PDA

View Full Version : VPI HW-19 Mk 2 Turntable

musicmanrob
29-07-2015, 01:57
Hello all and I am brand new here and just stumbled onto your forum. Thank you for accepting me here. I have a VPI-19 Mk 2 turntable with a 1.4in acrylic platter. I am on the verge of ordering the latest collar for the Jelco 750D tone arm I have mounted. I have a choice of the 20mm, 40mm or 60mm collar. Are these actual thickness of these collars? Initiall, I order (today) the 60mm item. However, after giving it some thought, and wanting to catch the order before I goes out, I decided to order the 40mm collar because my thinking is, it will be tall enough to accomodate the taller 1.4inch acrylic platter I use. I am really confused about what the 30, 40 and 60mm measurements mean. Can anyone help me? If I need to, I want to change my order before It leaves the United Kingdom coming here to Georgia, USA. By the way, I am a lover of jazz and classical music. I am also owner of 2 Tascam reel to reel tape decks and recently recorded jazz and classical music tapes. I have been an audiophile for many years, since military in early years. I also love black and white photography. Please with my order from Ammonite Acoustics. Thank you so much.

musicmanrob

Audio Al
29-07-2015, 04:57
Hi Bob

Welcome to the forum

I am also owner of 2 Tascam reel to reel tape decks and recently recorded jazz and classical music tapes

We have a sub forum for R2R machines so put up some photos and some words :)

B/W photography is very good , do you develop and print your own work ?

I have a lot of 35mm and 67 cameras :eyebrows:

Cheers

Allen

struth
29-07-2015, 06:50
welcome Bob. I cant answer your question but someone reading this might...if not then open a thread in analogue in general forum and you will reach a larger audience

YNWaN
29-07-2015, 07:33
If you look on the Ammonite Acoustics website:

http://ammonite-acoustics.co.uk/home/ammonite-audio/

You can see that they (he) makes one collar (very nicely made too) and a range of spacers that can be placed below it in multiple steps (like very thick washers) to raise the arm. The 25 (don't know where you got 30 from), 40 and 60mm measurements don't have anything to do with the collar as such, it is the length of the mounting bolts supplied with the collar and relates to how thick the arm board is or how many spacers you are using with the collar. It's all on the website I have linked to - have a look at it.

musicmanrob
29-07-2015, 15:03
Thanks so much all for your friendly welcome to this forum. I feel blessed to be among so many friendly and talented folk. I got a message from "The Art Of Sound" folk who gave me great guidance regarding my Turntable/Jelco 750D situation. When I worked for the Dept. Of Defense in Germany I use to go all of my developing and printing. I worked as a photographer for a jazz club in Frankfurt Germany. That was a blast. I not only got a chance to hear many of the great jazz artist, but was able to photograph them for the club and myself. I loved doing that. And, while in Germany, I met a dear friend who was a school teacher there as well as a lover of antique autos. He was instrumental in introducing me to some of the finest great churches and choral groups in that area. Because of that experience and having access to a large number of record stores, I purchased a large collection of choral music. I have a deep love for the human voice. I loved every minute of the 7 years I spent there, plus I took trips to Paris, Spain and England. I was also able to purchase a 500mm Carl Zeiss lens for about $150 US dollars in Berlin. What an experience I had. I am happy to see many younger folk now purchasing turntables and records.

My love for Reel to Reel tape and recorders happend once I returned from Germany. Presently, I have a Tascam 32-B and Tascam 42B as well as a great sounding but inexpensive tube tape head preamp built for me by an outstanding Hi-End Audio Tech here in Georgia. I will locate your tape forum and try to post some photos there. Thanks again all for your very warm welcome. I sure do appreciate it and you all.

Bob:):)

Barry
29-07-2015, 15:15
Welcome to AoS Bob.

Nice introduction! We now know about the 'front end' of your system, but what cartridge, amplifier and speakers do you use?

We have a few members here who are keen on B&W photography. I like Zeiss lenses - I have 6 of them (to fit my venerable Exacta cameras): 25mm; 35mm; 50mm (Tessar and Pancolar) and a 135mm.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your Tascams. :)

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry

Spectral Morn
29-07-2015, 16:22
Welcome to AOS Bob

Regards Neil

Haselsh1
29-07-2015, 19:02
Welcome indeed to the forum. I adore black and white photography and medium/large format cameras and all things fine art black and white. Of course I also like music ;)

musicmanrob
29-07-2015, 19:28
Barry, thank you sir for your sharing. I am going to take time to try and figure out how to post photos of my system. While I was in Germany, I had a chance to go to Berlin when the wall was still dividing Germany. I purchased a 500mm Carl Zeiss lens for around $150 US dollars. My church pastor purchased a set of drums with traps, tom toms, etc for $200. We went over just before Christmas in 2003 and loaded up 3 cars with stuff. After arriving back to the USA and finding housing, someone came through an open window in a bedroom and stole all of my photo stuff. I was blown away and very angry. The police was not able to retrieve anything. I hope to have some photos up by Friday this week. Thanks again.

bob :)

YNWaN
29-07-2015, 21:30
I don't know if you still care about the Ammonite Acoustics arm collar you posted about earlier but hopefully you now have the answers you need....

please with (I guess you meant to add 'help') my order from Ammonite Acoustics

Ammonite Audio
30-07-2015, 07:03
Sorry for the delay in posting - I've only just noticed this thread! Anyway, I've sorted this out with Bob and he will shortly have his new collar.

musicmanrob
30-07-2015, 22:57
I don't know if you still care about the Ammonite Acoustics arm collar you posted about earlier but hopefully you now have the answers you need....

Actually, I've gone ahead and ordered a collar for my Jelco 750D arm. It is already on its way to me according to Mr. Hugo. I can't wait to get my hands on it so that I can setup my turntable. Thanks for asking.

bob:)

musicmanrob
30-07-2015, 23:05
Hello all,
I sure would appreciate some assistance on how to upload files of my system to this forum. I've looked at the graphics above and can't find anything that will let me get files to this page. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please be specific as I am not a tech type :).

bob

struth
30-07-2015, 23:07
You nwould need a hosting site firstly like imageshack or photobucket etc.

there is a walkthrough here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?34611-****-A-simple-step-by-step-guide-showing-how-to-include-pictures-in-your-ads-****

musicmanrob
31-07-2015, 17:43
Sorry for the delay in posting - I've only just noticed this thread! Anyway, I've sorted this out with Bob and he will shortly have his new collar.

Yes, Mr. Hugo Cass was very helpful and appeared to have gone out of his way to make certain I was more than well versed on his collar for my Jelco 750D. I was certainly a bit confused regarding the various measurments, but Mr. Cass explained explained all and went out of his way to send me extra clear measurements, etc. Thank you so much sir.

bob:):)

musicmanrob
31-07-2015, 17:53
Good evening Mr. Grant and thank you for this information. I am a member of several audio forums and have never run across a forum that did not already have a facility to import graphic files, etc, onto its pages. I will read what you've provided and see what I must do to show my system. Thanks again sir.

bob

Eagle owl
03-08-2015, 20:18
Hello and welcome Bob.

Geoff. :wave:

musicmanrob
04-08-2015, 13:54
Thank you all for your welcome. I very much appreciate your kindness. I am still trying to figure out how to upload some of my music system. This appears to be a very complex process. I'm still working on it. Bob:)

Desmo
04-08-2015, 14:00
Thank you all for your welcome. I very much appreciate your kindness. I am still trying to figure out how to upload some of my music system. This appears to be a very complex process. I'm still working on it. Bob:)

Hi Bob you are not alone. I've never figured it out, but don't worry about it, we can still talk about the music and our systems even if we can't always see them.

leg7
04-08-2015, 14:08
Hiyah mmr, tapes seem fairly popular on here and a tape deck is gonnah be my next buy.
Re your arm, don't it have to be level when the needle is in the groove? That's what I'd go for anyway, the shim that makes it straight.
p.s. don't take anything I say too seriously, fun fun fun is the name of the game.....x

Floyddroid
21-08-2015, 20:48
Welcome sir, i am yet another Tascam R2R man.

musicmanrob
21-09-2015, 22:54
Hello all, again, I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to post photos on this excellent forum. I will keep reading, but it sure would please me if this process was a little more simple. Thanks all

bob:)

walpurgis
21-09-2015, 23:03
Did you look here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?2-How-to-host-and-embed-images-in-your-posts