PDA

View Full Version : Garth Brooks 1993: Secondhand CD sales should be banned because I don't get royalties

Audio Advent
31-07-2015, 22:33
I came across this news article from 1993 that's been posted on the internet and thought it might be interesting to look back on with regard to today's copyright/royalty complaints of today's artists.

Back then Garth Brooks was ranting against secondhand CD sales because artists don't get paid royalties a second time and that the secondhand market prevents people being forced to buy new (and so produce royalties).

To me this just goes to show how warped peoples minds have been in the music industry about royalties since the big money came in some time 40/50 odd years ago.

The more I think about it, the more I think artists should get either paid for their work as a one-off like a commision or have a limited time to recoupe and earn money from an album before having to go back to work again on the next, like the original 14 year copyright length. And then make a load from touring and playing live. It seems so crazy to me that artists expect an eternal golden egg laying goose for only one bit of work they did once.. Other than image rights perhaps (which move into the same crazy area), an artist artist (painter, sculptor etc) gets paid for the sale of that single work and following commisions. Of course fans are free to support them any way they wish for new projects etc.

Also gives a sign for the future where there are no secondhand media items because of downloads and legally downloads can't be transfered from person to person (part of the terms of licence to listen).

Discuss?

struth
31-07-2015, 22:39
Couldnt agree more. When you buy a record you pay for the rights to that record. if then you wish to sell it then you sell on those rights. That is why your not allowed to make copies and sell them.

Joe
31-07-2015, 22:53
How much would a secondhand Garth Brooks CD go for? 1p?

Arkless Electronics
31-07-2015, 23:53
You would have to pay me a considerable amount to even dispose of such a thing for you...:D

Canetoad
01-08-2015, 00:07
Couldnt agree more. When you buy a record you pay for the rights to that record. if then you wish to sell it then you sell on those rights. That is why your not allowed to make copies and sell them.

Totally agree. Who is Garth Brooks? :ner:

Audio Al
01-08-2015, 02:27

Sounds like a cowboy 2 me :D

johnB
01-08-2015, 06:52

I much preferred him when he played for Spurs.

Rothchild
01-08-2015, 07:18
Wonder how Garth would feel about the parallel logic that says:

'you already paid for the licence when you bought the vinyl, so if you bring the vinyl back to trade for the cd you only need to pay for the dupilcation costs (pennies) for the cd, rather than buying the licence (pounds) again.'

If I can't sell the licence I shouldn't have to buy it twice to have the content on 2 different formats. I can see no issue with 'format shifting' my media as the plastic it came on is not the main part of what I bought.

Presumably Garth has purchased new and kept (or destroyed) every book he's ever read too?

I noticed this (to my disgust) on a recent foray in to a new record shop (I tend to stick to chazzas and boots) all the stuff that's already paid for the makers pension (in some cases many times over - Beatles, Pink Floyd et al) is up for £25 a throw, but much of the new music can be had on vinyl for £10-15

Audio Advent
01-08-2015, 16:30
In the end, apparently his record label and him were forced to back down due to anti-trust laws in the US, the punishment that would otherwise have been dished out from the label's position of power.

Even though this was in 1993, isn't there the exact same mindset within the music industry? The legal challenge to the law change allowing people in the UK to copy our own CDs for personal use, putting them on ipods for example?

IHP
02-08-2015, 07:33
How much would a secondhand Garth Brooks CD go for? 1p?

Here's your answer.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garth-Brooks-Scarecrow-2001-/151757640857?hash=item235575d499&nma=true&si=OYU2LnAETMCkTMDLBpkwSdea1MI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

;-)

rdpx
03-08-2015, 13:35
It seems so crazy to me that artists expect an eternal golden egg laying goose for only one bit of work they did once.. Other than image rights perhaps (which move into the same crazy area), an artist artist (painter, sculptor etc) gets paid for the sale of that single work and following commisions. Of course fans are free to support them any way they wish for new projects etc.

"Artist artists" do actually have a way to profit from the secondary market for their work, as it happens:

http://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/artists-resale-right