PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Croft

basnas
10-08-2015, 19:30
Hi
Is Glenn Croft on hollyday or playing cricket?Always very fast writing back on email, but not now.
Best jan

hifi_dave
11-08-2015, 08:34
I am in contact with him almost every day.

Marco
11-08-2015, 11:27
Hope all is well with him, Dave :)

Marco.

Barry
11-08-2015, 11:29
+1

The Black Adder
11-08-2015, 11:30
+2

Spectral Morn
11-08-2015, 11:37
My understanding is he tries to pre program orders to be done before the cricket season because during that he doesn't make anything and pretty much vanishes until its over, then its back to normal.

Regards Neil

Marco
11-08-2015, 11:43
Is it currently the cricket season? I wouldn't have a scooby-doo, as I detest the sport.

Marco.

The Black Adder
11-08-2015, 11:48
Cricket... is that like snooker?

IHP
11-08-2015, 11:50
My understanding is he tries to pre program orders to be done before the cricket season because during that he doesn't make anything and pretty much vanishes until its over, then its back to normal.

Regards Neil

I don't get the game either but if you do you've got to admit it's a cracking bit of management !

Macca
11-08-2015, 12:05
Is it currently the cricket season? I wouldn't have a scooby-doo, as I detest the sport.

Marco.

Yes it is and England are currently playing Australia which is pretty much the most important thing that ever happens in cricket.

Marco
11-08-2015, 12:08
Excellent. I'll try my best not to get too excited! ;)

Marco.

twotone
11-08-2015, 12:10
Excellent. I'll try my best not to get too excited! ;)

Marco.

My next door neighbour, lovely guy, is obessed with the cricket.

Each to thier own I suppose but I would rather eat my own eyeballs with a fork than watch that pish!:eek:

Marco
11-08-2015, 12:23
Whatever you're into, I guess. However, cricket bores the shite out of me! But then, I'm a diehard football man, and indeed a fan most sports that are fast-paced and exciting to watch :)

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
11-08-2015, 12:28
Whatever you're into, I guess. However, cricket bores the shite out of me! But then, I'm a diehard football man, and indeed a fan most sports that are fast-paced and exciting to watch :)

Marco.

The best sports are those you play yourself - with or without others.

Macca
11-08-2015, 12:29
Cricket can be edge of the seat stuff. I used to get pissed in the stand and doze off.

shane
11-08-2015, 12:42
Cricket: half an hour of intense activity, suspense and excitement packed into five days.

StanleyB
11-08-2015, 12:58
Cricket: half an hour of intense activity, suspense and excitement packed into five days.
You obviously don't know much about the game. 20/20 cricket does not last 5 days and neither do one day matches.

Desmo
11-08-2015, 13:14
You obviously don't know much about the game. 20/20 cricket does not last 5 days and neither do one day matches.

It just seems like they do :-)

Marco
11-08-2015, 13:36
The best sports are those you play yourself - with or without others.

Especially the ones that involve your right hand, eh? ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
11-08-2015, 14:16
:offtopic:

Sort of..........

On topic......

I thought first I heard about it that it was an unusual business practice, but yet again if Glenn gets it to work for him, then fair enough.

Regards Neil

Gordon Steadman
11-08-2015, 14:22
Especially the ones that involve your right hand, eh? ;)

Marco.

Left handed.

Joe
11-08-2015, 16:48
Left handed.

Sinister.

Audio Al
11-08-2015, 16:53

Marco.

Thats not cricket old chap :D

struth
11-08-2015, 17:09
Quite liked 1 day cricket but tests etc are borefest. cricket is bigger than youd think in Scotland.. trouble is we are crap at it; just like footy;)

Marco
11-08-2015, 17:38
Left handed.

With quick wrists? :D

Marco.

twotone
11-08-2015, 17:40
Quite liked 1 day cricket but tests etc are borefest. cricket is bigger than youd think in Scotland.. trouble is we are crap at it; just like footy;)

It's just rounders isn't it though?:lol:

Gordon Steadman
11-08-2015, 17:55
Sinister.

Nah - pussycat.

Oh and I lied, I'm right handed. Just didn't want Marco to think he might be correct about something:eyebrows:

Marco
11-08-2015, 20:21
Well, that would be one thing less than the numerous other things I'm correct about, haha... S'ok, even I know that I can't always be right! :lol: :ner:

Marco.

Alan Sircom
11-08-2015, 20:49
Cricket is the only game that not only has a pub built into the pitch, but also demands at least half the players are in that pub at any one time during a match. It also has some nerdy counting things for the designated drivers to do while waiting for the bits of sport to happen in those rare moments between beers. Only darts has a closer link between 'sport' and 'pint'.

Even golf requires you to walk around a bit before you go to the bar.

Once viewed in that light, cricket is a great game.

Marco
11-08-2015, 21:06
:lolsign:

Nice to see you checking in again, Alan! Hope you are well and keeping busy :)

Marco.

StanleyB
11-08-2015, 21:23
Cricket is the only game that not only has a pub built into the pitch, but also demands at least half the players are in that pub at any one time during a match. It also has some nerdy counting things for the designated drivers to do while waiting for the bits of sport to happen in those rare moments between beers. Only darts has a closer link between 'sport' and 'pint'.

You are of course referring to cricket in England. In the West Indies just a pub would be considered a poorly equipped cricket club.

Joe
11-08-2015, 22:03

It was my favourite game at school. Deep fielding was essentially an opportunity to have a quiet ciggie and discuss Bob Dylan.

Floyddroid
12-08-2015, 06:42
Cricket is pants. Boring left over of a bygone age. Yet another game England made popular for other countries to become better at.
Yes it is and England are currently playing Australia which is pretty much the most important thing that ever happens in cricket.

Marco
12-08-2015, 07:52
It was my favourite game at school. Deep fielding was essentially an opportunity to have a quiet ciggie and discuss Bob Dylan.

My favourite sport at school was muff diving.

Marco.

Macca
12-08-2015, 07:54
Cricket is pants. Boring left over of a bygone age. Yet another game England made popular for other countries to become better at.

Except England just beat Australia and won the series....

I used to play years ago but packed it in when I went to college. I was never any good and the one time I was captain we lost disastrously.

The great advantage of cricket was that back in the day pubs had to close at 1430 and couldn't open again until 1730. But at the cricket ground you could drink all afternoon.

Marco
12-08-2015, 07:56
Yesh, pissed up Brits, as usual, with nothing else better to do, and whose lives revolve around drinking! :doh: :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Macca
12-08-2015, 07:59
It is a fundemental part of our cultural heritage. We didn't carve out a global Empire and win all those world wars whilst we were sober, you know ;)

Marco
12-08-2015, 08:06
Lol.... No wonder alcoholic liver disease in this country is rife!

Marco.

RichB
12-08-2015, 08:34
My old house used to back on to the cricket club and I had a gap in the fence I could cut through, grab a pint and hurl abuse at the 3rd team. Think Sunday pub league football, most of them drunk and smoking whilst nobody could quite figure out what was going on.

As such I don't mind cricket at all but I'm still none the wiser.

anthonyTD
12-08-2015, 08:39
Ahh, dont put yourself down mate! :eek::lol:
Yesh, pissed up Brits, as usual, with nothing else better to do, and whose lives revolve around drinking! :doh: :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Joe
12-08-2015, 08:46
My favourite sport at school was muff diving.

Marco.

I was at an all-boys school.

Joe
12-08-2015, 08:47

Marco.

We should model ourselves on the sober, hard-working, dynamic Italians.

Gordon Steadman
12-08-2015, 09:01
I used to play cricket for my company.

The first game I played for them, I took an unbelievable catch in the slips. Pure self preservation, I still don't understand how it stuck in the hand. Thereafter, I was considered their ace slip fielder and had to stand in one of the most dangerous positions imaginable. Some of our bowlers were lesser county cricketers and they didn't arf chuck 'em down.

Those balls are a lot harder than mine.

I decided to revert to a safe game like sky diving without a parachute.

Marco
12-08-2015, 09:52
I was at an all-boys school.

Ah, that'll explain why you turned out the way you did! ;)

The 70s/80s was a great era for indulging in some naughty school time activities... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Beobloke
12-08-2015, 11:58
I have never really liked cricket but used to be glad it existed. It harked back to the good old days of gentlemen, afternoon tea on the village green, sportsmanship and good conduct.

Nowadays half the matches appear to be played by people wearing pyjamas and the crowd has been infiltrated by the knuckle-dragging football yobs who can't sit down, shut the hell up and simply enjoy the game. As a result, I've gone off it.

The Black Adder
12-08-2015, 12:15
I have never really liked cricket but used to be glad it existed. It harked back to the good old days of gentlemen, afternoon tea on the village green, sportsmanship and good conduct.

You have been to our village then... lol

I'd rather watch Cricket rather than football any day of the week. Especially on a hot day, in a deck chair sipping Pimms.

I've never been a footy fan. I used to go to matches with my dad but I simply couldn't grow any fondness to the sport.

(Waits to be slapped, stabbed and thrown in the canal next to the old viaduct on a Saturday night. Ahh.. a good night out.. :rolleyes:)

Barry
12-08-2015, 12:31
You have been to our village then... lol

I'd rather watch Cricket rather than football any day of the week. Especially on a hot day, in a deck chair sipping Pimms.

I've never been a footy fan. I used to go to matches with my dad but I simply couldn't grow any fondness to the sport.

(Waits to be slapped, stabbed and thrown in the canal next to the old viaduct on a Saturday night. Ahh.. a good night out.. :rolleyes:)

Now yer talking - cricket is the perfect spectator sport: you can nod off to sleep, only to wake if there is some action, give a desultory round of applause, have another swig of beer and fall asleep again!

The Black Adder
12-08-2015, 12:37
Now yer talking - cricket is the perfect spectator sport: you can nod off to sleep, only to wake if there is some action, give a desultory round of applause, have another swig of beer and fall asleep again!

Haha... Precisely.

struth
12-08-2015, 12:57
its the only sport you can be 500. behind the opposition and still get a draw as well.

The Black Adder
12-08-2015, 13:34
lol... the rules and scoring... now that is witchcraft. lol

Marco
12-08-2015, 13:38
I'm afraid it's all too 'quintessentially English', for me... Of the painfully slow, 'monotonous' sports, I'd rather play or watch golf :)

Marco.

The Black Adder
12-08-2015, 13:47
I see it being in-between footy and Golf... Golf is simply the most boring sport ever created. The only way to ruin a good walk, as they say.

Marco
12-08-2015, 13:52
I prefer golf because its heritage is Scottish, and I used to quite like playing it (and putting) in the local park, near where I used to live (Rouken Glen http://www.roukenglenpark.co.uk/Article/3357). There is also some fantastic scenery around where some of the Scottish golf courses are, and one of my favourite hotels to stay in is Turnberry.

Del and I have enjoyed many pleasant stays there (and at Gleneagles), so in short, I have more 'in common' with golf than cricket :cool:

Marco.

Macca
12-08-2015, 13:56
Marco is a golfist. There's a turn-up.

Joe
12-08-2015, 13:59

It's the plaid trousers that attract him.

Barry
12-08-2015, 14:08
lol... the rules and scoring... now that is witchcraft. lol

Shame on you - they're not rules, they are laws: umpires have to know, and are examined on, The Laws of Cricket.

Marco
12-08-2015, 14:10

Not really, but given the choice of that or cricket (which I'd end up slitting my wrists watching), and all the pompousness attached to it, I'd take golf any day!

My favourite sports, in order of preference, are:

1) Football (mainly when Celtic, Liverpool, Scotland or Italy are playing).
2) Tennis (and pretty much all racquet sports, especially badminton).
3) Clay-pigeon shooting.
4) Airgun target shooting.
5) Rally/stock car racing.
6) Motorcycle racing.
7) Snooker/pool/darts.
8) International rugby (Four Nations - especially when Wales or Scotland 'pump' England, lol)! ;)
9) Golf.

Marco.

struth
12-08-2015, 14:37
ah. golf...now thats the hardest sport around to do well... nothing harder tgan hitting a tiny ball with a small headed long shafted stick, very hard and very accurately.... needless to say i was. nt very good at it. cricket is a bit more dangerous though i' ll give it that but golf is much more enjoyable to watch.
The most popular pastimes have always been ones that males can enjoy alone: angling, golf, and of course the all time number one.:eyebrows:

Gordon Steadman
12-08-2015, 14:46
We really ought to start a new thread for this. Is Glenn into sport?

Motor racing of 'almost' any description
Tennis
Everything else

Football:D

walpurgis
12-08-2015, 14:52
ah. golf...now thats the hardest sport around to do well...

Oh, I don't know. Try perfecting a left handed o soto makikomi when you're right handed. :D

Marco
12-08-2015, 14:55
Try perfecting a left handed o soto makikomi when you're right handed. :D

A whatty? :scratch:

Sounds like a Japanese sexual position!

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
12-08-2015, 14:57
A whatty? :scratch:

Sounds like a Japanese sexual position!

Marco.
Yikes. Some people are sooooo ignorant!!

PS Google is my friend!! Found out.

Marco
12-08-2015, 15:01
Lol - I prefer just to ask, rather than pretend I know what it is, after having been told on Google. There's no shame in not knowing everything! ;)

Marco.

struth
12-08-2015, 15:06
it will be some sort of Japanese tossing at a guess:)

walpurgis
12-08-2015, 16:12
it will be some sort of Japanese tossing at a guess:)

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=o+soto+makikomi

One of my favourite contest moves! :)

struth
12-08-2015, 16:23
Glasgow uses a similar move. its called the babe ruth ;) :lol:

Marco
12-08-2015, 16:26
babe ruth? Dunno that one....

Marco.

struth
12-08-2015, 16:29
babe ruth? Dunno that one....

Marco.

Baseball bat over the noggin';)

Marco
12-08-2015, 16:35
Lol - is that what they call it? I prefer using a nice sword or a machete... Baseball bats are for chavs. Always believed in doing a job right or not at all! ;)

Marco.

struth
12-08-2015, 16:41
I'll tell Al capone you said that when I meet him;)

Marco
12-08-2015, 16:42
Lol - I learned all my 'tricks' from Paul Ferris..... ;)

Marco.

Marco
12-08-2015, 16:47
I'm also a fan of the 'Glasgow send-off': http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jun/17/scotland

Ye cannae beat a bullet up the bahookie! :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
12-08-2015, 16:53
Lol - I prefer just to ask, rather than pretend I know what it is, after having been told on Google. There's no shame in not knowing everything! ;)

Marco.

Nope but then the iggorant bit described me too didn't it:lol:

struth
12-08-2015, 16:57
Lol - I learnt all my 'tricks' from Paul Ferris..... ;)

Marco.

used to work with a guy who lived next to his mum. he was a nice lad, but nuts... forgot his name now :doh:

struth
12-08-2015, 17:04
I'm also a fan of the 'Glasgow send-off': http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jun/17/scotland

Ye cannae beat a bullet up the bahookie! :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

Always liked Just a Boys Game with Frankie Miller. "McCafferty, your teas oot!" "Come ahead, McQuillan."

got the dvd somewhere...think it was one of bbc's play for today offerings along with just another Saturday. Frankie really looked the part.

Haselsh1
12-08-2015, 17:07
I'd much rather watch golf, cricket or football than snooker. In fact, I'd rather listen to Joan Armatrading than watch snooker ;)

The Black Adder
12-08-2015, 17:37
Shame on you - they're not rules, they are laws: umpires have to know, and are examined on, The Laws of Cricket.

lol..

Macca
12-08-2015, 17:39
I like the snooker but don't watch as much as I did. Always watch the World Championship every year. Darts sometimes since I used to play, never any good but got 180 a few times in matchplay conditions, that is a buzz. The 'lectronic scoreboard in the pub used to play a tune on a 180 so everyone knew :)

I think if you played a sport a lot as a kid then you are more likely to be into watching it when older. I used to avoid the more athletic stuff once I was in my teens.

awkwardbydesign
12-08-2015, 21:59
I

I think if you played a sport a lot as a kid then you are more likely to be into watching it when older. I used to avoid the more athletic stuff once I was in my teens.
I never played football, or raced motorbikes, but that's what I watch now. I DID play snooker, rugby and cricket, but don't watch any of them. Oh well, living up to my name, I guess.