PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a turntable

speakers-1989
27-09-2009, 12:19
Hi,

I want to try and get a turntable for my fathers bedroom system. Something that is very nice sounding to match with his Quad/kef combo.

Please PM me if you do have a good decent turntable/arm to sell. I remember my father saying to me he likes the sound of the Alphason tonearms.
(Please no Rega RB arms please)

Cheers

Shane

StanleyB
27-09-2009, 16:28
I remember my father saying to me he likes the sound of the Alphason tonearms.
Have you got deep pockets? If so, PM me with a figure you can afford. I have turned down £600 so far, so...

speakers-1989
27-09-2009, 19:28
PM sent.

DSJR
27-09-2009, 19:53
Has your Dad actually HEARD an Alphason tonearm? They don't "boogie" like an Ittok and by comparison lack "life." The cueing devices fail due to the damping fluid leaching out all over the deck-plate and the wiring as standard could be better. (All I need now is for this to be posted all over the internet and they'll be cheap enough for me to buy one :D)

Shane, your Dad would be well advised to look out for an AR EB101 for around a ton still, or a "Legend (The Turntable)" in good order with decent main bearing (not all had, but late ones from the EB101 period were excellent). The former deck has a Jelco made arm I believe, the latter deck is good enough to take any medium weight tonearm (Jelco 250?) and because the platter isn't too heavy and the belt drive so good, you don't get the slightly drunken pitch that characterises Linns and so-on by comparison with idler or the better direct drives.

Finally, to complete tonights lecture, your Dad could be VERY well advised to buy a techie, get it suited and booted and obtain a plate suitable for the Alphason arm. Once mated together, this combination will easily leap-frog your Roksan...

speakers-1989
27-09-2009, 19:58
Has your Dad actually HEARD an Alphason tonearm? They don't "boogie" like an Ittok and by comparison lack "life." The cueing devices fail due to the damping fluid leaching out all over the deck-plate and the wiring as standard could be better. (All I need now is for this to be posted all over the internet and they'll be cheap enough for me to buy one :D)

Shane, your Dad would be well advised to look out for an AR EB101 for around a ton still, or a "Legend (The Turntable)" in good order with decent main bearing (not all had, but late ones from the EB101 period were excellent). The former deck has a Jelco made arm I believe, the latter deck is good enough to take any medium weight tonearm (Jelco 250?) and because the platter isn't too heavy and the belt drive so good, you don't get the slightly drunken pitch that characterises Linns and so-on by comparison with idler or the better direct drives.

Finally, to complete tonights lecture, your Dad could be VERY well advised to buy a techie, get it suited and booted and obtain a plate suitable for the Alphason arm. Once mated together, this combination will easily leap-frog your Roksan...

Yes, he did heard an Alphason arm, infact he had one years ago. He said it could have been the HR100 or what ever you call it, and told me it was 'S' shaped.

speakers-1989
27-09-2009, 20:00
Is the AR EB101 easy to set up?

speakers-1989
27-09-2009, 21:58
I might get a Pink Triangle Export from someone for a decent price. It's in very nice condition.

Is the PT a good turntable?