PDA

View Full Version : Phono Stage options

Zoidburg
10-08-2015, 17:39
Evening everyone,

I've had the Firebottle loaner phono stage for a week now and am really impressed with it so far (will be posting it on very soon tho :-(.

My Lehmann black cube phono stage suddenly died on me about 6 months ago and since then ive been using a £30 maplins stage as a stop gap. Obviously having now had the chance of an extended session with the firebottle its made me realise just how good vinyl can sound again.

However Iv just splashed out on a new dac so funds are pretty tight, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on other phono stage options that might give siimilar results / performance to the firebottle but hopefully in a cheaper package. Is such a thing possible or should I just resign myself to skrimping and going without food / beer for a few months and get the firebottle?

be interested to hear your thoughts

cheers

Ben

Tarzan
10-08-2015, 18:28
Ben, stay out of the pub, save the money, you have answered your own question- the Firebottle is a great sounding unit.:)

Firebottle
10-08-2015, 18:39
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on other phono stage options that might give siimilar results / performance to the firebottle but hopefully in a cheaper package.

It's an interesting question Ben, and one that will always raise performance/value observations.
From my relatively limited comparisons it does show there are a number of approaches to the task of RIAA amplification, with a surprising variation between the different approaches.
To me there is a definite benefit with using valves in the amplifier chain, but all circuits will be a balance of compromises. Unfortunately to reduce the compromises usually requires more complexity and more expense on better quality components.

I shall be very interested in further replies on this thread.

:)

Jimbo
10-08-2015, 19:19
Evening everyone,

I've had the Firebottle loaner phono stage for a week now and am really impressed with it so far (will be posting it on very soon tho :-(.

My Lehmann black cube phono stage suddenly died on me about 6 months ago and since then ive been using a £30 maplins stage as a stop gap. Obviously having now had the chance of an extended session with the firebottle its made me realise just how good vinyl can sound again.

However Iv just splashed out on a new dac so funds are pretty tight, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on other phono stage options that might give siimilar results / performance to the firebottle but hopefully in a cheaper package. Is such a thing possible or should I just resign myself to skrimping and going without food / beer for a few months and get the firebottle?

be interested to hear your thoughts

cheers

Ben

I think you would find it difficult to get better than the Firebottle phono stage for the money especially if you are looking at valve phono's.

A Solid State phono stage could be had for half the price and do the job, but not with the added magic valves bring to the party.:)

symon
12-08-2015, 00:55
This is an interesting choice. I think if you go for something different, you'll still end up scrimping and saving for the firebottle. Because you've heard it and you like it.
I've heard the firebottle 2 and it was better than the trichord dino that I'm selling. It's probably better than the ifi I'm currently using. So, you could buy something like a Dino, which is very good, but you'll want to sell it again at some point to move up to the Firebottle. I think. :scratch:

Lynster
12-08-2015, 01:26
I agree with Peter, if you can possibly manage it, go there in one step. Sometimes the incremental approach is the only option (e.g. due low funds) but over the years I'm convinced that it's ultimately cost me more where I have taken this approach.:( Moreover, it has always severely delayed a satisfactory final result with the ongoing angst that while I'm listening to the interim component, I've still to go through a further upgrade to get to where I really want to be.:doh:

belloire
12-08-2015, 14:48
i don't know how much a firebottle is, so what sort of budget are you talking about?

Desmo
12-08-2015, 15:05
What cartridge are you using? Do you need a MC or MM phono amp?

Zoidburg
12-08-2015, 15:13
Thanks for the replies for so far guys

My Budget is up to £400 and im currently using a goldring 2500 mm cart. Though it would be nice to have the option of a mm / mc stage I am quite happy with the 2500 and would probably stick to mm's at least in the foreseeable future.

belloire
12-08-2015, 15:37
the best i've heard recently in that price range is a benedict audio hothead. the model i heard (at Soulman's, who is on the firebottle loan list) was an mc, but it beat lots of nice competition, including a lehmann black cube on the day.

this is the mm version:

http://www.benedictaudio.com/hothead-phono-m/

it's small, and unassuming, but very good

Haselsh1
12-08-2015, 16:51
My first choice would be the Croft RIAA phono stage which is all valve and stunning or it would be a suitable unit by Graham Slee, maybe an Era Gold V. I have to add though that I do not know how these compare price wise, they would just be my first choice either brand new or secondhand.

walpurgis
12-08-2015, 17:24
My first choice would be the Croft RIAA phono stage which is all valve and stunning or it would be a suitable unit by Graham Slee, maybe an Era Gold V. I have to add though that I do not know how these compare price wise, they would just be my first choice either brand new or secondhand.

Not used a Croft RIAA, but I had a Graham Slee ERA Gold V for a few years. A lovely sounding unit and notably better than the EAR 834P valve stage I was using at the time. The ERA V Gold has done now. Replaced by the Graham Slee Reflex M. I may get another ERA V Gold to use with my other TT though, 'cos I miss it. :)

StanleyB
12-08-2015, 17:36
I may get another ERA V Gold to use with my other TT though, 'cos I miss it. :)
Don't rush :eyebrows:.

Zoidburg
12-08-2015, 19:12

I'd certainly love to try a croft but not sure where I could get a demo from, any ideas anyone?

twotone
12-08-2015, 20:05
I'd certainly love to try a croft but not sure where I could get a demo from, any ideas anyone?

Pretty sure there's one for sale on Pink Fish Media @ £350.

No connection to the seller.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176382

high.spirits
13-08-2015, 08:24
I did a comparison a while back with my set up and found the Music Fidelity V-LPSii equal if not better than some. The comparison list included Graham Slee units, Firebottle, Arcam, and some others.
I suppose it depends on the rest of equipment and type of music tastes.

The V-LPS can be found second hand at a reasonable price and would tide you over. You may be surprised how good it sounds.

Zoidburg
14-08-2015, 08:21
Thanks for all your comments folks, I admit that the croft linked to on here looks very decent for the price.

However after living with the firebottle loaner for a bit now I really do like what it does and have asked Alan to build one for me.

cheers

Ben