PDA

View Full Version : Streaming issues - RPi2/IQAudioDAC running OSMC

martian sunrise
23-07-2015, 09:16
Hi all,

I am currently having issues streaming audio from my iMac, iphone, iPad, etc to my Pi2.

The Pi2 is running OSMC and is connected through the IQ Audio Dac+ to the amp. I have the audio from the computer playing through it via Airplay, and I stream spotify to it from the iPhone/Ipad (also via Airplay).

I can get it all set up and running, but after a while, it jumps and stutters and gets more and more choppy to the point that it is unlistenable. If I wired the phone to the amp and stream Spotify to it via the iPad, it all seems fine, but when it is going to the Pi it seems to wig out. is this a settings issue or a network issue?

I am getting to the point where I am about to bin it all, so any advice from those more knowledgeable than me is most welcome!!!

Thanks in advance

Richie

Gazjam
23-07-2015, 10:58
Hi Richie,

When PC stuff gets to the boundary of its limits it tends to cut out.
Are you streaming to the Pi2 via WiFi or ethernet?

If Wifi, I've found than it can strain the system so to speak, and running a wired connection to your Router can solve a lot of problems.

AlanS
23-07-2015, 11:17
Connect your pi to the network by cable not WiFi

I started off trying to use WiFi it just isn't resilient enough for particularly higher resolution stuff. Cat 5/6 not WiFi

Kit1cat
23-07-2015, 12:04
You could try a WiFi extender if WiFi is the problem. Check any resampling settings you may be using in the pi software, my pi stutters on some of the higher resampling settings.

martian sunrise
23-07-2015, 12:37
thanks for the responses.

it is wifi. The router is in the room, probably 3m from the Pi. Am i right to assume it is the pi that is struggling, rather than the network?

i have half-inched a long cable from work to try it wired to see is it makes a difference.

AlanS
23-07-2015, 12:46
Yes the pi and it's WiFi is struggling. You will find the cable makes a difference.

martian sunrise
23-07-2015, 13:02
ah, okay. thanks.

that defeats the whole point of using it. i may need to run it under the carpet

Gazjam
23-07-2015, 13:14
The Pi's a great digital source, its worth making the effort to run it wired.

martian sunrise
23-07-2015, 13:42
yeah, i have to admit - it did sound fantastic when it was working.

Kit1cat
23-07-2015, 13:52
I thought the stuttering on my pi was wifi related so tried a few songs from a usb stick and had the same problem, setting the resample rates to 24-32/96 or lower solved my problem. It's difficult to try a wired connection in my setup with the pi downstairs and the router in a bedroom, I will try the higher sample settings again via headphones next time I update moode player on my sd card.

martian sunrise
23-07-2015, 14:04
I'll try that too. i am a bit of a noob with all this, so i will need to work out how to do it.

it is much easier when the troubleshooting involves: is it on? connections good? right channel? !!!

i just want it to work and stay out of the way...

martian sunrise
23-07-2015, 19:54
As an update, it def works flawlessly wired. I'll give the lower sample rates a go another time.

Right now the tunes are winning and MUST remain the priority.

Thanks all.

Kit1cat
23-07-2015, 20:54
Wired is the best way to go if it's practicle.

r100
23-07-2015, 21:00
maybe the dongle ? mine was wireless and never had an issue .. but wired = peace of mind

NRG
23-07-2015, 21:30
You could try a WiFi extender if WiFi is the problem. Check any resampling settings you may be using in the pi software, my pi stutters on some of the higher resampling settings.

Just a side note...WiFi extenders or repeaters halve your available bandwidth for anything connected to them...their main function is to extend the WiFi coverage at the cost of bandwidth unless they are dual band.

struth
24-07-2015, 16:48
my rpi iqdac just failed during playback. i rebooted and still coming up on svreen with failed startpar...any ideas or do i need to run a new image

sorry put this in wrong place have started new thread

Rothchild
24-07-2015, 19:20
Richie,

It's probably worth logging in to your pi via ssh and running htop to see what's hogging the processor / memory so you can make some informed decisions about where your bottleneck is likely to be.