PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Manchester.

Weekender
22-08-2015, 17:06
Hello,

My name is Steve and I live in Manchester.

walpurgis
22-08-2015, 17:12
Hello Steve. Welcome to AOS.

You've not told us a lot. :)

What music do you listen to and what Hi-Fi system do you have?

There are sections here covering every aspect of Hi-Fi, so you should find plenty to interest you.

If you have any equipment changes in mind we'd like to hear about them

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Weekender
22-08-2015, 17:23
Hello Walpurgis.
I have updated my post...unfortunately not hi-fi/music-related. Maybe later.
Steve.

Marco
22-08-2015, 18:51
Hi Steve,

Welcome to AoS. This area of the forum is strictly for new members joining, telling us a little about themselves, the system that they use and what music they like. Therefore, if you wish to be part of this community and contribute here, then you must fulfil that requirement properly first, before doing anything else.

In that respect, on your next visit, please carry out the above, after which you will be allowed to air your grievance against Jez, in the appropriate area (Abstract Chat), where in turn he can respond. In the meantime, I have temporarily removed your remarks, so that you can post a proper introduction.

Once done, you can start a new thread in Abstract Chat about your phono stage. I would stress however, that if you've joined here simply to further your dispute with Jez, and have no intention of using the forum for any other purpose, then your time here could be limited, as AoS does not exist to facilitate the furthering of disputes that have taken place on other forums.

The only reason why I'm allowing it on this occasion, is to let both of you have your fair say, which if the dialogue between you is managed correctly (and trust me it will be), a mutually acceptable resolution to this problem may be possible.

The ball is now in your court, so tell us about your system and music tastes, and we'll take things from there :)

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
22-08-2015, 19:52
Weekender has just posted on pfm that he intends to join here to further his argument with me and cause damage to my reputation.
I will not be debating this with him here and any/all replies from me to him will be so expletive laden as to be quickly removed anyway.

Marco
22-08-2015, 20:17
That's your choice, Jez. However, rest assured that Steve will *not* be allowed simply to further the dispute or bad-mouth you [damage your reputation], but if he takes the opportunity, once properly fulfilling his obligations as a new member, simply to state his case and outline his grievance, which you can respond to and defend.

However, if any such dialogue is to take place, then it must be a respectful two-way exchange between two sensible adults.

Any evidence of it turning into a slagging match, and it will quickly be stopped. Also, if your intention is simply to respond to Steve with invective, and he remains polite, then I have to warn you that his posts will stand and *yours* will be removed, thus leaving Steve presenting only his side of the story, which will not be in your best interests.

My position here is that I would like both of you to resolve this matter, amicably, to your MUTUAL satisfaction, which is why I'm giving you both the opportunity to do that. I have no 'side' in the dispute, so I would ask both of you to act responsibly (and also you, Jez, professionally, in your status as a sole-trader). Remember that you're representing Arkless Electronics, so your behaviour now will reflect directly, either positively or negatively on the reputation of your businesss.

See this is an opportunity to show your prospective customers that you can handle yourself with dignity and professionalism, and I assure you that it will do your business in future a great deal of good :)

Marco.

Weekender
16-10-2015, 10:04
Hello again,

I am originally from the North East but have lived in Manchester since college in 1985. I was a Smiths fan but always had an interest in dance music. Hence I found myself at the Hacienda regularly and later the Electric Chair.
Gig highlights would include The Smiths at Newcastle Mayfair, Johnny Cash at Glastonbury 94, Jeff Buckley at the Uni MDH and Lou Reed at the Palace.
My favourite LPs would include Van's Astral Weeks and Marvin's What's Goin On. Latterly (over 10 years old!) something like Alphabetical by Phoenix. Oh and The English Riviera by Metronomy...
My system is bog standard and all second-hand apart from speakers and streamer : LP12/Ittok LVIII/Naim 250/Hicap/72, PMC FB1i and Cambridge Audio CXN.

Pieoftheday
16-10-2015, 19:02
Weekender, any reference to flowered up?:)

Weekender
17-10-2015, 14:30
It is. :)

Marco
17-10-2015, 14:37
Flowered up. Was ist das? :scratch:

Marco.

Marco
17-10-2015, 14:41
S'ok, I found it. It's this tuneless pish:

Nq3O6LlLjlc

:eyebrows: :eek:

Marco.

Pieoftheday
17-10-2015, 19:18
S'ok, I found it. It's this tuneless pish:

Nq3O6LlLjlc

:eyebrows: :eek:

Marco.

Whaaaat!!! :eek: I love that record and their only album,my 90s soundtrack, I believe both brothers have sadly passed away now

Marco
17-10-2015, 20:44
Lol - soz, each to their own, but 90s music largely passed me by... Just not my era or type of music. I'm an 80s boy! ;)

Marco.

struth
17-10-2015, 20:49
I pretty much wrote off the 80's. thought it the worst decade of music since Pachelbel's "Canon" was published in the 1690's;)

Marco
17-10-2015, 20:53
Nah, there was some great stuff in amongst all the bollocks one hit wonders! In the early 90s I was too busy getting married, and then working my ass off building up my business..... Consequently, music around that time just didn't really sink in.

Marco.

walpurgis
17-10-2015, 21:06
I pretty much wrote off the 80's. thought it the worst decade of music since Pachelbel's "Canon" was published in the 1690's;)

The 80s were pretty dire all round. What with the shite politics from Maggie's lot and the dreadful clothing fashions. Most of the cars were crap too.

jasonC
17-10-2015, 21:13
Hello again,

I am originally from the North East but have lived in Manchester since college in 1985. I was a Smiths fan but always had an interest in dance music. Hence I found myself at the Hacienda regularly and later the Electric Chair.
Gig highlights would include The Smiths at Newcastle Mayfair, Johnny Cash at Glastonbury 94, Jeff Buckley at the Uni MDH and Lou Reed at the Palace.
My favourite LPs would include Van's Astral Weeks and Marvin's What's Goin On. Latterly (over 10 years old!) something like Alphabetical by Phoenix. Oh and The English Riviera by Metronomy...
My system is bog standard and all second-hand apart from speakers and streamer : LP12/Ittok LVIII/Naim 250/Hicap/72, PMC FB1i and Cambridge Audio CXN.

Your saw Jeff Buckley, i'm jealous. :)

Marco
18-10-2015, 08:39
The 80s were pretty dire all round. What with the shite politics from Maggie's lot and the dreadful clothing fashions. Most of the cars were crap too.

I agree with all that, but the era that your teens and school days falls within is always special for a whole variety of reasons, none of which are included above! ;)

It's the happy memories and brilliant times I had back then, in my youth, which make that era special. For you, in that respect, it would probably be the 60s or 70s....

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-10-2015, 12:12
Welcome to AoS

Regards Neil

Pieoftheday
18-10-2015, 17:52
Lol - soz, each to their own, but 90s music largely passed me by... Just not my era or type of music. I'm an 80s boy! ;)

Marco.

nowt wrong wi 80s! a lot of todays stuff is passing me by, xfactor type drivell spouting from the radio at work, yaaawn. am i just getting old and grumpy/ grumpy-er:zzz:

walpurgis
18-10-2015, 19:24
nowt wrong wi 80s! a lot of todays stuff is passing me by, xfactor type drivell spouting from the radio at work, yaaawn. am i just getting old and grumpy/ grumpy-er:zzz:

Definitely grumpier James. We didn't want to say anything, but we noticed. :lol:

Pieoftheday
18-10-2015, 20:00
Definitely grumpier James. We didn't want to say anything, but we noticed. :lol:

I know......, doing sober for october aint helping!!

HackneyRF
18-10-2015, 21:01
80's music viewed from a mainstream perspective was pretty dire, however away from it there was a lot of other interesting stuff going on with a very vibrant independent music scene. As seen here on this BBC4 programme that just finished at the weekend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06f17bk/music-for-misfits-the-story-of-indie-1-the-diy-movement

HackneyRF
18-10-2015, 21:04
Sorry I forgot my good manners there!

Welcome to The Art of Sound Steve. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Cheers

Loz

Weekender
23-10-2015, 13:36
Your saw Jeff Buckley, i'm jealous. :)He was amazing. ;) A huge loss.

Some strong sentiments in the Flowered Up lyrics...not something I've listened to for donkeys mind.

Thanks for the welcome all.