PDA

View Full Version : This went cheap

Audio Al
08-08-2015, 12:19
:eek:

Very cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252041024915?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

The Black Adder
08-08-2015, 12:27
blimey, yes... nice.!

Ii just wouldn't know where to but a beast like that. lol

Lodgesound
08-08-2015, 14:03
Lovely machine and yes very cheap for what it is.

Again folk are put off by the size of these units and the complexity of operation.....these are not designed for home use.

Sound quality from these is top notch - a ceramic capstan as well!! This is an expensive and extremely worthy addition to any machine as the ceramic is far harder wearing than metal.

I currently have a Nagra with ceramic capstans (nagra's are one of the only true twin capstan machines in the world) that were fitted as an upgrade.

Before anyone asks - what I mean by true twin capstan is that BOTH capstans are under full servo control unlike many other designs where they are both driven via a belt from a single motor with the left hand capstan marginally lagging behind the right in terms of speed in order to maintain tape tension (achieved by a very slight reduction on the left hand capstan's flywheel diameter).

The Nagra's actually employed an inter-capstan tension sensor which would then slew the speed of the left hand capstan via the servo system to maintain an extremely accurate tape tension between the two.

Barry
08-08-2015, 14:32
Lovely machine and yes very cheap for what it is.

Again folk are put off by the size of these units and the complexity of operation.....these are not designed for home use.

Sound quality from these is top notch - a ceramic capstan as well!! This is an expensive and extremely worthy addition to any machine as the ceramic is far harder wearing than metal.

I currently have a Nagra with ceramic capstans (nagra's are one of the only true twin capstan machines in the world) that were fitted as an upgrade.

Before anyone asks - what I mean by true twin capstan is that BOTH capstans are under full servo control unlike many other designs where they are both driven via a belt from a single motor with the left hand capstan marginally lagging behind the right in terms of speed in order to maintain tape tension (achieved by a very slight reduction on the left hand capstan's flywheel diameter).

The Nagra's actually employed an inter-capstan tension sensor which would then slew the speed of the left hand capstan via the servo system to maintain an extremely accurate tape tension between the two.

Is that the Nagra T Stewart? My Nagra IV-S is fitted with a (synthetic) ruby tape guide, but the capstan looks to be made of stainless steel (?).

Lodgesound
08-08-2015, 15:13
Hi Barry;

Yes indeed it is the Nagra T.

I also have a IV-S and that has a stainless steel capstan shaft.

The Black Adder
08-08-2015, 15:48
Oooh, I'd love a nice Nagra, but only with the 10.5" adapters. They are spiffing!

Audio Al
08-08-2015, 15:50
Oooh, I'd love a nice Nagra, but only with the 10.5" adapters. They are spiffing!

I have a photo of it :eyebrows:

Lodgesound
08-08-2015, 16:31

Hi Jo;

If you are seriously interested I have one available for sale.....not cheap but VERY lovely...

Lodgesound
08-08-2015, 16:46
I have a photo of it :eyebrows:

Please do post it Al....

Audio Al
08-08-2015, 16:47
Please do post it Al....

OK will do :)

Audio Al
08-08-2015, 16:52
Opps , looks like I deleted it :(

Send me it again and I will post it :)

Firebottle
08-08-2015, 17:05

Wow that is impressive. A very well though design approach if I may say so :)

Lodgesound
08-08-2015, 17:45
Wow that is impressive. A very well though design approach if I may say so :)

An amazingly innovative approach which works very well...

PaulStewart
08-08-2015, 21:17
First all Tascam session I did was with a 24 Tascam with a ceramic capstan IIRC it was an ATR-80/24 2" 24 track. The two track master recorder was an ATR -60. The first project I did their was a band called the Quakes, who had come over to work with me on their first and mos sucessful album. I followed this with a 12" single with Jamaican singer Shirley Maclean, great recorders, fabulous dynamic range and very stable.