PDA

View Full Version : Runeaudio / Pi wireless help

Bourneendboy
15-08-2015, 06:59
I now have my Pi up and running with Runeaudio.

I have a couple of remaining issues that I hope to get some help with.

Firstly, I can't get wireless working using the official Raspberry Pi dongle. Not sure if it is just flakey as it does connect, but then drops out. Getting a message about the IP address?

Secondly, Spotify. I have enabled it and it is showing in the library, but when I click on it, I just get the spinning thing as if its thinking about it but nothing happens.

Any pointers on these would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Bill

WAD62
15-08-2015, 08:47
Firstly, I can't get wireless working using the official Raspberry Pi dongle. Not sure if it is just flakey as it does connect, but then drops out. Getting a message about the IP address?

I had quite a bit of trouble getting my Pi to run via wireless with piCorePlayer, transpired that the dongle I first tried had the wrong chip set (Edimax dongle was not Realtek), eventually I was successful using this one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Wireless-802-11n-RTL8188CUS-Raspberry/dp/B00H28H8DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439628114&sr=8-1&keywords=plugable+wifi+dongle

...whilst searching for suitable dongle I considered the 'official' one, however I spotted several comments about it being problematic due to its default power saving mode settings, which I believe can be re-configured...but you'll need to SSH in there and get your hands dirty ;)

P.S. Advanced IP scanner is a very useful bit of software for identifying the wifi IP address

Rothchild
15-08-2015, 09:15
I seen a fair few comments about wifi cards on Raspbian, there are some pointers here as to how to make sure that power saving is disabled:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=46569

What does the IP address message say?

What I do with mine is set the router up to always assign the same ip address to the pi (in advanced settings on the router there's an option to reserve certain addresses for certain devices) This also makes trouble shooting easier as I know that my pi is always on 192.168.1.XX

Bourneendboy
15-08-2015, 10:38
Just buried an Ethernet cable under the carpet, so sticking with that now.

Spotify the only issue now, any ideas?

struth
15-08-2015, 10:48
I got a wifi dongle initially for mine but its never been out of its packet. Gonna stick with ethernet as its probably far more stable and quicker. I got a longer cable with intention of moving the pi beside the stereo but again although i fitted the new cable i never moved it. seems to be happy enough over there in corner. Moode is so much more sta le than volumio which crashed regularly

WAD62
15-08-2015, 10:54
I got a wifi dongle initially for mine but its never been out of its packet. Gonna stick with ethernet as its probably far more stable and quicker. I got a longer cable with intention of moving the pi beside the stereo but again although i fitted the new cable i never moved it. seems to be happy enough over there in corner. Moode is so much more sta le than volumio which crashed regularly

Mine's been running on wifi for about 3 months now, using piCorePlayer, and it hasn't missed a beat...it's more robust than any of my SB devices :)

cyclopse
15-08-2015, 11:45

This reinforces my findings. Moode is much snappier going through the menus, NAS folder and much more stable than Volumio or Rune. Together with Audiophonics a fine combination.

Regards

Steve

Bourneendboy
15-08-2015, 17:38
Another thing chaps, do you leave your Pi's turned on all the time and logged in as it were?

struth
15-08-2015, 17:44
Yes just leave it on. . Hardly uses any power on idle. Volumio with me used to crash everyvfew days doing this but it might just have been my bad luck. Moode has not ever done it