PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Audio Silver 6 Floorstanders

isobarik
17-08-2015, 11:35
Hi to all.
Anyone owned a pair of these or even listened to them? I'd be very interested in what you have to say about them if indeed anyone has had a pair! Are they any good?

Regards
Ray

walpurgis
17-08-2015, 11:52
I've not heard them, but I steer clear of Monitor Audio speakers generally. Some like them obviously, but I tend to find the sound eventually a bit wearing and to an extent sterile. Same for B&W and J M Labs speakers. This is a rather sweeping view, I know. There are exceptions, the older MA 852 and ancient B&W DM2 for instance. Which I like.

isobarik
17-08-2015, 12:02
Cheers Geoff. I was contemplating buying a pair but I really need someone who knows them. Their are a few variants of the Silver 6 so I believe? Rs,Rx and the latest I think is just called the Silver 6. It's all so confusing!
I owned the 352s and they weren't bad at all! Looks like i'll be steering clear of the new batch of Monitor Audio stuff!

dantheman91
17-08-2015, 13:57
Using a pair of Silver RS1's at the moment i quite like them:eek:

Clive197
17-08-2015, 14:13
Used to sell Monitor Audio speakers. Listened to them a lot as well as doing demos. The telling story is that of all the demos I did about 40% purchased but interestingly of those purchased about 5% wanted to return them. The reason was that the Silver and to a slightly less extent the Gold were very impressive when demo's but difficult to live with people complaining they were too bright and thumpy. I would never purchase Monitor Audio or for that matter Kef. Nothing personal, the staff of both those companies were very helpful and professional but the voicing has never been to my taste.

Michael loves music
17-08-2015, 14:34
I honestly think Tannoy make a good range of speakers love my V1

walpurgis
17-08-2015, 14:48
I honestly think Tannoy make a good range of speakers love my V1

There are many great Tannoy speakers, but also a few 'that's a bit unfortunate' products :). I have a pair of the 'Wow' ones.

Zoidburg
17-08-2015, 15:12
Used to sell Monotor Audio speakers. Listened to them a lot as well as doing demos. The telling story is that of all the demos I did about 40% purchased but interestingly of those purchased about 5% wanted to return them. The reason was that the Silver and to a slightly less extent the Gold were very impressive when demo's but difficult to live with people complaineing they were too bright and thumpy. I would never purchase Monotor Audio or for that matter Kef. Nothing personal, the staff of both those companies were very helpful and professional but the voicing has never been to my taste.

I lived with a pair of RS8's for a couple of years and would agree on the bright & thumpy assessment. No way could I go back to them now.

isobarik
17-08-2015, 15:38
Looks like I can cross these off my list then?!:lol:

Pieoftheday
17-08-2015, 18:04
Cheers Geoff. I was contemplating buying a pair but I really need someone who knows them. Their are a few variants of the Silver 6 so I believe? Rs,Rx and the latest I think is just called the Silver 6. It's all so confusing!
I owned the 352s and they weren't bad at all! Looks like i'll be steering clear of the new batch of Monitor Audio stuff!
I had a pair of rs6 for a long time, wonderful speakers and after a month or two any harshness disappeared completely, wish I had room for another pair!

isobarik
17-08-2015, 18:57
I had a pair of rs6 for a long time, wonderful speakers and after a month or two any harshness disappeared completely, wish I had room for another pair!

How much are they worth secondhand?
Regards
Ray

Pieoftheday
17-08-2015, 19:31
How much are they worth secondhand?
Regards
Ray

Ray, mine went for around £350 about four years ago,might av been five, they were mint,I've. Seen em go for more recently on eBay, seen em go for less n'all:steam: if you could get them in tip top nick I'd pay £300/350. I found they needed some space around them,no port bungs, ooh I wish I could fit some in!!!

isobarik
18-08-2015, 11:01
Ray, mine went for around £350 about four years ago,might av been five, they were mint,I've. Seen em go for more recently on eBay, seen em go for less n'all:steam: if you could get them in tip top nick I'd pay £300/350. I found they needed some space around them,no port bungs, ooh I wish I could fit some in!!!

Hi James
I've been just been offered a pair, mint,boxed and all the accessories. £310.
Regards
Ray

Pieoftheday
18-08-2015, 14:50
Hi James
I've been just been offered a pair, mint,boxed and all the accessories. £310.
Regards
Ray

sounds a good deal to me, the ones on ebay at the moment are the best part of £400!!! , james

Pieoftheday
22-08-2015, 22:21
Did you?

plastic penguin
30-08-2015, 04:02
Hi to all.
Anyone owned a pair of these or even listened to them? I'd be very interested in what you have to say about them if indeed anyone has had a pair! Are they any good?

Regards
Ray

Not heard the new Silver 6s, but have owned the RS6s for around 6 years. Loved them. Really does depend what amplification you have. They don't appreciate upfront presentation and/or crummy room acoustics.

I've always found they go well with Arcam, Creek, Roksans (Kandy or Caspian) or any class A amp. Avoid IMO Cyrus, Naim, Rotel... any amp that has a tendency of fatiguing the listener.

I replaced my Arcam with a Leema Pulse: Leema + MAs very good combo. However, with over compressed CDs (remastered) they can sound a little mechanical. Now I have PMC TB2i with the Leema. Great combo.