PDA

View Full Version : Hissing problem with The Big O

cookstown
10-08-2015, 11:26
Hi, I bought a copy of Roy Orbison's "The All Time Greatest Hits" on Mobile Fidelity a while ago & only got round to listening to it at the weekend. Unfortunately it was unlistenable due to a loud hissing throughout. I tried cleaning the LP but this didn't help. And this is where it gets weird! I then tried it on another turntable & the hiss was greatly reduced, not entirely but certainly down to acceptable "tape hiss" standards. Then more weird. Only 3 sides are affected. I tried differerent LPs, standard weight, 180g & 200g and couldn't replicate the problem. I once had a similar problem with "The Cowboy Junkies" and in the end had to replace the LP.
Has anyone else had this type of problem?

struth
10-08-2015, 11:32
I have this record myself Patrick. there is a slight noise in background although not what your hearing i suspect. it could be a bad pressing or if a used one possibly been played with a wrongly aligned cart. only other thing may be your azimuth may be fractionally out but more inclined to go with the first 2.

its a great record with a lot of dynamics in it and its been recorded possibly a fraction too bright

cookstown
10-08-2015, 22:00
Hi Grant, the odd thing is it sounds fine on my LP12 so can it be the pressing? Other LPs sound fine with the existing azimuth on the Enigma. Is it possible that this particular LP has been cut with an irregular azimuth?

struth
10-08-2015, 22:07
Possibly, yes Patrick. It has a different tone to the rest of my albums. perhaps your cart/ stylus and azimuth are highlighting it more. I got mine second hand and although in good condition I wondered about it a bit. Looks like it is just the way it is. Maybe a different cart will give a differing result. Would be interested if you ever change it, to see it its identical or what.

cookstown
12-08-2015, 15:14
Possibly, yes Patrick. It has a different tone to the rest of my albums. perhaps your cart/ stylus and azimuth are highlighting it more. I got mine second hand and although in good condition I wondered about it a bit. Looks like it is just the way it is. Maybe a different cart will give a differing result. Would be interested if you ever change it, to see it its identical or what.

Hi Grant,
Had another listen last night & it definitely sounds like it is the stylus travelling along the groove walls. Totally unlistenable on the Enigma but sounds fine on the LP12. Both tables were recently serviced & azimuth on both should be fine particularly as I tried a few other Mobile Fidelity LPs on the Enigma & they were also fine. In the end I decided to just sit back & listen to The Big O on the LP12. Fantastic album!
Pat

struth
12-08-2015, 18:23
I was playing it with a fine line stylus. Ive got another cart on now so will tty it with that Pat

cookstown
01-12-2015, 12:54

Hi Grant, I finally got round to changing the cart, from a Goldring 1042 MM to a ClearAudio Sigma MC & the difference is astounding. The LP is now as quiet as a CD, well maybe not quite but the noise floor is very low. Really enjoying this album now. Although on the LP12 the noise floor is noticeably higher.Obviously a very fussy LP !

struth
01-12-2015, 13:08
Hi Grant, I finally got round to changing the cart, from a Goldring 1042 MM to a ClearAudio Sigma MC & the difference is astounding. The LP is now as quiet as a CD, well maybe not quite but the noise floor is very low. Really enjoying this album now. Although on the LP12 the noise floor is noticeably higher.Obviously a very fussy LP !

Good stuff Patrick. Vy vinyl reply is notcat its best at mo due to the new phono stage not being installed yet and making do with the amp's mm stage and a 20 quid chinese head amp... Although its way better than it should be... Must give that another spin when im all up n running.