PDA

View Full Version : I.Q. - The Road of Bones

Box13
26-07-2015, 08:50
This album is sensationally brilliant, fabulously sublime!
( have I adequately conveyed the fact that I like it ! )
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rmSoVqdlzY4/UygNDtqNsZI/AAAAAAAAJCQ/EG4GkD8k86c/s1600/IQ+-+The+Road+Of+Bones+(2014).jpg

If you do not buy anything else this year Davros, Buy This!!!

Spectral Morn
26-07-2015, 09:36
This album is sensationally brilliant, fabulously sublime!
( have I adequately conveyed the fact that I like it ! )
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rmSoVqdlzY4/UygNDtqNsZI/AAAAAAAAJCQ/EG4GkD8k86c/s1600/IQ+-+The+Road+Of+Bones+(2014).jpg

If you do not buy anything else this year Davros, Buy This!!!

Just had a listen on YouTube ;) and yes it sounds very good. In away it reminds me a little of No Man, Tim Bowness and Steve Wilsons band, maybe around Together we are Stranger period. IQ are one of the neo prog bands I sort of ignored, as maybe wearing their influences too obviously but based on the above I would have to say they have matured very nicely and I will certainly pay more attention now.

Regards Neil

Box13
26-07-2015, 14:42
Just had a listen on YouTube ;) and yes it sounds very good. In away it reminds me a little of No Man, Tim Bowness and Steve Wilsons band, maybe around Together we are Stranger period. IQ are one of the neo prog bands I sort of ignored, as maybe wearing their influences too obviously but based on the above I would have to say they have matured very nicely and I will certainly pay more attention now.

Regards Neil

Their back catalogue is also worth listening to, especially 'Dark Matter'.
I never bother with labels regarding genre, after all what is 'Math Psyche Rock' anyway?
I regard I.Q. as 'Alternative Rock' and have no idea what neo prog is?!

Box13
26-07-2015, 14:43
By the way, you have not heard it yet, but the sound quality is a revelation.
Try to avoid muffled process third attempt on You Tube, it is shockingly poor.

Wakefield Turntables
26-07-2015, 15:31
neo prog is simply a term used to describe a fresh flush of bands carrying prog into the 80's i.e. Pendragon, Marillion, IQ etc

walpurgis
26-07-2015, 15:45
neo prog is simply a term used to describe a fresh flush of bands carrying prog into the 80's i.e. Pendragon, Marillion, IQ etc

That's funny. We just called it all Prog back then.

Wakefield Turntables
26-07-2015, 16:48

Yeah so would I, I didn't invent the term Geoff.

Box13
26-07-2015, 16:53
Yeah so would I, I didn't invent the term Geoff.

After a while it does not make sense does it chaps?
I have seen Tangerine Dream, Tears For Fears, Kraftwerk, Mastodon and The Moody Blues all labelled as Progressive music.
I just like I.Q. and think the new album a bit too heavy to be described as Progressive.

Wakefield Turntables
26-07-2015, 17:54
Define "progressive".

walpurgis
26-07-2015, 17:57
Define "progressive".

No! :lol:

Spectral Morn
26-07-2015, 18:22
By the way, you have not heard it yet, but the sound quality is a revelation.
Try to avoid muffled process third attempt on You Tube, it is shockingly poor.

Yes it is but I won't buy blind. You Tube gives me the opportunity to see if I like the music, recording quality if good is a bonus.

Regards Neil

Spectral Morn
26-07-2015, 18:24

We called them plagiarists with no original thoughts, just copy Genesis, Yes, Caravan, Camel etc

Regards Neil

Macca
27-07-2015, 11:14
Define "progressive".

If it has fast and slow sections within the same song and it is not classical music, then it is probably prog... ;)

Joe
27-07-2015, 11:40
If it has fast and slow sections within the same song and it is not classical music, then it is probably prog... ;)

If you liked it when you were in the fifth form at school, it's probably prog. If dragons, demons or Roger Dean are involved, it's definitely prog.

Macca
27-07-2015, 11:42
Agreed. If you put a Roger Dean painting on the front of the White Album it would immediately become prog, like it or not.

Joe
27-07-2015, 11:47
Agreed. If you put a Roger Dean painting on the front of the White Album it would immediately become prog, like it or not.

The White Album is prog, anyway.It's got that great long noodly one that takes up most of side 4.

Here we have the mighty HMHB's idea of what is prog, from 'Girlfriend's Finished With Him':

'Underneath the underlying tones and dizzy melodies
Next to the intelligent guitars
You’ll find frailty, beauty, sex as art
And something or other about dolphins
Parlourmaids, dandelions, things ’bout my mind
And a dead girl’s soul that lives inside me
And we don’t really know what it’s meant to be
But it’s an absolute depth of intensity'

Macca
27-07-2015, 12:38
The White Album is prog, anyway.It's got that great long noodly one that takes up most of side 4.

Good point. They probably intended to put a Roger Dean picture on the front but he was away on holiday or something. Hence the plain cover.

Floyddroid
31-07-2015, 15:43
http://progmeister.com/iq-road-bones

Barry
14-08-2015, 18:47
Good point. They probably intended to put a Roger Dean picture on the front but he was away on holiday or something. Hence the plain cover.

The plain cover was a deliberate decision. It was intended to be far removed and different from the 'busy' artwork of "Sgt. Pepper".

Macca
14-08-2015, 20:09
When the truth and the legend conflict: print the legend. They wanted Roger Dean but he was in Vegas playing blackjack.

'What about the White Album? There was nothing on that cover!' - Bobbi Fleckman

Stratmangler
14-08-2015, 20:24

Ah!
So Metallica are Prog!!
(Rubs chin, sagely) ;)

walpurgis
14-08-2015, 20:29
Ah!
So Metallica are Prog!!
(Rubs chin, sagely) ;)

Well that's not what I'd call them. Actually, I'd best not say what I'd call them. People would be up in arms! :lol: