PDA

View Full Version : Another Hello

pbroido
19-08-2015, 16:47
Well been hanging about here for a while and thought Id get started.
Love music love hifi - was well advised by my father when aged 14 (and having saved up for my first hifi) to stop looking at the biggest speakers I could find and buy the best quality I could afford (circa 1984). Landed up with NAD 3020 and Nad speakers (had never heard of the brand before) and was amazed. They took me through my teens and twenties and boy did I work them.

I have had a NAD C370, Project turntable, Arcam cd72 and Kef Q55.2 for the past 14 years but with kids etc not really been using them. Recently I got out my CDs / LPs and decided I needed to find time to listen to music as I use to. I was lucky enough to get an old Quad 303 / Thorens 125 Mk2 from my father which I managed to drag to London from South Africa and Im in the process of building up a new "old" system and learning as I go along.

Hoping to find out some of the answers here.

struth
19-08-2015, 16:52
Hi and welcome Peter. Sure you will get all the help you need when you ask; just go to appropriate section of forum and open a thread. If looking for a componet etc, tell folk what you are using, a budget and what music your liking. oh yes and type of room can be helpful. cheers

Us-&-Them
19-08-2015, 17:15
You'll get plenty of answers on here mate - all rubbish, none making any sense, in fact you'll give up on here after 20 mins - everyone's mad :lol: Have fun, its all good fun. Welcome to AOS !!!:D

Gordon Steadman
19-08-2015, 17:18
And pics of the equipment, your room, the dog/cat and your neighbours would help too:eyebrows: We like pics here.

Welcome to the forum.

PS When they let you of course. I think you need a minimum number of posts.

walpurgis
19-08-2015, 21:26
Hello Peter. Welcome to AOS.

You're off to a decent start with the Thorens and Quad. Do you have items in mind for the rest of the system? An all vintage system could be fun and sound very good. Plenty of members here using similar, so you won't go short of advice if you have questions.

We have sections covering every aspect of Hi-Fi, so just find the area you need and start threads there with any queries you may have. Or just ask general questions in the Blank Canvas section.

We'd like to hear about what music you like playing.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

pbroido
20-08-2015, 00:44
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am familiar with enthusiasts sites (generally frequented by like minded nutters) my other passion is coffee and those forums really do run hot (and helpful) :)

Speakers are a minefield I'm finding. Im still using my Kef Q55.2 (I have never "loved" them) and would like to try some older speakers - there seems to be great value to be had. I have just been nosing around and already there is a list stretching from late 60s to late 80s with some of the usual suspects (Spendor, Kef, Tangent, Rega etc.

Music dear I say includes just about everything. Dire Straits and Pink Floyd are where I go if I want to reference something, I spent too many hours listening to them and it seems every note is etched in my brain. But I like 70s folk music, enjoy rock and 90s grunge (thanks to having a younger brother), classical, and the odd modern indie band as it comes through. I even do house, acid jazz, drum and bass from time. Never really got into real Jazz nor country but there's time......

Us-&-Them
20-08-2015, 23:09
:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:
............. Never really got into real Jazz nor country but there's time......

Yes............................................... ............. plenty of time !!!!! :zzz: I guess I'm wwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy tttttoooooooo far down the noisy rock n roll road for jazz and country but, we're all different and, it takes all sorts to make the world go round - each to there own !! :lol:

I did say we're all mad !!! :guitar::rock::thumbsup:

Floyddroid
21-08-2015, 20:43
Welcome Peter.

Eagle owl
22-08-2015, 13:39
Hello and welcome Peter.

Geoff. :wave:

Barry
23-08-2015, 16:50
Welcome to AoS Peter,

Looks like you have made a good start with the Quad amps and Thorens 125 turntable. Is the Thorens fitted with the Thorens arm, or do you use another?

Ask all the questions you want - and despite some replies already given, you will be assured of helpful and knowledgeable advice! :)

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry