PDA

View Full Version : Sony - Back to the future

Jimbo
23-08-2015, 13:28
Popped into a Sony Centre yesterday to have a quick look at the latest TV,s which are always very impressive from SONY.

As I was looking round the shop I noticed they had all their Hi Rez players there so I started playing with them as you do :)

Very nice ergonomics and the future of all things digital.;)

I was approached by one of the staff who was very knowledgable and courteous and he took me through its capabilities, Internal HD, ripped CD and 24 bit capabilities etc. I had a very pleasant chat and towards the end I told him I only had a vinyl set up and my girlfriend still uses a SONY music centre form 1976.

His reply was, " we play stuff out the back of the shop with equipment from 1970". :lol:

Firebottle
23-08-2015, 13:54
His reply was, " we play stuff out the back of the shop with equipment from 1970". :lol:

Brilliant :eyebrows:

Barry
23-08-2015, 14:31
In my time I've had three pieces of Sony gear: two '90s vintage CD players and a cassette deck (my first) bought in the early '80s.

All were very well built, possessed high sound quality and, most importantly, were reliable and never gave me any trouble. Many think Sony overpriced and poor value for money (a bit like B&O) - I don't. :)

Macca
23-08-2015, 14:35
I am also a Sony fan, both new and old. Does what it says on the tin and you can usually expect a long working lifespan. I've not been in a Sony centre for many years but their prices used to be outrageous. If you bought last year's model from some discount place like Hyperfi you could get the top of the range for what the Sony centre was asking for the latest entry level item.

Barry
23-08-2015, 14:43
I am also a Sony fan, both new and old. Does what it says on the tin and you can usually expect a long working lifespan. I've not been in a Sony centre for many years but their prices used to be outrageous. If you bought last year's model from some discount place like Hyperfi you could get the top of the range for what the Sony centre was asking for the latest entry level item.

I didn't buy any of my Sony gear from the Sony Centre, but would agree with you that they probably charge top whack. We used to have a large Sony Centre in Chelmsford, occupying three shop 'footprints'. It closed down a few years ago and moved to a far smaller site within the same shopping precinct!

Jimbo
24-08-2015, 11:58
HiFi is such a small component of their sales in these shops as it seems to be dominated by AV and TV,s.

Their Cameras are certainly now up there with the very best especially their small mirrorless 35mm cameras. Pricey but superbly built and will compete with top SLR,s now.

Oh yes they did indeed have a belt drive TT on show but not sure if it was up to much, probably there to get the kids started on vinyl which is not a bad thing:)

DSJR
24-08-2015, 12:21
When Sony did it right, it's my opinion they were at the very top of the tree. The UK barely took much of their proper Hifi stuff sadly, especially from the late 70's onwards, but the US and I believe Germany, were a huge market for them.

Rush2112
24-08-2015, 15:48
Had the very first Walkman which gave Stirling service for many years although battery life was very short even with the add on battery pack strapped to your belt ! The only other Sony products were TV''s the first a 24" Trinitron a wedding present in the early 80's very reliable but no remote control ! The second a late 80's widescreen model had great picture but was not realisable and only lasted into the mid 90's before going bang !

struth
24-08-2015, 15:54
Popped into a Sony Centre yesterday to have a quick look at the latest TV,s which are always very impressive from SONY.

As I was looking round the shop I noticed they had all their Hi Rez players there so I started playing with them as you do :)

Very nice ergonomics and the future of all things digital.;)

I was approached by one of the staff who was very knowledgable and courteous and he took me through its capabilities, Internal HD, ripped CD and 24 bit capabilities etc. I had a very pleasant chat and towards the end I told him I only had a vinyl set up and my girlfriend still uses a SONY music centre form 1976.

My dad had amid 70s sony music centre. cassette radio and tt if memory serves... he broke the lid on day when he fell off a ladder onto it... damn thi!g never missed a beat though a!d it was heavy.

Jimbo
24-08-2015, 19:28
My dad had amid 70s sony music centre. cassette radio and tt if memory serves... he broke the lid on day when he fell off a ladder onto it... damn thi!g never missed a beat though a!d it was heavy.

Our Sony music centre with Garrard SP25 MKIV now has an Audio Technica At95 cartridge and is still going strong.

It is still with original speakers and sounds very good indeed. Listening to old vinyl sounds just right on this system, OK not audiophile equipment but still far better than any Amstrad tower system with a cheap CD:lol:

sparrow
25-08-2015, 21:59
I still like Sony gear. But a year or so back I asked about a stand alone cd player and was told they dont stock and couldn't supply any although at the time there were two models still in production.

struth
25-08-2015, 22:19
I still like Sony gear. But a year or so back I asked about a stand alone cd player and was told they dont stock and couldn't supply any although at the time there were two models still in production.

Ive only been in one Sony centre and found the staff to be fairly poor. no real pride in the equipment, and no great service either which was a shame as I wanted to have a chat about buying a tv. All i got was , "Thats the Price; if you want one just come up to the counter" It was in Livingston shopping centre as well, so i went elsewhere. Richer Sounds in Cambers St, Edinburgh. Great service and better prices too.

Macca
26-08-2015, 12:46
Ive only been in one Sony centre and found the staff to be fairly poor. no real pride in the equipment, and no great service either which was a shame as I wanted to have a chat about buying a tv. All i got was , "Thats the Price; if you want one just come up to the counter" It was in Livingston shopping centre as well, so i went elsewhere. Richer Sounds in Cambers St, Edinburgh. Great service and better prices too.

Retail sales. It's always been the same, except for Richer Sound who do at least seem to have some idea of how to do it.

Thing is Sony will eventually close their Sony Centre and blame it on 'The Economy' instead of their lazy staff and clueless managers.

Eagle owl
31-08-2015, 06:47
My first Sony product was a Walkman Professional WM-D6C which I bought new and still have but never use. I also have a Sony CD player connected to a DAC and a new Sony smart TV which I bought in March this year.