PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Schiit Mani?

supapeet
07-08-2015, 18:54
Well I ordered the above and it arrived within 2 days which was brilliant. I have just hooked it up. Turntable RCA's connected to the In and a pair of RCA's going out into my Integrated Amp to the phono inputs.

I have an Orbe with an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge. I followed the Mani instructions about setting the gain 1 and 2 switched for a Moving Magnet but it sounded distorted. No matter which setting Or combination of settings I try the sound is either distorted or very muffled.

My integrated amp has a built in phono stage and a button on the back to switch between moving magnet and moving coil. Could this be the problem or have I done something wrong in hooking it up.

Any help gratefully received!

struth
07-08-2015, 18:59
If you are using an external stage you need to connect it to a line level input on the amp and not into the phono sockets.

supapeet
07-08-2015, 19:02
Grant, believe it or not as I had just posted I thought I'll try another input, tuner, and sure enough it is now working. Thanks for your help, but bloody obvious when you think about it! You can tell I'm new to this game.

struth
07-08-2015, 19:05
Grant, believe it or not as I had just posted I thought I'll try another input, tuner, and sure enough it is now working. Thanks for your help, but bloody obvious when you think about it! You can tell I'm new to this game.

Its been done b4 and will be again peter lol. no worries and hope you enjoy the little schiit.. I love mine. it will open up a bit in use as well.

struth
07-08-2015, 19:10
Think I am using the hi output and 47k at moment with my mm thats currently in.. its better than the low.

supapeet
07-08-2015, 19:41
I'm using the settings suggested in the instructions for MM and it sounds quite revealing. Will experiment with a few different settings over the weekend. Thanks again

supapeet
10-08-2015, 18:24
I have to stick with the settings suggested in the manual for a MM cartridge. Gain 1 Low and Gain 2 High and set at 47 K for the others. When they are both Low the sound dies but when both high it distorts so I guess whoever wrote the user manual had it about right.

It makes the sound a little to bright on some acoustic recordings. I'll give it a little longer and hope the loan Firebottle comes along and I'll take it from there.

Appreciate everyone that has taken the time to advise and make recommendations.

struth
10-08-2015, 19:43
Yes the bronze is 5mv output so I guess that would be about right setting. My mm is 3.5mv so the added increase is just right. Works really well on my ort mc25 as well