PDA

View Full Version : Any PureMusic users?

mikmas
26-08-2015, 00:04
Considering buying PureMusic to improve SQ from my Mac Mini 2010 but am keen to hear any views from users before I commit more than 80 squids.

... have already tried Amarra and was under impressed :zzz:

roob
26-08-2015, 08:37
Considering buying PureMusic to improve SQ from my Mac Mini 2010 but am keen to hear any views from users before I commit more than 80 squids.

... have already tried Amarra and was under impressed :zzz:
I have it but do not use it anymore you would be better off with Audirvana+.
Better SQ and cheaper to boot;)
ps I also have Amarra and JRiver and prefer Audirvana
https://audirvana.com/

PaulStewart
26-08-2015, 10:09
I have it but do not use it anymore you would be better off with Audirvana+.
Better SQ and cheaper to boot;)
ps I also have Amarra and JRiver and prefer Audirvana
https://audirvana.com/

+1 to this I've tried all of the above and Audirvana + is my weapon of choice for FBA :)

mikmas
26-08-2015, 11:51
Thanks for the tip Andrew and Paul :)

Have downloaded the trial version of Audirvana but when I open it it tells me the license has expired and I must buy the full license - not really an inspiring start. Will have a think whether a £47 gamble is worth it :(

PaulStewart
26-08-2015, 12:25
Thanks for the tip Andrew and Paul :)

Have downloaded the trial version of Audirvana but when I open it it tells me the license has expired and I must buy the full license - not really an inspiring start. Will have a think whether a £47 gamble is worth it :(

Mike, drop them an email, I found them helpful when I wanted to ask a technical question. However for me it was good sub 50 squid upgrade :)

mikmas
26-08-2015, 13:02
Mike, drop them an email, I found them helpful when I wanted to ask a technical question.

Could do Paul, however the problem is an inbuilt 'Catch 22' at their end. You can only unlock the free trial using a license that will only be emailed out when you buy the paid version. As this is just one of many things queueing up to sap my bank balance I'll hold off until I have more info re pros and cons of the various options before committing...

roob
26-08-2015, 15:18
That's strange I am on the trial version and I was given the opportunity to use the software for a two week evaluation period before paying, this is on first opening up the program.
You haven't tried it in the past by any chance?
I would email Damian and explain.

mikmas
26-08-2015, 15:43
I would email Damian and explain.

have done that following Paul's suggestion, will wait and see what they come up with. Have to say their 'Installation Instructions' don't help at all and just contain the same Catch 22 scenario. This seems to be a common problem with such small software companies - things rarely work 'out of the box' :rolleyes:

mikmas
26-08-2015, 18:43
Got a very prompt reply from Damien and he is going to sort it out; although the cause, according to him, is that I have previously had a free trial on my Mac (which is definitely not the case)

In the meantime I have downloaded a trial of PureMusic and will give that a whirl too ....

roob
26-08-2015, 20:21
Try running A+ in playlist mode it sounds slightly better than iTunes mode.

mikmas
26-08-2015, 20:50
Try running A+ in playlist mode it sounds slightly better than iTunes mode.

Will do, although at the moment Damien is still trying to work out why it won't open for me - there appears to be a real problem :scratch:

mikmas
27-08-2015, 00:59
Finally a result .....
After some email exchanges and forwarding of system information this evening Damien sorted out the license issue and I am up and running.

Initial impressions using headphones - a distinct improvement over the iTunes playback; cleaner and with much better separation. Playback through toslink/Q-DAC is now on a par with my Pi/IQAudio combo (in fact a little better...). Using the Audirvarna interface rather than integrated - less flashy and missing some album art but otherwise perfectly usable ....

Will play with some of the tweaks tomorrow and see how it fares with speakers but looks like a keeper - my thanks to Andrew and Paul for the heads up and advice on this :)

roob
27-08-2015, 08:29
Running A+ on a MBP into my Sabre dac via async usb with integer mode on, sq is better than my Pi & Moode player into the same dac imho.

mikmas
03-09-2015, 23:53
Running A+ on a MBP into my Sabre dac via async usb with integer mode on, sq is better than my Pi & Moode player into the same dac imho.

....been running Audivarna for a week now and have to say that after adding a better toslink cable (also thanks to Paul's advice) the combo has kicked my Pi into touch ... also less hassle, so that's all good :)