PDA

View Full Version : Mordaunt Short Festival II - tweeter problem

rossman
18-08-2015, 12:48
I'm not sure if this should be here or in The Drawing Board.

I've just picked up and tried out a pair of the above speakers and found that it has one tweeter down. I've checked by switching it between speakers and as far as I can tell it is the tweeter and not the crossover as the problem moved between boxes.

Does anyone think that it would be worth the effort to search out a new tweeter for these or trying to repair it. I have been thinking of trying to get hold of a pair of Pageant IIs and thought that the Festivals might give a taste of what they would sound like, but not as they are at the moment.

I only paid a tenner and thought that they might be worthwhile for spare bass units if I do get Pageants but if the DSB208 is reliable and robust is there any point? I could take them back and get a refund. I've just checked ebay completed listings and seen that a tweeter sold for £20 even though complete pairs are going for less than that.

Reffc
19-08-2015, 08:45
I'd say not unless you can source a tweeter very cheaply. They were an ok speaker but easily bettered for little money. It is worth removing the tweeter to see of it's something as simple as a broken wire, easily rectified, or something more serious such as a fried voicecoil.

Saying that, if you like them, there's any number of modern tweeters that would retrofit with a little work and you'd have to alter the crossover to suit. Not cheap unless you can source used parts cheaply and treat is as a project and learning exercise. To put it into context, the cost of two budget tweeters would easily buy a good used pair of Mission 780 SE speakers, Heybrook HB1, Tannoy Mercury V1 or similar.

walpurgis
19-08-2015, 09:46
As you've seen. Used tweeters crop up on eBay. Only worth getting one if the price is low. Or just keep the bass drivers as spares for Pageants. Or strip the speakers and sell the parts. You'd easily triple your investment.

karma67
19-08-2015, 10:47
your only £10 in so far,my advice would be to get some pageants.
i heard the smaller of the 3,the carnivals at the weekend,not bad for a small speaker.

rossman
19-08-2015, 16:05
Thank you for the replies Gents.

I think I'll keep hold of them. If I can get the correct placement cheap I'll go for it but I don't think that I would try different tweeters unless I can get hold of some cheap but decent quality ones that I had before and fitted into a pair of original Wharfedale Dentons. I got them from Australia but I am not sure if they are still available.

I'm off to visit family soon but I will look at getting some Pageants when I return. If I do I might experiment using the Festival crossover boards to recap Pageants to the "flat" position.