PDA

View Full Version : wanted: croft series 7R monoblocks

Wakefield Turntables
21-08-2015, 19:02
Just fancy a pair. If you've got some to sell I'd like to maybe buy them. ;)

Jimbo
21-08-2015, 19:35
Just fancy a pair. If you've got some to sell I'd like to maybe buy them. ;)

Are you hooking up the Tannoys to them Andy? Just asking as I think Glenn has modified the Croft Series 7 in the past to run Tannoys with a lower output.

The Black Adder
21-08-2015, 19:51
Yep, he made my 7R to suite Tannoy's :)

Wakefield Turntables
21-08-2015, 19:54
Yep for the Tannoys, I cant make my mind up which monoblocks I'd ultimately like to use with them. I've always fancied some really powerful valve monoblocks, but the croft's seem a good stop gap until I can make my mind up.

worrasf
22-08-2015, 08:06
Although not for sale I have a pair of 7R monoblocks (and a 25R) and I am utterly delighted with them. Like me you're geographically close to Glenn in Scarborough - bet he'd let you trial a pair.
Steve

DSJR
22-08-2015, 08:12
No, what you do is save hard, go to a Croft dealer and BUY a pair from THEM!!!!

Glenn's a manufacturer, he has elected to have a small number of dealers selling his wares for him. These dealers are friends and work bloody hard on his behalf. Why try to short-circuit this arrangement?

Audio Al
22-08-2015, 08:59
Albarry 608 or 1108 ?

worrasf
22-08-2015, 09:17
No, what you do is save hard, go to a Croft dealer and BUY a pair from THEM!!!!

Glenn's a manufacturer, he has elected to have a small number of dealers selling his wares for him. These dealers are friends and work bloody hard on his behalf. Why try to short-circuit this arrangement?

Because I doubt the dealers would have a pair of mono blocks tailored to his Tannoys. When I wanted to get my Croft valve headamp upgraded a dealer could not do this but Glenn can and did and made me a bespoke PSU as well as upgrading the headamp components.

Agree - if you want a stock Croft and know what you want then yes, go to the dealer but for "specials" Glenn has to be the go 2 guy IMO

The Black Adder
22-08-2015, 09:31
Well, regardless. Andrew could go for new ones or he could (as this thread is intended to be) search for some 7R mono's to have tuned to his Tannoy's. Or find some standard mono's and have Glenn upgrade them to the 7R/Tannoy spec.

Either way he will get what he wants for his stop gap.

Another option could be my old Quad II's that were uprated by Glenn to include full valve regulation and use KT88's. I had him change a few things so they now use the most up to date circuit. Audioflair have them for sale at the moment. Utterly superb and a great match.

Just a thought.

Wakefield Turntables
22-08-2015, 10:07
I may be sorted, I'm just discussing a price.

hifi_dave
22-08-2015, 10:12
If you are not sorted, it's worth asking your friendly, AOS Croft dealer..:rolleyes:

The Black Adder
22-08-2015, 10:17
I may be sorted, I'm just discussing a price.

Good-oh :)

Wakefield Turntables
22-08-2015, 10:37
If you are not sorted, it's worth asking your friendly, AOS Croft dealer..:rolleyes:

No disrepect Dave but I'll be getting the 7Rs at a discount price, I wouldn't expect you to sell me a pair at a knockdown price.

DSJR
22-08-2015, 10:40
Because I doubt the dealers would have a pair of mono blocks tailored to his Tannoys. When I wanted to get my Croft valve headamp upgraded a dealer could not do this but Glenn can and did and made me a bespoke PSU as well as upgrading the headamp components.

Agree - if you want a stock Croft and know what you want then yes, go to the dealer but for "specials" Glenn has to be the go 2 guy IMO

Steve and co, sorry about my tart reply back there, but Glenn really shouldn't get too involved with specials for customers, IF he continues with a dealer base. He's undermining his dealers through the back door and 'specials' will make things very confusing after a few months or years when they find their way to the used market as these things do.

What's so special about bleedin' Tannoys anyway? Are the amps too high in gain or something?

I know and I apologise. AOS type members are a tiny minority compared to the few audio people out there who still buy this kind of stuff, but while Glenn sells through dealers, then amps should be modified via them, rather than straight to Glenn in my opinion. may as well not have dealers at all in that case. Do you see where I am with this, or am I going off on one yet again :rolleyes:?

Anyway, Albarry's are better, but frighteningly more expensive sadly - and that's because of one of the dealers :steam:

Discount price? You obviously didn't ask one of 'our own' then, did ya? One of 'our own' who gives loads of FREE advice on this forum, free and for nothing, so that you lot can scour the second hand sites for bargains - grrr!

Just ask :)

P.S. I'm sorry chaps. I want summat for as little as possible too, but that's just not how the world really goes round methinks. Doing away with dealers, selling direct and making up for this with bake-offs may be one way of dealing with it, but there's no expertise and experience doing it this way, just great days out with fellow enthusiasts.

Wakefield Turntables
22-08-2015, 10:46
What's so special about bleedin' Tannoys anyway? Are the amps too high in gain or something?

Discount price? You obviously didn't ask one of 'our own' then, did ya?

There is nothing SPECIAL about tannoy speakers, I fancied trying something different. I didn't ask for a discount because firstly I don't ever expect to get one, and scondly I'm too polite to ask. ANY PROBLEMS WITH THAT?

DSJR
22-08-2015, 10:50
YES!!!!! :lol:

I'm reacting to the 'tuned to the Tannoys' bit. If the amps are new, you have a Croft dealer of thirty years or more right here on AOS. if they're used, then I profusely apologise for ranting off...

Hang on a minute though - Do you still use the Micro BASIC? if so, this MUST be changed to a 25 or 25R please, as the mono's will reproduce the upgrades more than a standard '7' would - I speak from first hand experience here Andrew...

The Black Adder
22-08-2015, 12:29
That's enough now, chaps.

Andrew is now sorted which is what this thread was all about.

Thanks
Jo

Wakefield Turntables
22-08-2015, 14:04
That's enough now, chaps.

Jo

No it's not. We still have some areas to cover. But thanks anyway Jo.

YES!!!!! :lol:

I'm reacting to the 'tuned to the Tannoys' bit. If the amps are new, you have a Croft dealer of thirty years or more right here on AOS. if they're used, then I profusely apologise for ranting off...

Hang on a minute though - Do you still use the Micro BASIC? if so, this MUST be changed to a 25 or 25R please, as the mono's will reproduce the upgrades more than a standard '7' would - I speak from first hand experience here Andrew...

Yes I have the Micro Basic, my next advert was going to be for a 25R as they seem to come up occasionally. I'm not in any rush to use the 7R monoblocks as I have a perfectly good Radford setup and would be more than happy to wait around for a pre-amp. I've never heard of having anything "tuned" by Glenn and would be more than willing to have them modded to suit MY needs. My speakers are tuned to my room as is the XO I use, so why not get some complimentary monoblocks as well? I'm more than happy to speak to Dave at Radlett Audio and perhaps he could do me an excellent deal, but so far have heard nothing from him, so what am I supposed to do?

hifi_dave
22-08-2015, 14:24
It's been a busy day but now replied.

DSJR
22-08-2015, 14:28
Apologies for being a bit snarky earlier. yep, the Series 7R monos are lovely things - hope you like them. The differences in preamp are not obvious as in a bigger amp giving more welly for example, but I found the improvement sort of creeps up on you over an hour or so and when you go back, it's then obvious..

Enjoy:)

Wakefield Turntables
22-08-2015, 14:38
It's been a busy day but now replied.

Dave (number 1), replied.

Apologies for being a bit snarky earlier. yep, the Series 7R monos are lovely things - hope you like them. The differences in preamp are not obvious as in a bigger amp giving more welly for example, but I found the improvement sort of creeps up on you over an hour or so and when you go back, it's then obvious..

Enjoy:)

Dave (number 2), no worries, it's only hifi!

stevied
22-08-2015, 19:53
Croft amps are superb,I did own one once

only complaint they run out of steam!