PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into Hi-Fi

MATMAH
23-07-2015, 19:34
Hi

I'm Mat, living just west of London. I used to be into Hi-Fi in a big way, but the home studio started to take up space. Now starting to chase my perfect sound again.

:)

MATMAH
23-07-2015, 19:41
Forgot to say, that I pretty much am starting from scratch again, with the exception that as I am a DJ one of my sources will be a pair of Technics SL1210's but I am contemplating a third turntable purely for audiophile use only.

struth
23-07-2015, 19:46
Forgot to say, that I pretty much am starting from scratch again, with the exception that as I am a DJ one of my sources will be a pair of Technics SL1210's but I am contemplating a third turntable purely for audiophile use only.

Oh, a lotta folk are gonna take you to task on that Matt:eyebrows:

Welcome to AoS Matt. Hope you find your nirvana system and sure the experts here will help you if you require them to

MATMAH
23-07-2015, 20:19
I've got a few Dansette's and a couple of Garrard Lab's in the cupboard which I am planning to sell soon, which hopefully will pay towards a half decent turntable. Even though I love the sound of my Technics, as they go through a DJ mixer (pretty good one), I am not overly happy with the preamps of that, and know I could get a better just by buying a half decent dedicated turntable and bypassing that stage of my audio chain. First thing for me though is a new set of speakers, and as soon as I can post in the Blank Canvas forum, I will then start asking for advice on this. :)

SLS
23-07-2015, 21:06
Well, a Behringer A500, A Tascam CD-240, some sort of pre-amp and some monitors and you'd be sorted.

I wish I'd been a DJ and used DJ/studio kit for my home audio instead of massively over-priced audio kit. Why is Behringer so cheap? Because they have 4,000 people making the stuff in the Philippines.

walpurgis
23-07-2015, 21:22
Hello Mat. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions if you want to discuss amps and speakers etc.

Where's "just west of London". Uxbridge maybe? :)

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

southall-1998
23-07-2015, 21:40
Welcome Mat.

I'm a West London (Southall) birth. Lived in Southall for 16 years before moving to Devon.

Sometimes, I miss visiting places like Ealing Broadway and Northwood.

S.

Eagle owl
24-07-2015, 18:55
Hello and welcome Matt.

Geoff. :wave:

Anthony K
24-07-2015, 19:06
:wave: Hi Matt

DSJR
24-07-2015, 21:21
Hi Matt,

Nowt wrong with a techie as you'll soon discover. Just look at siting, feet and maybe an alternative or supplementary mat (I like cheapo cork ones, but choice is personal of course). Go further with a beefier headshell (or better headshell wires at least) and even the stock arm can do good justice to some very good cartridges as long as you don't go to extremes. I don't need to w@nk on about further techie mods as they're well documented here, but just to add that the stock arm does have a lot of mileage in it and Audio Origami can do a foam fill in the pipe that will deaden the 'ting' in the pipe itself.

What you could also invest in if you haven't already is a record cleaning machine, some Nagaoka inner sleeves if they can still be got and lastly, a half decent phono stage. I know two people who are fans of their Schiit Mani stage for just over a ton. I respect the Rega Fono and have rather too much to do with the NVA Phono 1 to be able to talk much about it, except to say that it's more 'hand made' than the others, sounds great and can be set-up for any reasonable cartridge out there as regards gain and loading...

Haselsh1
25-07-2015, 20:03
Yeah Man, welcome so much to AOS and get yerself a decent hi-fi deck ;)

tapid
30-07-2015, 11:25
Bet you don't miss the traffic shane. Welcome to the mat Matt !

Us-&-Them
18-08-2015, 20:31
Something I miss in today's quick sale, fast money/profit world is one of the joys of going to a proper hi-fi retailer - being able to sit down and audition hi-fi separates properly without the pressure of sales people trying to persuade you into buying the item that makes them the most money by telling you all the 5h1t/lies they can think of; also, the ability of being able to make YOUR OWN hands-on, informed AUDIABLE choice!! !!!

There's still a few "PROPER" HI-FI shops about - go in and try some proper gear and use your own ears to decide what sounds best FOR YOU !!;)