PDA

View Full Version : Damascine moment.....

Spectral Morn
25-09-2009, 20:56
Hi Guys

Watching Classic Albums on BBC 4. Tonight its the first album from the Doors. Now I like the Doors, but not all of the Doors music...I thought it was good but overrated. My fave album by them is LA Woman mainly because of Riders of The Storm. However tonight I finally got what the Doors were about the talent, musicianship, craftsmanship, poetry. The sheer inventiveness and magic of what they did collectively and sadly the huge loss to music that Jim's death was....no Jim, no Doors.

I will now be seeking to listen to more Doors music.

Have you had a sudden moment when you suddenly got what a particular band or album was about ? Something that everyone else rates but you didn't, you just did not get it but then Bamb you do?

Regards D S D L

DSJR
25-09-2009, 21:01
So many songs from my childhood I knew the words to, but not their meaning...

I suppose the first was The Beatles' Rubber Soul, the different vibes, irony and raw emotion in some of the songs is awsome, even today IMO..

Spectral Morn
25-09-2009, 21:03
I have yet to get the Beatles or the Stones.....maybe someday.;)

Regards D S D L

DSJR
25-09-2009, 21:30
If you take Rubber Soul for example, on first hearing it's a *nice* collection of pop songs

(and I mean *nice* as taking a nice girl out for a nice meal in a nice restaurant - damning with faint praise if you see what I mean)

Listen to most of the tracks in isolation, you begin to get the irony (Girl, Norwegian Wood, I'm Looking Through You)and a little anger and viciousness too from John (Run For Your Life) and the beautiful and genuinely felt "In My Life," which we had played at our wedding. This latter track I knew almost backwards, but in the context of a 38 year old getting married (for the first time) and with fond and loving memories of "people and things, that went before. I know I'll often stop and think about them, (but) In my life, I love you more..." you hopefully start to "get" why I love this track so much and how much the sentiments in the song mean to me.

Another song that means loads to my wife is Queen's "These Were the Days of Our Lives," a track that now brings tears to my eyes when I hear it.

I could go on, but you know what I'm going on about

"...High vibration go on
To the sun, oh let my heart dreaming
Past a mortal as me
Where can I be?

Wish the sun to stand still
Reaching out to touch our own being
Past all mortal as we
Here we can be

Like the time I ran away
And turned around
And you were standing close to me...."

Oh gawd, I've done it now...

"...You could say you'd see me soon
but you're as silent as the moon.
You could say, "let's start again,"
but you think of other men.

And I wonder if I ever knew
the more elusive inner you,
For the buttons of your mind were difficult to find
and my fingers far too clumsy...

You're not mine any more, as we take our last walk together. Along the midnight shore, before we say good-bye...Forever..............."

Apologies for above - just a few that "clicked" in my later adult life yet the true meanings went over my head when first heard

Joe
25-09-2009, 21:35
I'm just discovering Bo Diddley, who was clearly hugely influential, but whom I'd previously regarded as a 'novelty act'.

Spectral Morn
25-09-2009, 21:57
If you take Rubber Soul for example, on first hearing it's a *nice* collection of pop songs

(and I mean *nice* as taking a nice girl out for a nice meal in a nice restaurant - damning with faint praise if you see what I mean)

Listen to most of the tracks in isolation, you begin to get the irony (Girl, Norwegian Wood, I'm Looking Through You)and a little anger and viciousness too from John (Run For Your Life) and the beautiful and genuinely felt "In My Life," which we had played at our wedding. This latter track I knew almost backwards, but in the context of a 38 year old getting married (for the first time) and with fond and loving memories of "people and things, that went before. I know I'll often stop and think about them, (but) In my life, I love you more..." you hopefully start to "get" why I love this track so much and how much the sentiments in the song mean to me.

Another song that means loads to my wife is Queen's "These Were the Days of Our Lives," a track that now brings tears to my eyes when I hear it.

I could go on, but you know what I'm going on about

"...High vibration go on
To the sun, oh let my heart dreaming
Past a mortal as me
Where can I be?

Wish the sun to stand still
Reaching out to touch our own being
Past all mortal as we
Here we can be

Like the time I ran away
And turned around
And you were standing close to me...."

Oh gawd, I've done it now...

"...You could say you'd see me soon
but you're as silent as the moon.
You could say, "let's start again,"
but you think of other men.

And I wonder if I ever knew
the more elusive inner you,
For the buttons of your mind were difficult to find
and my fingers far too clumsy...

You're not mine any more, as we take our last walk together. Along the midnight shore, before we say good-bye...Forever..............."

Apologies for above - just a few that "clicked" in my later adult life yet the true meanings went over my head when first heard

Hi Dave

Nothing wrong with a bit of Yes.

regards D S D L

aquapiranha
25-09-2009, 22:02
I really like the Doors. 'The end' is my favourite though obviously I like most of their output.

The Beatles however, well I have never liked their music if I am honest with the exception of one or two tracks. I am sure there is some kind of silly unwritten rule that says if you like music you have to like them. I think some of their music is just like that by the Monty Python team, just not as funny! YMMV etc...

The Grand Wazoo
25-09-2009, 23:12
Well, I always 'got' The Beatles, but it's only relatively recently that me & the Stones really clicked.

Of course the singles had an impact, but there (was) so much more to them than those big hits.

The Doors have always been a favourite ever since I could relate to Morisson's brand of 6th Form poetry (when I was in the 5th Form). I soon realised that he was a real ess aightch one tee, though. And that debut album is most certainly in the list of the most important lp's of the last century.

aquapiranha
25-09-2009, 23:24
Well, I always 'got' The Beatles, but it's only relatively recently that me & the Stones really clicked.

Of course the singles had an impact, but there (was) so much more to them than those big hits.

The Doors have always been a favourite ever since I could relate to Morisson's brand of 6th Form poetry (when I was in the 5th Form). I soon realised that he was a real ess aightch one tee, though. And that debut album is most certainly in the list of the most important lp's of the last century.

I know you used quotations, but I really dislike the word 'got' in that context. It implies that someone who doesn't 'get' a particular type of music, lets say jazz for the sake of argument, is somehow unable to comprehend the music, or is maybe in some way not as much of a 'music lover' because they simply do not like that type of music. I have seen this on many forums over a number of years, and nothing else conveys to me that there are those who consider themselves in some way superior to others who 'don't get' whatever band they do 'get' if you see what I mean. Snobbishness and pomposity of the highest order.

Sorry about that, I know you didn't mean it that way, or that you were implying it but it triggered something I had wanted to say for a very long time. I will get off my soap box now!

:)

The Grand Wazoo
25-09-2009, 23:39
No, I know exactly what you mean. I detest the inferrence that someone is somehow better than someone else because of their taste in music - derived from being bullied about Mozart when I was a kid.
Clicked is a better word - I used that about the Stones. I always enjoyed their music, but I never understood how someone could become obsessed by them. Now I see it (even though I'm not obsessed by them)!

However, I do freely use the word if I don't 'get' something myself. I used it recently about Bat For Lashes on this forum - I just didn't understand why anyone thought the music was outstanding - it seemed fairly run of the mill to me from what I had seen/heard. I made an effort to listen to the albums & suddenly understood. What had led me to not 'get' it was a fairly lacklustre live performance shackled to abominable BBC sound mixing.

Spectral Morn
26-09-2009, 07:27
When I was going to bed last night I went into the upstairs listening room and had a look in the small section of late 60's vinyl I have. What a surprise I have all the Doors albums on vinyl. I knew I had La Woman, but had forgot I had the rest. These are German pressings from about 15 to 20 years ago and not listened to :doh:, bar La Woman.

I have some listening to do:)

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
26-09-2009, 07:50
LA Woman is a great album, but I never got the rest of their stuff. The bio 'No One Here Gets Out Alive' is an excellent book. Highly recommended if you want to gain some insight into Morrison's complex personality :)

DSJR
26-09-2009, 08:12
yeah, get yer yaya's out, sharpen that needle and get spinning...

I hate to bring education into it again, but I think we music-lovers all have little bits of this and that floating around and it maybe takes a life event or crisis to tie a track or album down and "make the connection" in our minds. that's why music is so wonderful to the likes of "us" I think.

Joe
26-09-2009, 08:42
I bought the 'Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine' double LP compilation 35 years ago, and it's since been played almost to destruction (one side has a long streak of glue across it!). Recently I snapped up the individual Doors albums as CDs, because they were only a fiver apiece in Fopp, but sadly I couldn't really get into the new (to me) tracks. Maybe it's an age thing.

On music tastes more generally, no-one can force you to like stuff (indeed any attempt to do so will probably have the opposite effect), but it's all too easy to stay in a musical 'comfort zone', so I like to give stuff I've previously dismissed a second chance, just in case it does suddenly 'click'. Spotify and Internet radio makes this a lot easier than it used to be.

PS Can't resist adding HMHB's parody of the final lines of The End:

The teenager awoke at mid day. He walked into the back garden. Everything was peaceful except for the complaining note of the woodcrest dying in the leafy thickness. He walked up to the patio chair where his father sat.
“Father?”
“Yes son?”
“I want to borrow your golf clubs.”

aquapiranha
26-09-2009, 10:19
No, I know exactly what you mean. I detest the inferrence that someone is somehow better than someone else because of their taste in music - derived from being bullied about Mozart when I was a kid.
Clicked is a better word - I used that about the Stones. I always enjoyed their music, but I never understood how someone could become obsessed by them. Now I see it (even though I'm not obsessed by them)!

However, I do freely use the word if I don't 'get' something myself. I used it recently about Bat For Lashes on this forum - I just didn't understand why anyone thought the music was outstanding - it seemed fairly run of the mill to me from what I had seen/heard. I made an effort to listen to the albums & suddenly understood. What had led me to not 'get' it was a fairly lacklustre live performance shackled to abominable BBC sound mixing.

Chris, I am glad you did not take it personally, as it certainly was not meant to be! I recently obtained Rubber Soul and Revolver in an attempt to give the Beatles a fair crack of the whip, but alas it was not to be. I simply do not like it, nothing to do with lack of understanding!

Thanks, Steve

Macca
26-09-2009, 11:11
I grew up in south Liverpool in the '70s/'80s not far from 'John's house', 'Pauls House' etc. Strawberry fields was almost directly opposite my school.

My uncle always maintained that Richard Starkey had 'nicked' his drum kit which he had left in storage at the church hall whilst he was away in Germany on National Service!

It is weird to think these perfectly ordinary semi detached houses that I used to walk past without a second thought are now 'held in perpetuity' as shrines.

Of course growing up in the 'Pool meant saturation with the Beatles from an early age and inevitably a certain boredom with the whole thing creeps in. There is a lot of filler and self indulgence on the later albums which makes them unlistenable as complete works (IMHO) although I have to say 'In My Life' is far and away my favourite Beatles song - I do not get up to the 'Mersey Paradise' very often nowadays. When I do the lyrics of that song are almost always running through my head - so appropriate and beautiful. Perhaps nostalgia is, after all, still what it used to be...:)

Martin

Beechwoods
26-09-2009, 11:21
Music is all about likes and dislikes. No one can claim superiority simply through liking something. Making it however is a completely different ballgame :)

Damascene conversions for me include

Fish era Marillion - when a friend first tried to get me into them I just didn't get it and now I love their early stuff. In fact I went a little bonkers for a while collecting live tapes, box sets and the like.

XTC - likewise unmoveed at first then fell in love with their late 80's and 90's stuff.

DanJennings
26-09-2009, 13:57
XTC - likewise unmoveed at first then fell in love with their late 80's and 90's stuff.

Good man, their 90s/00s stuff is very underrated....

I had one of these epiphanies with Beautiful South.... I absolutely hated them, and then I saw them at a festival, actually started listening to the words etc, and now I own everything.... brilliant music.

The Grand Wazoo
14-10-2009, 09:43
Damascene moments with music:

I was driving to work today & realised I had one a few years ago with Jackson Browne. Raved about in the States by people of 'a certain age', I owned two of his albums for years - quite enjoyed them, but not really anything I'd say were must have records.

I knew the cover version of 'For a Dancer' by Clive Gregson & Christine Collister & thought it was quite good.
So when a very close friend of mine died in his early 30's I was devastated, but one day I heard the Jackson Browne version & probably wouldn't have paid much attention to it. However, because I knew it from the cover version, I listened a bit more carefully & suddenly understood what all the fuss was about.
There are some really poignant lyrics to that song - it's about the death of a friend and learning how to embrace life despite the loss of someone you never imagined would ever be lost.

Into a dancer you have grown
From a seed somebody else has thrown
Go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own
And somewhere between the time you arrive and the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive but you’ll never know

I've listened to much of his other material & was amazed to find how young he was when he wrote some of the most mature songs imaginable.
An example: 'These Days' (also covered by Nico on 'Chelsea Girl' was written when he was 16!

These days I sit in cornerstones and count the time in quarter tones to ten
Please don't confront me with my failures
I have not forgotten them

Maybe it's because I now of that 'certain age' - I don't know!

Barry
14-10-2009, 18:52
Maybe it's because I now of that 'certain age' - I don't know!

Don't even go there Chris!

I think I'm older than you, and find myself wondering if it's seemly for someone of my age to be listening to what I do. And then I think "Sod it" and stop worrying!

Regards

Themis
14-10-2009, 19:40
I had listened to ELO's "New World Record" when it came out (back in 76 or so, I think) but at that time it had no effect on me. Perhaps it sounded too simple, or something. Anyway I decided that ELO wasn't my style.

A few months ago, I listened to it again (for the first time since 76) and... I couldn't stop listening to it for about three weeks or so ! I liked ALL the songs (well, perhaps all except one), and I listened to them at least three or four times per day !!!

I'm still puzzled, wondering how on earth I could have passed by this (very popular) album.... :lolsign:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yJPBZK3nL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

DanJennings
08-11-2009, 17:48
I've just had one of these moments!

As some of you may know, I'm a rabid XTC fan, but there has always been one album that I've never cared for, and might even say I disliked... The 'Mummer' album.
Well who knows why, but I've had it for years, and occasionally played it, just to make sure that I still wasn't keen.
This however was the CD version.
Today I decided to give my vinyl copy it's first spin, (again, had it for years but it's just been sitting there) and for some reason I love it!

DSJR
09-11-2009, 14:16
I always loved Brain Salad Surgery, but playing it again after ten plus years this weekend, I really got more into what was going on and thoroughly enjoyed the process. Not quite what Neil's on about perhaps, but as I cannot buy much in the way of new music these days, it's great that I can revisit old favourites I first heard nearly forty years ago and get more out of them than ever.

King Crimson next - to see if I really NEED the deluxe multi-disc issue of In The Court of the Crimson King :lol:

Alex_UK
12-11-2009, 11:55
I think I can join the club - maybe... I've stated before that I don't "get" The Beatles - but to be fair, this is really based on a handful of 45s from their early days that my mum had (She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Can't buy me Love etc.) - I've just always thought they were just a bit safe and sickly (the Westlife of the '60s) and although the odd track has grabbed me, I've never really felt the desire to explore them more than the number 1's CD.

That said, one of my favourite tracks is "Here Comes the Sun" which was written by Harrison, who also wrote "Something" - both of which are from Abbey Road, and what with that being from the year I was born, and the fuss about the 2009 remasters, - the short version of the story being it came from Amazon this morning...

I can't remember the last time I played an album 3 times in a row, but that's what I've done - suddenly, I love a Beatles album! (In fact, I go as far to say as I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus's garden!) Loving "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" especially.

Think I will have to try a few more - the sound is stunning, too, though not having heard the original, I can't say how much better the remaster is. (Maybe I should get an original vinyl copy...)

Which one next? Hmmmm... or do I just say 'sod it' and get the remaster box set...?

DanJennings
12-11-2009, 13:14
I think I can join the club - maybe... I've stated before that I don't "get" The Beatles - but to be fair, this is really based on a handful of 45s from their early days that my mum had (She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Can't buy me Love etc.) - I've just always thought they were just a bit safe and sickly (the Westlife of the '60s) and although the odd track has grabbed me, I've never really felt the desire to explore them more than the number 1's CD.

That said, one of my favourite tracks is "Here Comes the Sun" which was written by Harrison, who also wrote "Something" - both of which are from Abbey Road, and what with that being from the year I was born, and the fuss about the 2009 remasters, - the short version of the story being it came from Amazon this morning...

I can't remember the last time I played an album 3 times in a row, but that's what I've done - suddenly, I love a Beatles album! (In fact, I go as far to say as I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus's garden!) Loving "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" especially.

Think I will have to try a few more - the sound is stunning, too, though not having heard the original, I can't say how much better the remaster is. (Maybe I should get an original vinyl copy...)

Which one next? Hmmmm... or do I just say 'sod it' and get the remaster box set...?

Good man! my favourite Beatles record! And She's So Heavy is also a standout for me. same with 'Because'

I don't know about you, but I'm not hugely keen on the early stuff, so I can't really justify shelling out on the whole box....
It's the early stuff that I find as you say 'sickly' a bit too sugary for me.
I personally recommend anything from Rubber Soul onwards (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be) especially Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver and White Album

Themis
12-11-2009, 13:18
Good man! my favourite Beatles record! And She's So Heavy is also a standout for me. same with 'Because'

I don't know about you, but I'm not hugely keen on the early stuff, so I can't really justify shelling out on the whole box....
It's the early stuff that I find as you say 'sickly' a bit too sugary for me.
I personally recommend anything from Rubber Soul onwards (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be) especially Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver and White Album
Same here : Abbey Road is my favorite album. Then Magical Mystery Tour and then Sgt Peppers. I can do without the others, but, as you say, everything from Rubber Soul onwards is good.

The Grand Wazoo
12-11-2009, 14:43
Hi Alex,
Personally, I'd be going for 'Revolver' next. It's often touted as the best album by anyone......ever.

If you can forgive them for Yellow Submarine, it's a fantastic album:

1. "Taxman"
2. "Eleanor Rigby"
3. "Love You To"
4. "Here, There and Everywhere"
5. "Yellow Submarine"
6. "She Said She Said"

1. "Good Day Sunshine"
2. "For No One"
3. "I Want to Tell You"
4. "Got to Get You into My Life"
5. "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Rubber Soul ain't no slouch either!

Personally, I'd steer clear of the White Album till last - though many wouldn't. It's like so many other so-called great double albums - would have been astounding as a single but only quite good with rare flashes of brilliance as a double.

Alex_UK
12-11-2009, 17:23
Thanks chaps - here's a funny thing, Chris - I completely forgot, but I bought a copy of The White Album from an Amazon Market Place trader a few months ago - cheap as chips, but it didn't turn up for weeks, and when it did, it was wrapped in brown paper, the address barely readable, and was plastered in Argentinian stamps! It was indeed an Argentinian CD pressing, but no idea if that is any different (sound wise) to any other! So, although not a remaster, I have that one already, and have now played CD1 but didn't play disc 2 (I was a bit Beatled out by then!) - good, but not as good as Abbey Road.

Think I will step back to Rubber Soul and work forward from there, as suggested - thanks chaps!

Macca
12-11-2009, 20:29
Hi Alex,

If you can forgive them for Yellow Submarine,

No. No I can't.:)

DSJR
12-11-2009, 20:30
You know, I'm wondering if the original LP's were made from the "best" lowest generation master tapes? They must have been played so often in the 60's, they'd be well worn by now, so I suspect that safety masters may have been used, even for the UK cuts, let alone the international ones..

I'd seriously suggest getting the stereo and mono mixes (you're all better off than me :D) and enjoy them as originally intended and also as realised by *very* careful modern mastering..

Beechwoods
25-11-2010, 11:50
Well despite my hitherto very dismissive views on the Alan Parsons Project I've found myself listening to Eye In The Sky a lot recently, based on the rather amusing opening instrumental which mandates some wry toe-tapping… to my surprise the rest of the album grew on me a lot… theres some good grooves on there and the title track is great… it's cold outside, has he'll frozen over?

Barry
25-11-2010, 18:04
Well despite my hitherto very dismissive views on the Alan Parsons Project I've found myself listening to Eye In The Sky a lot recently, based on the rather amusing opening instrumental which mandates some wry toe-tapping… to my surprise the rest of the album grew on me a lot… theres some good grooves on there and the title track is great… it's cold outside, has he'll frozen over?

I used to have 'Eye In the Sky'. Apart from one or two tracks, I found it formulaic and eventually got rid of it. Possibly a mistake - I think I may have recorded some tracks onto cassette somewhere.

Perhaps I should give it re-listen, but from memory it was the sort of stuff that audio dealers loved to play in order to 'show off' their gear to potential customers.

No, Hell hasn't frozen over, we're all allowed the occasional volte face, if not a true Damascene conversion - I know, because I've made/had several myself!

Regards

Beechwoods
25-11-2010, 19:54
It's very 'radio friendly' and I dare say formulaic; I've read that of their stuff but I've not tried any of their other releases yet. Some of the lyrics are utterly risible, but that's part of the attraction I'm sad to say! It's all a bit pumped up, and a bit fun. It's no surprise that the Chicago Bulls entered their stadium to 'Sirius' for a number of years :)

DanJennings
26-11-2010, 07:12
yeah, I must admit it's a real guilty pleasure for me too, pretty cheesy MOR stuff... but I have about 5 of his records!

John
26-11-2010, 08:51
I guess for me Stevie Ray I heard a few if his tracks on the radio and just thought typical white blues player
I was going out with a French girl called Pascale a few years latter and in the early days we traded tapes mostly as much depressing music we could throw at each other haha
Amonst all the gloom she put in a few tracks from the Sky is Crying....suddenly I got it The guy could play and he had some nice Wes Montgromery chops too

anthonyTD
26-11-2010, 09:17
Alan Parson's "The turning of a friendly card" is quite a good album!
Anthony,TD...

ourdogmax
26-11-2010, 09:29
One album I cant stop playing and has now become my favourite test record is, Caravan, In the land of grey and pink.
A truly wonderful recording.
I'm just listening to the Who, now there's a group I never really "got".
It seems funny to me that as the hi-fi improves more and more music just sounds so much better, for example, The story of the Who was so thin it was unlistenable, now it sounds full and fleshed out.
Must be the Jelco arm doing it's thing.

Sorry to drift off a bit.:rolleyes:

Beechwoods
26-11-2010, 12:24
Caravan are a fantastic band. If you like Grey And Pink you'll like 'If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You' - the album before Grey And Pink.

No guilty pleasures there - it's all completely wholesome!

ourdogmax
26-11-2010, 13:07
I'll keep an eye out for that one Nick, Cheers :stalks:

ourdogmax
26-11-2010, 13:12
By the way, I think "I Robot" is a class album.:)

DanJennings
26-11-2010, 18:41
yeah, I must admit it's a real guilty pleasure for me too, pretty cheesy MOR stuff... but I have about 5 of his records!

Alan Parson's "The turning of a friendly card" is quite a good album!
Anthony,TD...

By the way, I think "I Robot" is a class album.:)

yep, there's one, and there's another, I second both of those.

another one; Try Anything Once is a bit cheesier but has some excellent parts to it, like the Mike Oldfield-esque 'Jigue'