PDA

View Full Version : My System

bacobits
22-09-2009, 17:00
There are a lot of different systems here for sure.
Here is my modest system.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/NewTT3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/NewTT2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/Systemroom1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/RoomShotNew2.jpg

I have to say this system is very involving and satisfying.

Speakers: Brines Acoustics FT1600II, Single driver, in a MLTL configuration
Sub: HSU VTF3 MKII, 12", 350w
Amp: Vista Audio I34, Integrated, 35w/ch, JJ Cryo EL34 tubes
TT: (Just Purchased) Rega P5, with TTPS, Dynavector 10X5
Phono Pre: Eastern Electric Mini Max Phono, NOS tubes
CD: Raysonic 128, run in NOS mode.
Power Filtering: Brick Wall Line filter
Interconnects: Home Grown Audio Solid silver, Kimber 8TC on speakers
Power Cables: all Signal Power cables

Music preferences Jazz, Rock, New Age, Some classical, Celtic, NO Hip hop, grunge, opera.

Den:carrot:

DaveK
22-09-2009, 17:04
Hi Den,
Nice kit (and nice pad, if I may say so :) ).
If that is what you call "modest", you should see mine :lolsign: .
Cheers,

bacobits
22-09-2009, 17:51
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the welcome and the compliments.
I wish the room was larger. Always wishing for something right?

I just picked up the Rega P5 and I'm not disappointed coming off of a complete Basis 1400, Basis Clamp etc, RB300, incognito wire, Michell weight.

The Rega with the speed controller is just damn "toe tappin" involving good.
It killed my Basis. I had a P3 years ago I liked very much for the same reason.
I was going to purchase a full blown SL1210 from KAB. I didn't because the audiophile in me said to buy the P5. The Technics new with the KAB upgrades would have cost the same as I paid for the used Rega P5.

Anyway I'm enjoying the system again and for a change playing vinyl.

I am suprised for a Brit Site there are not more Rega People here.

Den

Marco
22-09-2009, 18:40
Hi Den,

I like your system, and also your room! So where are you from? :)

Marco.

bacobits
22-09-2009, 23:24
Hi Marco,
Thanks for the warm welcome here.

I'm from USA, North Carolina.

The Grand Wazoo
23-09-2009, 00:20
I am suprised for a Brit Site there are not more Rega People here.

Hi Den, Welcome to the Art of Sound.
It's great that you're getting exposed to the vinyl again!

I tend to think the things that link together us here are not so much brands or philosophies, but that we recognise the following principles:

There is a huge diversity of approaches that can be taken to achieve a good sound.

That everyone's own approach to this - no matter the budget or whether it's unorthodox - has value & is of interest.

We can all learn something new. Even the most inexperienced member can offer something of value.

The Grand Wazoo
23-09-2009, 00:24
But yes, you're right, there aren't so many Rega users here!
If anyone mentions alternative drive systems to you, then you should demonstrate one of the alternative uses of a drive belt - they're great for flicking people in the ear with!

chris@panteg
23-09-2009, 09:25
Hi Den

Lovely system and very tasteful room , like the veneer on your speaker's.

Alex_UK
23-09-2009, 20:21
Very nice den, Den! And the system is rather tasty, too! Many of us have gone through the revitalised vinyl enthusiasm - I just find there aren't enough hours in the day to listen to all my stuff - if someone could just invent a pill to do away with sleep, that would be the ultimate upgrade!

REM
24-09-2009, 08:03
Nice looking room and system, never heard of half of it but it looks like it means business. The record on the P5, given your preferences I'm guessing its Stanley Clark, maybe Journey to Love or something from the mid 70's era? Anyone else fancy a guess?:smoking:

freefallrob
24-09-2009, 11:16
Hi very nice system, congratulations. Regarding your Rega comment, I use a NAD C555 with a glass platter which is basically like a Rega P2/P3 clone, sounds great. I used to run a Technics with modified arms etc etc.

bacobits
25-09-2009, 14:35
Yo Rob,
I see you around AA ??
Now then, that place is completely different than here.

Another nice place is www.audionervosa.com.
Check it out.

Den

freefallrob
25-09-2009, 14:55
Yo Rob,
I see you around AA ??
Now then, that place is completely different than here.

Another nice place is www.audionervosa.com.
Check it out.

Den

Hi Den, 'AA' do mean Audio Asylum by that? I do post now and then on the Vinyl Asylum (mostly), though recently I haven't had that much to post about, my systems been fairly static for a while, though I do have the odd word of wisdom for the forums now and then!

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Alex_UK
25-09-2009, 15:43
Yo Rob,
I see you around AA ??

Rob, I think by "AA" Den means Alcoholics Anonymous? :drinking:

:eyebrows:

Marco
25-09-2009, 15:54
Alex,

Well, from your avatar, it looks like your wee girl is a fully paid-up member!!

Ach, a coupla cans of Stella before bed'll make sure she sleeps well... :barrel: :drunk: :goodnight:

Marco.

Alex_UK
25-09-2009, 16:05
Ach, a coupla cans of Stella before bed'll make sure she sleeps well... :barrel: :drunk: :goodnight:

If only that was the case Marco - she just wants to beat me and the wife up, turns the hifi up and then she trashes her cot! :lol:

DSJR
25-09-2009, 16:30
That's about right. just wait until she gets to around eleven years old (year 6-7) and then watch her start to "strut her stuff......" Last year at primary school's the worst (year 6) when they think they're the queens of the school - they don't half get a come-uppance in their first weeks at High School where they're thought of as babes just out of nappies/diapers :D)

Back to Rega vs Technics

The thing about any Rega is that there doesn't seem like a huge amount you can do to it. You buy it, site it and play it - end of! Nothing wrong in that at all and to be fair to Rega, they've worked hard on the corded belt drive to tame it as much as possible and keep the speed fairly accurate. You're still limited on absolute cartridge choice due to the deck rather than the arm, although the Dynavector you have is an excellent choice for this arm.

On the other hand, the techie as bought standard, should equal a Planar 3 sonically, the wonderful and far superior drive system in the 1200 making up for the arm's weaknesses here and there. The thing is, the motor unit is so potentially capable once matted, footed and booted and once a sympathetic supply is added (KAB and Timestep are the best known I believe) and the arm up-graded, you leapfrog the Rega and enter a far higher plane of vinyl reproduction - one occupied by some great decks usually costing more and also (it has to be said) some awful cutting-lathe replica's costing even more and sounding worse quite often (male jewellery again).

Enjoy your Rega and look to a P9 one day perhaps, although now there is a decent source of SP10 restoration available.......................;)

bacobits
28-09-2009, 21:32
Hi Dave,

Getting to a P9 would not be in the future unless it was a super price.
At retail I would be looking at the German offerings or maybe others.

There are a few things you can do to a P5. Change out the sub platter, change the platter to acrylic, Drop weight on arm, arm re-wire, change feet. These are pretty reasonable $$. I won't go that far because the Regas should not be messed with that much.

I did not choose a VPI Scout for the reason that the upgrades are too expensive. Right from new, it needs the 600RPM motor $150 and then the SDS that is $1K, to hell with that. You know all the other upgrades involved. Anti skate, dropped weight, Fancy VTA adjuster, and on, and on. Not for me. That is a reason I got rid of my VIP HW19 III. By the $ spent to upgrade it your better off buying a whole new deck and cheaper with those upgrdes a lot of times included.

Yes, also the to the Technics SL1210 deals, upgraded by KAB is good. Full mods come to about $1100 and the reason that is reasonable is because the table is only $450-475 new. I have seen some real nice upgraded deals recently but passed on them.

I've been doing this too long. I never pay anywhere near retail $$.

Den

freefallrob
29-09-2009, 08:42
Rob, I think by "AA" Den means Alcoholics Anonymous? :drinking:

:eyebrows:

Aha, I wouldn't be able to tell you because it's anonymous.......:ner:(tell you what saying 'anonymous' isn't easy after a few bottles of red;))

Barry
29-09-2009, 20:37
Aha, I wouldn't be able to tell you because it's anonymous.......:ner:(tell you what saying 'anonymous' isn't easy after a few bottles of red;))

"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal lobotomy"

Beechwoods
29-09-2009, 20:45
Nice system, Den. Great to see the pics!

bacobits
29-09-2009, 23:30
Hey Nick,

Love the R to R's you have in your signature.
I have had a few myself back when.
The damn tape rot got me out of it.
The last deck I had was a Technics RS1500US.
Loved taping all that stuff. Good fun for a long time.

Den

jandl100
02-10-2009, 08:02
Excellent looking system you have there, Den. But why no cumfy listening chair? My Ekornes Recliner and footstool I bought earlier this year was an excellent upgrade to my system! :)

bacobits
02-10-2009, 14:33
Right now I'm in an extra bedroom for my dedicated room.
The house (3 years old) is up For Sale and we will be moving 90 miles from here to Charlotte, NC. It is the worst time to sell right now but no choice.
Maybe the next house will have a better situation or a bigger room. Thanks for the compliment, this is a pretty simple system from what I have had in the past. Ya know what? It's much cheaper and sounds better too.

Den

Alex_UK
02-10-2009, 19:08
My Ekornes Recliner and footstool I bought earlier this year was an excellent upgrade to my system! :)

If I had one of those all I would listen to would be the sound of my own snoring!

bacobits
30-06-2010, 00:36
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/NewSystem36-1-10.jpg

I changed to the Pathos Classic One MKII it then forced me to go for full range speakers. It did not jive with my single driver speakers and the sub for that matter. This is a weird bird amp but when you match components correctly it's killer good.
These are Usher CP-6371. I also changed the Phono pre to a Musical Suroundings Nova Phenomenon. Solid state and very adjustable to just about any combination cartridge loading. Still have the Rega P5 and my Raysonic 128 CD. I have had tubes for a long time so this Hybrid Integrated just got my curiosity up. System sounds superb and extremely quiet.

Den N.

jandl100
30-06-2010, 07:25
[IMG]I changed to the Pathos Classic One MKII it then forced me to go for full range speakers. It did not jive with my single driver speakers and the sub for that matter. This is a weird bird amp but when you match components correctly it's killer good.

Den N.

Yup, I agree that the Pathos is a mighty fine amp - good sound, but excellent grunt, too. Mine drove a pair of large fullrange Audiostatic DCI stats without breaking a sweat.

I must admit I have never been a fan of single driver (cone) speakers, so I would say that the amp was just showing up their limitations! ;) YMMV. :)

James G
01-07-2010, 01:59
Hey Den,

All your stuff looks really nice. Much nicer than mine, I'm just getting started in the audio game. Especially the CD player makes me drool! :eek:

BTW, I'm from Morehead City/Beaufort. Did you ever get moved out to Charlotte?

Spectral Morn
01-07-2010, 10:52
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/NewSystem36-1-10.jpg

I changed to the Pathos Classic One MKII it then forced me to go for full range speakers. It did not jive with my single driver speakers and the sub for that matter. This is a weird bird amp but when you match components correctly it's killer good.
These are Usher CP-6371. I also changed the Phono pre to a Musical Suroundings Nova Phenomenon. Solid state and very adjustable to just about any combination cartridge loading. Still have the Rega P5 and my Raysonic 128 CD. I have had tubes for a long time so this Hybrid Integrated just got my curiosity up. System sounds superb and extremely quiet.

Den N.

Hi Den

Nice looking system.

Just a wee suggestion worth playing around with, if you can borrow one and that is to try a second Pathos Classic One mk2. You can, by the flick of a button underneath turn it into a 135 watt Mono integrated. The one remote will work both and you can adjust balance by reducing or increasing the volume (its a wee bit crude over a dedicated balance control) on one amp over the other.

You gain improved control over the speakers, with better bass ime, a more open and detailed sound but you don't loose the delicacy. Its worth trying though some think the one amp used by itself sounds better. This would depend on the speakers you are using.

Regards D S D L

bacobits
09-09-2010, 16:18
An absolute revelation here since July.
I purchased the "audiodharma CABLE COOKER".
I have not seen anyone mention cable Break-in here. Are you a believer?
It is true, that cables do need break-in.

Well, this led to some Beta testing of WyWires a new and different start-up company in cables.
Let me state I have no financial interest in this company. Alex and company have been quite generous in letting us keep the Beta cables that were made up for us.

http://www.wywires.com/

I have never in 30 years heard such a profound difference for the better
in my system from any other cables. These are superb. I was quite bowled over and it is not subtle.

Not cheap, but these are quit something to hear.
If these are in your price range I highly recommend them. A 60 day money back guarantee is offered. Alex is running a trade in program till the end of the year.

Start out with the new "Juice" Power cable ($239) and go from there.
You will hear the difference in the Power Cable on your amp in your system.

Den

bacobits
14-08-2011, 21:28
Some more updates here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/TT1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/TTRack.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bacobits/IMG_2121.jpg

My P5 is completely blown out upgraded. Dual Pulley, 2 White belts, all of the Groove tracer upgrades, and now using a Denon DL103R, going into a Jasmine LP 2.0 MKII Phono pre.

All wired with Wywire. Superb!

I have a Schiit "Bifrost DAC" on the way at the end of Aug.

Den

The Black Adder
15-08-2011, 19:33
Superb system.. Love it.

Great CD player too.. I've had the same one.

I need a den! lol

bacobits
17-08-2011, 22:38
And, your system is quite nice too. I bet it sounds that way too.
Thanks for the compliments. I notice European systems can be very different.
But, we are all addicted to this money pit.

D