. In danish kroner, but our prices on electronics are similar to other EU countries. So I would say if you go listen to Grado, try the SR 225 e. I remember that there were a difference on the sr 60 and 80 so I paid a little more. Needless to say, it was night and day moving from RS 80 to RS-1 :)
http://tapeconnection.dk/Resources/Files/Produktbilleder/Grado/sr225e_alt.jpg?width=300&height=400&color=ffffff

wee tee cee
31-08-2015, 17:39
Superlux offer great VFM and sound quality. 668b/330/440/660 are all commendable. Check out the THOMMAN site for prices. AKG240 velvet pads fit them and improve the comfort. Good reviews on headfi...

Senn 650s are fantastic cans...which are keepers. 700s are worth every penny but both really benefit from a dedicated HPA (beresford capella will let you tune settings to get the best from any can you plumb in-budget to esoteric) IMHO.

gadgie
01-09-2015, 16:15
The Cyrus I have is one of the first ones and has the headphone socket on the back panel. Problem is that it doesn't cut the sound of the speakers. However I have an old set of electrostatic headphones which has an energiser with a 'speakers/phones' switch.

mikmas
01-09-2015, 16:56
I have Sennheiser Momentum and HD600s and agree with Sergio - the Momentum are fine for 'on the go' or short periods but not comfortable for longer listening; they are described as over-ear but are really 'on-ear'.

The HD600 seem to disappear when I put them on - they are that comfortable. Also have the edge soundwise and are not fatiguing at all although actually the Momentum have a bit more punch with rock and a little more high-end detail. I use the HD600 with a Cmoy headphone amp but it is also fine with the jack on my Q-Dac and a QED speaker switching unit with headphone output direct from a Quad 405-2.

oscarsaudio
01-09-2015, 20:10
What are your old headphones & do you like the sound , do you want open or closed back h/phones . Theres lots of great headphones out there you will need a decent headphone amp to get the most out of them though.

guy
01-09-2015, 21:28
If you do decide on the Grado option it is well worth while looking at Alessandro MS1 - I think that they improve on the SR80, but for some reason they are significantly cheaper to buy direct from Canada than buying Grado in Europe (despite being tweaked Grado)

gadgie
04-09-2015, 23:25
What are your old headphones & do you like the sound , do you want open or closed back h/phones . Theres lots of great headphones out there you will need a decent headphone amp to get the most out of them though.
I can't remember now and I'm not at home. Had them for many years and have kept them because the Mission doesn't have a switch to turn off the speakersm when listening to the headphones, but the energiser does. They sound ok, but I don't think they sound as good as the momentums I've tried.

CageyH
05-09-2015, 06:54
I am surprised at the sound quality of my Sennheiser HD540 reference II.
If you get the chance, try a pair. They pop up second hand fairly often. I have seen a nice looking pair on eBay.

They seem less coloured than my HD650. Almost to a point where I would say they are tonally more accurate.

gadgie
05-09-2015, 13:11
Has anyone tried the 880 pros?

Solrighal
06-09-2015, 21:16
I've been through many headphones over the years. They're actually my preferred way to listen to music. I've finally settled on the gear in my sig and honestly can't see myself changing anything. Sennheiser's HD 650 sounds good through most equipment but fantastic when well fed. They really do scale as well as everyone says. A decent valve amp allows them to really flourish.

Whereabouts in N.E. Scotland are you? I'm in Dundee and would be more than willing to demo this setup for you.

gadgie
06-09-2015, 23:19
Hi Gordon,
I'm from Peternapper. Often go through Dundee so my take you up on your offer.
cheers
Brian

Solrighal
07-09-2015, 04:17
Hi Gordon,
I'm from Peternapper. Often go through Dundee so my take you up on your offer.
cheers
Brian

The Blue Toon. Any time pal, nae worries. I'm actually just outside Dundee but no-one ever knows where it is so we can easily meet up. Just give me a shout.

Gordon.

gadgie
07-09-2015, 05:11
The Blue Toon. Any time pal, nae worries. I'm actually just outside Dundee but no-one ever knows where it is so we can easily meet up. Just give me a shout.

Gordon.

Aye cool. Where about's "the Ferry"?

I was going to write 'Furryboots yi fae' bit at wid be ower muckle:)

Ulysses
07-09-2015, 07:53
I have a pair of Sennheiser momentum over-ear headphones and really like them. Before buying I carried out comparisons with other headphones that were in a similar price range i.e.

Audio technical ath ad500x
Audio technical ath ad900x (closed back and also open back)
Sony MRA-1a
JVC hasz2000
Beyerdynamic DT250/80
B&W P5
Sony MDR-1A
AKG K612

The momentum were the best for sound quality. The Sony MDR-1A gave them a close run, but bass on the Sony’s wasn’t as tight on some tracks with drums, which was a pity because they were more comfortable and looked better. But sound quality was my priority so I went for the momentum’s. Also, because the momentum's are easy to drive a headphone amp is not needed. I recall they were voted best in class by a number of reviews.

I found many of the also-rans were on the bright-side and became fatiguing, especially the Beyerdynamic’s. The only downside with the momentum, as already mentioned, is that they are not really over-ear and can be uncomfortable when used for extensive listening over an hour.

Ultimately, you’ll need to audition for yourself rather than rely on others’ opinions (including mine:)). There are some good and accurate reviews on YouTube which should help at least point you in the right direction so you can short-list a few.

gadgie
07-09-2015, 08:35
I've gone ahead and got Momentum 1 over ears for going around (portable). I'm liking them, but now looking for something more (home use). I think I might be lucky in that the Momentum have fitted well and comfy even on a 6 hour flight. Great sound and comfort compared to normal plane supplied headphones. In fact the sound very good as you have said in your post.
cheers
B

Ulysses
07-09-2015, 09:39
Now I have another CD, I'm thinking of headphones now.

I'm thinking about getting Momentum 1 over ears, or beyerdynamics DT880 pro 250ohm. I've heard the Momentums and they seem quite good.

Running through my Cyrus 1 and TEAC CD when I get it.

Or is there any other makes I should consider. I was thinking about going to HD650 or something, but would there be a massive difference?

Glad you're happy with your choice of momentum's.

I also listened to the more expensive sennheiser range 650 and there isn't a massive difference just different,more airy with a better sound stage. They are not the most comfortable headphone either, so if that's important then try others that excel in comfort.

Eisener Bart
07-09-2015, 11:00
I've gone ahead and got Momentum 1 over ears for going around (portable). I'm liking them, but now looking for something more (home use). I think I might be lucky in that the Momentum have fitted well and comfy even on a 6 hour flight. Great sound and comfort compared to normal plane supplied headphones. In fact the sound very good as you have said in your post.
cheers
B

Brian, my congarts!
It's good choice for portable.

gadgie
07-09-2015, 13:18
Glad you're happy with your choice of momentum's.

I also listened to the more expensive sennheiser range 650 and there isn't a massive difference just different,more airy with a better sound stage. They are not the most comfortable headphone either, so if that's important then try others that excel in comfort.

As I can see that most of my home listening will be on headphones, that's why I'm thinking of getting a pair that have a history of being good. Well I think that's what I'm looking for. I would 'push the boat out' and look for real high end ones, but thinking due to job front...those may have to wait.
Cheers
Brian

gadgie
07-09-2015, 13:19
Brian, my congarts!
It's good choice for portable.

thank you :)

Solrighal
07-09-2015, 16:16
I'm in a wee village called Lundie.

It seems it has to be said again. While the Momentums are decent sounding headphones they're nowhere near the quality of a well amped pair of HD 650's. There's really very few occasions in hi-fi when anyone can really claim a night & day improvement but this would be one such case.

The question is whether the Cyrus One is that amp. I used to own that same model when it was released and I did use headphones with it but i had no terms of reference back then.

Today I drive my speakers with a Marantz PM6004 and although it's good with my speakers it doesn't hold a candle to the Project Ember driving the 650's.

Another thing that's significant. The HD 650 is generally regarded as having a somewhat dark sound and so you might think that pairing it with a valve amp would only compound the issue. That's what I thought and so I was quite happy with the O2 I had bought for my AKG Q701's.

Being a member of another forum with a fairly close affinity with Garage 1217 products I inevitably ended up with the tour Project Ember in my house for 6 weeks. It blew me away, even with the relatively unremarkable stock valve.

I sold the O2 and bought one of the 4 Ember MkII prototypes.

I'm not trying to sell the Ember btw, or any other G1217 product. I've heard great things said about DarkVoice, Schiit etc.

I hope that's of some help.

Eisener Bart
07-09-2015, 17:45
Highest league of head amps - Cavalli Audio (http://www.cavalliaudio.com/)

or - Dark Star (http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/dark-star) of Ray Samuelson.

or my head amp. :trust:

(post number 8)
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?40310-Eisener-Bart-s-Tuning-Room