PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Head TX4 MC step up transformer

Colin151
28-08-2015, 21:54
I'm looking for a Head TX4 MC step up transformer. I'd pay good money for one of these, if anyone has one?

struth
28-08-2015, 22:09
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Head-TX4-Tim-de-Paravicini-MC-Step-Up-Transformer-/331629484785?hash=item4d36a85af1

montesquieu
28-08-2015, 22:34
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Head-TX4-Tim-de-Paravicini-MC-Step-Up-Transformer-/331629484785?hash=item4d36a85af1

£1200? Seriously? I sold one 4-5 years ago for £400.

For that you could get a pair of Hashimoto HM7s over from Japan, get them beautifully cased up / silver wired and still save several hundred quid. And get a better result. (Paravicini's trannies are good but there are better around).

struth
28-08-2015, 22:43
When things get rare and wanted the price goes up with some folk.

Colin151
28-08-2015, 23:00
When things get rare and wanted the price goes up with some folk.

Yeah thanks, I've already seen this. The guy is trying it on, advertising it to rich Germans. I contacted him yesterday and he said take 1000 euros but it's still too much IMO. They even turn up cheaper on Audiogon. Would rather be patient than pay through the nose.

I bought a TX4 5 years ago for only £120 on eBay - then stupidly sold it a little later when I was broke. Also saw one go for about £250 on this very forum a couple of years ago. I expect to pay more, but not 1000 euros... Might as well go for Hashimoto Hm7 or similar at that kind of price

If I can't find one I might look for a Denon HA500 MC headamp instead, though they seem pretty rare here too... Loads turn u on yahoo japan or on eBay USA but they are 100/110 v units

Colin151
28-08-2015, 23:06
Ahh I see Tom mentioned the HM7s too. Certainly likely sound to be a better sounding option. Heard from a few people in the know that those trannies are top notch.

montesquieu
28-08-2015, 23:09
Ahh I see Tom mentioned the HM7s too. Certainly likely sound to be a better sounding option. Heard from a few people in the know that those trannies are top notch.

I went from a Kondo-era Audio Note S6c to the Hashimotos with no loss in quality. It was after I hearing MartinT's Hashimotos that I sold the Audio Note.

Colin151
28-08-2015, 23:22
I went from a Kondo-era Audio Note S6c to the Hashimotos with no loss in quality. It was after I hearing MartinT's Hashimotos that I sold the Audio Note.
Thanks for the tip. Will bear it in mind and hold out for a cheaper TX4.

Colin151
28-08-2015, 23:27
Anyone have any experience with Dave Slagle MC step ups too? I heard those were also very good. Not sure if they are still made though.

I thought Slagle only made autoformer attenuators but apparently not.

Spectral Morn
29-08-2015, 06:52
I have one, make me an offer I can't refuse and I might sell it. Yes I saw the ones sell on here awhile back and I thought they were way too cheap but such is life. I said nothing at the time because technically it would have been thread crapping.

For my own view I think this is a wonderful step up, among the best I have ever tried but I haven't tried any modern ones.

Regards Neil

Colin151
29-08-2015, 09:39
I have one, make me an offer I can't refuse and I might sell it. Yes I saw the ones sell on here awhile back and I thought they were way too cheap but such is life. I said nothing at the time because technically it would have been thread crapping.

For my own view I think this is a wonderful step up, among the best I have ever tried but I haven't tried any modern ones.

Regards Neil

Hi Neil
Thanks for posting. Sounds good but Andy ("Wiicrackpot") pmed me. He has one he would sell for £400 in slightly rough cosmetic condition (which I don't care about). Sounds pretty good so I think I'll go for that one.

Whilst not the best step up out there it's a great step up (and pretty flexible with the 3 different primary inputs/gain settings). Always regretted selling my first one, especially when I got it so cheap.. Will be great having one again.

Cheers,
Colin

twotone
29-08-2015, 10:54
Hi Colin, I had Andy's one on loan and it was very very good however my Fidelity Research FRT-3 really wasn't much far behind it sound-wise but I suppose it depends on the cartridge, I was using a Denon 103.

Tony

Spectral Morn
29-08-2015, 11:16
Hi Neil
Thanks for posting. Sounds good but Andy ("Wiicrackpot") pmed me. He has one he would sell for £400 in slightly rough cosmetic condition (which I don't care about). Sounds pretty good so I think I'll go for that one.

Whilst not the best step up out there it's a great step up (and pretty flexible with the 3 different primary inputs/gain settings). Always regretted selling my first one, especially when I got it so cheap.. Will be great having one again.

Cheers,
Colin

No worries, it would have had to be a better offer than that to get it, as its one of the items I have I always said would be only got by prising from my cold dead hands - I think it that good.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
29-08-2015, 11:25
Quite enjoying playing with my Luxman, Osawa, Fidelity Research and Art Audio SUTs. :D

(must thin them down eventually I suppose, but they're each pretty damn good)

Colin151
29-08-2015, 11:33
Hi Colin, I had Andy's one on loan and it was very very good however my Fidelity Research FRT-3 really wasn't much far behind it sound-wise but I suppose it depends on the cartridge, I was using a Denon 103.

Tony

Yeah it's all about cartridge matching. The TX4 is handy is it has 3 gain settings, I think the three are 20, 26 and 32 dB gain, (1:10, 1:20 and (possibly) 1:30 ratios) so quite a wide range of cartridge compatibility. You can also play around with resistor or zobel damping on the secondaries with a pair of Audioquest RCA splitters and some resistors soldered onto RCA onto plugs. I guess the only carts it isn't suitable for are the Audio Note MC or some older Ortofons with 0.05 mV output and 1 ohm impedance (as you need 1:40 ratio for those -Hashimoto HM 7 would be better as the switchable ratio is either 1:20 or 1:40), but I'm not too likely to buy one of those carts soon....

The frt3 looks v nice. Good price too. Hope you can sell soon.

Colin151
29-08-2015, 11:41
No worries, it would have had to be a better offer than that to get it, as its one of the items I have I always said would be only got by prising from my cold dead hands - I think it that good.

Regards Neil

Yeah it's a good step up. I had a Denon DL304 before and other cheaper step ups I used sounded terrible with it (used some Sowters and some coral ones) as there was ringing. Had to use resistors or a zobel to damp the ringing. The TX4 however had no probs with the 304. No ringing in the slightest.

What did you upgrade to?

Colin151
29-08-2015, 11:42
Quite enjoying playing with my Luxman, Osawa, Fidelity Research and Art Audio SUTs. :D

(must thin them down eventually I suppose, but they're each pretty damn good)

Wow you have a lot of SUTs! Which one is you fav or does it just depend on the cart?

walpurgis
29-08-2015, 11:59
Wow you have a lot of SUTs! Which one is you fav or does it just depend on the cart?

It's hard to pick a favourite. They are each good. I suspect the Luxman AD8000 (8020) is the best, but it's very hard to separate it from the Osawa OS-100T. The Art Audio comes so close too and is I suspect the quietest and possibly most neutral of all of them.

The FRT-3 seems to sound better as the cartridges do. It does a fine job with the 103 and 103R, but with the Technics EPC-305MC, Ortofon MC25FL and various ZXYs it really came to life. It has a vibrant musicality to it.

Transparency, which is what I really demand from all my equipment, is just fine with all these SUTs. Tonality and neutrality, although important are less critical in my book.

I've had quite a few different SUTs in the past and those I have at the moment seem to get all the requirements to my liking.

(oh, and they all work fine with the DL-304. Which I sold as although it may have been refined and detailed, somehow lacked drama and presence)

wiicrackpot
29-08-2015, 16:45

Regards Neil
That was my thought too, i just saw Colin's ad before i scoot to work this morning and just felt it was time to downsize,
think my LFD MMC phonostage will follow suit now the TX4 is south bound. :(

PM'd replied Colin.

Cheers!.

Colin151
29-08-2015, 17:55
Cheers Andy,

PM sent.
That was my thought too, i just saw Colin's ad before i scoot to work this morning and just felt it was time to downsize,
think my LFD MMC phonostage will follow suit now the TX4 is south bound. :(

PM'd replied Colin.

Cheers!.

Colin151
29-08-2015, 17:59
It's hard to pick a favourite. They are each good. I suspect the Luxman AD8000 (8020) is the best, but it's very hard to separate it from the Osawa OS-100T. The Art Audio comes so close too and is I suspect the quietest and possibly most neutral of all of them.

The FRT-3 seems to sound better as the cartridges do. It does a fine job with the 103 and 103R, but with the Technics EPC-305MC, Ortofon MC25FL and various ZXYs it really came to life. It has a vibrant musicality to it.

Transparency, which is what I really demand from all my equipment, is just fine with all these SUTs. Tonality and neutrality, although important are less critical in my book.

I've had quite a few different SUTs in the past and those I have at the moment seem to get all the requirements to my liking.

(oh, and they all work fine with the DL-304. Which I sold as although it may have been refined and detailed, somehow lacked drama and presence)

Thanks for the info. The Luxman doesn't look too pricey from Yahoo Japan. Does it have one gain setting or two? Not familiar with the Osawa and I didnn't even realise that Art Audio made SUTs! How much did that one cost?

I know what you mean about the Denon DL304. Very refined and detailed (due to the low effective tip mass for an MC), but I found it a bit too thin and bright sounding, and also lacking dynamics, drama and presence. I want to try the DL-S1 too but it's likley to be quite similar to the 304 I guess. My favourite carts are probably Ortofons as I find them the best balanced, - espcaiily the older Supers like the MC20 and MC30. Shame the more recent MCs like the Rondos, Kontrpunkts and Cadenzas etc are so pricey... I could only really afford a 2M black from William Thakker for £380, and that's an MM (so no need for the TX4!)

walpurgis
29-08-2015, 18:45
Thanks for the info. The Luxman doesn't look too pricey from Yahoo Japan. Does it have one gain setting or two? Not familiar with the Osawa and I didnn't even realise that Art Audio made SUTs! How much did that one cost?

I know what you mean about the Denon DL304. Very refined and detailed (due to the low effective tip mass for an MC), but I found it a bit too thin and bright sounding, and also lacking dynamics, drama and presence. I want to try the DL-S1 too but it's likley to be quite similar to the 304 I guess. My favourite carts are probably Ortofons as I find them the best balanced, - espcaiily the older Supers like the MC20 and MC30. Shame the more recent MCs like the Rondos, Kontrpunkts and Cadenzas etc are so pricey... I could only really afford a 2M black from William Thakker for £380, and that's an MM (so no need for the TX4!)

The Luxman fetches a fair premium in the UK these days and is regarded by some as one of the very best. http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-AD8000.html

The Osawa is also superb and totally unobtainable. I bought mine over thirty years ago from the guy who had the only stock (two) in the UK. Even their excellent (Supex/Linn related) MCs are hard to find.

The Art Audio is rare and I know nothing of its spec, but it works just fine with Ortofons and Jap MCs. I think the new price was around £400 some years ago. I believe Tom (montesquieu) compared one to a few other SUTs not long ago.

I've tried many older Ortofon MCs and the 'standout' to me is the MC25FL. It may not be the best cart in the world, but it sounds great. Superb detail, depth and ambience, with a very solid, authoritative presence. Lovely. Very similar in some ways to the ZYX R50 Bloom (which I've kept, alongside three other ZYXs).

Spectral Morn
29-08-2015, 18:45
Yeah it's a good step up. I had a Denon DL304 before and other cheaper step ups I used sounded terrible with it (used some Sowters and some coral ones) as there was ringing. Had to use resistors or a zobel to damp the ringing. The TX4 however had no probs with the 304. No ringing in the slightest.

What did you upgrade to?

I went to fully active MC phonostages - Pass Labs XOno and BAT VK10Se from the valve MM stage in my Audio Innovations Series 500. I still have the S500 and kept the The Head seemed silly to sell them on - I am sentimental that way.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
29-08-2015, 22:26
Amazing what you find on the net. I was poking about googling pre-amps and this image cropped up. It's an Osawa OS-100T SUT. Just like mine? It is mine! I recognise the little ding in the front. The image hosting facility must be offering it for use.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2vw5zpk.jpg

struth
29-08-2015, 22:33
An image I gave to srm when they first started is still being used last time I looked. its my deck with the groundhogs on it playing

struth
29-08-2015, 22:48
http://biginibiza.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/SRM_Arezzo_Turntable3.jpg

interesting it has copyright srm lol. I did say they could use it for promotional purposes but I didnt give the copyright;) Still I like Stuart so its ok. in the back you can see the mirror that is still on my wall and I still have the table

on that google search I also found a pic of my thorens and a pic of my old creek pre and cambridge p500. must be linked through the srm

Spectral Morn
29-08-2015, 23:23
http://biginibiza.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/SRM_Arezzo_Turntable3.jpg

interesting it has copyright srm lol. I did say they could use it for promotional purposes but I didnt give the copyright;) Still I like Stuart so its ok. in the back you can see the mirror that is still on my wall and I still have the table

on that google search I also found a pic of my thorens and a pic of my old creek pre and cambridge p500. must be linked through the srm

I had one of mine nicked by a HiFi magazine, no real apology when I brought it up with them and the year subscription promised never happened. The image was nicked off here.

Regards Neil