PDA

View Full Version : eBay end listing early fee ... !!! ??

jandl100
21-08-2015, 06:16
Blimey! :(

I've just had my monthly ebay invoice thru and it was a bit higher than I expected, so I investigated and saw this line item ...

End auction-style listings early fee £49.98

I had a DAC on auction with a bid of £500 on it. The bidder offered an amount a bit higher by eBay Message so I ended that auction and listed the item as a Buy It Now, which he accepted.

And I am now being charged the 10% sellers fee on the original auction as well as the 10% fee on the BIN. :doh:

Is this right and according to the rules? :scratch:

___

edit:

I see from the rules ... "a final value fee may still be charged based on the final item price when the auction was ended. "

I shall be calling their helpline at 8am prompt!!

mikeyb
21-08-2015, 06:30
Hi,

You possibly ended the first auction and put down wrong reason for ending it, I've not used eBay to sell in years but it used to be that unless you specified it was ending due to an error in listing or similar then eBay would consider it had sold at £500, hence the fees for that one, the second set of fees would be correct as you then 'sold' it again.

As far as eBay were concerned you sold two of them.

I could be completely wrong of course as l like I say I've not sold on eBay for years as I think it's full of rogues and scammers, and as for the combined fees of eBay and PayPal !!

Mike.

mikeyb
21-08-2015, 06:36
Hi,

Just a thought, did you cancel the bid that was on the original listing before ending?

Mike.

jandl100
21-08-2015, 06:45
Hi,

Just a thought, did you cancel the bid that was on the original listing before ending?

Mike.

No. That's part of what the ending of the listing is supposed to do, according to the blurb presented when you do it.

I'll be calling the ebay helpline in 15 minutes!

Michael loves music
21-08-2015, 06:51
My nad 3020e amp is on there at the moment lots of interest been offered £60 in a private message but I'm letting auction run !

mikeyb
21-08-2015, 06:51
Hi,

Fingers crossed, at least they should be able to see it was same bidder on both which logically should help prove that you only sold it once.

However you ARE dealing with eBay which is always tricky.

Hopefully by the time I get back from the beach later this afternoon all will be resolved.

Mike.

jandl100
21-08-2015, 07:17
Well, I've had a 13 minute chat with the ebay helpline.

Initially he said the £49.98 amount was a valid charge for ending the auction.
I stepped up my initially polite tone, to a moderate degree of angry outrage and he said 'hold the line for a minute, please'.
When he came back on he agreed to remove the charge from the bill.

We'll see what ensues - but I'll believe it when it happens!

Audio Al
21-08-2015, 09:02
Lots of other ebay users are ending early and arranging a private sale avoiding the final valuation fee , so ebay are adding the charges

Same as sellers who were selling items worth 10.99 for 99p plus £10 postage , thats why they now add final valuations on postage

jandl100
21-08-2015, 09:45
Lots of other ebay users are ending early and arranging a private sale avoiding the final valuation fee , so ebay are adding the charges

Same as sellers who were selling items worth 10.99 for 99p plus £10 postage , thats why they now add final valuations on postage

Aye, true enough.

I noticed that they are now taking seller fees on postage. :doh: You'd think they could have a fairer system than that, though.

There must be the occasional honest person like me who is treated unfairly by their rules? :scratch:

I must admit, I used to use eBay a lot for sales - but now only for stuff that refuses to shift on the forums.

struth
21-08-2015, 09:51
Unless you are a power seller it is getting to the point that it is not worth the trouble. I have not sold much in last few years tbh and nothing since my arcam amp which i thought i may have had trouble with as it was i think bought by an agent for a chinese guy who tried to get me to send it to him in China even though the ad said uk only. a guy then signed up from london with a chinese name and instantly bought it. I had accepted b4 i realised but i never heard anything else. the amountvebay and paypal took put me off doing it again

killie99
21-08-2015, 15:46
My tactic for getting around their ridiculous final value fees for cancelling auctions is instead of cancelling the auction change the price to a huge price so that no one buys it and the auction just runs to the end and there are no charges. Give them a year or 2 and they'll start charging a final fee even if the item doesn't sell.

montesquieu
21-08-2015, 17:30
My tactic for getting around their ridiculous final value fees for cancelling auctions is instead of cancelling the auction change the price to a huge price so that no one buys it and the auction just runs to the end and there are no charges. Give them a year or 2 and they'll start charging a final fee even if the item doesn't sell.

Good strategy. I'll remember that one in the unlikely event I ever sell anything on ebay again!

jandl100
22-08-2015, 05:38
I hadn't realised they charge 10% seller fees on postage costs - and Paypal also of course - so you should inflate the postal charges by 14% just to cover the fees or you lose money on the postage. :bulb:

Ammonite Audio
22-08-2015, 06:25
To be fair, if you have something that buyers want, eBay will very often get a much higher price for it than selling via forums, so eBay and PayPal fees do need to be viewed in context.

Michael loves music
22-08-2015, 11:10
Yes I agree my nad amp now £62 !

Audio Advent
22-08-2015, 23:01
I wonder if, with the paypal/ebay split and becoming separate companies, sellers will be allowed other electronic payment methods like Apple Pay?

Audio Advent
22-08-2015, 23:05
I hadn't realised they charge 10% seller fees on postage costs - and Paypal also of course - so you should inflate the postal charges by 14% just to cover the fees or you lose money on the postage. :bulb:

Me neither!

So selling an item for 99p and only getting one bid could cost you say 50p in fees because of the postage? Crazy... Think they've lost the plot - if it were cheaper and ebay weren't charging ever more and taking the piss, fewer people would even be minded to sell off ebay at all.

walpurgis
22-08-2015, 23:08
Unlikely, unless there's a buck or more in it. They may become separate entities, but presumably stay under the same corporate ownership (like Gumtree).

walpurgis
22-08-2015, 23:15
eBay? People used to like it and it was a simple to use and handy way of selling. It has unfortunately fallen foul of 'The American Disease'! Meaning, that when a business becomes huge, the accountants take over and everything becomes a control and penny pinching exercise. The latest Amazon debacle is another example, the last shreds of humanity having been blown out of the window!!

montesquieu
22-08-2015, 23:18
eBay? People used to like it and it was a simple to use and handy way of selling. It has unfortunately fallen foul of 'The American Disease'! Meaning, that when a business becomes huge, the accountants take over and everything becomes a control and penny pinching exercise. The latest Amazon debacle is another example, the last shreds of humanity having been blown out of the window!!

Amazon hasn't changed a bit in 10 years, it's just more commonly reported now.

Generally I avoid - great place to find out if something exists/do the research but will generally use any other available outlet.

I haven't sold on ebay for years, too many dickheads on there who have sussed out so many ways to abuse the system. I would only use it as a last resort and even then I'd try to find a way to get cash only on collection.

Audio Al
23-08-2015, 02:24
ebay also own Stub Hub

ebay must be feeling the pinch , When I look on my watch list there is a banner telling me I can list 20 items a month free , and I will be surprised how much money I can make :)