PDA

View Full Version : firmware/dacs and cans

wee tee cee
24-07-2015, 17:34
For a couple of years I ran a BM2 with 650s and was very happy-upgraded to the battery optimised chip and was a happy bunny.

Tried the Caiman mk2-bought one not for its headphone amp performance but its ability as a DAC ( no night and day shite just a noticeabe improvement)

A Capella soon followed and really got me thinking about spending some serious money on cans.

A nervous Amazon purchase of 700s followed.....I Didnt look back-they are in a different league.

Kept the BM2/650s as I truly believe they just have a lovely synergy.

WELL.....Stans firmware chips have been plumbed into both DACs -the BM2 with 650s/the CM2 with Capella/700s. Two different rigs but chasing the same goal of musical enjoyment. My choice of words is very deliberate-enjoyment!!!

My Caiman rig is silly good sonically BUT the BM2/FIRMWARE/650 set up....well it just sounds marvelous. As soon as I got it up and running I thought it sounded very like my statics ( you can pick holes in its ultimate performance but you end up listening to music you love far too long into the small hours).

I have long believed in synergy between components/listener/room- revisiting this combo with the new firmware that just blueprints the engine I can fully justify all the booze I ingested listening into the wee small hours.

uproar13
25-07-2015, 10:00
I've got an upgraded Bushmaster mk2 currently running Grado SR 60's. I'm looking to upgrade the headphones to get the max from the Bushmaster. Any recommendations? Budget up to £300.

WAD62
25-07-2015, 10:19
I've got an upgraded Bushmaster mk2 currently running Grado SR 60's. I'm looking to upgrade the headphones to get the max from the Bushmaster. Any recommendations? Budget up to £300.

For £300 you do a lot worse than a pair of AKG 702s, driven by Stan's Capella amp...:eyebrows:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/241/dp/B001RCD2DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437819059&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+702

http://www.homehifi.asia/PP/cartview.html?id=20

...the Capella really brings the best out of my 702s :)

wee tee cee
26-07-2015, 00:20
The BM works really well with 650s,

As Will posted a Capella will get the best out of any cans you buy.