PDA

View Full Version : First time poster

Tarzan
22-09-2009, 12:34
Hi to all, this is my first post on this forum-so please go easy on me,l am looking for cartridge advise for a stock Tehnics SL1200 MK2, l brought this from E-Bay to see what the DD thing was all about, and to use it in a second system- holly cow how good does this sound! To say l was shocked would be an understatement, as l said earlier it is stock and a little beat up, but speed is ok and l have re-set the arm the cart is a Stanton SL500,as to the sound it is rich, smooth,3D and very, very musical- :),l would like to upgrade the cartridge, up to £100 ish, but keeping the same aspects of sound described above, phono stage is Cambridge Audio 640P,any advice, opinion would be appreciated-cheers!

Spectral Morn
22-09-2009, 12:46
Hi Tarzan

Welcome to AOS.

Could you pop into the Welcome section and introduce yourself. Tell us a wee bit about who you are where you are at in your audio journey, what kind of music you like and the system you use.

Could you also add your first name as your signature and a basic location into that section too. AOS likes its members to be on first name terms we feel it adds to the friendly vibe of the forum.

Regards D S D L

Marco
22-09-2009, 12:54
Hi Tarzan,

Welcome to AoS! What's your first name and where are you from? :)

With a standard Technics arm I always recommend a good quality MM cartridge, as MCs need something a little better. Fortunately, there are a few good MMs around.

The best, IMO, are the current range from Nagaoka - all of which will be miles better than the particular Stanton you're using at the moment.

Pick the best you can afford from here and enjoy with confidence:

http://www.musonic.co.uk/cartridges-nagaoka-c-4_22.html

You should also look at upgrading the stock Technics headshell to Sumiko, shown here:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1419

Enjoy, and let us know how you get on! :cool:

Marco.

freefallrob
22-09-2009, 13:31
Hi Tarzan and welcome.

The Technics is a well capable turntable ( I wish I still had mine:(). The Ortofon 2M Blue (don't bother with the RED in my opinion) is a great buy new and sounds great with the techy's stock arm i've also tried it on a few Rega arms mounted on the same table, and it's better, it's currently a little over budget for you (around £125) but has great dynamics and get up and go (modern), the Nagaoka MP110 etc as suggested are also very good and are more laid back in their presentation, but have lovely square bodies to ease alignment.
The new Goldring 2200 and above are also a good buy, offering a similar modern sound to the Ortofon 2M blue and offer the same threaded bodies making installation a lot easier.

Good luck, Rob.

DaveK
22-09-2009, 15:08
Hi Tarzan,
How are Jane and Cheetah? :)
I am fairly new here and, in a roundabout way, asked a similar question to you in my early days. Marco gave me exactly the same advice and, (as rumour has it he knows a wee bit about the subject :lolsign: ), I followed it, getting the Nagaoka 110 and Sumiko headshell. All I can say is that I don't regret spending the money for one moment - I am very happy with the sound I get.
Cheers,

Tarzan
22-09-2009, 17:23
Thanks for the replies chaps, have posted in the Welcome section, keep the suggestions coming:cool:.