PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Shure V15 III Styli?

DarrenHW
06-08-2015, 14:45
I'm awaiting delivery of a V15 III and wondered if anyone had an opinion on replacement styli? The supplied original stylus is allegedly in good order so my intention is to keep this is in the box and find a after market stylus for day to day use and try something posh for transcribing.

(From what I've read)

The Ed Saunders were well respected but word on the web is he's taken a back seat in the business and they now just repackage generic styli.

The Jico SAS seems to divide opinion, some love it, some hate it, the only things that's agreed upon is that it changes the character of the V15.

The Jico VN35E/HE are considered on par with the OEM VN35E/HE in terms of build quality but again change the character.

The EVG is considered a good budget replacement.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these or alternative styli?

Oldpinkman
06-08-2015, 15:18
I can't comment on the Shure V15 but I can comment on JICO

Unquestionably well made, the stylus is exceptionally revealing of detail and kind with surface noise. I have one in a U205 MkIII. In many ways I love it. But without the ability to do a direct A:B with an original stylus, my feeling is it doesn't quite have the magic. And so I have ended up with a Dynavector - the first ever moving coil I have parted with my own money to own - which gives me exactly what I want

I would love to try a proper U205 - since it was my reference cartridge chosen against all and sundry 20 years ago. The Jico stylus is excellent, and the U205 fitted with it is a great cartridge - but not as great as the original, unless my memory is playing shocking tricks on me

:cool:

DarrenHW
06-08-2015, 15:33
A write up on vinylengine describes the Jico as:

"JICO VN35 $78.00, bonded elliptical, Japan, lively and great sounding, slightly more forward than the Shure"

would you agree with this with your U205?

paskinn
06-08-2015, 16:11
I would love to try a proper U205 - since it was my reference cartridge chosen against all and sundry 20 years ago. The Jico stylus is excellent, and the U205 fitted with it is a great cartridge - but not as great as the original, unless my memory is playing shocking tricks on me

:cool:

Aural memory is known to be highly unreliable....no way you can accurately compare a cartridge you hear in 2015 with one you heard many years ago, no doubt in a different system. It's just not possible, no matter how much we like to think it is (and we all do!).
Re the Jico, yes, generally a bit brighter and more lively than the stylus it replaces, but still pretty decent. At least they exist, and you can buy them to keep old cartridges going.

DSJR
06-08-2015, 16:17
I have an original V15III and yes, it is a little 'relentless' with some vinyl. The VN35HE was a clear step up and I heard this before reading a re-review on it by Martin Colloms.

A friend with highly trustworthy ears has tried the Jico, their SAS and also an Ed Saunders from a couple of years ago. the Ed Saunders was closest of all to the Shure original, for good or bad, and the Jico's did change things a bit, although a little research has shown that Jico do seem to try to emulate what Shure were doing as regards magnet shape etc. The SAS is a thing of beauty and very carefully made though.

Oldpinkman
06-08-2015, 16:46
A write up on vinylengine describes the Jico as:

"JICO VN35 $78.00, bonded elliptical, Japan, lively and great sounding, slightly more forward than the Shure"

would you agree with this with your U205?

Probably. I'm not sure I could put my finger on what was the issue - it seemed outstanding to be honest whenever I tried to evaluate it. It just wasn't quite doing something - so maybe a "bit more forward" - but hardly, and very good in its own right. It occurs to me that Arthur has an unspoiled original at the factory. I might have a go at comparing next time I'm down.

DarrenHW
06-08-2015, 17:11
...Re the Jico, yes, generally a bit brighter and more lively than the stylus it replaces, but still pretty decent...

Thanks for your thoughts Peter :).

At least they exist, and you can buy them to keep old cartridges going.

:exactly:

I have an original V15III and yes, it is a little 'relentless' with some vinyl. The VN35HE was a clear step up and I heard this before reading a re-review on it by Martin Colloms.

A friend with highly trustworthy ears has tried the Jico, their SAS and also an Ed Saunders from a couple of years ago. the Ed Saunders was closest of all to the Shure original, for good or bad, and the Jico's did change things a bit, although a little research has shown that Jico do seem to try to emulate what Shure were doing as regards magnet shape etc. The SAS is a thing of beauty and very carefully made though.

I've read that the early Ed Saunders were considered very close to the original a pity they don't have the reputation they used to. The EVG is now considered the closest to the original (I think) and allegedly (although at the price I'm doubtful) is made by Jico. I think I'll order one of these to compare to the original: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261448782408?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. I'm glad you consider the HE to be a step up, Jico do a HE replacement too.

I've read that the V15 is very sensitive to capacitance, I believe we have similar Crofts http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?39850-K-Billy%92s-Super-Sounds-of-the-70%92s (about halfway down the first post), although I think you have more valves in your PS? How have you found it with your Super Micro?

Probably. I'm not sure I could put my finger on what was the issue - it seemed outstanding to be honest whenever I tried to evaluate it. It just wasn't quite doing something - so maybe a "bit more forward" - but hardly, and very good in its own right. It occurs to me that Arthur has an unspoiled original at the factory. I might have a go at comparing next time I'm down.

I know what you're saying, if you do get a chance to compare I'd be interested in your thoughts.