PDA

View Full Version : My first proper post, with several newbie posts re DAC's !

steveinspain
21-09-2009, 18:06
OK, this is pretty much my first post here, and I am totally ignorant of DAC's.
I understand the basics of what they do, but need my hand held for a while - any help much appreciated. I will quickly point out that I am in rural Spain, and get internet and phone via a microwave system, which barely works - often it doesn't at all - speeds of 2kb/sec are regular, though we have been as high as 30 - all you broadband folks better not complain to me ! This means that I am unable to search easily, so while I am sure there are easy-to-find answers out there, it often takes me a few minutes to go from one page to another (as I have found reading the 'Digital Impression' thread here..).. Given this, I apologies for asking what may well be covered elsewhere, but pointing me towards the right place would be much appreciated !!
Right, I want to connect my pc to my hifi, which is a pretty decent system, made up of high end Avondaled Naim gear, with vinyl handled by an Orbe, SME1V and Tom Evans Groove.
I have an M-Audio 2496 soundcard, but there are no drivers for Windows 7, so I cannot use it at present.
So, if I get a DAC, can I take out the soundcard (my mobo is an Asus P5Q pro, so there is a digital out) and if so, from what I have been trying to learn, I need to get something like a Beresford caiman - what difference do the different connecting cables make and why ?
What else is there that I need to think about or learn about ?

Thanks all in advance, and can I just mention that Stan of Beresford fame has already been helpful, answering my questions sent direct to him on a Sunday and offering me a home trial despite my location !

sburrell
21-09-2009, 18:53
Hi there Steve!

I thought you might appreciate this link (http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=5151) to a thread started 1st September on the M-Audio forums. Someone has managed to get the 2496 working with Win7. The gist is this:

In light of the x64 vista debacle I thought it a good idea to let you all know that I got my Audiophile 2496 installed and working on Windows 7 v7000

By accessing the drive from my previous Vista x64 installation, I browsed the driver update to the %\PROGRAM FILES (X86) directory and let it search in subdirectories and it found the drivers and installed them no problems.

I did try to install the actual Vista x64 driver but it detected it was Windows 7 and failed. If there was a way to extract the actual files in the x64 driver it would have made my install easier. BUt nonetheless, It is working no problems which might prevent another 2 year wait for Win7 support!

Hope that helps to some degree. A brief look at the specs for the 2496 suggest that you'd have to use a digital coaxial cable for output, which is compatible with any of Stan's DACs, or USB, for which you'd need the 7520 or Caiman.

I'll let other, more experienced people answer further.

steveinspain
21-09-2009, 20:39
Hi Simon, and thanks for the reply - sadly, I am coming from XP. I am not, or maybe WAS not a big-time upgrader...
While money is tight, as it must be for most of us, I would rather buy the right thing once than buy twice, so am currently thinking of the Caiman as it seems to be the best product out there without going silly, but as this whole thing only started a few days ago, the more I can learn before spending the better - I did actually see the thread you linked to, but got as far as the 'vista' bit and stopped, thinking that an alternative must be out there, hence my appearence here.

One little question - why does your name sound familiar - do I know you from some other forum ?
Cheers
Steve

Alex_UK
21-09-2009, 22:02
Steve - I can only summarise from what I have read on here - but I've not seen anyone state that the Caiman is anything other than an improvement over the 7510 or 7520. For the relative little difference in cost, I personally decided I wanted the best, I would always have felt short-changed with a lesser model than the Caiman, once I knew it existed (I'm unlikely to start modding) - I think the rest of your system completely warrants the Caiman, but then It's not my money, or my system!

steveinspain
22-09-2009, 05:48
The other factor is that Stan only has Caimans readily available..!
As for it being my money and my system - well, it is my system, but my flexible friends money.
I think I am about to become a customer, but just need to wait till I can arrange some sort of delivery - talk about buying blind - I had never heard of Stan till 3 days ago !

tangye
07-10-2009, 15:15
Hi Steve,

I'm sort of in the same boat as you - ish - I have my hifi packed away with just my laptop some headphones and my server running. I bought a 7520 from Stanley, blind, and plug the usb from my laptop to the DAC, I'm pretty sure this bypasses the souncard and gives you a 16bit digital output, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
When the unit first turned up the sound wasn't great but after playing music on a continuous loop for a few days I must say it's staggering, really.
Because I can't stop tinkering with things I've changed the DAC chip for the Wolfson one and swapped out the opamps which again make a difference, but I'd still be happy with the 7520 as standard, quite remarkable.

steveinspain
13-10-2009, 04:43
Tangye - since you posted I have become a customer of Stans - not got it yet, but a Caiman and the new power supply are awaiting me next month - now to think about headphones...!