PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl? And record decks? In Tesco? Is this the end? Or the beginning?

Macca
31-08-2015, 10:05
http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/31/tesco-vinyl-iron-maiden/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi

Reminds me of that bit in 'Withnail And I' when Danny The Dealer bemoans the fact that they are selling hippy wigs in Woolworth's.

Is there really some sort of general technological backlash going on?

struth
31-08-2015, 10:10
Interesting development. I guess Tesco will try anything but you never know it may be a success

Haselsh1
31-08-2015, 10:34
Jesus, anything to make even more money from the public.

Spectral Morn
31-08-2015, 10:41
If its stored right, displayed and priced properly then I am happy with this development.

Regards Neil

User211
31-08-2015, 10:48
£24 for a vinyl Iron Maiden LP in Tescos?

Fail.

£12? Some chance.

struth
31-08-2015, 10:54
25 pounds on amazon

walpurgis
31-08-2015, 10:58
Jesus, anything to make even more money from the public.

Yeah.

Does anybody really care. Next to banks and insurance companies, Tesco must be one of the most unpopular businesses around.

Remember them deliberately hiking all their prices during the last recession?

Michael loves music
31-08-2015, 11:28
If I bought a mint dual or rega planer turntable and stuck it in the wardrobe I'm sure it would increase in value ??

Spectral Morn
31-08-2015, 12:13
Yeah.

Does anybody really care. Next to banks and insurance companies, Tesco must be one of the most unpopular businesses around.

Remember them deliberately hiking all their prices during the last recession?

Not just them, everyone did, shrink the product, keep packaging in some cases the same, and increase the cost.

Regards Neil

spendorman
31-08-2015, 12:39
Interesting development. I guess Tesco will try anything but you never know it may be a success

Didn't they try selling horse meat?

Macca
31-08-2015, 12:48
They did sell Kangaroo meat for a while but there was a bit of an outcry. Too many folks recall 'Skippy', presumably.

Stratmangler
31-08-2015, 12:56
Didn't they try selling horse meat?

What's wrong with horse meat?
It's commonly eaten on mainland Europe.

In answer to your question, probably not, but there was an issue a short while ago with their beef products being contaminated with horse meat.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/22/horsemeat-scandal-guardian-investigation-public-secrecy

spendorman
31-08-2015, 13:00
What's wrong with horse meat?
It's commonly eaten on mainland Europe.

In answer to your question, probably not, but there was an issue a short while ago with their beef products being contaminated with horse meat.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/22/horsemeat-scandal-guardian-investigation-public-secrecy

This was what I was indirectly referring to, sort of a joke. Just my strange sense of humour.

Stratmangler
31-08-2015, 13:02
Getting back on topic, if they carry titles I'm interested in, if the price is competitive, and if the stock is stored and displayed properly, then I might give them a go.
I won't be buying Iron Maiden's album though - I can't stand 'em. I find their music predictable and formulaic, and the production flat and one dimensional.

Stratmangler
31-08-2015, 13:04
This was what I was indirectly referring to, sort of a joke. Just my strange sense of humour.

In which case they were selling horse meat, just nobody knew it ;) :D

Haselsh1
31-08-2015, 13:28
They did sell Kangaroo meat for a while but there was a bit of an outcry. Too many folks recall 'Skippy', presumably.

I guess everyone was hopping mad...?

Haselsh1
31-08-2015, 13:30
To get an idea of how popular vinyl is right now, check out the price of the new issue of 'Amused to Death' by Roger Waters.

struth
31-08-2015, 13:32
Its even jockey free as well now:eyebrows:

Arkless Electronics
31-08-2015, 14:18
I reckon it's just a passing fad.... "yoofs" buying vinyl 'cos it's (temporarily?) "cool" and retro and whom don't give a toss about sound quality. In fact they probably want extra clicks and pops to make it more "authentic"...

Ali Tait
31-08-2015, 14:28
A lot of people are buying it as an investment, with no intention of ever playing it.

The Black Adder
31-08-2015, 14:33
I see it as a FAD sale for Christmas...

Haselsh1
31-08-2015, 18:29
I absolutely welcome it just as I do that very famous single by Jethro Tull ;)

Marco
31-08-2015, 20:25
I think it's great! For me, anything that popularises vinyl, and brings it more into the mainstream, has got be a good thing :)

There's always the chance that the more discerning buyers of the record decks will look to obtain better sound quality, and then start investigating proper turntables! We simply have to get more folk, and preferably younger than we are, into vinyl and high-end audio, to help keep it alive.

Tesco's decision to do this is symptomatic of vinyl's increasing popularity, and the fact that this trend is being reflected in mainstream retail outlets, such as supermarkets, just proves that the current resurgence in the popularity of vinyl isn't merely a flash in the pan... Long may it continue!!

:exactly:

Marco.

mik_rik
31-08-2015, 20:58
I absolutely welcome it just as I do that very famous single by Jethro Tull ;)

You would'nt mean Heavy Horses by any chance ;)

RobbieGong
31-08-2015, 21:37
I think it's great! For me, anything that popularises vinyl, and brings it into the mainstream, has got be a good thing :)

There's always the chance that the more discerning buyers of the record decks will look to obtain better sound quality, and then start investigating proper turntables! We simply have to get more folk, and preferably younger than we are, into vinyl and high-end audio, to help keep it alive.

Tesco doing this is simply another sign of vinyl's increasing popularity, and the fact that the trend is being reflected in mainstream retail outlets, such as supermarkets, just proves that its current resurgence isn't merely a flash in the pan... Long may it continue!!

:exactly:

Marco.

Yep, I'd give a left gonad to see a return of those days when most homes had a separates set up and most high streets had a decent hifi shop :thumbsup:

RichB
31-08-2015, 22:24
Yep, I'd give a left gonad to see a return of those days when most homes had a separates set up and most high streets had a decent hifi shop :thumbsup:

I miss the record shops and the ritual of going there every payday but don't miss the hifi shops anymore. For the curious mind the internet has replaced them and you can often deal directly with the makers of great products now.

I recall volume records in Newcastle was a great shop, I'd go in there every week and chat with the weirdos who ran it. One day I went in and they were playing a debut EP by some young American band who sounded a lot like Led Zeppelin, I bought it and they guy told me they were playing in a local pub that night so I went along. That band turned out to be Soundgarden. Word of mouth doesn't happen like that anymore and you won't find it in Tescos

Macca
31-08-2015, 22:30
Good point that Rich.

I recall those days, had to go to the bank to cash the pay cheque then straight round the corner to the record store. I was only taking home £95 a week so it was strictly 1 album I could buy each week. They had a good system in the shop, SL1210, Technics amp and AR speakers. Proper music enthusiasts behind the desk. They would often be playing something that interested me.

Like you say you don't get that in a supermarket.

RobbieGong
31-08-2015, 22:37
The Internet is fine but you can't beat the tangible aspect. Seeing different gear in front of you is fab whether you know how good it is or not :)

Marco
31-08-2015, 22:38
Good point that Rich.

I recall those days, had to go to the bank to cash the pay cheque then straight round the corner to the record store. I was only taking home £95 a week so it was strictly 1 album I could buy each week. They had a good system in the shop, SL1210, Technics amp and AR speakers. Proper music enthusiasts behind the desk. They would often be playing something that interested me.

Like you say you don't get that in a supermarket.

Sure, but regardless, I can't see Tesco selling vinyl and record players as being anything other than a good thing! :)

Let's hope that the other supermarkets follow suit, for the very reasons I mentioned before.

Marco.

Macca
31-08-2015, 22:41
My reference to Withnail And I was a bit obscure but my point was if Tesco are now selling vinyl and turntables does that not indicate the beginning of the end? It is no longer hip and happening if everyone is doing it.

struth
31-08-2015, 22:42
I dont see it catching on; its still too much of a niche market tbh. Due to online sales they hardly sell dvd's or cd's now.

Marco
31-08-2015, 22:47
Sorry, Grant, I disagree. Huge retail organisations, such as Tesco, wouldn't entertain stocking vinyl now, especially, if the demand wasn't there. And if the demand warrants it, then the increase in the popularity of vinyl amongst the general public isn't simply a flash in the pan.

Yes, it's still a niche market, and probably will always remain so (certainly in comparison with music downloads and streaming), but my prediction is that the popularity of vinyl records is destined to increase more and more, becoming the last remaining physical music format. CD will end up being the casualty, which'll eventually be replaced by streaming.

It could take a few years for that to happen, though.

Marco.

mikmas
31-08-2015, 23:18
Yes, it's still a niche market, and probably will always remain so (certainly in comparison with music downloads and streaming), but my prediction is that the popularity of vinyl records is destined to increase more and more, and that CD will end up being the casualty. It could take a few years for that to happen, though.

Marco.

The trend to 'analogue' is not new but certainly gaining momentum - a similar thing had been happening in photography for some time with young people both curious and enthusiastic about it's possibilities and dissatisfied with the distance (and often dubious quality) that digital technology presents. I think those that dismiss this as a 'yoof' fad are seriously underestimating what is going on and also doing young people a disservice. Sure there will be a lot who will stick to downloading crap MP3s simply to fill up their iPhone memory with toons - but the same can be said of all ages, right up to pensioners (such as myself). The notion that those with refined tastes capable of appreciating the quality vinyl has to offer only exist among the over 40s who still remember the glory days of vinyl is quite frankly a bit daft and short sighted.

Good on Tesco for recognising this need - and I hope a lot more big outlets follow suit :)

Marco
31-08-2015, 23:21
Hear, hear, Mike! We're defo on the same page :thumbsup:

Marco.

Marco
31-08-2015, 23:57
My reference to Withnail And I was a bit obscure but my point was if Tesco are now selling vinyl and turntables does that not indicate the beginning of the end? It is no longer hip and happening if everyone is doing it.

Perhaps, but that's not important. What's important is keeping both vinyl and proper hi-fi alive! The latter will be helped if those buying the cheap T/Ts in Tesco decide to investigate what else is out there that's better.

Often when that happens in other areas of audio, the next port of call is Richer Sounds, and from there who knows? ;)

Marco.

bob4333
01-09-2015, 07:25
Great concept, but you can't trust Tesco with your fruit and veg: what chance vinyl......?

Maybe they'll start their special offers? 1 LP for £15, 2 for £30?

I'm up for anything that popularises vinyl, as competition should be good for bringing the price down - but I can well remember buying high street vinyl, getting it home and finding the playing surface going up and down like kids on a bouncy castle. Then taking it back and seeing it go straight back in the rack to be sold again. Will Tesco be any better?

The Meldrew side of me thinks it's just a quick flash by Tesco to get their name in the news on the cheap.............

Be good if it works though. It'll be interesting to watch this develop.

shane
01-09-2015, 07:34
Can't wait to see a line of listening booths lined with perforated hardboard fed from a row of SP25s!

Marco
01-09-2015, 07:58
Hi Bob,

I'm up for anything that popularises vinyl, as competition should be good for bringing the price down - but I can well remember buying high street vinyl, getting it home and finding the playing surface going up and down like kids on a bouncy castle. Then taking it back and seeing it go straight back in the rack to be sold again. Will Tesco be any better?

Probably not, but for me that's not the point. It's simply about getting vinyl 'out there' to the masses, and as a result possibly tempting some of them to look into in further, and then buy from higher quality outlets, and that applies to T/Ts, too! :)

Marco.

Marco
01-09-2015, 07:58
Can't wait to see a line of listening booths lined with perforated hardboard fed from a row of SP25s!

Now that would be cool! :D

Marco.

Macca
01-09-2015, 08:00
With the perforated hardboard. Forgettaboutit.

Haselsh1
01-09-2015, 13:52

Oh my word, when I was a small kid I used to love the look of the tonearm on an SP25. Just look at what it led to. I now love the look of the Origin Live Silver :eyebrows:

Haselsh1
01-09-2015, 13:54
I remember the heady days of vinyl sales, WH Smith, Boots, Woolworths all trying to get the sale of the precious black disc. Welcome back, there's a place here for you.

Jimbo
01-09-2015, 14:00
I remember the heady days of vinyl sales, WH Smith, Boots, Woolworths all trying to get the sale of the precious black disc. Welcome back, there's a place here for you.

Yep those were the days. I was shocked when I saw the amount of vinyl back on sale in HMV. This was the shop I bought my first LP from ( Wish you were Here):)

Shaun I see you are a TD fan - have you heard Redshift?

Haselsh1
01-09-2015, 14:03
Yep those were the days. I was shocked when I saw the amount of vinyl back on sale in HMV. This was the shop I bought my first LP from ( Wish you were Here):)

Shaun I see you are a TD fan - have you heard Redshift?

James, I am indeed a fan but I am not familiar with that album.

The HMV here in my home town has a very large supply of vinyl but nowhere near as much as there is in the HMV in Sheffield.

Jimbo
01-09-2015, 14:33
Jk

The HMV here in my home town has a very large supply of vinyl but nowhere near as much as there is in the HMV in Sheffield.
Redshift are a band who do TD style stuff extremely well. Try the album Ether. You can't buy it anymore cheaply but have a listen on YouTube.

Jimbo
01-09-2015, 14:33
Jk

Redshift are a band who do TD style stuff extremely well. Try the album Ether. You can't buy it anymore cheaply but have a listen on YouTube.

lovejoy
01-09-2015, 15:53
Well, this bit just isn't true:

"In doing so, it will become the first UK supermarket to enter the vinyl market."

They need to replace the word "enter", with "return to". I remember buying U2s Joshua Tree and Public Enemy's Yo bum rush the show from Tesco in Talbot Green back in the 80s. I also bought The Cure's Boys don't cry from ASDA a bit later on, so it's not really a brand new thing.

I absolutely welcome it though. It will stop it being such a hipster market and be a warning shot to the handful of independents who are charging silly money for vinyl. It wasn't that long ago I was paying £14-£18 for an album depending on whether it was a single or a double slab of vinyl, now it's more like £22-£28.

Macca
01-09-2015, 15:56
if there is room to undercut then the supermarkets will do it.

I recall buying vinyl in a French supermarket once (Mamut) back in the 1980s but I didn't ever see it in a UK equivelent.

Marco
04-09-2015, 14:43
As a point of note, I've just been to my local Tesco in Wrexham, which is one of the large 'Extra' stores, and where the customer service department told me that only two stores in Milton Keynes are stocking the vinyl discussed.

Hardly a concerted effort! :rolleyes: Perhaps someone here who lives in that area could check out whether either of those two stores have the proposed new Iron Maiden album or not?

Anyway, hopefully it'll be a success, and in due course they'll roll the vinyl out to more stores throughout the country.

Marco.

Macca
04-09-2015, 15:05
I'd be more supportive of it if it was part of a general plan to bring back the 1970s.

As it is it is just more of a reminder of what we've lost in the intervening decades.

How about setting up an exchange plan? The kids hand in their i-pods and get issued a BSR autochanger in return; and then we load all the i-pods into a helicopter and drop them into an active volcano whilst playing 'Ride of The Valkirye' (on a BSR autochanger, obviously).

Marco
04-09-2015, 15:06
Hell, I'd vote for that! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Joe
04-09-2015, 15:20
if there is room to undercut then the supermarkets will do it.

I recall buying vinyl in a French supermarket once (Mamut) back in the 1980s but I didn't ever see it in a UK equivelent.

Boots used to sell vinyl. I've still got a couple of LPs, e.g. 'Bookends', with their sticker on. They were downstairs in the Lewisham branch, IIRC.

Barry
04-09-2015, 15:33
Boots, W.H. Smith, Martins, Woolworth all sold LPs at one time or another. Happy days!

Joe
04-09-2015, 15:37
Boots, W.H. Smith, Martins, Woolworth all sold LPs at one time or another. Happy days!

Woolworths used to sell those 'Embassy' singles, which were cover versions slightly cheaper than the originals. Rumour had it that some 'before-they-were-famous' musicians. e.g. Elton John, performed on them. Never bought any myself, but my younger brother, who was a bit of a cheapskate, had their version of Joe Brown's 'Picture of You'.