PDA

View Full Version : Phono stage for an Orbe?

supapeet
01-08-2015, 15:24
Orbe arrived today and sounds amazing. My amp is a Music Fidelity 3.2 integrated amp and speakers are Monitor Audio Gold floor standers.

What phono stages would you recommend I listen to. I have a £600 budget.

Thanks

Floyddroid
01-08-2015, 15:33
NVA Phono 2. I am using one with my Orbe SE. Cracking!

Haselsh1
01-08-2015, 15:37
Glen Croft unit although M/M only. Five hundred quid and totally hand built. Also, a valve unit of impeccable pedigree.

http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk/RIAA.html

Ali Tait
01-08-2015, 15:41
Firebottle.

Stratmangler
01-08-2015, 15:52
Graham Slee Era Gold V
http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/eragoldvphonostagepreamp.htm

bob4333
01-08-2015, 17:23
Orbe arrived today and sounds amazing. My amp is a Music Fidelity 3.2 integrated amp and speakers are Monitor Audio Gold floor standers.

What phono stages would you recommend I listen to. I have a £600 budget.

Thanks

Icon Audio PS 1.2 (used), should come in for circa £450 - £550. Everything is replaceable from Icon at Leicester should you need anything (unlikely, they're built like a tank) and you'll sell it for what you paid for it in a couple of years time if you want to move up. All valves are available at sensible prices too! It'll add a touch of warmth to the MA speakers and build on the considerable soundstage and quality bass your deck is famous for.

I had one for about 4 years whilst I scraped the cash together for a PS 3. I tried a few solid state designs before shelling out for the PS 3 but they couldn't even get close.

Good luck whatever you decide to go with.

DiveDeepDog
01-08-2015, 20:08
Need to know what cartridge you intend to use.

The best Trichord you can afford is a very flexible place to start 2nd hand. I'd start Dino/NCPSU .

Gazjam
01-08-2015, 20:21
Firebottle.

+1
Works great with my Michell deck.

daytona600
01-08-2015, 21:14
project rs phono

Floyddroid
02-08-2015, 11:12
The list is endless.

struth
02-08-2015, 11:31
schiit mani

fordy
02-08-2015, 15:40

The best Trichord you can afford is a very flexible place to start 2nd hand. I'd start Dino/NCPSU .

Thats the correct first Question! More important than even knowing what TT you are using really :)

Cartridge is MM or MC? What is it? Specs?

supapeet
02-08-2015, 22:01
It's a MM Ortofon 2M Bronze. Thanks for the helpful replies so far.

struth
02-08-2015, 22:05
it is mm, ...red, blue, bronze and black are the range

KONDO
02-08-2015, 22:09

that would be a good choice,having owned one,ps audio seems to get good reviews,but dont see many

KONDO
02-08-2015, 22:12
schiit mani

heard this sounds good,and cheap

struth
02-08-2015, 22:56
heard this sounds good,and cheap

Yes Charlie, pretty darn good for the money. I'm quite happy with mine tbh

fordy
03-08-2015, 07:04
It's a MM Ortofon 2M Bronze. Thanks for the helpful replies so far.

So since you don't need an MC section I'd counsel the best valve stage you can get. Someone earlier mentioned the Icon Audio PS3. I had one of these for a while and it was really very good, bettering solid state stages from the likes of MF and Whest. Easy to find and the right price too. World Audio Designs and E.A.R. Might just come in budget too.

If you prefer solid state designs then I really like the Graham Slee ERA Gold and derivatives in your budget. I use one of their Revelation models for old mono vinyl that benefit from an EQ tweak but fundamentally its an ERA Gold underneath and it's an excellent low noise and detailed sounding phono stage.

petrat
03-08-2015, 10:23
If you only need moving magnet, I would strongly recommend this .... http://www.loungeaudio.com/#!lcr-mr-iii/c1vla

Direct from the manufacturer, avoiding distributor and retail margins, I guess this is a thousand quid phonostage for £300 delivered. Very happy with mine.

Ali Tait
03-08-2015, 10:57
That looks interesting Peter, not going to NEBO in November by any chance?

Darren66
03-08-2015, 16:00
If you only need moving magnet, I would strongly recommend this .... http://www.loungeaudio.com/#!lcr-mr-iii/c1vla

Direct from the manufacturer, avoiding distributor and retail margins, I guess this is a thousand quid phonostage for £300 delivered. Very happy with mine.

Hi Peter how long have you had yours, and was it straight from America. I sent them an email about costs but no reply yet.
Darren

supapeet
03-08-2015, 21:44
Hi Peter how long have you had yours, and was it straight from America. I sent them an email about costs but no reply yet.
Darren

I've just looked on the site and it quotes 300 dollars plus 60 dollars postage and packaging.

I'm not sure about buying something I haven't auditioned first with my system and that's true of a few options on here.

I'm searching the net for each of the suggestions made, having a good read of some reviews and checking out whether the dealer I use stocks them. They only have Project and Trichord of all the helpful recommendations that have been made. I'd be interested to hear valve options as this was something I hadn't considered. The Firebottle sounds very interesting.

Thanks for all the help so far, it's really appreciated.

bob4333
04-08-2015, 08:06
Peter, a pause for thought.

You've invested heavier than many in your turntable so I guess it might be a long term buy. You may be using MM just now and may be "welded" to your choice, but if you're partnering the TT with items in a similar performance bracket then at some point you may wish to experiment with MC carts, so a phono stage that will cater for both could be a cost saving choice in the long run. I'm certainly not denigrating MM carts, having last week bought another, it's just good to have options. A lesson it took me a long time to appreciate was "buy well and buy once".

If you go for a MM only stage then you'll be adding a Step Up Transformer (SUT) or Head Amp to go MC at some future point - which is a science in itself and there are many on here who'll gladly argue and advise on the finer points of what to look for.

I found it difficult to audition the Icon Audio stuff when I was looking as there weren't many dealers, but the Company has a demo room at it's HQ in Leicester. I asked "what if I buy one and it sounds different at home?". David Shaw said "That's why we do a 30 day money back offer. Don't like it - we'll refund your money. We've yet to have one returned".

I appreciate simplicity.

petrat
04-08-2015, 16:35
Darren

Sorry, just seen this ... too many Peters on this thread!
Yes straight from America ... with postage and HM duty, it cost me £295 in total. Took two weeks to arrive a couple of months ago ... only used in last two weeks or so ... see post 138 onwards here ... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?25422-PetRat-HiFi/page3

petrat
04-08-2015, 16:37
That looks interesting Peter, not going to NEBO in November by any chance?

Will try to go, combined with a visit to my old Dad in Darlington. If I do, will bring it along.

Ali Tait
04-08-2015, 17:20
Good stuff, I'd like to hear it.

Darren66
04-08-2015, 19:25
Sorry, just seen this ... too many Peters on this thread!
Yes straight from America ... with postage and HM duty, it cost me £295 in total. Took two weeks to arrive a couple of months ago ... only used in last two weeks or so ... see post 138 onwards here ... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?25422-PetRat-HiFi/page3

Thanks Peter will have a look

supapeet
04-08-2015, 23:59
Peter, a pause for thought.

You've invested heavier than many in your turntable so I guess it might be a long term buy. You may be using MM just now and may be "welded" to your choice, but if you're partnering the TT with items in a similar performance bracket then at some point you may wish to experiment with MC carts, so a phono stage that will cater for both could be a cost saving choice in the long run. I'm certainly not denigrating MM carts, having last week bought another, it's just good to have options. A lesson it took me a long time to appreciate was "buy well and buy once".

If you go for a MM only stage then you'll be adding a Step Up Transformer (SUT) or Head Amp to go MC at some future point - which is a science in itself and there are many on here who'll gladly argue and advise on the finer points of what to look for.

I found it difficult to audition the Icon Audio stuff when I was looking as there weren't many dealers, but the Company has a demo room at it's HQ in Leicester. I asked "what if I buy one and it sounds different at home?". David Shaw said "That's why we do a 30 day money back offer. Don't like it - we'll refund your money. We've yet to have one returned".

I appreciate simplicity.

Bob the Orbe TT is probably the last one I'll ever own unless a lottery win comes in. That's good advice and I did think if I just go for MM phono stage I would be limiting future options. I guess I would have to make a trip to Leicester if I couldn't find a dealer more local and the 30 day return option makes that look like an attractive option.

I was considering getting hold of a Schiit Mani and trying that for a few months. If I then upgraded I would have something to compare with and at that point I could give the Mani to my youngest who will be taking the Linn Axis.

I really appreciate the help and advice.

struth
05-08-2015, 00:03
Bob the Orbe TT is probably the last one I'll ever own unless a lottery win comes in. That's good advice and I did think if I just go for MM phono stage I would be limiting future options. I guess I would have to make a trip to Leicester if I couldn't find a dealer more local and the 30 day return option makes that look like an attractive option.

I was considering getting hold of a Schiit Mani and trying that for a few months. If I then upgraded I would have something to compare with and at that point I could give the Mani to my youngest who will be taking the Linn Axis.

I really appreciate the help and advice.

I got mine as a stand bye, but have ended up using it day to day. It is well made and sounds very, very good . Don't let its lowly price deter you, if you fancy a try. at least if you dont like it then it will sell without costing you much..... bet you'll like it though;)