PDA

View Full Version : Noisy crackly and god damn hot Lenco GL75 motor????

Frankyc2003
13-08-2015, 09:50
Quick questions to you guys,

after playing just a side, yesterday I noticed that the motor of my Lenco GL75 was making a really perceptible crackly little noise under the platter.
Platter removed and I realised the area just above the motor was real hot to touch.

That's not normal is it?

Any ideas which electronic component could be failing here?

All your help is much appreciated as usual.

Thanks everyone. :cool::cool:

Stratmangler
13-08-2015, 09:55
Do the motor bushings need replacing?

walpurgis
13-08-2015, 09:59
Could be dried out bushes (bearings), but the "crackly" bit plus the heat makes me wonder if the motor windings are not breaking down. Plenty of second hand motors crop up on eBay, and they're easy enough to fit.

Gordon Steadman
13-08-2015, 10:10
Could be dried out bushes (bearings), but the "crackly" bit plus the heat makes me wonder if the motor windings are not breaking down. Plenty of second hand motors crop up on eBay, and they're easy enough to fit.

This is what I was thinking. It sounds more like a motor problem.

Frankyc2003
13-08-2015, 10:59
Cheers guys. Indeed the heat and crackly (electric - short) noise makes me wonder about some electrical fault…

Stoopid question:
Is the motor an easy thing to replace?

I saw the parts on eBay and it looks straightforward enough, but first hand experience is always best… isn't it?:eyebrows:

:cool: Cheers :cool:

helma
13-08-2015, 11:29
Has the motor ever been serviced? I've got no experience with the Lenco motors, but usually those big old motors in idler decks are very serviceable, if you're lucky it just needs a good clean and oiling. Though if you're really hearing 'electrical clrackling' a la sparks flying and lightning striking, maybe it's going ...

Frankyc2003
13-08-2015, 12:43
I don't believe it has had any service to be honest. Not that I know of anyway.
I really need to take the thing apart to make a better diagnostic.

But am I right in thinking that the motor shouldn't run hot, I mean so hot that it spreads across the chassis?

awkwardbydesign
13-08-2015, 13:44
If the bearings are running hot, it may conduct heat into the chassis.

Frankyc2003
13-08-2015, 14:10
Hi Rich,

Do you mean under normal operating conditions?

I have never noticed the motor getting so hot before. But on the other hand I very rarely dive under the platter…

Cheers

walpurgis
13-08-2015, 14:59
Is the motor an easy thing to replace?

Yes. If you've the slightest bit of practicality about you it should be straightforward.

Have a look for images of disassembled units to get an idea. LencoHeaven site may be useful.

walpurgis
13-08-2015, 15:06
But am I right in thinking that the motor shouldn't run hot, I mean so hot that it spreads across the chassis?

You should not get that kind of heat. The motor bushes are quite small and if they are running dry, I'd expect them to be noisy rather than generate large amounts of heat. Try a drop of light oil on the bearings, making sure you keep it well away from the tapered shaft section the idler touches. If that quietens the motor and the heat stops building up then the problem is identified. But I'm inclined to suspect the coil windings may be showing signs of failure. That is unsafe.

helma
13-08-2015, 16:54
With the Dual motors (though they are quite different I believe), they split apart and if you install it back together so that the halves are not exactly at the correct position, it will affect the motor efficiency and it'll heat a lot more than normal. I suppose something similar could've happened with your Lenco motor, maybe someone took it apart at some point and didn't do a stellar job putting it all back together? Some heat is normal but it sounds like the amount you get really isn't. I wouldn't spin that motor before getting it sorted out - might be it'll be just fine after some service, but not if you burn it before that :)

rossman
14-08-2015, 08:57
If you haven't seen this already it is invaluable http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=2087.0

It's certainly worth trying to service the motor yourself and not too hard to if you have the correct tools.

walpurgis
14-08-2015, 09:18
Excellent link Paul. :thumbsup:

Frankyc2003
18-08-2015, 14:34
Thanks guys. This link is indeed very useful. I will try to service the motor first. And we shall see...;)