PDA

View Full Version : KIS (add an S if you are stupid)

Puffin
30-08-2015, 16:43
A few years ago I built a bridged Gainclone from scratch using the National Semiconductor schematic. I suppose I was so pleased (and so clever:D) that it worked that I put the lid on and away I went. I used it on an off and the last time I used it I had an intermittent problem with the right channel and so it was consigned to gather dust. Having recently built one of the amps that Firebottle liked I thought I ought to have a look at it and see what the problem was.

It seems that the R scrap heap RCA socket I used had a problem and so it was a pretty easy fix. I wired it up to my old Wharfedale Diamonds that are used as test speakers, MP3 player and left it running. After a couple of hours I checked that all was ok and sat and had a listen. Speakers about a foot off the floor in front of my main rig.

I bought Amy Winehouse's Frank album from Poundland recently. It is a "made for Radio mix" IMO and some tracks make me wince. However it sounded fantastic throttled by MP3 suppression and through this oh so simple system.

No where near as good as what I normally use, but hey it made music, I had a beer and it made me happy. Job Done:D